[NVS] Mario's Kingdom Adventure [UPDATE 30/04/2020]

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.

Which version of SMBX2 should be used in development?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:43 pm

SMBX2 Beta 3
0
No votes
SMBX2 MaGLX3
2
50%
Both, use beta 3 for most levels and MaGLX3 for levels that include the new features
1
25%
Use beta 3 for now and add new items in once the full release of beta 4 arrives
1
25%
 
Total votes: 4
User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4485
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing
Contact:

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Electriking » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:16 pm

So you are cancelling your project just because a new version of SMBX came out?
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1389
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame
Contact:

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:18 pm

Electriking wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:16 pm
So you are cancelling your project just because a new version of SMBX came out?
Precisely.
check bottom of Op for more details
Things change, don't they? So might as well move on.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Image
Image
Image
Image
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6476
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Cedur » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:19 pm

Taycamgame wrote:check bottom of Op for more details

you had me and others pretty hard, congratz.

small blemish though, you were a few hours early!
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1389
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame
Contact:

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Taycamgame » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Happy APRIL FOOLS 2019!
I got you good there, didn't i?

Now, there actually is something special prepared. I felt rather bad pulling that prank, so to make it up, i've created a special level for MKA!
You can download it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fz4bagas2jy5 ... .lvlx?dl=0

Images for proof:
Spoiler: show
Image
Demo of one of the later levels in the game. Hope you have fun, as this may be the final level released to the public before full release. :)
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Image
Image
Image
Image
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

User avatar
MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:43 am
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby MegaDood » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:20 pm

Would this be compatible with Beta 4 when it is released?
My Project:
Image
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:


Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1389
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame
Contact:

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Taycamgame » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:18 am

We're thinking about porting a version of this over to the MaGLX3 version. So most likely yes, though there may be some things that will need adjusting (e.g. a bug being used)
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Image
Image
Image
Image
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

User avatar
MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:43 am
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby MegaDood » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:10 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:18 am
We're thinking about porting a version of this over to the MaGLX3 version. So most likely yes, though there may be some things that will need adjusting (e.g. a bug being used)
I don't think it's be the best idea to be honest. There will be a few changes between that and Beta 4, and it might mess a few things up for the project. I'd stick to Beta 3, but be ready to add Beta 4 stuff as soon as you can. This is just my opinion though.
My Project:
Image
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:


Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4485
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing
Contact:

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Electriking » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:10 am

MegaDood wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:10 am
Taycamgame wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:18 am
We're thinking about porting a version of this over to the MaGLX3 version. So most likely yes, though there may be some things that will need adjusting (e.g. a bug being used)
I don't think it's be the best idea to be honest. There will be a few changes between that and Beta 4, and it might mess a few things up for the project. I'd stick to Beta 3, but be ready to add Beta 4 stuff as soon as you can. This is just my opinion though.
It would probably be easier to move transfer episodes from MaGLX3 to beta 4 than from beta 3 to beta 4. You are just going have to make changes if the episode is negatively affected by bug fixes. You should only avoid releasing an episode under MaGLX3, as it does make things harder if the changes between beta 4 and MaGLX3 creates bugs in the episode, as it would create additional pressure on the creator who might be faced with the expectation to get it fixed quickly.

Problems with releasing an episode using MAGLX3 would be removed by being a demo.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6476
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Cedur » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:28 am

<Cedur> will compatiblity really be broken between Beta3 and Beta4?
<Sancles> possibly
I know shrine of machinery is pretty broken in beta 4
<Cedur> so you would have to recreate levels just as if you were to port from 38A to SMBX2?
<waddle> It's more minor than that
some code is broken or slightly altered
<Cedur> so there's no reason to give up a project due to beta4's arrival?
(when it comes)
<waddle> There is only reason to give up building a project in the new MaGLX3 build
but no, beta 3 into beta 4 should be fine over all
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:43 am
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby MegaDood » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:10 am

Electriking wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:10 am
MegaDood wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:10 am
Taycamgame wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:18 am
We're thinking about porting a version of this over to the MaGLX3 version. So most likely yes, though there may be some things that will need adjusting (e.g. a bug being used)
I don't think it's be the best idea to be honest. There will be a few changes between that and Beta 4, and it might mess a few things up for the project. I'd stick to Beta 3, but be ready to add Beta 4 stuff as soon as you can. This is just my opinion though.
It would probably be easier to move transfer episodes from MaGLX3 to beta 4 than from beta 3 to beta 4. You are just going have to make changes if the episode is negatively affected by bug fixes. You should only avoid releasing an episode under MaGLX3, as it does make things harder if the changes between beta 4 and MaGLX3 creates bugs in the episode, as it would create additional pressure on the creator who might be faced with the expectation to get it fixed quickly.

Problems with releasing an episode using MAGLX3 would be removed by being a demo.
I thought it made bugs that were hard to spot though when transferring to Beta 4?
My Project:
Image
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:


Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1389
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame
Contact:

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:34 am

MegaDood wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:10 am
Electriking wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:10 am
MegaDood wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:10 am


I don't think it's be the best idea to be honest. There will be a few changes between that and Beta 4, and it might mess a few things up for the project. I'd stick to Beta 3, but be ready to add Beta 4 stuff as soon as you can. This is just my opinion though.
It would probably be easier to move transfer episodes from MaGLX3 to beta 4 than from beta 3 to beta 4. You are just going have to make changes if the episode is negatively affected by bug fixes. You should only avoid releasing an episode under MaGLX3, as it does make things harder if the changes between beta 4 and MaGLX3 creates bugs in the episode, as it would create additional pressure on the creator who might be faced with the expectation to get it fixed quickly.

Problems with releasing an episode using MAGLX3 would be removed by being a demo.
I thought it made bugs that were hard to spot though when transferring to Beta 4?
Either way, me and my team can always fix these bugs if we come across them when beta 4 releases. One of the reasons for the move to MaGLX3's build is so that we can make levels using the new features, and i'd rather not wait a few more months when i could do it right now, albeit in a buggy version.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Image
Image
Image
Image
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Current Project: Producer of the Novaverse
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Eri7 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:20 am

And also because taycam is way too hyped for the new features.

User avatar
MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:43 am
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby MegaDood » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:55 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:34 am
MegaDood wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:10 am
Electriking wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:10 am


It would probably be easier to move transfer episodes from MaGLX3 to beta 4 than from beta 3 to beta 4. You are just going have to make changes if the episode is negatively affected by bug fixes. You should only avoid releasing an episode under MaGLX3, as it does make things harder if the changes between beta 4 and MaGLX3 creates bugs in the episode, as it would create additional pressure on the creator who might be faced with the expectation to get it fixed quickly.

Problems with releasing an episode using MAGLX3 would be removed by being a demo.
I thought it made bugs that were hard to spot though when transferring to Beta 4?
Either way, me and my team can always fix these bugs if we come across them when beta 4 releases. One of the reasons for the move to MaGLX3's build is so that we can make levels using the new features, and i'd rather not wait a few more months when i could do it right now, albeit in a buggy version.
Ok, seems fair I guess.
My Project:
Image
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:


Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Current Project: Producer of the Novaverse
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Eri7 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:10 am

Well we moved back to beta 3, that was short lived.

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1389
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame
Contact:

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Taycamgame » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:12 am

Eri7 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:10 am
Well we moved back to beta 3, that was short lived.
I still plan to add extra features in once either beta 4 is released or the main development of this episode is complete. We'll be using beta 3 as it's not buggy like MaGLX3, though i still would like to eventually add things from that version into the project.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Image
Image
Image
Image
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8723
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Enjl » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:56 pm

Anything in MAGLX3 that's stopping you from using it for development? The few bugs that do exist are fairly easy to avoid, I believe. Few quirks with things like snake blocks and chucks, which are easily worked around by not using them. Unless you're thinking of a bug that's fairly impactful to an episode's development which I struggle to think of but would like to know about.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Current Project: Producer of the Novaverse
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Eri7 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Enjl wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:56 pm
Anything in MAGLX3 that's stopping you from using it for development? The few bugs that do exist are fairly easy to avoid, I believe. Few quirks with things like snake blocks and chucks, which are easily worked around by not using them. Unless you're thinking of a bug that's fairly impactful to an episode's development which I struggle to think of but would like to know about.
We are using some deprecated luna lua stuff which don't work in maglx3.

User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4485
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing
Contact:

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Electriking » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:20 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:09 pm
Enjl wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:56 pm
Anything in MAGLX3 that's stopping you from using it for development? The few bugs that do exist are fairly easy to avoid, I believe. Few quirks with things like snake blocks and chucks, which are easily worked around by not using them. Unless you're thinking of a bug that's fairly impactful to an episode's development which I struggle to think of but would like to know about.
We are using some deprecated luna lua stuff which don't work in maglx3.
And anything stopping you from creating local copies of the depracated libraries?
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1389
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame
Contact:

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Taycamgame » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:34 pm

I kinda wanted to use the MaGLX3 version for all the new features and stuff. Also would make development of the project faster if i intended to use beta 4 items.
However the rest of my team would like to stick using beta 3 and you can't really have an episode with levels from multiple versions... right?
Just not sure what to do about this currently, i may make a poll about the version used and see what the opinions of everyone else are.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Image
Image
Image
Image
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8723
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Mario's Kingdom Adventure

Postby Enjl » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:09 pm
Enjl wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:56 pm
Anything in MAGLX3 that's stopping you from using it for development? The few bugs that do exist are fairly easy to avoid, I believe. Few quirks with things like snake blocks and chucks, which are easily worked around by not using them. Unless you're thinking of a bug that's fairly impactful to an episode's development which I struggle to think of but would like to know about.
We are using some deprecated luna lua stuff which don't work in maglx3.
I see, thanks for responding so quickly. If the desire to use new features ends up outweighing the struggles to overcome with adapting to newer tech, keep the following in mind:
- encrypt and data class are no longer necessary since SaveData is a thing. That adaptation is fairly quick and painless:
-- local var = data:get(field) --> local var = SaveData.field
-- data:set(field, var) --> SaveData.field = var
-- data:save() --> nothing, done automatically whenever smbx saves

- you're able to fairly easily create local copies of most libraries if you need to. What I tend to do is store them in a "libs" directory in the episode folder and then access them with require("libs/library"). Some (like textblox) might need to be modified a little in order to pull their resources from different folders by default (a "libs/library" folder to accompany the library itself, for example)
- if the problem is the red warnings near the top, rest assured that whatever currently throws up these warnings will only be removed by beta 5, and that none of them will show up when playing the game outside of the editor
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image


Return to “Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest