RIP Mario Royale

This is the place for video games!
McNaquar
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: YouTuber

RIP Mario Royale

Postby McNaquar » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:59 pm

A couple weeks ago I found out, on YouTube, about an online game called Mario Royale. I'm sure many of you have heard of it too. It's a Fortnite parody using Super Mario Bros. Unforunately there isn'rt anything to show of the game because Nintendo killed it. They tried to fix it after the DMCA complaint but Nintendo pushed for it's removal on unknown grounds. The dev thinks it's because the game mechanics are too similar to their stuff (Which does make me worry about Super Mario Bros. X).

News of the game: https://www.news18.com/news/tech/mario- ... 01863.html

The DMCA hit and the aftermath: https://kottke.org/19/06/mario-royale

The final result and end of the game: http://www.infernoplus.com/royale/

I'm thinking Nintendo may come up with their own "Mario Royale" now... can't they let people come up with ideas without stealing them? (Wii U gamepad and even Donkey Kong are great examples of creator theft)

Please note: The above is the provide information only, no ill will was intended.

sammerbro
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: playing and making SMBX stuff

Re: RIP Mario Royale

Postby sammerbro » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:12 pm

I'm thinking Nintendo may come up with their own "Mario Royale" too.
Also, I'm worried about SMBX too...........

McNaquar
Spiny
Spiny

Postby McNaquar » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:28 pm

With Nintendo's Super Mario Maker 2 there is some cause for concern but not really because it has a pay gate for online use. I'm more concerned that apparently Nintendo doesn't like anything functioning like their games. It's not just graphics and sounds effects anymore. Plus I've known for years they steal indie devs ideas if the devs decide to make a Mario "clone" or fan game.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby Electriking » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:56 am

There may be a possibility that Nintendo goes after SMBX on the grounds that they are making Mario Maker 2, and SMBX could be found by those who don't have a Switch (or just doesn't want to pay for Mario Maker 2) looking for a free alternative. However, considering it survived the first game, which was not only on a less successful console (so more people didn't have it = more people looking for alternatives), but also made by a Nintendo that was worse when it comes to fan games, so it should not be be that concerning. The only difference between now and then which could potentially have Nintendo coming after SMBX is the fact there is more development now vs 2015 (where SMBX2 and 38A were still in their infancy), but that could also be controlled by the SMBX2 devs (by not releasing updates for the next few months, and wait until the initial sales period is over).

Just because Mario Royale was taken down does confirm that SMBX's days are numbered. Also even when it was DMCA Royale, the levels were still 1:1 remakes of SMB levels, and the game was parodying the fact it was DMCA'd Nintendo, which could have pissed them off.

If SMBX got DMCA'd, and was requested to be taken down by Nintendo even after being renamed and having its assets replaced with ones from A2XT, on the grounds that it functions like Mario, then I guess does Nintendo suddenly own the entire platformer genre?
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo

Postby MegaDood » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:51 am

I honestly wouldn't be too worried about SMBX being targeted. Nintendo already released Mario Maker, and Mario Maker 2 is coming very soon. If they saw SMBX as a threat, they would have already taken it down before SMM1 was even released.
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

McNaquar
Spiny
Spiny

Postby McNaquar » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:07 am

Yeah well I remember reading that there was a Cease and Desist issued to Redigit, I was known as MarioAddict at the original forums back then, regarding the game which is one reason he stopped development, the other to create Terraria. ElectricMario they can claim any game that acts like Mario (in the sense of enemy killing, power-up, etc.) can be seen as infringement. Not the entire platformer genre just specifics that make any game play identical to their own products. If SMBX was given such a notice respriting and replacing sound will not save it. Mechanics such as block breaking, Bowser's battle routine (for all versions), all boss routines, power-up features, all the enemies and bosses will need to be reprogrammed, world map system, nearly everything that can be identified as a duplication from a Nintendo product will have to be removed. Plus globally SMM1 was a success with over 100 levels being posted to their servers a every few minutes everyday worldwide. It wasn't a huge money make for Nintendo but it was a success with fans.

Electriking

Postby Electriking » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:00 pm

It is confirmed that all that happened was the site was taken down and the domain was seized by Nintendo because of ad revenue as well as the name potentially causing confusion (people mistaking it for an official Nintendo site). It just happened to be the site that also had SMBX on it, but the game itself was not taken down (though Redigit probably worded it in a way to suggest otherwise, in order to rid himself of it, and work on Terraria).

Also try to name a platformer with zero similarities to Mario, because I can't. If you Nintendo could get away with claiming an SMBX that is completely resprited to have completely original GFX/Music to be a copy of Mario, then they can do the same to any other platformer, hence being given the ability to claim ownership of the genre as a whole (especially considering the simplicity of most of the mechanics in Mario, which is what makes inherently mechanics of platformer games in general).

And SMM2 is almost guaranteed to be more successful than the first game, as not only is it on a far more successful console, it is also a huge improvement, so the majority of the existing audience for the first game as well as what will likely be an even larger new audience will be getting it, so if fan made mario editors were not a threat in 2015, they definitely won't be a threat now.

McNaquar
Spiny
Spiny

Postby McNaquar » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:45 pm

Confirmed? Can you provide proof? SMM2 will not be successful because of the pay gate. No one is going to pay and pay and pay and pay for game forever. Also I would appreciate it if you, Eletricking, would STOP attempting to make me a liar. Just because you are a mod give you no right to bully. No members can, so should staff have that ability. Please provide your confirmed proof and I don't just want proof from what you heard I'd like to see a screenshot from Redigit himself otherwise your claim is just a claim without evidence. Now I myself don't have any evidence because I didn't think SMBX was ever going to be continued past 1.3.1...

Electriking

Postby Electriking » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:43 pm

McNaquar wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:45 pm
Confirmed? Can you provide proof?
I would consider the fact that SMBX is still existing as evidence that Nintendo never intended to actually go after the game itself. There has been enough time for Nintendo to have realised that people have been trying to keep the game alive and put a stop to it.
McNaquar wrote: SMM2 will not be successful because of the pay gate. No one is going to pay and pay and pay and pay for game forever.
If by pay gate you mean Nintendo Switch Online, then say what you want about it, but I'm sure most people are fine paying $20 per year, especially considering they are also fine paying $40+ for similar services on other consoles. The game may be might be enough to push the more hesitant people to cave and get Online. And the tickets you can get probably make the service worth paying for (definitely if you can buy them more than once, otherwise at least you basically get paid back for an individual membership if you get 2 full price games, and you get access to online multiplayer).
McNaquar wrote: Also I would appreciate it if you, Eletricking, would STOP attempting to make me a liar. Just because you are a mod give you no right to bully.
Since when was disagreeing with someone considered bullying and making them a liar? I am not doing either of those.

McNaquar
Spiny
Spiny

Postby McNaquar » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:24 pm

Could we get back on topic or have this discussion deleted? I am growing tired of this, I shouldn't have to be subjected to a moderator's immature behavior. I'm 32 and despite my age or anyone's age this type of childish behavior needs to stop. ElectricKing has no actual proof only an opinion to back his "proof." I feel I am being attacked here bu someone that is responsible for order in the forums not schoolyard chaos! Now can we please get back on the topic of Mario Royale, if anyone was able to play it before it's removal by Nintendo, please? I'm not trying to cause any trouble, one's opinion shouldn't be attacked.

cato
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression

Postby cato » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:37 am

If you are interested, here you go.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... r%202,SMBX

McNaquar
Spiny
Spiny

Postby McNaquar » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:27 am

cato wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:37 am
If you are interested, here you go.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... r%202,SMBX
Interested in what? Are we still on the topic of Nintendo targeting SMBX or not? I'm confused....

cato
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression

Postby cato » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:02 am

We are nothing compared to Mario Royale or Mario Maker 2. Nintendo won't target us because we ain't even popular at all. Mario Royale got taken down because of its sudden rise in popularity, making popular Mario Maker streamers ( Grandpoobear, Ryukahr etc ) plays it on streaming, causing more attention to Nintendo.
With Mario Maker 2 on the market, people's interest would be WAY over SMBX, where we are still at rock bottom of google trends.
The most important things Nintendo would do is to patch glitches in their popular game, quality control etc. They won't have much time at all.

If unfortunately, SMBX is being targetted, we still have some backup plan.
With ASMBXT ( From Talkhaus ), we could re-sprite every NPCs and use Talkhaus's characters.
Some interesting facts that multiple news-website, game-reviewing platforms etc, said that Nintendo couldn't sue over a mechanic ( Mostly platforming ), and if the creator of Mario Royale really does get into court, he could potentially win the case because there is nothing to sue over. But again, it requires money.

McNaquar
Spiny
Spiny

Postby McNaquar » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Google regards us as a game, we are considered a game by YouTube and a heck of a lot of videos exist there... those trending results can be backed by big companies advertising efforts so they can be skewed. Also respriting won't help as seen by Mario Royale, it's the gameplay that counts and Nintendo wont say what part either. This topic needs to be closed I was talking about how Mario Royale got canned and how Nintendo is doing it on the grounds of gameplay and how it could possibly spell trouble for games like SMBX to stur conversation about it and it's turning into a SMBX is superior fest with no attempt at staying on topic. Is this how it works in this forum? People make topics and everyone else changes them and takes control? Also I will say again, SMBX is not invulnerable, this game is against copyright law. No one is backing up these claims of how it was canned before. Can we please get back on topic or close it?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:02 am

McNaquar wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:22 pm
Can we please get back on topic or close it?
1. The main intent of the topic leaves barely any room for discussion, as it's covering a dead game which many people here haven't played or have nothing to say about. I played it, got 1st place and then stopped.
2. I would consider trademark and DMCA discussion part of the "topic" since you explicitly wrote the first post about it. Even if it was just for providing information, there is some speculation within that other people here have made more research on since they've been in the community for longer and have seen the topic of potential DMCA countless times.
McNaquar wrote:
Also I will say again, SMBX is not invulnerable, this game is against copyright law.
Not vulnerable? Yes. Against copyright law... no.
SMBX is covered by fair use (nonprofit work that [currently] doesn't affect the potential market) and Nintendo's policy about using their content. As seen on the latter page: Nintendo is unable to give fans the explicit right to use their IPs due to the legal complications involved. It's a correct observation that games that have gotten a significant amount of traction (Pokemon Uranium, AM2R, Mario Royale) got taken down due to the traction they received: Nintendo doesn't bat an eye unless the game starts interfering with their plans (point 4 of the fair use link). In that regard, cato's point is entirely valid and further backed by the fact that over the years a couple dozen people have intentionally exposed SMBX to Nintendo through various media channels such as twitter DMs.
McNaquar wrote:
No one is backing up these claims of how it was canned before.
McNaquar wrote:
it's the gameplay that counts and Nintendo wont say what part either
Related points. It's not the gameplay that counts, it's the IP. If you're using a Nintendo IP commercially or are starting to compete with Nintendo for attention, you're gonna have to take your game down. The wayback machine reveals the order of events in which things happened. First SMBX disappeared from the site, then the site disappeared a year later. Hm! Would be cool to have Redigit's input on this now, no?
Well...... I can't source this conversation, but it involved some quotes from Redigit about how SMBX was taken down because it used the Mario IP and how he also had to take down all videos of the game at the time.
So what now? Why is it not taken down once more? Why has Nintendo stopped caring?
We don't know, but I have a suspicion: The source code didn't change and the DMCA'd developer kept his promise and left the program behind.
Tricky spot. Nobody else claims to be the developer of the source code. So who does Nintendo DMCA? The SMBX2 developers? The forum admins? What about other communities? Maybe one fell swoop across all of them. What about SMBX38A? No clue. I think that branch is currently most prone to being targeted in the future due to the fact it exists completely separate from SMBX 1.3 and SMBX2. What about SMBX2? We're looking into a way to lean into the reliance on a preexisting 1.3 installation so that SMBX2 works more as a "patch" similar to super mario world IPS/BPS patches. Is shutting either down worth it? Doesn't seem like it. This community hardly consists of their target audience for Super Mario Maker anyway anymore.
As far as I see it, the worst thing that can happen to SMBX at the moment is it being covered by influencers en masse.
McNaquar wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:07 am
If SMBX was given such a notice respriting and replacing sound will not save it
From what I have noted before, getting rid of the super mario IP from the game is exactly what would work around such a DMCA. Look at Mother 4 for an example of a game that started out as a fangame but later rebranded. Or Bug Fables which maybe didn't start out as a fangame, but is very unsubtly paper mario's artstyle and gameplay.
So what about SMBX? There's a few Mario-IP-related things... hardcoded into the source code! So this is difficult. SMBX2 and SMBX38A are easily able to adapt, but SMBX 1.3 isn't. Then again, it was already DMCA'd once, so...
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

McNaquar
Spiny
Spiny

Postby McNaquar » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:33 pm

How about I just leave this forum entirely? I seem to be getting only staff members upset here. My opinions are not even valued here. I'm logging out now.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:37 pm

McNaquar wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:33 pm
How about I just leave this forum entirely? I seem to be getting only staff members upset here. My opinions are not even valued here. I'm logging out now.

Yes please do when you make up to be attacked and when you go on a pathetic rampage. You've already been banned from a couple of discord servers for your childish narcissism
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:08 pm

McNaquar wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:33 pm
You're a manchild. Sorry, someone has to say it lmao

McNaquar
Spiny
Spiny

Postby McNaquar » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:38 pm

Since the point of this topic is over something no one seems to care about and was not intended to be JUST about SMBX can this be closed now? It seems to be turning into a flame thread.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy

Postby Aero » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Since this thread hasn't been civil and is getting off topic I'm going to cut it off here.

Return to “Video Games”