VERSION 2.0 OUT NOW! | The Epic Quest by Unknown68D ~ My First SMBX Episode!

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Unknown68D
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Flair: Positivity!
Current Project: My very first SMBX Episode: The Epic Quest!
Chat Username: Unknown68D

VERSION 2.0 OUT NOW! | The Epic Quest by Unknown68D ~ My First SMBX Episode!

Postby Unknown68D » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:12 pm

OFFICIAL TRAILER:

I, Unknown68D, am proud to announce that my first-ever, long-awaited SMBX project, The Epic Quest, is FINALLY completed! In this episode, join Mario, Luigi & Toad as you partake in this traditional, yet benevolent epic. Essentially, it's an episode that takes great inspiration off of the NSMB series in terms of world layout and level progression, heavily incorporating elements from many of the classic 2D Mario games you all know & love! It features the classic 8 world themes, as well as a secret 9th world!

In terms of the story, it's about what you expect from many of the mainline Mario titles out there, in which you rescue Princess Peach. However, Bowser has more of a... scientific... motive for kidnapping Peach this time around. You'll meet various friends, learn more about the history of the Mushroom Kingdom & embark on various challenges as you traverse your way into Bowser's Darklands.

With over 100 unique levels, 90 stars to collect, 20 secret exits & a variety of boss fights both nostalgic & innovative, it will certainly be an epic to remember!

I have been a long-time player of SMBX for many years to date, and I've been working on this episode on and off for as long as I can remember. This has been BY FAR my most pressing passion project to date, spanning for almost an entire decade! After rekindling my motivation for Nintendo level creating after 2-3 years of inactivity in between, I set out to finish what I've started. I've been intensively working on completing this project ever since! Now, I am both proud & ecstatic to finally release this project to both the SMBX community & my online community!

I hope that you will all enjoy everything that this episode has to offer! I certainly enjoyed pouring my heart & soul into every last object placed. I wouldn't change this journey for the world, as it ignited a passion for creating & game design within me that I never would have obtained otherwise.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed, whether directly or indirectly, to this project's completion! If you have any questions, concerns, recommendations, encounter any bugs, or would like to be credited on your graphics/music, feel free to DM me at any time on Twitter @Unknown68D_ or Discord @Unknown68D#0308. All rights & appreciation for these works go out to their respective owners.

Enjoy embarking on your epic quest! Much love, Unknown68D ~ <3
Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
First Encounter with Bowser!
A Splashy Sunset Beach Theme!
Lemmy Koopa Airship Bossfight!
A Classic Snowy Night!
Massive Beach Slide!
Captain Boo in a Haunted Ship!
Purple Yoshi's Giant Jungle!
Exploring the Jungle's Spiral Tower!
A Snowy Ascent!
Mastering the Rainbow Shell!
Freezeflame Fury!
Ascending the Subconic Caves!
Buzzy Beetles in Mouser's Castle!
Mega Skewer's in Wart's Castle!
Red Yoshi's Explosive Rumble!
The Spooky Skull Coasters!
Flash Dry Fury in Dry Bowser's Castle!
When Gamestyles Collide in Bowser's Final Labyrinth!
The Final Fight!
8-Bit Extragavanza!
The Elusive Boo Mushroom!
Burning the House Down in PWND, HAMMER TIME!
Hijaking a Clown Car in the Invasion!
Escaping the Clutches of Dark Bowser!
Star Festival Celebration!
DOWNLOAD LINKS:

Latest SMBX2 Version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19G1bhy ... sp=sharing
SMBX 1.3 or later:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DZLeu ... dZvVikqmvs

HOW TO DOWNLOAD (For those outside the SMBX community): https://docs.google.com/document/d/11Me ... sp=sharing

Patch Logs:

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: In addition to future updates, I will also be frequently patching any small bugs and re-uploading the episode under the same link. If you encounter an issue with your current version, try checking the patch list below to see if any issue you've encountered has been corrected & re-downloading the episode to see if it becomes resolved.

SMBX2 Patch Logs:
~ Dragon Coins are now replaced with Star Coins, making it easier to keep track of progress!
~ No need to evade checkpoints to 100% the game!
~ Friendlier power-up system!
~ Coyote time!
~ Much-needed nerfs to levels & bossfights!
~ Added Visual Effects!
~ Toadette joins the adventure!
~ Removed Coin Arrows in place of SMW arrows when appropriate.
~ Shortened some text dialogue.
~ Various Bug Fixes.
~ Peach's Castle: Updated checkpoint NPCs. You can now begin right at the beginning of the rainbow shell ascension challenge via a checkpoint, rather than going through the entire walking & dialogue sequence again.
~ 2-Fortress: Star Coin Rupee falls to a much fairer platform & not to spikes.
~ 3-2: A red switch block that raises a platform can no longer be hit by a koopa shell & prevent the player from progressing.
~ 4-Ghost House: The Key & P-Switch for Star Coin 4 are now just placed in the level & are no longer contained in a ? block. This fixes an issue where either item could despawn.
~ 4-Tanks: CRITICAL fix that fixes the camera positioning at the Robirdo bossfight.
~ 5-3: Two-way warp added for the secret exit, BGO bush cutoffs are now fixed, & the cheep cheep block platforms can no longer be harmed by fire, ice, hammers, or Yoshi.
~ 5-Information House: Updated checkpoint NPC at the start of the rainbow shell challenge.
~ 5-Special: Coloured arrows are now placed in the first section. Lava is shown first, so follow the red arrows along the main path. Once you hit the detonator, blue arrows take their place. These blue arrows will help you collect Star Coins 2 & 3. The exit at the end is also hidden initially, requiring the player to hit the detonator switch at the end first before reaching the exit. Blue arrows also indicate the player should head back to collect the 5th Star Coin.
~ 7-Blue House Challenge: The challenge itself is now a separate level on the world map. The player no longer needs to enter the Blue House & go through the dialogue sequence each time, nor wait for the level to load each time via a door warp. This saves the player a lot of time waiting & re-entering.
~ 8-Tanks: Dialogue of each Koopa Bro is now separated into their own separate text boxes. The reader will now have an easier time distinguishing each Koopa Bro.
~ 9-8: Fixed a paragroomba's AI, Replaced the "In The Final" OST with a lyrics video! It's only fitting seeing as it's the final difficult level you complete in the entire episode! (Check it out HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipVrglfEXLA)
SMBX 1.3 Compatible Patch Logs:
~ 2-Fortress: The "Star" layer was accidentally shown, resulting in the player not needing to collect all the Dragon Coins. This layer is now hidden.
~ 2-4: Fixed Random Pipe Placement
~ 3-Castle: Fixed an incorrect BGO placement in the boss room.
~ 5-4: Fixed Incorrect Pipe Warp placement in the blue switch exit
~ 5-Special: Fixed checkpoint issue where the checkpoint was placed in a sizable, causing the player to respawn in an obscure location | Removed a misleading coin arrow.
~ 6-4: The path to one of the Dragon Coins is made much clearer.
~ 6-6: Slight nerfs. The water raft no longer pushes players and NPCs, thereby acting as a semi-solid.
~ 6-Airship: Heavy nerfs to the speed of cannonballs.
~ 7-1: There is a cloud platform instead of a brick platform for one of the Dragon-Coins that required a P-Switch to obtain.
~ 7-2: Failing the switch block minigame no longer kills the player. They now spawn at the pipe location to try again. The key will not respawn, however. The player must find another key or return to the original key's location.
~ 8-2: A red bumpable block was moved up to allow a giant spike ball to roll to the secret exit blockade.
~ 9-4: The "Star" layer was accidentally shown, resulting in the player not needing to collect all the Dragon Coins. This layer is now hidden.
~ Star Festival: Fixed a bug that would soft-lock the player if they were wearing a shoe in a cutscene. Lakitus spawning fire flowers & hammer suits were also added for the player's convenience.
~ Final Cutscene: Fixed a bug that would soft-lock the player if they were wearing a shoe in a cutscene.
Last edited by Unknown68D on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:21 am, edited 31 times in total.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Re: The Epic Quest by Unknown68D ~ My First SMBX Episode!

Postby Cedur » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:16 pm

well ... why did you post this when I didn't even finish testing? There might be more changes to the 1.3 version as well! (like, improving the world map, I wanted to get back on you later for that)
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Unknown68D
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby Unknown68D » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:24 pm

Cedur wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:16 pm
well ... why did you post this when I didn't even finish testing? There might be more changes to the 1.3 version as well! (like, improving the world map, I wanted to get back on you later for that)
Don't worry! You can continue playtesting! It's just that I did an extensive playtest of the game 100% & am ready to release the first version. Besides, I likely made many changes in the past few days that you would have covered anyways regarding difficulty, clutter, bugs, etc. Plus, you'll have an even easier time playtesting in this version! All changes going forward will simply be present in future updates.

Also, due to circumstances with the global COVID-19 pandemic & my education, my high school is setting up online classes that will begin next week, so I wanted to push this out while I still could & not unnecessarily delay this any further. This should hopefully give you & others an ample amount of time to continue playtesting. I hope you understand! :)

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:21 am

well, I think I'll download this and just move my save file and continue with 4-4.

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:00 am

I'm done with playtesting the first round. Let me know when you implemented all changes!

There's going to be an SMBX2-exclusive version, implementing the following things:
-> checkpoints will save dragon coin process (we'll probably reskin them to star coins)
-> SMM arrows will replace coin arrows many times
-> other X2-exclusive NPCs (like chucks, phantos, snake blocks, whigglers)
-> a secret surprise

We have to dug a bit into lua coding implementing the coin saving or get some assistance for that.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Postby Eclipsed » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:52 pm

I'd definitely recommend people to try to play an any% playthrough of this episode. It's honestly pretty fun to play and is really good for a first episode.

dericobanjo
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: Try out Super Sackboy 64 in LBP3!
Chat Username: dericobanjo

Postby dericobanjo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:52 pm
I'd definitely recommend people to try to play an any% playthrough of this episode. It's honestly pretty fun to play and is really good for a first episode.
I think I'll wait for the 2.0 version.

WAR CHAMP
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby WAR CHAMP » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:11 am

I liked your episode because it have great graphics, great level design, good music, and etc! I might support your project and you might become my best friend ever!

Is there's a way to support this project like banners on signatures, or etc?
I support:

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:47 am

WAR CHAMP wrote:Is there's a way to support this project like banners on signatures, or etc?

this episode has a banner/logo, so you could put that in your sig

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:53 pm

I am helping Unknown make a massive overhaul to this episode to fix a lot of the issues with it. After that this will be great.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:36 am

Eclipsed wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:53 pm
I am helping Unknown make a massive overhaul to this episode to fix a lot of the issues with it. After that this will be great.

lol I was first wanting to ask permission from Unknown to fix the levels myself bc I thought he'd stay in a hiatus, but if you two get on with this now, great

Nooga Productions
Banned

Postby Nooga Productions » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:44 am

Cedur wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:36 am
Eclipsed wrote:

lol I was first wanting to ask permission from Unknown to fix the levels myself bc I thought he'd stay in a hiatus, but if you two get on with this now, great
I would like to also help Unknown to playtesting this episode and I would wait to get his permission, but I'm too busy to wait to finish my homework so I'll wait that I have a chance to help this guy sooner or later. :D

Also, I liked The Epic Quest and I would support Unknown68D's SMBX project, and I and Unknown are now the best friends! :lol:
I'm the supporter of

I'm currently inactive right now. Please don't reply to me nor PM me. If you want to contact me, email me via [email protected] instead. Thanks. :(

Damn you Bullet51

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:49 am

Cedur wrote:I and Unknown are now the best friends!

you obviously claim this out of the blue. Feel free to check out the episode in its current state though. It will keep you occupied for like two weeks.

Unknown68D
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby Unknown68D » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:03 am

Cedur wrote:
Eclipsed wrote:

I hope to begin working on the overhaul in the near future this summer. Right now I have a few other projects that I'd like to finish up before I return to SMBX level editing. I will likely need some assistance with implementing LunaLua scripts & the Star Coin/Checkpoint system. Then, I'll need to go through each level to see what needs to be changed, as mentioned by Eclipse. THIS will be the 2.0 release instead. I've decided to scrap adding an expansion to the main episode in favour of a quality-of-life update. I'll keep you two posted soon. I'd love to make a group DM with you guys at some point.

Unknown68D
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby Unknown68D » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:17 pm

Nooga Productions wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:44 am
Cedur wrote:
Eclipsed wrote:

I would like to also help Unknown to playtesting this episode and I would wait to get his permission, but I'm too busy to wait to finish my homework so I'll wait that I have a chance to help this guy sooner or later. :D

Also, I liked The Epic Quest and I would support Unknown68D's SMBX project, and I and Unknown are now the best friends! :lol:
I would REALLY appreciate you helping me out! Feel free to reach out to me on Twitter @Unknown68D_ or on Disocrd @Unknown68D#0308! Thanks! :)

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:50 am

Unknown68D wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:17 pm
Nooga Productions wrote:
Cedur wrote:

I would REALLY appreciate you helping me out! Feel free to reach out to me on Twitter @Unknown68D_ or on Disocrd @Unknown68D#0308! Thanks! :)

lol notice how this guy is banned for being an alt of a previously banned user.

KlickyMario321+
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Flair: Everyone's Favorite Playmobil Fan
Current Project: Sonic: The Complete Adventure
Chat Username: Klicky321

Postby KlickyMario321+ » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:50 am
Unknown68D wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:17 pm
Nooga Productions wrote:

lol notice how this guy is banned for being an alt of a previously banned user.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he committed sockpuppeting just to get out of his ban on his original account as sockpuppeting means creating a new account, just to escape your ban or for a fresh start, which is against the rules of the Forums. That should teach him a lesson NEVER to sockpuppet.
:idea: KlickyMario321+ :idea:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: One day, we can make the video game world a better place! If you want to make it a better place too, place this in your signature.

I support:

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:09 am

No point to state the obvious on something that's already beyond a week in the past. He also made two further accounts after this. Let's get back on topic and wait for the SMBX2 version to become public

Super Wario Bros
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Flair: Wario Land 2 > Mario Land 2
Current Project: Wario Land X (SMBX2)
Chat Username: SWB

Postby Super Wario Bros » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:12 pm

Wow this looks great! A hype way to make your first episode. I made a small but worthy first episode, but I’m working on a new one that will be this kind of quality.

My first and only episode, as of now. Play it here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26057

I proudly support:

dericobanjo
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: Try out Super Sackboy 64 in LBP3!
Chat Username: dericobanjo

Re: VERSION 2.0 OUT NOW! | The Epic Quest by Unknown68D ~ My First SMBX Episode!

Postby dericobanjo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:00 pm

Version 2.0 is out? Download time :)

(Btw the screen shot and how big is the episode and everything make me think it not your first episode, lol)

Return to “Episodes”