[Factory] The Storage Room™️

Forum for submissions to the Official™ SLAM Collab project!
8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm
Current Project: Many, MANY stuff
Chat Username: 8luestorm

[Factory] The Storage Room™️

Postby 8lue Storm » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:27 pm

What happens in The Storage Room™️ stays in The Storage Room™️. A level with cardboard boxes and explosive gravity shenanigans.

-Difficulty: Medium-Hard
-Has one exit
-Has Dragon Coins
-Song: Shovel Knight: A Thousand Leagues Below (Iron Whale) (SMW Port)
-Sprites: CM30, 8luestorm, Zephyr, Shinbison, Kojimkj and Mudkip.

Click the screenshot to download the level.

hopefully this one is good :<
Last edited by 8lue Storm on Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i never performed a shelljump and it's sad I did a grand total of 4 shelljumps in my life!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: [Factory] The Storage Room™️

Postby Enjl » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:10 am

I find the section after the checkpoint to be very long and difficult. The way in which everything is very spaced out contributes to this, I think. It makes it so that for any setup you have to walk the length of a screen or two, which makes it difficult to also predict what will happen next. I was playing as Mario and didn't go for the Star Coins.
The ABC of Creation

8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby 8lue Storm » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:15 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:10 am
I find the section after the checkpoint to be very long and difficult. The way in which everything is very spaced out contributes to this, I think. It makes it so that for any setup you have to walk the length of a screen or two, which makes it difficult to also predict what will happen next. I was playing as Mario and didn't go for the Star Coins.
I'll reduce the space between the cardboard box platforming areas, but why does the space in between them make it "difficult to predict what will happen next"?
Also, if it weren't for that last setup in the section you're talking about, its length would be closer to that of the first two sections, so I don't get where "long" could be coming from beside from what you said.

i never performed a shelljump and it's sad I did a grand total of 4 shelljumps in my life!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:39 pm

8lue Storm wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:15 pm
Enjl wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:10 am
I'll reduce the space between the cardboard box platforming areas, but why does the space in between them make it "difficult to predict what will happen next"?
Also, if it weren't for that last setup in the section you're talking about, its length would be closer to that of the first two sections, so I don't get where "long" could be coming from beside from what you said.
Iunno.. Maybe it just felt long because I died a lot. Length-wise they're probably similar, but it takes a long time to get back to where I died (the last two setups in the third section, and beyond there).
As for spaced out stuff, the screen is only 25 blocks wide and 19 blocks tall. And there are setups here that span two or more screens in width or height. One example is the cargo platform that drops down onto a moving arrow that occasionally lets you go past. I rode that one back up a few times at first so I could take a look at the area ahead. I carried out the jumps across the cargo platforms and made it up the deviously tight jumps to the explosive box and then died there because I couldn't easily read what was going on, since the setup here also spans several screens vertically. After my death I saw the box move back up and into a switch and I knew what to do then, but it was a lot of area to traverse to get back. (Even after learning that I kept continuously misjudging this setup by jumping onto the switches before the platform rose back up, so it made up for a lot of my deaths, oops!)
The ABC of Creation

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: I've defeated humor

Postby Sancles-Chan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:47 pm

I think the level could use to be a little bit shorter, getting back to the boost block setup takes a long time and that setup is also by far the hardest part of the level (maybe remove the key setup before it?).
Also I didn't immediately register the exploding crates as explosive, I thought the exclamation marks were supposed to represent boots or something, so maybe replace that icon with a bomb or something similiar.
Lastly, I have no idea how to get the third dragon coin.
I go by She/Her for everyone.

8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby 8lue Storm » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:27 pm

Sancles-Chan wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:47 pm
Lastly, I have no idea how to get the third dragon coin.
stomp swooper
I should've made it clearer, perhaps I'll attach some coins or arrows or something

I'll be taking your, Enjl's and AirShip's reviews into consideration and make adjustments asap.

8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby 8lue Storm » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:56 pm

Updated according to the feedback. Should be at least a bit better now.

Return to “SLAM”