SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [MAGLX Judge Favorite]

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [Draft 3 Complete - Leave Feedback Below and Team]

Postby Eclipsed » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:17 pm

All Stars Level Contest - We have not finished this part but narrowed it down to 3 that may or may not be included. We still need to try these levels for ourselves
- Granite Mountains by Darkonius Makavar
- HEAT by 7NameSam
- Zenith Weapon Works by Qunatumenance.

We still need to see if these levels should stay or not
- Also, winning level for ASLC was not included because the author implies they don't really like that level that much
- This is also the case for the community choice winner
- The rest of the levels had some jank issues, felt like tech demos, or just don't hold up as much to other levels on this list from other contests

Added in 4 minutes 50 seconds:
Tower of Biased 7 was approved by the third person

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [One Second Has Passed - Unreleased Level Footage]

Postby Eclipsed » Fri May 08, 2020 12:10 pm

Here's footage on an unreleased level:

Also, I removed Underground Mole King's Fort since it's probably better to keep levels in their original state aside from quality of life fixes.
Furthermore, I removed Gravitational Heaviness since I was iffy on it and the creator says that the level also does not hold up today.

I'll also be removing dissapointment also since it feels like a tech-demoish level that just exists instead of exploring its concepts super thoroughly.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [I found a new contest]

Postby Eclipsed » Sun May 17, 2020 1:36 am

i found a new contest: i found the rpgmaker community smbx contest, im adding that to pending contests

Also: note if file size becomes a consideration the automatic levels will most likely go.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [I played the new contest]

Postby Eclipsed » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:46 pm

I played the new contest that I have not seen before and judging by the quality of the levels, none of them would probably make it into this epsiode.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [I played the new contest]

Postby Cedur » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:37 pm

How many levels are considered in as of now?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [Draft 4]

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:28 am

Cedur wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:37 pm
How many levels are considered in as of now?
There are 0 levels considered a lock for now. The selection process was always to start with a large pool of levels and then continue narrowing down with feedback both from the level designers I'm talking to and overall community reception. A project like this requires it to have a mindset of 0 levels are locked in until the very end.

Also, PROX has offered to help me with viewing some of the normal levels. So we now have 4 judges for this episode compilation. Other than that, I have finished Draft 4 today and selected levels from Community Contest 12 with PROX. Need to verify with the other judges though.

Rinkas;Toad Stories by FrozenQuills
Sherbet Skywaves by Chad

In another note:
I have removed Violent Grotto from PixelPest's Kaizo contest due to logistical reasons. I cannot find the missing music at all for this level and the author of it has no point of contact. Moreover, this level seems like that you could already find it in a variety of SMW romhacks and not offer something super new as a kaizo level. Also, it's fine if we downsize 7 kaizo levels to 6 kaizo levels. I personally like this level though.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [Draft 5 + Discord and Team]

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:50 am

I have just finished draft 5 of this and I have added you are now a stopwatch and Proud Sky(as an exceptional exception to the no joke levels rule).

Remember, none of the levels are approved for this so far. The way it's going to work is that all of the levels need a unanimous approval from the 4 reviewers. Then, all of the approved levels will be subject to community feedback. They currently are but that's the next step in the process.

Also, I added the team members and the discord link on the first post.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [Draft 6 - SNAPAN and MASL]

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

There are no levels from MASL that would put in consideration for this project. The only level from there that had actual setups was one from Pyro. However, it doesn't really get into the main gimmick of the level until the second half. And it also has a dumb secret exit where you have to play over half of the level and hit an invisible block.

From, SNAPAN, there's one level, I'm not entirely sure about so I'm giving it a yellow right now on the sheet from me. It's google by Sedron. My main issue with the level is that a lot of the sections just kind of suddenly end. However, each of the mini portions is really well thought out, so I guess I'll just put it in consideration for right now, and probably need to see a good reason on why that level could be there.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [Draft 7 - MAGLX2]

Postby Eclipsed » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:42 am

Here are the MAGLX2 levels. Note, this does not include any postgame levels yet since I haven't gotten around to them
In essence, this is basically what's already in contest greatest hits with the exception of 4th place being removed.

The Notion Thief
It's a fish, silly
Championship Boxing
This is Joe land were going to encounter all the Joes Alright so happy-I guess
My Handling of Birdo in the Huge Skies is Simply Art. You just dont get it
Well Shucks I Never Expected Sub Zero to Be So Rebellious
Paradise Earned

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [Draft 7 - MAGLX2] - Kaizo Level Footage

Postby Eclipsed » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:43 pm

Here's a video of beating Lava and Lava Accessories

However, this level is removed from the list as it is too disjointed and after playing it, it's designed in a way that makes you not want to play it again whereas the other levels I could easily seeing myself attempting another time. Also Google from sedron has also been removed.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [Draft 8 - AVLC Update]

Postby Eclipsed » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:14 pm

Autumn Vanilla Level Contest
Flurry Frenzy by MrCaves
Dimension Windows by litchh
Futuristic Sand Station by Shinbison
Mouser's Mansion by Stipkip
Fuzzy in My Forest by Airship

Also No Escape from that Double Vision is added to MAGLX2

These require 4 unanimous votes to be approved. So far 0 levels are included in the episode.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:59 am

Is Dimension Windows really that good? I once argued that I couldn't finish this level as well, hitboxes were too tight in several spots, and Enjl backed me up on that.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:17 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:59 am
Is Dimension Windows really that good? I once argued that I couldn't finish this level as well, hitboxes were too tight in several spots, and Enjl backed me up on that.
Here's the footage of it in full:
https://youtu.be/tZ0HI72OST4?t=7477
Only the final room took me more than 5 attempts, but a thing I was going to do was adding an assist mode you can activate for any levels above a 5/10 difficulty. For example, it would either be allowing a smaller hitbox for the easier levels such as Pause or this level in the 6-10 range or just TAS for any kaizo levels. And besides the level will only go through if it has an unanimous vote, and then a general consensus from the community, so if it does have a lot of problems it's likely that it won't. Since I believe the best approach is starting for a larger scale of levels and downsizing from it to make sure that no levels that might make it in are accidentally left behind. Another thing is that you're not supposed to jump over the windows that are moving only vertically.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [Thread Update]

Postby Eclipsed » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:45 am

I decided to remove all of the levels listed on this post and moved them to the progress sheet to make the first post easier to navigate

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Contest Greatest Hits Spiritual Update [Level Removal]

Postby Eclipsed » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:09 pm

5th place of MAGLX2 has been removed upon further consideration and due to community feedback. After the midpoint, the level just kind of randomly ends and it has another secret part in the second half that doesn't gel well with the rest of the level.

Return to “Projects”