New users.

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
Yoe she
Banned
Flair: I haven’t played smbx for 3 years....

New users.

Postby Yoe she » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:53 am

Is it just me or is new users here are ignored a lot by older members.
planned project.

DrMekar
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Flair: CUSTOM CHARACTER CREATOR

Re: New users.

Postby DrMekar » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:46 am

Yoe she wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:53 am
Do you refer to the "our newest Member" Thing at the Bottom of the Page?
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-8fzX ... subscriber

My Episodes & Projects:
ImageImage

If you want to support my Projects, put this in your signature. Thanks :)
Spoiler: show

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25110[/url]
Great Folks who support/ed my projects/in the past:

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 GM

cato
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression

Postby cato » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:28 am

Yoe she wrote:
Is it just me or are new users here are ignored a lot by older members.
To say the least, new users are kinda inexperienced in the forums and starting new.
Unless they made some contributions, opinions, or their own episode projects, no one would really care much about them.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:07 am

Yoe she wrote:

No. It depends on how new users act, if they make posts at all.

So far I observed a couple of short-lived, one- or few-post memberships:
  • makes a bad thread in episodes / projects. Thread gets deleted. Person never shows up again.
  • makes a generic like comment somewhere and never shows up again.
  • makes a help question or request of any kind. The request is noticed and resolved, but the person just leaves it at that and never releases the level / project / etc. which they made their request for.
More importantly though, many "new users" are kids, and act very poorly (informal lower case and lack of grammar, unnecessary emoji usage, angry caps ...). I'd say it's not just because they may not be native english speakers, even Google Translate doesn't tell you to write like that. I'd say these users don't pay respect to the forums if they don't care about its rules, and it's no way proper way to socialize. (as a note, you don't get ignored just because you have a slightly imperfect English)

All you need to do is look around how things work, talk, behave properly, stick around, join some Discord servers also, and you'll find enough audience and friends. But that's what the fewest of all new members do.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Yoe she
Banned

Postby Yoe she » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:13 am

cato wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:28 am
Yoe she wrote:
Is it just me or are new users here are ignored a lot by older members.
To say the least, new users are kinda inexperienced in the forums and starting new.
Unless they made some contributions, opinions, or their own episode projects, no one would really care much about them.
I’ve seen some new members that made pretty great levels lately and not your stereotypical clashy,cutoff level filled with enemy spam you usually see from new users.

Added in 2 minutes :
Cedur wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:07 am
Yoe she wrote:

No. It depends on how new users act, if they make posts at all.

So far I observed a couple of short-lived, one- or few-post memberships:
  • makes a bad thread in episodes / projects. Thread gets deleted. Person never shows up again.
  • makes a generic like comment somewhere and never shows up again.
  • makes a help question or request of any kind. The request is noticed and resolved, but the person just leaves it at that and never releases the level / project / etc. which they made their request for.
More importantly though, many "new users" are kids, and act very poorly (informal lower case and lack of grammar, unnecessary emoji usage, angry caps ...). I'd say it's not just because they may not be native english speakers, even Google Translate doesn't tell you to write like that. I'd say these users don't pay respect to the forums if they don't care about its rules, and it's no way proper way to socialize. (as a note, you don't get ignored just because you have a slightly imperfect English)

All you need to do is look around how things work, talk, behave properly, stick around, join some Discord servers also, and you'll find enough audience and friends. But that's what the fewest of all new members do.
I guess I can agree with this. Mostly with the "kids" part.

Stares at SuperSmashBrosfanX....
planned project.

cato
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby cato » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:18 am

Removed due to mistake.
Last edited by cato on Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yoe she
Banned

Postby Yoe she » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:17 am

cato wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:18 am
Yoe she wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:15 am
I’ve seen some new members that made pretty great levels lately and not your stereotypical clashy, cutoff level filled with enemy spam you usually see from new users.
I consider this is highly offensive, despite the fact that the comments are actually made by the judges.

I think you are talking about my Vanilla contest entry, the level that I can only use Vanilla content from SMBX.
Sure, that level sucks because:
1: I can't make it more detailed due to how much blocks are being used ( even when used sizable to fill up spaces ).
2: I don't have much idea on how to execute the level despite making good levels for my episode due to limited content that I was supposed to use.
3: The boss is just projectile spam, instead of just an ordinary SMB3 Bowser vs Bombs.
4: I used too much Touhou and JoJo reference that made me cringe.

But, that doesn't mean the level is that bad. Compared to most others, who receive single-digit points, I came to 11th place and I am fine with that. The "cut-off" is a detail to imply that the level is corrupted. The level has been tested several times that occasionally I have to remove NPCs manually because I think some placements are unfair. Level being stereotypical isn't that bad, considering I need an outstanding level instead of a decent level you see in Invasion 2. Maybe play that level yourself, instead of relying on the comment made by the judges. Everyone has different taste in what actually makes a good level.

I joined the forum and became a user 2 years ago. When you compare the level showcase made in 2 years ago and the levels that I posted on my level thread and the newer level showcase, you would really see a big difference. One is that the levels are removed and expanded, one is that the levels generally have gimmicks and themes.

If there is any advice I would give to new users, don't judge the book by its cover, and certainly don't judge the story by the first chapter without context.
Now you mention it, should I play your levels and give you some comments.
Aaaaand I do not know what the hell you are talking about at all. I wasn’t specifically targeting you or calling anyone out. I just said that some new users created pretty great levels on there first try and not the usually bad levels that new inexperienced users get a rep for. This just came straight out of the blue. Never did I mention your contest entry or vanilla levels.

Seriously Wtf was this all about? Did you just misread my comment? I wasn’t talking about you at all nor was I trying to offend anybody.
planned project.

cato
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby cato » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:35 am

Yoe she wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:17 am
Aaaaand I do not know what the hell you are talking about at all. I wasn’t specifically targeting you or calling anyone out. I just said that some new users created pretty great levels on there first try and not the usually bad levels that new inexperienced users get a rep for. This just came straight out of the blue. Never did I mention your contest entry or vanilla levels.

Seriously Wtf was this all about? Did you just misread my comment? I wasn’t talking about you at all nor was I trying to offend anybody.
Oh crap, I am sorry.
I thought you were saying "my stereotype level" instead of "my implication of stereotype level maker".
I will delete the last post.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:01 am

If there's a great level but it's not presented well, i.e. if it's still the common thread post which is just made in the way of "level title, one screenshot + download, bye", then it will most likely also not be noticed.

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

thegameseum
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: non binary (they, them)

Postby thegameseum » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:58 pm

Some users are ignored because they either only have a couple of posts, or haven't posted at all. Whether or not they're new doesn't really affect it.
Image Image
walker guy

I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

(GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

I support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:53 am

Having little posts still makes you a "new user" even if you already lurked for long. However, as I said, it matters what you post and how much initiative you show at posting.

SBells27
Rex
Rex
Flair: Working on a new project right now.

Postby SBells27 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:02 am

I guess the problem was one that I already mentioned in a post that I previously made days ago. New members making episodes that don't get much talk or attention.

In many ways, I do agree that people need to contribute and to start making themselves visible to the community in order for them to get attention. Users with very little posts and that haven't really done much is understandable. Either way, I do hope the best for new members to get their chance to shine among the community :D
SMBX YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJbYuy ... _z3srbCohQ
Join my Discord Server: https://discord.gg/xjbqCCj (General, smbx-related and my SM100 series disccussion)
Latest Bells's Episode: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25034

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:46 pm

As a matter of fact the userbase is visibly thinner than in the 2014 / 2015 days which is also why only a low amount of people feels dedicated to check out new levels and episodes and take the time for that.

chuckster
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: formerly the socially naive idiot theloaflord

Postby chuckster » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:32 pm

its because they're unknown and therefore haven't built themselves a reputation. older and active users talk amongst themselves because they've gotten the chance to know these people across the forums and the discord.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:34 am

SBells27 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:02 am
New members making episodes that don't get much talk or attention.
Just speaking for myself here, but I can more easily commit myself to 10-minute playing sessions of individual levels than several-hour (or several half-hour-long) playing sessions of episodes. SMBX always loses to more-enjoyable-to-control games for me when it comes to things that will take several play sessions (even if the other game isn't comparable in content or I've already played it a lot). SMM2, Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Crosscode, Smash Bros... The only case in which I can commit myself to playing more than a single level is when I know the creator is gonna deliver with a great experience. So as soon as even a new user has posted a single level, the "new" part completely drops from the equation. MrCaves joined the community last year with fantastic levels to show, and they're currently at the top of my "would play a level pack by this person" list.
So if people don't play new users' episodes it' more likely because the levels are bad and not because they're new. They should consider making standalone levels instead so it's less daunting of a commitment (1) for people to play and give feedback on (2) for the creator to consider and implement the received suggestions in future work.

Now, this might just be me being weird, of course. Because I don't really fulfill the criteria of "knowing and talking to other community members" mentioned in the previous post.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Hammerless Penguin
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: Just kicking that kirby to the curb!

Postby Hammerless Penguin » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:53 pm

Personally I prefer complete episodes over a single level. Why have a single good level to enjoy when you can have an entire episode of them. But then again episodes take a lot of time to complete and requires a lot of effort put into it, but it’s completely worth it once it’s finished and you can enjoy playing it. It feels more rewarding creating and beating a level in an episode than beating a single level that basically has no point since there is nothing after it. These are just my overall thoughts Though.
Check out this big neat project coming soon to smbx2 beta4!

Switch FC: SW-8458-1591-5797

Teemster2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Teemster2 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:58 am

I'm working 6 days a week sometimes 12 hours so I have been busy. Not everyone has the time to respond to every post and the user base is not what it used to be.

Just be patient and don't give up. Smbx is a great game.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(

Postby Chanceux2 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:55 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:58 am
I'm working 6 days a week sometimes 12 hours so I have been busy. Not everyone has the time to respond to every post and the user base is not what it used to be.

Im a new user and I get ignored... Yeah because of my "Super Toad Bros. X preview" topic and no one post things on my newer project for Super Toad Bros. X. Im completely lonely here. help.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:26 am

Chanceux2 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:55 pm
Im a new user and I get ignored... Yeah because of my "Super Toad Bros. X preview" topic and no one post things on my newer project for Super Toad Bros. X. Im completely lonely here. help.

Two reasons:
  • You're nine years old. At least you're not breaking any rules and you don't make immature posts as of now, but still, your expression is a bit deficient.
  • From your screenshots, it's evident that your levels are really bland.
Take a look at your recent thread in Site Discussion. Not only did you make a totally unintelligible thread that noone can do anything with, but you also sorta realized it yourself and added a comical "wow I hate myself for this post" when you could just have deleted it.
I have literally no idea what you're trying to get at with this "question". Logging into your account gives you access to all "account stuff" (user control panel, PMs) anyway? I deliberately didn't make a reply here so you can still delete it as long as nobody replies.

Teemster2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Teemster2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:39 pm

Chanceux2 wrote:
Teemster2 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:58 am

Honestly I look at many episodes and see the same thing with a lot of them. Same story line about someone being kidnapped or a kingdom needing saved. Easy world 1 levels with way to many power ups and rompyness (left to right levels with little challenge aka speedruns) and then the person suffers from burn out, loss of interest or lack of ideas and leaves.

Creating an episode is hard. I talk about it all the time but have yet to make much progress on mine. Now that spring is hear I find myself wanting to be outside more.

My point is you need to be patient and just work on it in your own time. You will get burn out if you try to hard or have the pressure of constantly posting updates here. I will look at your post and give you my oppinion but I'm far from an expert.

Also if you need level ideas check out MM on YouTube. I love watching Ryukahr. He has amazing video play and lots of levels to watch for ideas.

Added in 3 minutes 21 seconds:
Cedur wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:26 am
Chanceux2 wrote:

Two reasons:
  • You're nine years old. At least you're not breaking any rules and you don't make immature posts as of now, but still, your expression is a bit deficient.
  • From your screenshots, it's evident that your levels are really bland.
Take a look at your recent thread in Site Discussion. Not only did you make a totally unintelligible thread that noone can do anything with, but you also sorta realized it yourself and added a comical "wow I hate myself for this post" when you could just have deleted it.
I have literally no idea what you're trying to get at with this "question". Logging into your account gives you access to all "account stuff" (user control panel, PMs) anyway? I deliberately didn't make a reply here so you can still delete it as long as nobody replies.
Wish I had seen this post sooner. I agree with this.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Return to “Site Discussion”