SMBX-38A | Another Super Mario Bros 3 NES

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Sebas Oroscopo
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Chat Username: Sebas Oroscopo

SMBX-38A | Another Super Mario Bros 3 NES

Postby Sebas Oroscopo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:18 pm

this time I bring you an episode of a new aventure based of the super mario bros 3 with the original graphics of NES, it has 95% of the enemies of this installment with their respective graphics, sounds and others, I hope you enjoy the game that has several hidden secrets to complete it 100%, soon I will upload a gameplay or longplay for those who want it.
PD: I already know the project of CJ_RLushi That has the same name of the project, but it isn't planned lol

Screenshots
Spoiler: show
world map
some levels
Download
Last edited by Sebas Oroscopo on Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

CJ_RLushi
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: Intention is what matters
Current Project: Another Super Mario Bros. 3 Remake [SMBX2]

Re: SMBX-38A | Another Super Mario Bros 3 NES

Postby CJ_RLushi » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:54 am

From the screenshots this looks from decent to really good, though you say that this is a remaster, but this seems more like an episode with a lot of inspiration from SMB3, so it wouldn’t exactly be a remaster, unless those screens are from new levels and there are mostly base SMB3 levels, might try it tomorrow.

Look this has a really similar name as my project
My episode lol:

Sebas Oroscopo
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Sebas Oroscopo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:17 am

CJ_RLushi yeah I see your project in the moment that I post mine. It looks great, I wanna try it

CJ_RLushi
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby CJ_RLushi » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:15 pm

CJ_RLushi wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:19 pm
Some dude in a facebook Community had it, but that guy decided to improve it using 1.4.5, which means that it got trapped into 38As format, so I decided to rebuild Phil's remake based on that, but the result was full of junk with all those workarounds that Phil had to use, so I eventually decided to start a new remake from scratch, now using LUA and all of SMBX2 base features.

Also this message is talking to you too.
[/quote]

Nope, its a compleeetely different thing, the dude that made other remake was also in All Stars style, this seems that is made from the ground up, and doesnt even seem like a remake of SMB3, the name was a coincidence lol
SuperSaiyanVere wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:29 am
EDIT: Also, the project needs SMBX2 Beta 4 to run without exact possible game-crashing issues, plus you still using SMBX 38A (1.4.0.5) at the time :lol:
There's no problem with using 38A, its just a different version with different stuff, not an outdated thing or anything like that

Added in 5 hours 1 second:
So I played a bit of world one, and yes, this is not a remaster at all, its an episode with original SMB3 themed levels, maaybe something like return to dinosaur land but in SMB3, my only problem is that even world 1 can get a bit spammy, specially that one with the para goombas, but its not bad at all, I would say it could be even good, but I don't know a lot of level judging, maybe it gets better or worse in later worlds, I'll try to complete it, and Eclipsed might too.

Also, I had no Idea this existed until yesterday.
My episode lol:

Sebas Oroscopo
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Sebas Oroscopo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:03 pm

Thanks CJ_RLushi, i'm not the Best making levels but i enjoy doing it, tell me when You complete more levels what do you think, and the matter of it is a remaster now is fixed in the description, i know what a remaster is, sorry for that

Sebas Oroscopo
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Sebas Oroscopo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:01 am

Added in 47 seconds:
Eclipsed wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:23 pm
Sebas Oroscopo wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:03 pm
Hey, how do you access star world in your episode?
Eclipsed the way to access the star world (9) is getting all stars and all star coins in the 8 worlds, there are 11 stars and 219 star coins in total

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Postby Eclipsed » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:33 pm

Sebas Oroscopo wrote:
You could at least try to test your episode before publishing it. There's two star coins that are literally impossible to get because they're offscreen and one of the levels doesn't function properly. I've played every single one of your episodes and this is a consistent problem you have. It's not that hard to sit down and play through and 100% your levels to make sure there's no issues that make it impossible to beat.

Sebas Oroscopo
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Sebas Oroscopo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:55 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:33 pm
Sebas Oroscopo wrote:
You could at least try to test your episode before publishing it. There's two star coins that are literally impossible to get because they're offscreen and one of the levels doesn't function properly. I've played every single one of your episodes and this is a consistent problem you have. It's not that hard to sit down and play through and 100% your levels to make sure there's no issues that make it impossible to beat.
For your information I tested it 100% and everything is possible to collect, if it does not work for you, it is not my fault, sitting down to criticize is very easy, right? Didn't you see that by chance I left a game file WITH 100% of the game beated?

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:54 pm

Sebas Oroscopo wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:55 pm
Then explain to me why
1. This star coin doesn't work: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/673288213?t=00h30m30s
2. This platform doesn't work: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/674889573?t=00h10m59s
3. This platform also doesn't work: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/674889573?t=00h17m52s

Added in 5 minutes 4 seconds:
And, I'm using the latest patch 30 of smbx 38A.

Sebas Oroscopo
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Sebas Oroscopo » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:14 am

Eclipsed wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:59 pm
Sebas Oroscopo wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:55 pm
Then explain to me why
1. This star coin doesn't work: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/673288213?t=00h30m30s
2. This platform doesn't work: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/674889573?t=00h10m59s
3. This platform also doesn't work: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/674889573?t=00h17m52s

Added in 5 minutes 4 seconds:
And, I'm using the latest patch 30 of smbx 38A.

man I swear that in my game the star coins are fully accessible, the version of my launcher is 5438A38A
and the problem of the platforms must be for the same, something of the version, but then I will make those changes so that it does not happen to more people. Although the platform I would not know how to change it, if you have any idea you can tell me to apply it

I just made those changes in case you want to re-download it

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:59 am

Sebas Oroscopo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:14 am

man I swear that in my game the star coins are fully accessible, the version of my launcher is 5438A38A
and the problem of the platforms must be for the same, something of the version, but then I will make those changes so that it does not happen to more people. Although the platform I would not know how to change it, if you have any idea you can tell me to apply it

I'm guessing 38A engine is coded in such a way that levels randomly break for other people then sometimes.

dericobanjo
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: Try out Super Sackboy 64 in LBP3!
Chat Username: dericobanjo

Postby dericobanjo » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:21 am

Eclipsed wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:59 am
Sebas Oroscopo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:14 am

I'm guessing 38A engine is coded in such a way that levels randomly break for other people then sometimes.
Look like a similar thing about the An SMBX episode by Speedy that his episode work fine for him but get bug for me with debug message when I die only, you can check his post in his latest page but atleast his episode was still 100% doable because it only has bug of when I die in specific level, you can see what bug if you see my comment on his post.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:33 pm

dericobanjo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:21 am

Look like a similar thing about the An SMBX episode by Speedy that his episode work fine for him but get bug for me with debug message when I die only, you can check his post in his latest page but atleast his episode was still 100% doable because it only has bug of when I die in specific level, you can see what bug if you see my comment on his post.
No, he knows that the bug happened in that level. It wasnt because smbx randomly glitched out.

Added in 13 minutes 22 seconds:
Review
I just played another super mario bros, the latest 38A episode and after playing it I'll have to give any%ing the episode a 5/10. The episode has levels that are more unique than most smb3 types of episodes and the levels are memorable. The main issue with playing this episode is that world 6 and world 8 are not fun to play at all due to the 38A engine. Another thing that I liked about the episode is that World 8 didn't fill the entire world with autoscrollers like in SMB3. I'm fine with autoscroller levels but having 5 back to back is kind of tedious.

World 6 has ice physics which in the 38A engine automatically makes an episode a lot worse due to how they work in the engine
1. You feel like you're literally walking on quicksand if you want to change or build up momentum from a stationary position.
2. It glitches out randomly making it so you can't move for half a second midair or on the ground.
3. The ice physics after you jump off a ice block affects you midair for no reason
As a result, world 6 was not fun to play at all and honestly felt frustrating.

World 8 was also ruined by how bullet bill launchers were used in the 38A engine
In World 8 there were a lot of bullet bill launchers and as a result, this world was not fun to play. The way bullet bill launchers work is the second a launcher has a pixel on the spawn zone (not on screen, this is a bit off screen), the bullet instantly launches so as a result you would be playing and suddenly a bullet bill spawns that you would have no way of knowing of ahead of time unless you made or already played the level leading you to unfairly getting hit.

Another issue with this episode due to the engine was that hammer bros and its variants just rapidly fired. This would often lead you to unfairly getting hit through only RNG. Imagine if each time you played a level you had to roll a number less than 3 on a dice. This is what some of the levels felt like. Also another issue with the engine is some levels would just randomly bug out because apparently two levels would work differently for two different people in the engine.

Onto 100% and attempting to 100%ing this episode makes the quality of this a 4/10 due to the star coins. A good number of the star coins placements have an issue where you have to hit random invisible blocks to find them. Just because nintendo did that in one of their games doesn't make a good thing to do. There's no indication on where the blocks are and as a result it's virtually almost impossible to find and thus unfair. Another chunk of star coins requires you to already start the level big and as a result the levels don't exist in a vacuum, and it's kind of annoying that you don't find this out until after you beat a good chunk of the level.

The worst level in the episode is 6-2 due to it having a plethora of precise jumps, with ice physics that sometimes don't allow you to move randomly, only two powerups and a lot of RNG from fire bros. Fire bros in 38A are the worst hammer bros variant since their spawn zones are a bit off screen and their arc is the fastest making them the most annoying to dodge.

In fact, if this episode used SMBX2 to make their levels, the ice physics problem would not be there, the bullet bill launcher problem would not be there, the hammer bro RNG issue would not be there, and this episodes rating would jump to a 6/10 for Any% which is decent and 4.5/10 for 100%. Also, the levels wouldn't randomly break. Also, this is by far the author's best episode that I have played from them.

Sebas Oroscopo
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Sebas Oroscopo » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:46 pm
dericobanjo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:21 am

No, he knows that the bug happened in that level. It wasnt because smbx randomly glitched out.

Added in 13 minutes 22 seconds:
Review
I just played another super mario bros, the latest 38A episode and after playing it I'll have to give any%ing the episode a 5/10. The episode has levels that are more unique than most smb3 types of episodes and the levels are memorable. The main issue with playing this episode is that world 6 and world 8 are not fun to play at all due to the 38A engine. Another thing that I liked about the episode is that World 8 didn't fill the entire world with autoscrollers like in SMB3. I'm fine with autoscroller levels but having 5 back to back is kind of tedious.

World 6 has ice physics which in the 38A engine automatically makes an episode a lot worse due to how they work in the engine
1. You feel like you're literally walking on quicksand if you want to change or build up momentum from a stationary position.
2. It glitches out randomly making it so you can't move for half a second midair or on the ground.
3. The ice physics after you jump off a ice block affects you midair for no reason
As a result, world 6 was not fun to play at all and honestly felt frustrating.

World 8 was also ruined by how bullet bill launchers were used in the 38A engine
In World 8 there were a lot of bullet bill launchers and as a result, this world was not fun to play. The way bullet bill launchers work is the second a launcher has a pixel on the spawn zone (not on screen, this is a bit off screen), the bullet instantly launches so as a result you would be playing and suddenly a bullet bill spawns that you would have no way of knowing of ahead of time unless you made or already played the level leading you to unfairly getting hit.

Another issue with this episode due to the engine was that hammer bros and its variants just rapidly fired. This would often lead you to unfairly getting hit through only RNG. Imagine if each time you played a level you had to roll a number less than 3 on a dice. This is what some of the levels felt like. Also another issue with the engine is some levels would just randomly bug out because apparently two levels would work differently for two different people in the engine.

Onto 100% and attempting to 100%ing this episode makes the quality of this a 4/10 due to the star coins. A good number of the star coins placements have an issue where you have to hit random invisible blocks to find them. Just because nintendo did that in one of their games doesn't make a good thing to do. There's no indication on where the blocks are and as a result it's virtually almost impossible to find and thus unfair. Another chunk of star coins requires you to already start the level big and as a result the levels don't exist in a vacuum, and it's kind of annoying that you don't find this out until after you beat a good chunk of the level.

The worst level in the episode is 6-2 due to it having a plethora of precise jumps, with ice physics that sometimes don't allow you to move randomly, only two powerups and a lot of RNG from fire bros. Fire bros in 38A are the worst hammer bros variant since their spawn zones are a bit off screen and their arc is the fastest making them the most annoying to dodge.

In fact, if this episode used SMBX2 to make their levels, the ice physics problem would not be there, the bullet bill launcher problem would not be there, the hammer bro RNG issue would not be there, and this episodes rating would jump to a 6/10 for Any% which is decent and 4.5/10 for 100%. Also, the levels wouldn't randomly break. Also, this is by far the author's best episode that I have played from them.

thanks for the review, if I do another episode in the future I will learn to use the SMBX2 to avoid those engine problems, and the issue of the star coins I will also keep it in mind for that next occasion, thanks for playing my episode and sorry the frustration caused lol

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Sebas Oroscopo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 pm
thanks for the review, if I do another episode in the future I will learn to use the SMBX2 to avoid those engine problems, and the issue of the star coins I will also keep it in mind for that next occasion, thanks for playing my episode and sorry the frustration caused lol
It's fine I was only really extremely frustrated in 6-2. Also, this is definitely your best episode so far so keep improving.

CJ_RLushi
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby CJ_RLushi » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:49 pm

To be honest you could also use Teascript to fix those engine problems, but moving to X2 seems like an easier option than doing scripts
My episode lol:

Sebas Oroscopo
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Sebas Oroscopo » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:55 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:36 pm
Sebas Oroscopo wrote:
It's fine I was only really extremely frustrated in 6-2. Also, this is definitely your best episode so far so keep improving.
thanks for that, i have already seen your streams playing my episode, it was fun lol, i like it

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:07 pm

Sebas Oroscopo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:55 pm
Eclipsed wrote:
Sebas Oroscopo wrote:
thanks for that, i have already seen your streams playing my episode, it was fun lol, i like it
I've also played all your past episodes, and boy were they rough to play.

Sebas Oroscopo
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Sebas Oroscopo » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:44 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:07 pm
Sebas Oroscopo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:55 pm
Eclipsed wrote:

I've also played all your past episodes, and boy were they rough to play.

hard for the design or the difficulty in general? XD

Return to “Episodes”