SMBX Site Q&A

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Re: SMBX Site Q&A

Postby Aero » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:23 pm

No it's fine. I think something is going to have to be done so that forum is easier to maintain, but for now it's just there to try out like in the other support forums.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:16 am

So yeah, I was having both a soul searching thinking period about comics based off the SMBX community/forums AND a brainstorming session for my upcoming community/forums-based comics (In manga style to be specific). And I really begin to wonder if we the community members (both the veteran group and newbie group members) would see these SMBX community/forums comics* returning to the community one day? I would also love to see more community based comics (Both new and old ones) in the future.

*I meant some of the unfinished comics, such as for example:
  • Kley's SMBXbound

I know that there won't be more "The Adventures of Knux" comics anymore, since the series was ended way long ago, way before I joined the community.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:37 pm

Aero wrote:Unfortunately this broke compatibility with the post merging extension so that is no longer available.

Is this gonna be fixed eventually? Without the mod, reports for double-posts will become a lot more frequent again.
Will the subforum directories also be fixed?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:47 pm

The extension hasn't been kept up to date. If it gets updated then yes it can be fixed. The forum breadcrumbs are also being worked on.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:36 pm

Edit avatar

The submitted avatar is 200 pixels wide and 200 pixels high. Avatars must be at least 20 pixels wide and 20 pixels high, but no larger than 125 pixels wide and 125 pixels high.

Current image:
Maximum dimensions; width: 125 pixels, height: 125 pixels, file size: 256.00 KiB.
When did the avatar restrictions shrink? My current Avatar is 200x200 and I think there must have been a change due to it not showing up anymore. (I just tried switching my avatars again which is rare for me to see if it was deleted or something.) Even Cedur's avatar still works (which is 200x188). Just seems odd to keep shrinking the size limit.

ImageImageImage

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:35 am

That was changed a while ago and it doesn't apply to existing avatars. Your avatar wasn't deleted by the minimum.

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: I've defeated humor

Postby Sancles-Chan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:15 pm

could it at least be changed to 128x128? that's usually my go-to which works on everything and generally looks nice.

I'd rather not have to resize like every avatar picture I have on my PC just because of like 3 pixels
I go by She/Her for everyone.

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:31 pm

Sancles-Chan wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:15 pm
could it at least be changed to 128x128? that's usually my go-to which works on everything and generally looks nice.

I'd rather not have to resize like every avatar picture I have on my PC just because of like 3 pixels
Sure, but this is going to be the max. In the past it was set to whatever size an admin wanted for their profile and that's how we got some people with huge avatars, so I don't want to gradually increase it again. 128x128 will be where it stays.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:23 am

Why do some emojis appear in monstrous size when they're posted in BBcode as images? After I disabled emoji display altogether, they appear as normal-sized emojis. (example)

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

Chanceux2
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(
Current Project: Super Toad Bros. X
Chat Username: Gamer of Studios

How do I change my username?

Postby Chanceux2 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:04 pm

I might do that because I used this username for many things. So I wanna change it. But how exactly?

Aero
Palom
Palom

Re: How do I change my username?

Postby Aero » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:18 pm

Chanceux2 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:04 pm
I might do that because I used this username for many things. So I wanna change it. But how exactly?
You need to PM an admin with the name you want to have.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:39 am

What happened to the pink Rule boxes? They're gone, and it wasn't mentioned in the Forum Updates thread (if it's related to the temporary downtime of post merger etc)

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:42 pm

I got rid of them. They weren't worth a post in that announcement. People were scrolling right past them so they weren't serving their intent.

Chanceux2
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(
Current Project: Super Toad Bros. X
Chat Username: Gamer of Studios

Postby Chanceux2 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:17 pm

Cedur wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:39 am
What happened to the pink Rule boxes? They're gone, and it wasn't mentioned in the Forum Updates thread (if it's related to the temporary downtime of post merger etc)
Oh! I just noticed

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:38 am

well that's too bad, at least new members had no excuse when they were "flying over them" while they were instantly visible when you post a new thread

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:49 pm

I'm not sure if it's possible to do this on a forum
But if I was the one to implement that pink rule box, I would have instead made it a pop-up when the user presses Submit on their post. That way, the user would have definitely seen it before posting as you can't exactly scroll past a pop-up. Maybe impractical but I feel this would have done a better job than just a box at the top of the page.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:54 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:49 pm
But if I was the one to implement that pink rule box, I would have instead made it a pop-up when the user presses Submit on their post. That way, the user would have definitely seen it before posting as you can't exactly scroll past a pop-up. Maybe impractical but I feel this would have done a better job than just a box at the top of the page.
Sounds like a great way to get everyone to hate posting.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Is something like an image slideshow a feasible feature to add to the forum? I'm thinking it might be a cool way to group a set of images together (like in the case of projects, or having images of multiple projects in one post (newsletter idea that was just posted in General).
I've taken a quick look around and am not... 100% sure how any of this works, so I'll just share what I've seen about.
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1929915 This appears to be a solution in phpbb, though the posts are all from 2012 so I don't know how relevant it still is. I'm also unsure if this allows for any sort of slideshow definition outside of the attached images section (which is how I think they were used in the example linked in the thread). It does look fairly nice, though.
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=19720 SMWcentral has the style I was originally looking for, where only one image is displayed at a time, but they can all be easily switched through. I couldn't find a solution like this for phpbb though, with the closest thing being this post https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... pic/110902 (links to a solution which I don't know if it is phpbb-compatible).

Like I said, not sure how complicated any of this is... I recall writing a slideshow for my website in the past, but that was all in js and the code is probably not very flexible. Please lemme know if this is a good idea at all or if it's more trouble than it's worth.
The ABC of Creation

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:33 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Agree with Enjl. This should definitley be optional past making the first post (after it has been approved and you get put in the regular users group), otherwise posting will become an upleasant experience if the user is forced to see the rules everytime they attempt to post.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:21 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
That's not going to happen. Pop ups are terrible. The rules box wasn't even needed after the new sign up requirement was added anyway since it directs new members to the forum rules, and they have to read through them to sign up similar to the way chat works.
Enjl wrote: Is something like an image slideshow a feasible feature to add to the forum? I'm thinking it might be a cool way to group a set of images together (like in the case of projects, or having images of multiple projects in one post (newsletter idea that was just posted in General).
I've taken a quick look around and am not... 100% sure how any of this works, so I'll just share what I've seen about.
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1929915 This appears to be a solution in phpbb, though the posts are all from 2012 so I don't know how relevant it still is. I'm also unsure if this allows for any sort of slideshow definition outside of the attached images section (which is how I think they were used in the example linked in the thread). It does look fairly nice, though.
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=19720 SMWcentral has the style I was originally looking for, where only one image is displayed at a time, but they can all be easily switched through. I couldn't find a solution like this for phpbb though, with the closest thing being this post https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... pic/110902 (links to a solution which I don't know if it is phpbb-compatible).

Like I said, not sure how complicated any of this is... I recall writing a slideshow for my website in the past, but that was all in js and the code is probably not very flexible. Please lemme know if this is a good idea at all or if it's more trouble than it's worth.
None of these are applicable to the forum software. 3.0.* used a MOD system and from 3.1.* on extensions have taken their place. We're on 3.3.* so any extensions written for previous versions may not work as intended. I think just making a BBCode for Imgur albums would accomplish what you're looking for though?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:16 am

Aero wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:21 pm
None of these are applicable to the forum software. 3.0.* used a MOD system and from 3.1.* on extensions have taken their place. We're on 3.3.* so any extensions written for previous versions may not work as intended. I think just making a BBCode for Imgur albums would accomplish what you're looking for though?
Ahh I see. Thanks for the explanation.
I think a bbcode for imgur albums would be good. Do you have any screenshots of how that'd look like?
The ABC of Creation

Return to “Site Discussion”