The pipes and site changes

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
Aero
Administrator

The pipes and site changes

Postby Aero » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:41 pm

Alright so I'm making this thread for some final input on site changes. The way I see it is the SMBX World + GFX + Links are redundant because they just link back to the forums, and the wiki is dead and will stay dead. We don't really need the pipes, and we might as well make the forums the main and only page for the site. There isn't much of a point to 2 pages that link back to here, 1 page that has links at the bottom of every forum page, and keeping a dead wiki. The content that was on the wiki still exists, but finding something to do with it just hasn't been a priority. Nothing would really be lost, but more compact essentially. There have been ideas pitched before for alternatives to what is featured on the pipe pages, so if we just get rid of them for now that doesn't mean that something else won't pop up eventually.

On another note I was looking at the home page because it needed to be updated, and I compared it to the main page for SMBX2 and concluded that maybe it would be best if it was scrapped too for now and something entirely different and more community centric can take its place. Personally I'd like to see it as a page with blog updates, newsletter snippets, and more artistic than what we have now which is an honestly inferior download page for SMBX2. I can convinced otherwise though, because there are a lot of other potential things that we can do.

And just as a reminder SMBX still exists off site and the original site had a videos page. I went through the archive and made them into a YouTube playlist. That could be a pipe that makes a come back, but maybe not the flash games and illegal mp3s lol. When it comes to new pipes use your imaginations, because we can probably find interesting solutions. Here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Q-r3Hfx66A

I'd like some input on this before any actions are taken. I already discussed this with the staff here and there seems to be agreement on this, and I'll work on getting the wiki content archived in some form if/when this stuff happens.

Novarender
Bit
Bit
Flair: Whoa

Re: The pipes and site changes

Postby Novarender » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:17 pm

Well, I agree with this. I think that the Worlds pipe is a decent way of showing off episodes, but if there is a better possibility, then I'm all for it. And the main page desperately needs updated, so I'm glad that's finally coming around.
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

Hagrid: "You're a wizard, Harry!"
Harry: "You're a hairy wizard!"

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multistage aerobic capacity test that progressively gets more difficult as it continues. The 20 meter pacer test will begin in 30 seconds. Line up at the start. The running speed starts slowly but gets faster each minute after you hear this signal bodeboop.

FYRENOVA IS A FAKE!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:52 am

I like that idea. Reminds me of forums like terraria and smwcentral that post news on their front page.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

computerfan0
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Bring the Wiki back!

Postby computerfan0 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:45 am

I don't think the wiki should stay dead. I really think there needs to be something describing the game and it's episodes and levels.
(GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
computerfan0's Backloggery
computerfan0 on Reddit
computerfan0 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 21125827641 8:11 pm
quoting myself, why

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:59 am

That could in fact also be a way to give more attention to the forums as most people downloading SMBX probably never glance over the forums. I also agree.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:17 am

Hm how I'd do it is this:

Home page - stays the same but is renamed to "Downloads". Reason I wouldn't scrap it is that not every newcomer knows about the SMBX2 site so there should still be a very obvious place to download it from this site. However, I would certainly swap the positioning of 1.3 and X2's sections of that page, since X2 really should be the first version people see there (reason I think a lot of newcomers use 1.3 is that it's the top download link on the home page).

Newsletter / blog page - to avoid cramping it on the home page turned downloads. This is just basically a page that contains all the newsletters (maybe just link them to the forum pages, maybe we can post the newsletters directly to that page though?) and blog posts. Having a pipe to these would increase number of viewers (since for example, currently the newsletter is in the General forums and tends to become hidden as other threads get bumped to the top).

Tutorials page - I think this would be pretty useful for newcomers. Quickly accessible at all times without having to search through the forums or Discord. As an example it could possibly link to all of Enjl's tutorial videos (the lua ones etc.) and the new SMBX2 Documentation site? Basically this pipe would be a list of tutorials. Could also give some general game / level design tutorials, e.g. 4-step level design videos.

Events page - Basically a quickfire rundown of current events and contests as well as a link to their respective discussion / rules threads in the forum. Maybe not needed if the Newsletter page would handle this well already, though. Could also have a link to level of the month thread?

Discord pipe - literally just an instant invite link to the SMBX Discord server. Just makes it much easier for people to find it for the first time. Essentially replaces the Links pipe.

Forums - you know the drill.

I think atleast some of these ideas are pretty useful especially for newcomers (download, tutorials and discord pages). Newsletter / blog page would be extremely useful in the long term. Not too sure on the events page in the case of a newsletter page being added though it might be useful.

Hope these ideas are somewhat useful in other's opinions. I'll probably make a mockup later on of what some of these pages could actually look like.
The one thing is that I'm not sure how much customisation there is over the pages in this site (though I guess it just uses html rather than php).

Thoughts? Are some of these completely pointless, or would they be of use to atleast some people?
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:11 pm

Just gonna drop these here after that complicated idea:
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php
https://www.smwcentral.net/

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Hatsune Blake
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Hatsune Blake » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:28 pm

I 100% agree with this entire post, I'm fine with these changes moving forward.
Check out my custom GFX pack!

Please check out my levels!
The logo above was made by FyreNova.

Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Murphmario » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:50 pm

computerfan0 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:45 am
I don't think the wiki should stay dead. I really think there needs to be something describing the game and it's episodes and levels.
This. One could be set up on another site if that's alright.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(

Postby Chanceux2 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:33 pm

Yeah Updating the main page would be a good idea. :D
Last edited by Chanceux2 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: I've defeated humor

Postby Sancles-Chan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:51 pm

I thought this was gonna be about fixing the cutoff and got scared that you'd actually do something as horrible as that
She/Her
ImageImageImageImageImage

Idunn
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Robotic

Postby Idunn » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:23 am

Chanceux2 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:33 pm
Update the main page? Yes do it. The Episodes are good but the problem is there so old and stupid probably everyone is the entire world will be thinking "update the main page now!
Can you stop? They are still okay to play but not stupid Jesus.

I do like the change that you are planning for this, after all neither the gfx or world pipes have gotten any updates in like 2 years.

About the wiki, I guess there are people who don’t want it dead but then again nobody really got the time to write anything on there. Plus there would be a lot of abuse probably from other people who then outright edit or even delete the article.

The other ideas are good, but I don’t see much future for a wiki that has been dead for long.
Please do not use any assets made for my Project! I will bring you to court if you do!

Kyasarin and Luminous were right all along!

My Project:
Projects that have my support:

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:37 am

Enjl wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:11 pm
Idk, while it might be easier to keep everything in one page, it might end up feeling a little cluttered in there with so many different things going on (contest news, lotm, newsletter, etc.).
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:55 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:37 am
Enjl wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:11 pm
Idk, while it might be easier to keep everything in one page, it might end up feeling a little cluttered in there with so many different things going on (contest news, lotm, newsletter, etc.).
Those communities are much larger than ours and never have too many things going on for it to become overwhelming. Your suggestion would result in people having to navigate to like 3 different pages to be caught up with all the news, which is tedious.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:05 pm

Hm, fair. Didn't really think of that aspect, so yeah I do agree with the idea of having it all on one page.
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Aero
Administrator

Postby Aero » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:03 pm

Alright I let Quill know about this, so sometime soon the other pages should redirect here and the pipes should be gone. Right now for the home page I think the SMBX2 trailer + the blog RSS + an ATOM feed for the newsletter would be sufficient for its return with new pipe pages. I'd like to do a bit more than that and have a more creative page, but with that as the core content it should be fine and would always be up to date.

Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(

Postby Chanceux2 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:40 pm

Thats great! For once the main page will be up-to-date than just 2018 stuff

cato
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression

Postby cato » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:39 am

Should there be a side bar that scrolls like the pipe so that users don't have to scroll up and click the pipes?
Freedom, Human Rights, Fairness, Democracy, Rule of Law, Righteousness, Courageness, Human Nature, Conscience, Goodwill, Ethics, Beliefs, Hope.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:38 pm

Actually I'd suggest a layout in the form of

-> SMBX2 trailer / download
-> Newsletter
-> Link to forums
-> Link to Chat

and maaaybe think of some kind of replacement for the outdated Featured Episodes? A collection of memorable episodes with descriptions of what they are like and what skill of play they're suited for? so new players have some basic lookout over famed episodes?

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:04 am

So what exactly changed in the meantime (if anything)?

Return to “Site Discussion”