Share and discuss custom SMBX graphics.
HVMetal
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: SMBX: The Mushroom Island

Darkland Tileset

Postby HVMetal » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:05 am

Hello people!
This time I came up with a HUGE recolor.
This pack also contains some backgrounds and npcs.

Screenshot

Download link

http://www.mediafire.com/download/n2d2r ... ileset.zip

Credits: Dark grass and piranha plants based on SMB1 ones from Valtteri's GFX Pack Version 1.0.1
Dark pipes, bonus blocks, SMB1 blocks, spinies and backgrounds based on the vanilla graphics

I forgot to mention: If youre using this background2 then you shouldnt really play with fullscreen... idk what is the problem but I will fix it if I can.

GFX have been changed, Ground recolored, Mask on the piranha plants have been fixed and the plants pink leafs have been also recolored a little bit.
Last edited by HVMetal on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Current Project: TBA ;)

Re: Darkland Tileset

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:48 am

Man, you come up with such original recolors no one has ever thought of!
You should make a graphics pack, man! ;)

Love how that Venus Fire Trap's stem is pink, no really why is it pink?
Also, the masked for the Muncher like Piranha Plants, are a little bit broken.

Otherwise, nice design on the grass and pipes, they do seem to represent a dark level very well.
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Spoiler: show
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

HVMetal
Pokey
Pokey

Postby HVMetal » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:53 am

Ness-Wednesday wrote:Man, you come up with such original recolors no one has ever thought of!
You should make a graphics pack, man! ;)

Love how that Venus Fire Trap's stem is pink, no really why is it pink?
Also, the masked for the Muncher like Piranha Plants, are a little bit broken.

Otherwise, nice design on the grass and pipes, they do seem to represent a dark level very well.
Thanks you very much and here are the answers for your question:
First, yes I have a recolor pack which will have some custom gfx too.
The Venus Firetrap's leaf is pink because these gfx are based on a fangame called Mario Forever where the Fireplants leaf are pink.
Third, those arent munchers, they replace SMW spiny.
And for last, yes it represents a dark world ( Not the lavaworld ).

Mario Forever : All-Stars 3 - A massive collaboration project led by Looper. Might be worth to check out :v

PROX
Mouser
Mouser
Current Project: Super Mario Fantasy
Chat Username: PROX

Postby PROX » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:11 am

the color transition is very awkward between the grass and the fill. It looks like it clashes with itself. I think changing the fill into sepia and then adding a slight brownish hue should do the trick for the fill.
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

If it makes sense then it must make dollars

Youtube Channel: ProxyHax O.O

Please do not use my stuff until I release it. Thank you.

Collab Project I'm working on:

My Graphics Pack:

World Map Pack: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20173

superhammerbros100
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Hello fellow profile reader!
Current Project: Getting back to SMBX, I guess?

Postby superhammerbros100 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:23 pm

Even though
the Venus Firetrap's leaf is pink because these gfx are based on a fangame called Mario Forever where the Fireplants leaf are pink
you should really change the pink, Seriously, it does not fit at all.
I support:
ImageImage
sleepy had to betray us

HVMetal
Pokey
Pokey

Postby HVMetal » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:39 am

superhammerbros100 wrote:Even though
the Venus Firetrap's leaf is pink because these gfx are based on a fangame called Mario Forever where the Fireplants leaf are pink
you should really change the pink, Seriously, it does not fit at all.
I'll change it if I find it weird.

Mario Forever : All-Stars 3 - A massive collaboration project led by Looper. Might be worth to check out :v

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps
Current Project: A quirky lil episode
Chat Username: Augustus

Postby TLtimelord » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:30 pm

I'm going to follow the same logic as Enjl. You can't really give much constructive criticism on recolors considering everybody can make recolors.

Even then, the gray and darkish orange don't fit all that well, and as much as you want to fight it, the venus fire trap's pink color doesn't work with anything else because the other plants have gray colors and then out of nothing, the venus fire trap has pink colors.
And the mask on the nipper plant is off.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

HVMetal
Pokey
Pokey

Postby HVMetal » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:54 pm

TNTtimelord wrote:I'm going to follow the same logic as Enjl. You can't really give much constructive criticism on recolors considering everybody can make recolors.

Even then, the gray and darkish orange don't fit all that well, and as much as you want to fight it, the venus fire trap's pink color doesn't work with anything else because the other plants have gray colors and then out of nothing, the venus fire trap has pink colors.
Then Im going to follow my own logic and ignore this?
Maybe I will change the ground at the bottom but I'm not willing to change the Venus leafs.
And those arent nipper plants, those are SMW spinies.
If you cant give constructive critism to a recolor then what can you do?

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby TLtimelord » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:59 pm

HVMetal wrote:
TNTtimelord wrote:I'm going to follow the same logic as Enjl. You can't really give much constructive criticism on recolors considering everybody can make recolors.

Then Im going to follow my own logic and ignore this?
Maybe I will change the ground at the bottom but I'm not willing to change the Venus leafs.
And those arent nipper plants, those are SMW spinies.
If you cant give constructive critism to a recolor then what can you do?
I couldn't give much criticism.

Are you simply going to ignore the GENUINE advice I gave you to improve your graphics?

HVMetal
Pokey
Pokey

Postby HVMetal » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:09 pm

I'm not going to ignore it completely because, yes I find the bottom ground weird and I will fix it sooner or later.
I mentioned in a previous comment that the Venus pink leafs and the tileset are based on a game's GFX
Called Mario Forever, didnt I?
I have played that game a lot and thats why I dont find the leafs weird.
Even in the dark worlds there are Venus plants with pink leafs and they look good!
But at all, the mask is really off, I will fix that. Thanks

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Postby silent_ » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:36 pm

i still fail to see the point of uploading these individually, honestly.

who's actually going to use these? just think about it: even if you uploaded a recolor pack with 100 different recolors of the same tileset, i would doubt anybody would use ANY of the graphics in that pack, for a couple reasons.

the obvious reason is that anybody can do recolors, as tnt said

if you added something to each recolored tileset (for example--waaaay more blocks for the tileset/cool new NPCs to go along with the tileset/cool new BGOs to go along with the tileset/a cool new BG) than it would be different. but instead, you take 5 minutes (which, let's face it--if it took you more than 5 minutes to recolor this than you're recoloring wrong) and put it into the graphics section and claim it's a "huge recolor" (when it's absolutely tiny, actually, even if it's big in your eyes)

anyway, if you want some criticism, you shouldn't give the tileset and the bgos a dark tint if you're not going to give the npcs a dark tint; it looks weird imo. and then i agree with the criticism everyone above me gave.
HVMetal wrote:I'll change it if I find it weird.
...but how do you not think it's weird? do you really think a bright pink matches a darkland?? and, come on, if you're going to make that particular Piranha's stem pink, at least make the other Piranhas' stems pink.
previously known as Kep

HVMetal
Pokey
Pokey

Postby HVMetal » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:23 am

Kep wrote:i still fail to see the point of uploading these individually, honestly.

who's actually going to use these? just think about it: even if you uploaded a recolor pack with 100 different recolors of the same tileset, i would doubt anybody would use ANY of the graphics in that pack, for a couple reasons.

the obvious reason is that anybody can do recolors, as tnt said

if you added something to each recolored tileset (for example--waaaay more blocks for the tileset/cool new NPCs to go along with the tileset/cool new BGOs to go along with the tileset/a cool new BG) than it would be different. but instead, you take 5 minutes (which, let's face it--if it took you more than 5 minutes to recolor this than you're recoloring wrong) and put it into the graphics section and claim it's a "huge recolor" (when it's absolutely tiny, actually, even if it's big in your eyes)

anyway, if you want some criticism, you shouldn't give the tileset and the bgos a dark tint if you're not going to give the npcs a dark tint; it looks weird imo. and then i agree with the criticism everyone above me gave.
HVMetal wrote:I'll change it if I find it weird.
...but how do you not think it's weird? do you really think a bright pink matches a darkland?? and, come on, if you're going to make that particular Piranha's stem pink, at least make the other Piranhas' stems pink.
"Who's actually going to use these?" I bet some people will.
They can, but I dont think anybody tought of this, I'm sorry if somebody did.
I really want my work to be appreciated and if you start telling me that THE PINK LEAFS ARENT GOOD then I just ignore this because Im not just inventing these recolors but later I will.
What's the point of making all the Piranhas leaf pink? Because they would look good? Oh look they are all pink! Instead I made a Venus Fire Trap's leafs pink, at least when It comes out the pipe you can make difference. Npcs aren't dark? Wow. Shall I make everything black for you? Or the dark grey doesnt mach with it? Because it's a darkland it doesn't have to look like a graveyard! Everything black or the same color. Because people think that everything must be 100%? IT WILL NEVER BE 100% BECAUSE THERE WILL BE ALWAYS SOMEBODY WHO DOESNT LIKES SOMETHING.
If somebody wants to make an episode then the last world must be lava themed?
Who told you this? What's the use of the tileset? Not good for a World 8 ( or the last world ) or maybe for a haunted world ( This isnt something OMG, it's just simply classic but that doesnt mean its bad )
I still think that some people appreciate my work and that's enough for me.
Weird things? Yes I found the bottom ground weird and TNTtimelord told me the broken mask of the Plants.
Have a nice day!

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:32 am

yeah but i mean the pink just doesn't look good

like at all

they look like they wanted to go to a candy world but accidentally took the wrong pipe and landed at a goth parade and are now trying to fit in but are failing horribly

like black and pink is just no

and if you're afraid that people can't tell normal piranhas and venus fire plants apart that's probably your fault for not making them look different enough and just throwing really bright pink at it won't help
im a girl yo

HVMetal
Pokey
Pokey

Postby HVMetal » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:39 am

Spinda wrote:yeah but i mean the pink just doesn't look good

like at all

they look like they wanted to go to a candy world but accidentally took the wrong pipe and landed at a goth parade and are now trying to fit in but are failing horribly

like black and pink is just no

and if you're afraid that people can't tell normal piranhas and venus fire plants apart that's probably your fault for not making them look different enough and just throwing really bright pink at it won't help
( Link removed )
Shall it look like this?
Last edited by HVMetal on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

superhammerbros100
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Hello fellow profile reader!
Current Project: Getting back to SMBX, I guess?

Postby superhammerbros100 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:40 am

Spinda wrote:they look like they wanted to go to a candy world but accidentally took the wrong pipe and landed at a goth parade and are now trying to fit in but are failing horribly
that was the best theory ever

even though it's about a tileset and not a game

ANYWAYS,
I'm gonna use Sednaiur's SMB1 Darkland tileset, because i do not like the pink on the dark piranha plants.
(That brown on the tileset doesn't fit either, though, it would fit for chocolate land..?)
I support:
ImageImage
sleepy had to betray us

HVMetal
Pokey
Pokey

Postby HVMetal » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:43 am

superhammerbros100 wrote:
Spinda wrote:they look like they wanted to go to a candy world but accidentally took the wrong pipe and landed at a goth parade and are now trying to fit in but are failing horribly

ANYWAYS,
I'm gonna use Sednaiur's SMB1 Darkland tileset, because i do not like the pink on the dark piranha plants.
(That brown on the tileset doesn't fit either, though, it would fit for chocolate land..?)
Its about the tileset and not a game. I got inspired by that tileset and yeah, doesnt looks the same and thats why I asked you that! ( Also, there are your pink plants )
You can use anyones gfx I dont care but at least dont post it here!
Last edited by HVMetal on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby TLtimelord » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:45 pm

HVMetal wrote:

ANYWAYS,
Its about the tileset and not a game. I got inspired by that tileset and yeah, doesnt looks the same and thats why I asked you that! ( Also, there are your pink plants )
Do you want people to want to use these graphics or would you rather make your graphics as loyal as possible to a game so much that it's out of touch with what this community finds acceptable?

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:55 pm

I find it almost completely acceptable, though more contrast would be good.
I'd rather have the plant's stem not be pink, but that's easily fixed.
Jesus is my savior.

HVMetal
Pokey
Pokey

Postby HVMetal » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:22 am

TNTtimelord wrote:
HVMetal wrote:

ANYWAYS,
Do you want people to want to use these graphics or would you rather make your graphics as loyal as possible to a game so much that it's out of touch with what this community finds acceptable?
First: Since that game is my favorite Mario game I will stay loyal to it.
Dude, I needed an inspiration for these graphics, and the main reason for making them because I need them for my episode.
I uploaded on the forums because I tought people will like them. I dont really care of haters but who are trying to give at least a little constructive critism they are welcome.
I also recolored some stuff and I've uploaded a new screenshot, now it looks more like the original :)
What does the community really find acceptable? Candy world? Another episode with full of hammer suits and easy like ...?
Some people may like it and they are also the part of the community. If they deny this then it's not my problem, I can't make everything perfect.
And when people start showing me 100 reasons why its not good then I sometimes ignore it, but because we started this "war" I changed some stuff.
Have a nice day!

HVMetal
Pokey
Pokey

Postby HVMetal » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:22 am

HenryRichard wrote:I find it almost completely acceptable, though more contrast would be good.
I'd rather have the plant's stem not be pink, but that's easily fixed.
New screenshot uploaded, gfx changed. :)

Return to “Graphics”