increase character limit of users' signatures

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^

increase character limit of users' signatures

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:00 pm

Sorry for the bothersome topic. But I think 999 characters for a SMBX member's forums signature ISN'T enough for some members like myself. :roll:

Heck, my signature has exactly 2,216 characters long (Spaces included), which troubles me. So my suggestion on this is, can we increase it to appropriate limit?

I was thinking either:
  • 2500 character limit
or
  • 3000 character limit

Thanks
(Coming soon in 81 days from today: Sega Mega Drive GFX pack)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Re: increase character limit of users' signatures

Postby PixelPest » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:06 pm

No. A signature isn't supposed to be long and the longer you make it the less people will be able to see (since they now cut off with a scroll bar) and they probably won't remember it anyway. There's a lot of stuff for you personally that doesn't really need to be in your signature anyway, such as your goals and links to a bunch of websites that could just be in your profile. Some forums I'm on have even smaller limits since a signature is really just supposed to be a quote or short blurb of text (so like 250ish characters) that people will just see when browsing. Unless their in your profile you can't expect people to be looking through your signature, and that isn't what it's for anyway

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby Electriking » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:37 pm

The vast majority of forums have limits far below what SMBX has (I cannot think of any other forum that comes close to what this one allows, to backup PixelPest) so if you need 1000+ characters then you aren't using the signature as intended.

You can put some self-promotional things in there (but this doesn't really work well), a banner or some of the other things Pixel Pest mentioned.

One way of freeing up space would be to remove the net neutrality thing from your signature (calling your Congress representative won't do anything at this point, so it no longer serves a purpose). And maybe remove the supported episodes (which just promotes others' episodes and won't work any better than self promotion).

Either way, 999 characters is more than enough. And large signatures were already a problem before they got cut-off after 300 pixels. Imagine how much worse this would be if you could make them more than 2-3 times their already large sizes.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 pm

Signatures should honestly be as minimalistic as you can make it. Advertisements don't really need to be on your signature. Beefy signatures annoy most people Because they're fat, take up space, and make every webpage you post on much slower. Save everyone else the convenience and dial down your signature.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

1di_Scroll
Mouser
Mouser
Flair: C'est la vie... profitez-en!

Postby 1di_Scroll » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 am

999 characters, instead of too few, in my opinion is too much. Many users have a very short signature and they are important enough. I also think you should diminish your signature, the goals and the congress image are a bit useless tbh. Also in my opinion there's no need to put your links in the signature because there's a place for that in your profile, as PixelPest said. Instead you could put the link to your graphics topic (for example), or anything special that you would have on the forums, along with your support list and that's it, you have a short and useful signature

Also as TLtimelord said, a big signature takes space and makes a page to load very slow.

Rhosty
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: squid kid

Postby Rhosty » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:30 pm

If the character limit is increased, more people will put spam in their signatures and unnecessarily long messages.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy

Postby Aero » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:38 pm

The same point has been made five times in a row. This isn't going to happen.

Return to “Site Discussion”