SMBX Level Designer Tier List By Request - SLAM disclaimer added

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... hp?t=16308

Re: SMBX Level Designer Tier List By Request

Postby Radiance » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:22 am

Rate me as well

Added in 5 minutes 40 seconds:
I'm pretty sure I'm on B+ as Sunny Valley is decent, Piranha Mountain is kinda decent, and my AVLC entry is pretty decent but short.

Added in 49 seconds:
Oh, there's no B+

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: local guy
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:12 pm

can you put me in F tier
im bored

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:17 pm

RudeGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:12 pm
can you put me in F tier
Why? Have your level crafting skills downgraded as the years go by?

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:27 pm

Go on, do it.
I haven't posted many individual levels... if at all actually, but there are a few things you can judge me by; MKA's demos etc.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Postby Eclipsed » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Radiance wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:28 am
Rate me as well

I'm pretty sure I'm on B+ as Sunny Valley is decent, Piranha Mountain is kinda decent, and my AVLC entry is pretty decent but short.

Added in 49 seconds:
Oh, there's no B+
We've decided that any B+ would be put in the same tier as A- due to not wanting to distinguish too much between tiers. So a high A- to low B+ corresponds to a high to low A- for this, so since you accurately placed yourself, I won't delve too much into the details. But you are A-.

Added in 4 minutes 12 seconds:
RudeGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:12 pm
can you put me in F tier
No, your levels are not F tier quality. Your levels usually have a sense of a theme or gimmick attached to them that is memorable and your levels feel thematically coherent. However, your levels have consistently have had the issue of being too long and does not give enough power ups to justify the difficulty. These issues aren't to a massive extent that it's frustrating, but it's just the extent that it's noticeable. That being said, your tier is a B-.

Added in 43 seconds:
Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:08 am
You will be re-ranked after I play your level from March

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: local guy
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:58 pm

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:17 pm
Why? Have your level crafting skills downgraded as the years go by?
they can't downgrade, they've been always bad
Eclipsed wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:18 pm
No, your levels are not F tier quality. Your levels usually have a sense of a theme or gimmick attached to them that is memorable and your levels feel thematically coherent. However, your levels have consistently have had the issue of being too long and does not give enough power ups to justify the difficulty. These issues aren't to a massive extent that it's frustrating, but it's just the extent that it's noticeable. That being said, your tier is a B-.
In all seriousness, lenght and difficulty are issues I've been picking up for a while and still do somewhat have. I often have to be careful to avoid these issues when designing levels and sometimes they still slip up.
All that said, lately (ok, well, it's a few years already) I've been involved in SMW hacking and I've been making levels which are much better, in my opinion, than most of the work I've done in SMBX. If you wanna see some better levels from me, I'd recommend checking those (especially those in the VLDCs).
im bored

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Level Designer Tier List By Request - SLAM disclaimer added

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:07 am

Shinbison requested me to do so in dms
Note: This will not be including Restoration since he has more recent content that can be reviewed

Shinbison has always had a certain knack for emulating the prevalent design style of the time. You can certainly see a paradigm shift in the structure and layouts for his levels. Right now shin does fine with his levels introducing an initial gimmick and expanding different setups and creative uses of it. I would give Shinbison an A- right now for his levels. This next part is based on personal feeling, one thing that I feel that Shinbison can work on is that it doesn't feel as his levels feel like they have his own style. It's hard to put in words, but when I'm playing a level by 7NameSam, it feels like a 7NameSam, when I play a level by Radiance it feels like its made by Radiance. It just feels like I'm playing a decent level from Shinbison and not sure why I feel as if this is the case (non-aesthetic wise). Overall A- tier

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... hp?t=16308

Postby Radiance » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:06 am

Eclipsed wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:18 pm
Radiance wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:28 am
Rate me as well

Added in 49 seconds:
Oh, there's no B+
We've decided that any B+ would be put in the same tier as A- due to not wanting to distinguish too much between tiers. So a high A- to low B+ corresponds to a high to low A- for this, so since you accurately placed yourself, I won't delve too much into the details. But you are A-.
I would still love to hear your opinion about my design.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Re-Rank will involve the two levels FrozenTrepid and Industrial Consumption, and it averages out to C tier.

FrozenTrepid (B-) is a level that has a neat gimmick. However, it has two major flaws as it overstays its welcome and that there are messy places that feel way too cramped. I like the creativity of the level, but this level could have been condensed a lot longer.

Industrial Consumption (C-) Honestly, this level would have ended in D tier if it didn't have creative aspects to salvage it to C-. I legit quit playing this level due to becoming really irritated with it. I really love the gimmick but outside factors really affected my mood playing this level. The level length-wise does not feel like it would overstay its welcome so that is fine. The main issue is the graphics in this level, in both sections there's so many effects that it is hard to see what exactly is going on or to keep your eyes on. There's two effects, background, foreground and enemies to look at and it's way too busy. The reason frozentrepid is better was because it didn't seem to have this issue. The sledge bros inside of blocks took a while before I realized they were there. In addition, there's different shadings of the wooden planks which I had to guess until I learn what they'd do and if did incorrectly, I would just die from misinterpreting. Moreover, in the darkness section, I could physically not see a lot. For example, there's leaves that break after you step on them and I did not know about them until that. Meaning I fell down and got softlocked from breaking a bunch of wooden planks. Moreover, the darkness effect in the 2nd section is physically impossible from some pcs to see through, so it was way too frustrating to deal with. In the next section, I think there's some issues with clear pipes but I placed a saw to the right of them and they teleported away for a bizarre reason, so this level does not function properly (Im not holding that against the rating). Im just saying after that I was too irritated to continue playing the level. The level in the current state is the definition of wasted potential.

Project Issues:
The sound-effects are way too loud compared to the music, so that needs to be toned down. Moreover, the turn-around sound is actually abysmal; it's the effect where you scratch a chalkboard and it's loud so it actually hurt my ears to play this level.

Aside from that, some of the default settings actually mess up gameplay in pretty bad ways. The ground pound here, is accomplished by holding down in the air. This in effect means that you freeze where you are. However during smbx sometimes you naturally want to press down while moving airborne, so this interfered with base gameplay to the point that it actually did not work out. Please have this mapped to different keys or fix how the ground pound works. The wall jump here is fine except for the part that you start in a wall jump state when you're not pushing against the wall, causing easy and unfair deaths to the player.

Added in 3 hours 47 minutes 4 seconds:
Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Industrial Consumption (B-). I finished recording the footage for level of the month for your level. I really enjoyed the level creative wise, however the execution was a bit iffy. There seems to be a pattern with your levels that make them sometimes not fun to play. The first of which is that you use way too many graphics in a small space, this makes me have to try to look through effects, foreground, background, blocks, and consistently identify where is the next place. It's not all that clear in your levels and it led to my deaths a few times. Another issue you seem to have is that you want to cram a lot in a small area that's related to the level. This could be done well, but often it is done so in moderation and levels give people breathing room. Your levels has a ton stuffed into a screen, that it always feels cramped and has no breathing room. It sometimes just feels exhausting to play. In essence, you have a lot of creativity, but these two issues are really holding back how fun your levels are not. As an aside, the some star coin placements in this level were not that great. The first one there was no tell that you had to randomly trigger an invisible trigger. For the second one, I thought I had to bullet bill jump since the other option was risk jumping to your death. Overall, I think you've inched your way into the lower part of B-. Keep on making levels.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:44 am

Radiance wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:06 am

I would still love to hear your opinion about my design.
My opinion is that your AVLC level is decent but could have been longer. The main levels I've seen from you is your revamp of TGCA and the levels have been fun and you've been doing a good job of updating them to casual fun romps. The main thing is that I haven't seen more of your fully original individual levels to be able to give a fully accurate judgement of your design. You're good at what you're doing right now but other than that, there's a lack of info besides that so I can't justify putting you any higher.

Added in 12 minutes 45 seconds:
Inferno_Guy asked me to do this in VC at some point
Note: Wrath of Dimentio will not be included since that's a mix of both Inferno_Guy's and Eri7's design so this will be more focused on Individual Levels

I would put Inferno_Guy in low C tier. The reasoning for this is that in his levels he has a neat idea, but never really expands upon them. When he does it feels like it's barely expanded upon. Moreover, in his levels when he utilizes a gimmick he focuses on only using a few npcs and doesn't find ways to interweave the other npcs in the game and kind of discards them. Most people when designing a level around a gimmick only has one of these two issues but combined together, they make his levels feel kind of tedious and repetitive at points. Due to this, his shorter levels are usually better than his longer ones since they don't drag out super long, however it feels like so much more could be done. In essence, it just feels like there's a lot more potential from the ideas he's putting forth but they're never really brought to fruition.

Looking at levels higher up of varying quality such as Cheddar Citadel, Shrine of Machinery, and Toxic Lab, you can see these levels constant introduce a base gimmick, add different platforming layouts and constantly expand upon the base gimmick in the case of the former 2 and still include newer platform layouts consistently.

LGLMAKING
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: There's always another secret.
Current Project: Captain Toad: Shine Scramble

Postby LGLMAKING » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:35 am

I could be rated, but I don't think I have any levels yet... only those for my project. I do have a flair for boss fights
"I am incredibly lucky I know you and im glad I gave you a chance to be a part of this" -Eri7
"I'm going to call these Janksqueaks from now on." -Clearman06
New producer of the Novaverse, after Eri7's departure from the community.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:02 am

Knowing Eclipsed' relation to 38A, will he even consider 38A levels?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:45 pm

Cedur wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:02 am
Knowing Eclipsed' relation to 38A, will he even consider 38A levels?
I don't see why not. I've played most 38A episodes so I have a good sense of what people ask from those levels, how their design is.

computerfan0
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: Edosipe?
Current Project: Firing in spurts.
Chat Username: computerfan0

Postby computerfan0 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:52 pm

Could I get a spot on your tier list? I know I've only ever made two levels (and a god-awful joke episode) but it would be "nice" to see my ranking.
(GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
computerfan0's Backloggery
computerfan0 on Reddit
computerfan0 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 21125827641 8:11 pm
quoting myself, why

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:06 pm

computerfan0 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:52 pm
Could I get a spot on your tier list? I know I've only ever made two levels (and a god-awful joke episode) but it would be "nice" to see my ranking.
What levels have you made again. I need a refresher

computerfan0
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: Edosipe?
Current Project: Firing in spurts.
Chat Username: computerfan0

Postby computerfan0 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:11 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:06 pm
computerfan0 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:52 pm
What levels have you made again. I need a refresher
"Fight against Goomba", "Paratroopa Madness" and the joke episode is "Super Fortnite Bros"
(GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
computerfan0's Backloggery
computerfan0 on Reddit
computerfan0 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 21125827641 8:11 pm
quoting myself, why

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:07 pm

computerfan0 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:11 pm
"Fight against Goomba", "Paratroopa Madness" and the joke episode is "Super Fortnite Bros"
I'd so D-tier. Your levels just kind of exist in the grand scheme of things. I really can't add on much more than that.

Also Shinbison is moved up to A tier.

FlatKiwi
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: brbrbrap
Chat Username: kiwi

Postby FlatKiwi » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:01 pm

sure
never again will i repeat myself
enough is never enough
never again will i repeat myself