Super Mario World - Mother Brain Calamity by Idunn

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Idunn
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Robotic
Current Project: Super Mario Forces Timeline
Chat Username: Name you never find

Super Mario World - Mother Brain Calamity by Idunn

Postby Idunn » Mon May 18, 2020 7:22 am

Logos:

Spoiler: show

Credit to h2643

Credit to https://www.deviantart.com/tbsf-yt

Hello there, this is a Project which only had ever a minisode released of itself.
This Project was never really abandoned or cancelled, but after the Project Forum was archived and a couple days later I lost interest in Smbx and had been absent for some time.

Thanks to h2643 for the Banner Logo he made for me back then, and also thanks for the TSRP Backgrounds you made!

Story:

Super Mario Forces is an action-adventure platform game similar in gameplay and style to prior Super Mario games. The player's goal is to defeat the bad guys and their army.

"Everything was well and fine in the Mushroom Kingdom, after Mario and Luigi once again saved the Kingdom by defeating King Koopa Bowser peace was for a long time. One day when Mario and his Brother were going to visit the Princess, something bad happened. Once again the Koopa Army arrived at Princess Toadstool's Castle and invaded the homes of the fungus. Obviously once again it was Bowser with another dreadful plan to--- not kidnap the Princess?? By his side was Wart the Frog and several other henches of them both. The Koopa Kingdom and Subcon Villains have formed a bigger Force to take down the Mario Brothers. This can't be a simple Plan from Bowser, Mario knows Bowser is dumb and not smart but then Bowser pulled out a AK47 and laughed because Luigi didn't and how did he achieve getting Wart to join him? They just dropped down A Letter which basically told the Brothers to come follow them into the deep deep unknown lands of the Kingdom. Will the Brothers be brave enough to face this Challenge?"

"Meanwhile, nobody is realizing the Eye watching them from afar."

Screenshots:

Videos:

The Baddies:

Last edited by Idunn on Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 31 times in total.

Teemster2
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: Super Mario World - Mother Brain Calamity Part 1

Postby Teemster2 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:19 pm

Burnouts really suck. I hope you stick it through because this looks interesting. Good to see you are back.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Idunn
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Idunn » Sat May 23, 2020 9:35 am

Teemster2 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:19 pm
Burnouts really suck. I hope you stick it through because this looks interesting. Good to see you are back.

I hope so as well, it’s gonna be a lot of work to do and I mostly can only work on this during weekends or free days.
So progress will be Slow on this due this.

Glad to see it being appreciated, probably just have to fix up the other levels if certain patches change something.
Become a Novastar

Things i support!
ImageImage

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat May 23, 2020 10:14 am

When in doubt of how much you can accomplish before facing burnout, one thing to try could be to do all the levels necessary for the episode's completion first (first level, last level, any critical points in between), and then fill the gaps with levels you wanna make in the moment, until you feel like you got the episode to a good size. I find it creates a comforting feeling since once the essential levels are taken care of, the only thing keeping the episode from being done is your desire to include more of your ideas in form of more levels.
GL HF.
The ABC of Creation

Idunn
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Idunn » Sat May 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:14 am
When in doubt of how much you can accomplish before facing burnout, one thing to try could be to do all the levels necessary for the episode's completion first (first level, last level, any critical points in between), and then fill the gaps with levels you wanna make in the moment, until you feel like you got the episode to a good size. I find it creates a comforting feeling since once the essential levels are taken care of, the only thing keeping the episode from being done is your desire to include more of your ideas in form of more levels.
GL HF.
Thank you very much for these words, I will definitely keep this in mind while working on it!
It does sound like a good plan.
Become a Novastar

Things i support!
ImageImage

Idunn
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Idunn » Sun May 24, 2020 11:57 am

Alright, i once again updated the Main Post!

I added the potential Story to this, as well two of the Baddies that will be making their Debut in this.
I also added two new Screenshots into the Screen Spoiler and got 1 more Level right now.

So far there are 3 Complete Levels, also please notice that the screens are taken during it's early phase meaning that some of them might be removed later on if the specific level will be remade from scratch or scrapped entirely!
This Project will also feature only 1 Player and the playable Character will be Luigi cause he seriously needs some Love besides his Brother.

Also i added a progress bar for anyone who is interested into seeing how much is done by now.

I'm also wondering if I should go along with the actual SMW Graphics or use the Redrawn Pack!
An example of how the Redrawn would currently look with it now, can be seen in the added Videos one shows the Original Version and the other the one using the Redrawn Gfx! Please note that i did not find any Redrawn one of the Wiggler which is why this is one in particular is not Redrawn as of now!

I've also been thinking of perhaps creating a Team to work on this, because of that i have two things here:

1. If you would be interested in working on this Project, you can either hit me up with a PM or just write your application in this Thread.
Please be sure that the Levels will need to use the SMW Graphics that we have so far, you are free to use SMW Custom Tilesets or Restyled/Recolored ones!

2. I saw that some Project's have the thing of having a Discord Server which is specific for the Project. Would this benefit anyone actually, so that Ideas and etc could be shared there as well besides on here?

Also thanks to everyone who checked this Thread out!

OH and also if you wanna support this Project, here is the Image attached with the url leading to this Thread!

Become a Novastar

Things i support!
ImageImage

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Mon May 25, 2020 9:48 am

I'm a bit hesitant to call the sole focus on Luigi a good idea, considering he controls a bit like a bar of soap on a carousel. I agree he needs more love, but perhaps for a better gameplay feeling it might be good to just overlay a luigi costume over the mario or toad playable.
The ABC of Creation

Idunn
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Idunn » Mon May 25, 2020 10:12 am

Enjl wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:48 am
I'm a bit hesitant to call the sole focus on Luigi a good idea, considering he controls a bit like a bar of soap on a carousel. I agree he needs more love, but perhaps for a better gameplay feeling it might be good to just overlay a luigi costume over the mario or toad playable.
Which way would be the best to do so? Is it possible to just rename them to another character?
If there’s a tutorial I gladly follow it.

Yeah Mario would fit a lot better, never really liked the coin thing with Luigi for example.
Become a Novastar

Things i support!
ImageImage

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Mon May 25, 2020 11:50 am

Idunn wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:12 am
Enjl wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:48 am
Which way would be the best to do so? Is it possible to just rename them to another character?
If there’s a tutorial I gladly follow it.

Yeah Mario would fit a lot better, never really liked the coin thing with Luigi for example.
Are you using MrDoubleA's luigi costume locally loaded? I think you should just be able to load it for CHARACTER_MARIO instead of CHARACTER_LUIGI in that case. The readme in the costume's download has a piece of code that you can use for that.
The ABC of Creation

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Tue May 26, 2020 5:59 am

Idunn wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:57 am

I'm also wondering if I should go along with the actual SMW Graphics or use the Redrawn Pack!
An example of how the Redrawn would currently look with it now, can be seen in the added Videos one shows the Original Version and the other the one using the Redrawn Gfx! Please note that i did not find any Redrawn one of the Wiggler which is why this is one in particular is not Redrawn as of now!

I've also been thinking of perhaps creating a Team to work on this, because of that i have two things here:

1. If you would be interested in working on this Project, you can either hit me up with a PM or just write your application in this Thread.
Please be sure that the Levels will need to use the SMW Graphics that we have so far, you are free to use SMW Custom Tilesets or Restyled/Recolored ones!

2. I saw that some Project's have the thing of having a Discord Server which is specific for the Project. Would this benefit anyone actually, so that Ideas and etc could be shared there as well besides on here?
I think using the SMW redrawn graphics pack looks better here.

Also a discord server isn't mandatory but it can help with discussing development with a team / fans. You could start by checking out the SMBX Projects Server and perhaps getting a channel on that: https://discord.gg/nNTKaF

I might also be interested in helping out, looks like a pretty interesting project. :)
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
ImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue May 26, 2020 6:15 am

On the topic of original vs redrawn, I personally find the redrawn pack to look incredibly noisy and unappealing. The originals are definitely softer on the eyes.
The ABC of Creation

Idunn
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Idunn » Tue May 26, 2020 8:22 am

Enjl wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:50 am
Are you using MrDoubleA's luigi costume locally loaded? I think you should just be able to load it for CHARACTER_MARIO instead of CHARACTER_LUIGI in that case. The readme in the costume's download has a piece of code that you can use for that.
Yes i have the whole costume folder of luigi put in there actually.

So basically, this is the Code i need to put into my all levels luna.lua
local costume = require("costume")
function onStart()
if player.character == CHARACTER_MARIO then
costume.onInit(player)
end
end
Do i need to change something in there actually to get the luigi costume onto mario?

Excuse me if I ask a lot of questions about it, just don't wanna bork something up.

Taycamgame wrote: I think using the SMW redrawn graphics pack looks better here.

Also a discord server isn't mandatory but it can help with discussing development with a team / fans. You could start by checking out the SMBX Projects Server and perhaps getting a channel on that: https://discord.gg/nNTKaF

I might also be interested in helping out, looks like a pretty interesting project. :)
I think that i already have been joining that particular Server.
Maybe i set up a Channel for this, so people don't always have to find this thread in the Abyss later on.

About the redrawn vs original thing, the votes are always tied for some reason so i think the best thing would be releasing an alternate version with the redrawn gfx so people can choose to download the Original or the Redrawn one.

Sure, if you honestly want to help out with this just tell me what and hit me up, thanks for the comment btw!
Become a Novastar

Things i support!
ImageImage

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue May 26, 2020 8:27 am

Idunn wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:22 am
Do i need to change something in there actually to get the luigi costume onto mario?
You might need to rename all the images and inis from luigi- to mario-. It could also be that the costume.lua refers to player.character == 2 or player.character == CHARACTER_LUIGI directly. If so, make sure to replace those with CHARACTER_MARIO, too.
The ABC of Creation

Idunn
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Idunn » Tue May 26, 2020 8:39 am

Enjl wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:27 am
You might need to rename all the images and inis from luigi- to mario-. It could also be that the costume.lua refers to player.character == 2 or player.character == CHARACTER_LUIGI directly. If so, make sure to replace those with CHARACTER_MARIO, too.
Replacing the inis and luigi pngs actually was enough, i only had the pngs replaced and the costume was clipping through the ground.
After i did the inis like you suggested it started working normally!

Thank you for the help Enjl, now people can play as Luigi without the soap controls which should provide a nice and better gameplay!
Become a Novastar

Things i support!
ImageImage

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Tue May 26, 2020 9:19 am

Enjl wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:15 am
On the topic of original vs redrawn, I personally find the redrawn pack to look incredibly noisy and unappealing. The originals are definitely softer on the eyes.
Fair... but i guess it's personal opinion :)
Idunn wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:22 am

About the redrawn vs original thing, the votes are always tied for some reason so i think the best thing would be releasing an alternate version with the redrawn gfx so people can choose to download the Original or the Redrawn one.

Sure, if you honestly want to help out with this just tell me what and hit me up, thanks for the comment btw!
It might actually be a good idea to include a visual setting option that allows players to choose which style (normal or redrawn) they will see in each level. This doesn't require you to make two completely different versions of the episode either - just use lua to load the respective graphics for each setting (i.e. if the player wants to use redrawn graphics, use lua to load the redrawn graphics etc.)

Also, sure! I could help out (primarily as level designer). Do you have a list of levels that I could select from?
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
ImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Idunn
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Idunn » Wed May 27, 2020 3:29 am

About that, so far I neither have a list of levels or even worlds.

I'm still planning how many worlds there will be, but maybe I will go with the standard 8 Worlds formula depending on how long I be working on this.

So, you are pretty much free to create something just make sure to not use anything that ain’t smw recolored or restyled.

If I get the time, I will update the op with possible world names.
Become a Novastar

Things i support!
ImageImage

Teemster2
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Teemster2 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:49 am

Idunn wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:29 am
About that, so far I neither have a list of levels or even worlds.

I'm still planning how many worlds there will be, but maybe I will go with the standard 8 Worlds formula depending on how long I be working on this.

So, you are pretty much free to create something just make sure to not use anything that ain’t smw recolored or restyled.

If I get the time, I will update the op with possible world names.
I find Google earth helps a lot for coming up with ideas for levels and worlds. Being 35 I have been to most of the state's in the US and with that much traveling I have been inspired by a lot of the places I have seen or been to thus I thought up the idea to use google earth. You would be surprised at the ideas you can come up with just scrolling through the map from state to state.

I guess everyone has thier own way of doing projects but a lot of people use the smb3 or smw themes a lot as if they don't have the imagination or ideas to think outside the box. I was just giving you some ideas that may help you.

Also a Google spreadsheet helps a lot for planning. I think it was enjl that told me that and then I found it to be super useful after trying it.

My project which will take years if I finish it already has the world's and levels pretty much planned out. That was a lot of fun for me planning out 20+ worlds. Some people don't recommend completely planning out the project first so do whatever you enjoy the most or whatever works for you.

I hope that helps you out some.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Idunn
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Idunn » Thu May 28, 2020 12:05 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:49 am
Good Stuff!
I will think about this, whenever i work on this now it does help a lot to receive such feedback actually.

There is just another thing that also came to me in question, i know from SMW itself that i doesn't really use much of BGO in certain levels like Cave ones.
I do wanna keep this Project as simple as i can, without relying a lot on Custom Graphics or GFX in general.

But at the same time, i have this thought that if i won't be using BGO's in cave levels the community will scold me for not using them.

So what are the opinions on this?
Yes BGO's in level themes which the original didn't or No BGO's in these kind of level themes?
Become a Novastar

Things i support!
ImageImage

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Thu May 28, 2020 2:03 pm

Design for yourself, not for some phantom personality in the community.
The ABC of Creation

Teemster2
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Teemster2 » Thu May 28, 2020 2:32 pm

Enjl wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:03 pm
Design for yourself, not for some phantom personality in the community.
I agree. Do what makes you happy. This is your baby project.

Return to “Projects”