How do I turn off Cheat Codes?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Animebryan
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: Need help!

How do I turn off Cheat Codes?

Postby Animebryan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:32 pm

My current level is giving me some problems & I've had to resort to using cheat codes for testing. But I can't seem to turn them off. I tried closing the editor & restarting it, but the damn cheat codes are still active. How do I turn them off?

Update: I only used 2 cheat codes: donthurtme = invincibility (God Mode) & ahippinandahoppin = unlimited jumping
The God Mode isn't in effect anymore but the unlimited jumping is the one that won't go away. Just closed & reopened the editor again & sure enough, that unlimited jumping code won't stop.
Last edited by Animebryan on Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need serious help with Lua based features :(

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Re: How do I turn off Cheat Codes?

Postby Hoeloe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Ironically, there's a cheat code to deactivate all cheats. Just type "newleaf".

Animebryan
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: Need help!

Postby Animebryan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:42 pm

Ok, that worked. But having a cheat code that stays active even after closing it & reopening it doesn't seem normal. Is that particular code bugged/glitched or something?
Need serious help with Lua based features :(

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Postby Hoeloe » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:39 am

Cheats will stay active if you close LunaTester because it doesn't actually close the engine, just pauses the game until you test again, in order to reduce load times. It is also possible that by shutting the game down during loading, you can leave the game in an incomplete state, which can cause some aspects of the session data to be saved in the .tmp save file even after the game is closed. Try to avoid shutting the game down while a loading screen is visible.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:12 am

Hoeloe wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:39 am
Try to avoid shutting the game down while a loading screen is visible.
How do you disable loading screens / reduce loading times? My laptop is kinda old so loading into lunatester, loading between levels while playing an episode etc., takes atleast 10-20 seconds most of the time. When I watch videos of people playing levels / episodes, the loading times are almost always less than ~5 seconds. How can I reduce my loading times when playing the game?
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby Electriking » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:32 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:12 am
Hoeloe wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:39 am
Try to avoid shutting the game down while a loading screen is visible.
How do you disable loading screens / reduce loading times? My laptop is kinda old so loading into lunatester, loading between levels while playing an episode etc., takes atleast 10-20 seconds most of the time. When I watch videos of people playing levels / episodes, the loading times are almost always less than ~5 seconds. How can I reduce my loading times when playing the game?
The best way to do this would be figuring out how to make your computer run faster.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:41 am

Taycamgame wrote:
How do you disable loading screens / reduce loading times?
Loading screens are just things the game displays during loading to keep you entertained/indicate that the program didn't crash. You can disable them, but it won't make loading any faster. You can make a custom loadscreen.lua in your episode folder to have an episode-specific loading screen. If you just put an empty onDraw in there, it renders nothing during loading.

To reduce loading time, get a faster PC.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:41 am
Taycamgame wrote:
Loading screens are just things the game displays during loading to keep you entertained/indicate that the program didn't crash. You can disable them, but it won't make loading any faster. You can make a custom loadscreen.lua in your episode folder to have an episode-specific loading screen. If you just put an empty onDraw in there, it renders nothing during loading.

Also, quite often when it starts loading, it'll take a while and then I click on the game window. When I do so, the window says "Not Responding", and another click after that makes the window grey out.
Is getting a new, faster PC really the only solution for this issue? Is there anything I could try to solve this without having to buy another device?
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby Electriking » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:43 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:45 pm
Enjl wrote:
Taycamgame wrote:

Also, quite often when it starts loading, it'll take a while and then I click on the game window. When I do so, the window says "Not Responding", and another click after that makes the window grey out.
Is getting a new, faster PC really the only solution for this issue? Is there anything I could try to solve this without having to buy another device?
Upgrading you existing PC.

Also you may be abe to make some improvements by clearing out junk or making sure no other software runs in the backgound. If that isn't enough, then there is no way around spending money in order to solve your issue.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:55 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:45 pm
Enjl wrote:
Taycamgame wrote:

Post your specs and we might be able to point to some parts that are in most dire need of replacing. Though since it's an old laptop I doubt it was ever meant to be sustainable for a large number of years or easily customizable. Most older laptops I'm aware of are designed for continuous use of the microsoft word suite which is quite a bit lighter than a videogame.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:30 am

Electriking wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:43 pm
1) Upgrading you existing PC.
2) clearing out junk
3) or making sure no other software runs in the backgound.
1) I'd prefer not having to buy anything since SMBX is the only thing I really use my laptop for, other than browsing the internet.

2) I might try clearing out my recycle bin, removing temp data etc., also I may try defragmenting my laptop again (the last time I did was at the start of the year).

3) When using SMBX, I only have PGE, Google Chrome, File Explorer and Joy2Key open (the former is mandatory, the latter can't be closed otherwise i can't use a controller while playing).
Enjl wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:55 pm
Post your specs and we might be able to point to some parts that are in most dire need of replacing. Though since it's an old laptop I doubt it was ever meant to be sustainable for a large number of years or easily customizable. Most older laptops I'm aware of are designed for continuous use of the microsoft word suite which is quite a bit lighter than a videogame.
My laptop is manufactured by Acer, I think it's an Aspire E15 Start, or something

The specs are:
Processor: Intel Celeron CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz
RAM: 4.0 GB (3.88 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

In terms of how old it is, I believe I got my laptop on Xmas 2013 or 2014, I can't remember which year exactly.
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:56 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:30 am
My laptop is manufactured by Acer, I think it's an Aspire E15 Start, or something

The specs are:

In terms of how old it is, I believe I got my laptop on Xmas 2013 or 2014, I can't remember which year exactly.
It's described as an entry-level office laptop in this review, leading me to believe that, indeed, it was only designed for handling microsoft word and excel and not much else. The Celeron processor with 2 cores further signifies this, as even compared to the 2013 intel core processor it's just a snail. Notice on that page too how yours is described as a "tree trunk" in terms of gaming speed, while the other is at least a "sail boat". That's probably the first place to look for an upgrade. Second place would probably be upgrading to at least 8GB RAM of DDR3L 1333-type memory (the one your laptop supports). Thirdly and finally, the graphics card which is probably also just designed for microsoft excel. That one's probably more luxury, in case you find some SMBX2 episodes have laggy shaders.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 am

Enjl wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:56 am
Taycamgame wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:30 am

The specs are:

It's described as an entry-level office laptop in this review, leading me to believe that, indeed, it was only designed for handling microsoft word and excel and not much else. The Celeron processor with 2 cores further signifies this, as even compared to the 2013 intel core processor it's just a snail. That's probably the first place to look for an upgrade. Second place would probably be upgrading to at least 8GB RAM of DDR3L 1333-type memory (the one your laptop supports). Thirdly and finally, the graphics card which is probably also just designed for microsoft excel. That one's probably more luxury, in case you find some SMBX2 episodes have laggy shaders.
I see... I'll probably just get a new laptop eventually but not at this moment in time. Any suggestions which are cheap but still decent?

Also, when I first started using SMBX, it didn't really lag at all. None of the "not responding" occurrences, not really any issues. I guess it's just grown slower over time.
BTW is it generally a bad idea to leave your laptop on all the time? I don't often turn it off, I just close the lid when I'm done with it (to make it faster to resume from where I left off).
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:12 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 am
BTW is it generally a bad idea to leave your laptop on all the time? I don't often turn it off, I just close the lid when I'm done with it (to make it faster to resume from where I left off).
Turning a computer off is analogous to a human going to sleep. Shutting off gets rid of garbage that accumulates in the background and allows for a fresh start.

If you want a cheap upgrade you can just get the processor above for like 70 bucks which is vastly cheaper than any good laptop you can find. If you want a full laptop upgrade, dunno. I'm a desktop user so I'm not well-versed in the laptopspace beyond "acer and hp mainly do office stuff and razer does high end gaming stuff". Though my tips is to use the comparison site I linked above, and others of its kind for other components like graphics cards. You wanna avoid buying another tree trunk. Intel core is generally good for gaming in terms of processors. AMD Ryzen series is also good.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:24 am

Enjl wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:12 am
If you want a cheap upgrade you can just get the processor above for like 70 bucks which is vastly cheaper than any good laptop you can find. If you want a full laptop upgrade, dunno. I'm a desktop user so I'm not well-versed in the laptopspace beyond "acer and hp mainly do office stuff and razer does high end gaming stuff". Though my tips is to use the comparison site I linked above, and others of its kind for other components like graphics cards. You wanna avoid buying another tree trunk. Intel core is generally good for gaming in terms of processors. AMD Ryzen series is also good.
I don't mind spending a bigger amount, but I'd prefer something cheap as SMBX and browsing the internet are really the only things I use my laptop for (and spending all that money for one or two things seems unnecessary).
I'll take a look at the site though, and I'll keep those parts you suggested in mind. I was never planning to "perform surgery" on my laptop, but I suppose it's for the best at this point.
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Return to “Help and Support”