Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Re: COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Postby Aero » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:51 pm

Cedur wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:58 pm
For the record I'm referring to the general mood in the population and the media.

Germany is now also being severely affected. We're approaching a state where basically everything is cancelled and everyone should stay home.

I really want to play Boules on Sunday (first time after three weeks, due to all of my applications), and mom's really upset over that small amount of people present already (like, just 20 people) since any of them could have travelled recently to Italy etc etc

like come on, it's not like even 0.1% of people in Germany have been infected yet. It pisses me off that I probably need to bear this mood on a private level too and I'm really anxious for the next weeks, because of this, not due to the virus itself. Just right before I have to move away from home anyway!
Germany is looking at a recession to go along with a pandemic. That's a very dangerous combination. Closing businesses, and cancelling events is not overkill. The situation has not yet started to improve, so there is good reason for concern. That 0.1% can change fast as seen in Italy.

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:15 pm

Double posting for an update: two presumed positive cases were just announced in my state. More are under surveillance.

Also I recommend this streamer to keep up to date: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-nVOVTUUxk

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:38 am

There's also a case in Karlsruhe, where I still work for this month. But I'm still not one of the persons thinking one couldn't go anywhere in public.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Locus
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: Overcoming existential dread

Postby Locus » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:34 am

I generally think many people are exaggerating. I see people that act like something similar has never happened before. Exactly the same sort of fear mongering happened when the Ebola virus was a big topic.

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:30 pm

This isn't Ebola. If you got Ebola it was a flip of the coin for survival and you had to be symptomatic to spread it. COVID-19 has a 2 week incubation period and is able to spread without showing symptoms. That with the lower death rate lets it spread out far more than Ebola can.

Roebloz
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Flair: i make stuff
Current Project: NO NO NOOOO!!! 2, Roebloz's Level Pack
Chat Username: Roebloz

Postby Roebloz » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:37 pm

Apparently one confirmed case in Quebec.
Try out my unfair Level, NO NO NOOOO!!! http://www.mediafire.com/file/kh004wa3x ... 2.zip/file

mechamind
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Flair: You can set your mind to it!

Postby mechamind » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:39 pm

I figured someone would find a way to blame the United States for this, and the health care system might just be where they look to do it.

In short, high costs would cause Americans to avoid treatment and keep it spreading.

https://money.yahoo.com/coronavirus-sic ... 16804.html

That said, I'll be taking this with a huge grain of salt, even with all the article comments.
Enjl wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote: Should I be offended or proud? XD hahaha
oh my god did you just ping everyone again
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 48&t=13185

Mechamind is on YouTube! - mechamind90 (or my alternate channel)
Setting up elsewhere too - http://www.mechamind.com (plus my forum)

The upper echelon of pixel art? (If you didn't know, I like these games too.)
Click for My DX-Ball 2 playlist or My Rival Ball playlist

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:50 am

I just heard from Twitter a few minutes ago! The Coronavirus is in Texas (the state I'm living in rn). :o

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:29 am

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:50 am
I just heard from Twitter a few minutes ago! The Coronavirus is in Texas (the state I'm living in rn). :o

Chill please. You're not in danger.

Why do people like to run in circles so much? not aiming to you FPP but to all the panicking people in general

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm
Current Project: Many, MANY stuff
Chat Username: 8luestorm

Postby 8lue Storm » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:03 pm

Today, my school gave us a lecture about the new Coronavirus today, the Biology and History teachers summarized the information that was gathered so far and talked about the virus and the impact it has on global economy. There are 2 cases in my country so far and there is no reason to panic(!!!!!!), you just mantain some basic hygiene, avoid using drugs, stay away from large crowds, especially if you have symptoms and it will be mostly fine.
It was also said that this virus has a high mutation rate because of the type of genetic information it has, so people also have to be aware of it. It affects the respiratory system causing coughs, fever, and in more serious cases, problems like pneumonia. It can infect other people through contacts like hugs, handshakes, kisses and also uncleaned surfaces, such as door handles, cellphones and handrails.
For the politics, the coronavirus meant a decline in my country's economy (and probably many others), because more than 50% of the soy we produce here is exported to China; with the virus, no soy is being imported and our income is decreasing. It also meant reduction in China's pollution, because the factories are closed due to the virus.
One big alert they gave us was to NOT spread fake news. They only cause panic and misinformation and that's a big, big bad, especially in a situation like this.

Don't panic. Handle the situation with care and attention and it will all be well.

Another curious point! Researchers of a University in my country, along with Oxford University were able to sequence the virus's genome in 48h. This fact comes as a counter-argument to one of the government's decisions, which was to cut the budget of federal universities because of the... mess in them? Oh yeah, I can totally see where this "mess" has led us to: making a discovery about a virus that's spreading globally.

The talk they gave us was really good, the History teacher is one of the best, he's very specialized in economics and the such, it was a really enjoyable lecture. They also alerted us that some of these points might be present in entrance exams (since we're the oldest in the school, it makes sense to warn us about this).

i never performed a shelljump and it's sad I did a grand total of 4 shelljumps in my life!

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy

Postby zioy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:06 pm

Definitely not as big of a deal as the media’s making it out to be, but if it keeps getting handled badly like it is at the moment then it could definitely end up becoming that bad.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:40 pm

It's not just the media, but it's also high-level medics and other authorities that implore to cancel all kinds of events and even say "you shouldn't visit elder people" or "it's best if humanity went on a complete hiatus for two weeks". Except that's nowhere doable, eh?

mechamind
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby mechamind » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:03 am

One thing I keep seeing related to Coronavirus on social media is about shopping panic. My brother hasn't seen it yet where he shops. There's even a separate trend for "Costco panic", but as a Costco member card holder myself, I haven't seen that yet where my store is located. Seems close to the usual crowd, there was plenty on the shelves, and there wasn't even a line-up of cars outside the store.

Then again, maybe it's just the time of day. I always go in about 10-15 minutes after opening on weekends, though it's still kinda busy. But when it says panic, I would have assumed it also means people waiting outside of Costco before it opens, because they want to get the essentials before anyone else can.
Enjl wrote:

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:54 am

https://www.wesh.com/article/2-coronavi ... h/31267288

One of the possible new cases in my state is being reported with their death. The CDC has only tested ~1,500 people as of March 6th. That's really bad.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:54 am

mechamind wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:03 am
One thing I keep seeing related to Coronavirus on social media is about shopping panic. My brother hasn't seen it yet where he shops. There's even a separate trend for "Costco panic", but as a Costco member card holder myself, I haven't seen that yet where my store is located. Seems close to the usual crowd, there was plenty on the shelves, and there wasn't even a line-up of cars outside the store.

Then again, maybe it's just the time of day. I always go in about 10-15 minutes after opening on weekends, though it's still kinda busy. But when it says panic, I would have assumed it also means people waiting outside of Costco before it opens, because they want to get the essentials before anyone else can.

Shopping panic is definitely a thing where I live, I got to witness it myself yesterday.

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:14 pm

Map + dashboard of cases: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 7b48e9ecf6

Markets are still taking hits and a recession is still likely. This disease will probably reshape politics and trade. There's not too much good news yet.

mechamind
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby mechamind » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:46 pm

mechamind wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:03 am
...never mind. There was a small line-up of cars this Saturday morning, and the store was crowded. However, there was plenty on the shelves. It could be kind of empty this afternoon, but that's somewhat common for Costco late in the day.

The parking lot was completely full. Good thing my store is in a more convenient location where you don't really have to drive.
Enjl wrote:

cato
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression
Current Project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Chat Username: Cato

Postby cato » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:16 am

Aero wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:14 pm
This disease will probably reshape politics and trade. There's not too much good news yet.
That already happened to China, where their citizens now gain realisation and started to demand freedom of speech.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:09 am

Well the virus now also arrived in my remote circle of acquaintances. :? (I still don't enjoy spending the weekend at home against my will)

And Northern Italy is also declared a restricted area.

Return to “Sandbox”