How to make an SMBX project

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Marco-
Goomba
Goomba
Chat Username: Marco9

How to make an SMBX project

Postby Marco- » Fri May 29, 2020 12:44 pm

Hello. Does anyone know how to make an SMBX project? if you know how, please reply to me.
This is also a topic so you can add to this topic. :)

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: How to make an SMBX project

Postby Enjl » Fri May 29, 2020 12:55 pm

An episode consists of a so-called "episode folder" that will be put inside the worlds folder of people who download it.
Inside this episode folder should be:
- a world file (.wld), which contains some infos about your episode, as well as either the world map or the setting to have it disabled
- all level files (.lvl, or .lvlx in smbx2), which are linked together either through a world map or a hub (in case of a disabled world map, the level initially loaded (the hub) into would use warps to link to other levels)
- a folder for each level that uses custom assets like graphics. the folder must be called the same as the level filename (without the extension)
- any episode-wide custom graphics, music or other assets can be placed in the episode folder as well

Sample hierarchy:

Code: Select all

worlds
- myEpisode
-- level1
--- musicforlevel1.mp3
-- level1.lvl
-- level2.lvl
-- myworldmap.wld
As soon as the .wld file is created and the episode folder is in your worlds folder, you should notice the episode appear on the main menu/launcher.

When you're done making the episode, you can compress the episode folder into a zip archive and upload it to the internet via services like Google Drive or Dropbox (if anyone replies to this saying that mediafire works too, they're a villain), and then link it whereever is appropriate.

If you're confused about any part of this and would like more practical examples, you can go into the worlds folder of your own smbx installation and look at what the preinstalled episodes are like in terms of structure.
The ABC of Creation

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Re: How to make an SMBX project

Postby Taycamgame » Fri May 29, 2020 1:23 pm

Enjl wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:55 pm
When you're done making the episode, you can compress the episode folder into a zip archive and upload it to the internet via services like Google Drive or Dropbox (if anyone replies to this saying that mediafire works too, they're a villain), and then link it whereever is appropriate.
mediafire works too
:twisted:

Sorry I had to :) But i agree that mediafire is bad and shouldn't really be used.

Also btw, if your episode isn't too large, you can upload it onto Discord too. But usually I'd stick to actual sites like the ones Enjl mentioned
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Return to “General”