Programming

Off-topic discussion.
Namyrr
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Programming

Postby Namyrr » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:43 pm

So, how many of you here are programmers? My hope is to one day be working as a programmer, to be making video games, whether it be indie or with a company.
And so, my question is this: Somewhere, somehow, I managed to obtain a Java book-pdf and a C++ book-pdf which specifically teaches how to think and code like a video game programmer.
Now here's my problem:
  • I'd much rather start in C#... though I lack any way of truly 'learning' and understanding it.
  • I don't have a C++ coding console, nor do I know where to get one.
  • I don't think I, as a beginner, would want to start in C++, would I?
What do I do?

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Re: Programming

Postby Pseudo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:29 am

I want to learn to code at some point in the near future. It seems to be an increasingly important skill in the world in general. I don't actually code now, though.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:31 am

Does LunaDLL count?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

FallingSnow
Ninji
Ninji

Postby FallingSnow » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:01 am

Seeing as I've only being working in python, I can't really offer any advice for you. I'm trying to keep it simple for now personally so that I can get my sprite-ing to a decent ability.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:39 am

C# is great, but I'm not sure how I can recommend it as a beginning language.

My first coding language experience ever was with HTML/CSS, and that's great if you want to know the importance/semantics of closing tags, setting values to different attributes, and basic stuff like that. I took a Java class (AP Computer Science) in high school when I was a sophomore, and that helped out with learning Java, which then translates well (at least in terms of syntax) to C#. Java has a wealth of development resources, but it's not a language I would choose to actually develop anything.

Personally, I learn better through physical books rather than doing it online.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:44 am

I'm learning to code in java at school. We did shit like Dynasis and Logo before.
Also, my uncle is trying to make video games with his friends. Will probably try to click myself in there somehow.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Raster
Banned

Postby Raster » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:10 am

If you know how code works then you might as well start with C++. If you need a good compiler, take a look at Visual Studio or Code::Blocks. I recommend Visual Studio for its incredible interface but you'll only be able to compile the code for Windows. To make your code multiplatform you need to port the code to another compiler and recompile it.

C# is good because it is so similar to Java I had no problems learning the syntax. I do like languages that can be read in English more, like Visual Basic and Ruby. If you want to start serious game developing you can either start learning C# + XNA (VB.NET works too, but there are few tutorials for it) or jump straight to C++. If you start with C++ and need a good game development library try Alegro. You can move on to DirectX and OpenGL later.

Karl Marx
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Karl Marx » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:06 pm

I'm learning Java right now ( taking the class joey took this year), and I would recommend starting with Java. It helps you start to think like a computer in terms of logic, and also takes care of many of things for you already, like data structures and memory management. It's nice to use it to get an inkling of what programming is like before you actually start coding

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:22 pm

What should I move on to after using SMBX, in programming?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

Spoiler: show
SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Namyrr
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Namyrr » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:58 pm

Uncle Sam wrote:I'm learning Java right now ( taking the class joey took this year), and I would recommend starting with Java. It helps you start to think like a computer in terms of logic, and also takes care of many of things for you already, like data structures and memory management. It's nice to use it to get an inkling of what programming is like before you actually start coding
I just took a semester-long beginner's Java Programmer class and passed it with ease, and I have plans on taking the AP class in a year or so.
However, just like Joey, I'm not interested in developing anything with Java in the future.
FanofSMBX wrote:What should I move on to after using SMBX, in programming?
If you're someone who knows basically nothing about programming, try Visual Basic or enrolling in a Computer Science class in high school.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy

Postby Aero » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:31 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:What should I move on to after using SMBX, in programming?
If I were you, I'd start with C or C# as they are both easier to learn than C++ and it makes it easier in the future to switch to other languages. But it really comes down to what you want to program, for example if you want to make games C# and C++ would be a good choice. As for me I started with VB.NET and have grown to be quite fluent in it, I started because I wanted to make games and "bcuz redigit uzed it lol."
Namyrr wrote:So, how many of you here are programmers? My hope is to one day be working as a programmer, to be making video games, whether it be indie or with a company.
And so, my question is this: Somewhere, somehow, I managed to obtain a Java book-pdf and a C++ book-pdf which specifically teaches how to think and code like a video game programmer.
Now here's my problem:
  • I'd much rather start in C#... though I lack any way of truly 'learning' and understanding it.
  • I don't have a C++ coding console, nor do I know where to get one.
What do I do?
I'd start with C# to get your feet wet with the C languages. If you work with it long enough, eventually you should be able to learn the ropes and teach yourself. If you can, find a book that deals with the basics. Since you want to make games, you'll mostly deal with graphics performance, and engine logic (at least that's what I normally deal with). You'd also want to be familiar with different frameworks such as .NET, XNA, and DirectX. This is kind of an over simplification, but it's the best I can do with the information given, and my own experience.

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:50 pm

What has SMBX taught me about programming?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:52 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:What has SMBX taught me about programming?
If you didn't program it, nothing.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Karl Marx
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Karl Marx » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:31 pm

The biggest thing you would probably have to worry about is the pseudocode, where you would write the code in some form of English before you write the code

For something as big as a game, that's what I would recommend, rather than starting writing some code. It's always better to know where you're going or how you're gonna write it

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Uncle Sam wrote:The biggest thing you would probably have to worry about is the pseudocode, where you would write the code in some form of English before you write the code

For something as big as a game, that's what I would recommend, rather than starting writing some code. It's always better to know where you're going or how you're gonna write it
That's what dropped me off on learning how to code. I can write up some really good ideas, but I can't throw them into coding format, and vice-versa.

On an off-topic note, if you ever need any graphic designers for any future games, you could consider me for the job, but if you're working on something regarding top-notch 3D or 1028x1028 textures, you might want to hire somebody else.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Raster
Banned

Postby Raster » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Emral wrote:
If you didn't program it, nothing.
Probably event-induced programming and conditional logic notions.

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Nothing. It taught you nothing regarding programming. There is nothing involved with programming that is involved with SMBX (unless you count LunaDLL). If you really want to step it up to the next level, either go learn actual coding, or go use RPG Maker, because it has a coding system and user-friendly interface like SMBX. I don't recommend using RPG Maker, but if you want something that is easy to use, go for it.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Raster
Banned

Postby Raster » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:50 pm

There is nothing involved with programming that is involved with SMBX
SMBX can teach you what events are and how to manage them. This is largely a part of Mathematics but I wouldn't call SMBX entirely useless when it comes to learning how to code. As for LunaDLL, that's not programming. It's something like scripting/modding.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy

Postby Aero » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:12 pm

Raster wrote:SMBX can teach you what events are and how to manage them. This is largely a part of Mathematics but I wouldn't call SMBX entirely useless when it comes to learning how to code.
I'm not sure what you mean here. I don't understand how events could really help teach anything related to programming. I guess it may be possible that it can be similar to calling different classes of data, but that's all I could think of.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:47 pm

I see what Raster means - at least, I can relate events and programming from my own experience. Toggling layers is the best example I can think of, especially when you have multiple layers that are supposed to exist separately (i.e. only one layer shown a time) with their objects existing in the same location. Most events entail "this makes this happen, but if the player does this then this can happen instead" - there aren't explicit conditionals, but rather implicit ones created by event triggers (like hitting a block).

Return to “Sandbox”