SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [MAGLX Judge Favorite]

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 am

Enjl wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:40 am
Enjl wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:03 pm
Ahh, it's like that project TNTtimelord once attempted
I retract this statement after seeing how much mediocre to outright bad stuff is being included for the sake of what appears to be favouritism.
First off, this is purely a first draft of a list since as I said people were free to list suggestions on what to remove or add. It's a first draft because there's no way a finalized version of this list exists after one try. As such, I included more levels than necessary for the first draft because the goal is to trim them down later. Don't just say that you don't like the list, please add suggestions on what to add or remove since although two other people (ShadowStar and 7NameSam) people are helping me work on this list, it's highly open to feedback.

The only way to avoid having stuff that you consider mediocre/bad is to actually not have any levels from some of the early contests. For example both of Zephyr's and Kyo's levels don't hold up today but they are objectively the best levels in Tower of Biased 1. This is the same case but with those being the only two distinct levels in Tower of Biased 3. In Tower of Biased 4, all of the levels were 6-8 minute switch hunts so Coralshift Cove was the only level that was both less than 4 minutes long and felt like someone put more than 30 seconds of effort into it so it was objectively distinct in that specific contest. What you're asking is essentially to remove the quota limit and not make the amount of levels at least somewhat proportionate to contest entrants and that means some early contests won't have any levels. If you feel like this is better. (I felt like going via a contest representation route, but if I see not doing so is better, I'll gladly change it) Since in this case for example, Tower of Biased 1-5 would be trimmed down to likely one level. Tower of Biased 6 would be trimmed down to 3. Tower of Biased 7 would only keep an automatic level for feeling distinct. Tower of Biased 8 would have no levels. And both Tower of Biased 9 and 10 would likely have one level each. Again, I'm open to suggestions since this list is in no way finalized.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:06 pm

The mediocre/bad ones I mostly meant were some more recent picks... but yes if a level doesn't hold up as being great then it probably shouldn't be part of what aims to be a compilation of 'greatest hits', imo.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:12 pm

Enjl wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:06 pm
The mediocre/bad ones I mostly meant were some more recent picks... but yes if a level doesn't hold up as being great then it probably shouldn't be part of what aims to be a compilation of 'greatest hits', imo.
As in recent posts or do you mean recent contests? And that is fair enough, I felt like we went overboard with contest representation.

Added in 19 minutes 13 seconds:
Revising my list, since I decided to value level representation over levels. As such here is the resulting levels removed

Tower of Biased 1
Acropolis Ascension and Wagma Rush will be removed it's the best levels of tob1 but doesn't much up to today's standards
Tower of Biased 2
Same case with Spatial Distortion, it's a fine level in it's own right but doesn't hold up today. Dunes from the past will remain as a joke level.
Tower of Biased 3: See TOB1
Tower of Biased 4 See TOB1
Tower of Biased 5: I would like to keep Koopa Kid Fleet and modify it to work with spawnzones.lua, checkpoints, and hitboxes. This level is the most memorable regular level in the first TOB era.
Tower of Biased 6: Block Bollocks stays as a optional joke level. Balloon Blast and Clockwork Ruins both have to stay in my opinion. Chad's level is up for debate if it can be removed. It's either keeping this level or Celestial Starstorm. Ace's level definitely stays on this list
Tower of Biased 7: Automatic is an automatic stay (pls dont kill me). Wild Western Walk will be removed on this list for see TOB1
Tower of Biased 8: Moonwalk Cola while funny isn't necessary to have on this list. Uprising Heights first half drags the level down too much to remain on here. Pirate Paradise is probably also not going to be on the final list. If I wanted to pick something out from Chad its either his tob6 or tob8 level with more checkpoints.
Tower of Biased 9: Murky Ruins isnt as potent as Darkonius' other two levels on this list in my opinion. Epicmode Interstellar Adventure can stay but its up for debate and needs more checkpoints. Gravitational Heaviness is a must on this list.
Tower of Biased X: A Very Short Puzzle level isn't as potent as the other joke levels so it'll be removed. Catch That Star I'd say is probably up for debate for staying/going, it's good for a joke level but the difficulty might be an issue. Another Typical Lava Level and Volcanic Wilds are fine levels but aren't either of these authors best works. Robotics;Toybox is probably the only zlaker level I liked in the entire Community Contest series, it's pretty unique so I'd say it stays for a second draft. Robtoics;hotel works well as a ghost house level but as a regular level it might be a bit iffy so I'd say this one is up for discussion to stay or not.

Added in 6 minutes 19 seconds:
Here's Kaizo Levels removed.

I'll remove Rave by Sedron. It's a fine level in it's own right but the difficulty curve is all over the place and I don't think it'd fit the best kaizo levels today.
I'll also remove fast food flight by cheez8. The other 4 in KCX3 should absolutely stay but I think that one is expendable

Added in 5 minutes 2 seconds:
For the side contests, here's what I think
Vinesauce 2014 contest should have no levels from them.
Vinesauce 2015 contest should only have concert canyon as the sole representation

For LCJ, the ones that are questionable in keeping in my opinion are the following:
Veggie Pile for risking game crashes unless that's fixed
Toad Run for just being a tech showcase, but it can go either way
Sidekick Struggles for using a glitch that may be patched out in the future
Negative Space, although it does a good job representing the game, as a normal level it's not the best and Pause does the flash game conversion a lot better
Bullet Bonaza by Darkonius Makavar, I honestly forgot this level existed so I may need to replay it but I don't remember it as much as Clockwork Ruins and Concert Canyon. Moreover, the rest of the levels on the LCJ list are more memorable/have higher quality.

Also Make A Sky Level X will have no levels

Added in 40 minutes 22 seconds:
Upon re-looking at the two levels. Celestial Starstorm will be removed. Magical Malice Castle is probably the strongest of Chad's level, is memorable and focuses on a central gimmick.

Added in 57 minutes 35 seconds:
Going through footage and past levels. I went through levels and for

The Thwomp King's 2015-2016 Contest Series, none of the levels will be included
Also Looking at epicmode interstellar adventure, I don't think it would fit for a contest. It seems much more like a level that's suited to end up an episode which is what it ended up doing.

Added in 1 minute 39 seconds:
I will also be removing Negative Space by Lunatic Quark since I feel like that if you haven't played the original flash game, this level would probably be unfun for those who haven't. It seems like this level requires outside context to be appreciated and doesn't really stand on its own with the translation.

The Thwomp King
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Super Mario Country

Postby The Thwomp King » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Oh shoot were all the 2015-2016 ones that bad? :shock:

Check out my current project, Super Mario Country:

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:24 pm

The Thwomp King wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:22 pm
They weren't bad per say. It's just they don't hold up to levels of today's standards.

The Thwomp King
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Super Mario Country

Postby The Thwomp King » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:25 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:24 pm
The Thwomp King wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:22 pm
They weren't bad per say. It's just they don't hold up to levels of today's standards.
Ah okay that's pretty reasonable. It's been a few years so I can understand that for sure.

Check out my current project, Super Mario Country:

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:26 pm

Also I'll be removing Robotics;Hotel. As a regular level it's kind of lacking, I think it's questionable it's there and ShadowStar doesn't really like that level.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:50 pm

AS for Robotics;Hotel, I also did not like it. Most of the early contest do have a bit of an "Ehh" statement to them.

ImageImageImage

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [Draft 2 Complete - Please Leave Feedback Below]

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:42 pm

I've went through all 30 of Thwomp KIng's cotnests and I actually found a level that could be included in the list, albeit probably uses the updated version due to the level design being the same and better graphics in the updated version

The one level from all of Thwomp King's contests is
The Mole King's Underground Fort by PROX.

Also, this category is highly suspect to change as I do more testing with these levels but for now the two levels from PIxel's Kaizo Contest on the list are
SPINJUMP ON EVERYTHING by Pyro (?) and also I think not having levels because they're too short is not a very good idea. It's should be focused on what the level accomplishes when it exists. Moreover A Very Warm Cave is like 1 minute long.
Violent Grotto by Nerx (?)
The reasoning is that for both of these levels, I believe that it really tests your knowledge of how the game works while playing. Need to continue testing these levels.

Kaizo Contest Extraordinaire
The only level that understands what a kaizo level is in this contest is Disappointment by Jayce. It is centered around castle themed enemies and spin jumping off of them to progress in the level. It's around a minute of a level, but this level is as hard as A Very Waaaaaarm Cave.

With that we have finished the 2nd draft of this project, list of 2nd draft is on first page.

Level Contest Japan Another Update: I will be removing Sidekick Struggles from this list, while this level is alright. I tried looking at footage of the level and immediately started having a headache and feeling disoriented. This will be removed for accessibility reasons since visual stimulation that could harm people such as rapidly flashing lights or a camera screen that moves everywhere is something I'd like to avoid.

Added in 1 hour 51 seconds:
The SuckerMan7 contest series will not be included

Added in 3 hours 44 minutes 21 seconds:
No levels from Tower of Biased 0 will be included
Tower of Biased 11 renamed to Community Contest 12 on the levels list

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [Draft 2 Complete - Please Leave Feedback Below]

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Separating this from the previous post for readability reasons.

Please level feedback down below about the current level list and what can be removed/added. This list is highly flexible and suspect to probably change a ton over the course of this happening. It's not really easy compiling a list and selecting them from over 1000 levels.

Another matter I would like to ask is that should we actually include joke levels in this pack? This aspect is something I feel conflicted about.
The reasoning for this is that some joke levels are extremely potent and memorable. And as such are a major part of level contests.
On the other hand, they'll not really the greatest levels and might seem out of place in this pack.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:41 pm

Disappointment is the only participant level I am comfortable with being in this; though the level purposely spelled without an "E".

ImageImageImage

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:44 am

More updates: I’m trying to curtail file size of the episode since I don’t want it to be too large. As a result, I think that the joke levels will be removed which means
1. There are no Tower of Biased levels
2. Block Bollocks is now removed
3. Catch That Star is removed
4. Veggie Pile is also removed also due to crash issues

Speaking about LCJ
- System Error will be removed, the level although fine kind of just exists and then ends
- Toad Run is just a tech showcase and isn’t really necessary and fine to remove for a reduced file size

Kaizo Contests
- Cotton Sky Land will be removed since I don't think it's as potent as the other levels in the list
- Crazy Chapel will also be removed since it's a fine level its own right, but it doesn't really feel suited for a kaizo contest.3

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [Draft 3 Complete - Leave Feedback Below and Team]

Postby Eclipsed » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:40 am

Draft 3 is now complete, joke levels are now removed and I received mostly a nod of approval after quality of life fixes are inserted from 7NameSam(LCJ) and ShadowStarX(He wanted to have Another Typical Lava Level Included). Any feedback is valuable for this project and will be considered, leave thoughts on the list and why a level should be added or removed.

I forgot to mention who's exactly helping me with this project right now.

Selecting Regular levels:
Eclipsed, ShadowStarX, and 7NameSam
Selecting Kaizo Levels:
Eclipsed, MECHDRAGON777
World Map:
8luestorm
Lua Coders:
MrDoubleA, Quantumenace, SetaYoshi

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [Draft 3 Complete - Leave Feedback Below and Team]

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:18 am

The Grand Extravaganza Level Updates: Will not include any levels. I looked at the high placing levels and my main issue with those is that they're too janky and unnatural to play.and there doesn't seem to be any easy lua/level fixes that don't overhaul the entire gameplay. I wanted to have something to represent TGE, but I feel like that there's just core engine issues for most of these levels.

- Cosmothedral by Waddle has this issue at the end that's really frustrating that the last jump feels extremely inconsistent.
- The winning level I like design wise but it has issues of being too slow and unnatural to players.
- Bad by 7NameSam in The Grand Extravaganza has this gimmick that kind of feels unfun at parts.

Also i found the SNAPAN contest.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:58 am

Here's the Super Community Contest, myself, Shadowstar and 7NameSam agreed upon. The main issue now is that we can't view the other levels since they seemed lost to time. The only person that may have them is Quill.

- He's Back by rockythechao
- Juggle Physics by Enjl
- Mea Culpa by 7NameSam
- Wetland Waterworks by Darkonius Makavar 3

Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(
Current Project: Super Toad Bros. X
Chat Username: Gamer of Studios

Postby Chanceux2 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:53 pm

I never knew that I can make a contest.... but im too lazy so I'm not doing something like that

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:58 pm

Chanceux2 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:53 pm
I never knew that I can make a contest.... but im too lazy so I'm not doing something like that

Yeah you're better off not doing it and joining other contests instead, I think I already told you why.

Also I just DM'd Quill for SCC. He only has the SCC levels on his old PC, which he can't access during the lockdown, so we have to wait for that as long as it lasts
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:03 pm

MAGLX level selection after having ShadowStar and 7NameSam discuss it. The winning level of both maglx's are decent and both obligatory to have on this list.

- Yoshi's Island River by castlepokemonmetroid (Automatic)
- Shaken, Not Stirred by Unaniem
- I do Like My mysterious Ocean levels Don't I by Holy333333333333333333333333333333333333
- Ocean Fish House by SpoonyBard333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

I wanted to add Desert Oasis Fort, but it doesnt really seems like it would fit too well.
aLSO FOR MAFAB- MAGLX1 edition, there will be no bosses.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Current Project: The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:10 pm

Perhaps a handful of levels from Level of the Year 2019 (and 2020 when we get to that) could be included in this too? Just an idea.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Shadow Yoshi, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"A serious joke question" - MECHDRAGON777, 2020

My Project - The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:24 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:10 pm
Perhaps a handful of levels from Level of the Year 2019 (and 2020 when we get to that) could be included in this too? Just an idea.
While, I would like to put levels from there in it. I'm not entirely sure if I want to since it's not a contest in the traditional sense of people specifically to be judge on. It's more of a community driven vote to determine what levels there are. I honestly have mixed opinions on the matter so if the majority of people want it to be included, I'd be open for it. In essence just I'm just going to gauge the general consensus before making a decision on your request.

Added in 4 minutes 47 seconds:
gAUGING INTEREST in FROm people who responded to IN PREVIOUS POSTS? tHOUGHTS ON ABOVE?
Enjl wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:06 pm
cato wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:08 pm
Cedur wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:28 pm
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:46 am
The Thwomp King wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:41 am
Chanceux2 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:06 am
Added in 2 hours 32 minutes 31 seconds:
I have updated the first post to have both the team on it and indicate the status of level approvals. Moreover, I want to try to find another person to have another opinion on the kaizo levels.

Return to “Projects”