Mario's Big Journey

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
tangeruse
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:32 pm
Flair: https://mspfa.com/?s=28789

Mario's Big Journey

Postby tangeruse » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:34 am

Mario's Big Journey
by tangy

A simple and easy SMBX episode for 2.0 Beta 4 with rather short, simple levels!

SYNOPSIS

Mario and Bowser have decided to make vacation plans on the very same archipelago, on the very same day! As Mario, or as Luigi if you prefer, show Bowser who's boss by laying ruin to his trip!

WORLDS

WORLD 1 - Sand and Sea - 11 / 11
WORLD 2 - Heights and Trees - 9 / 9
WORLD 3 - Caves and Abyss - 10 / 10
WORLD 4 - Temple and Oasis - 9 / 9
WORLD 5 - Sky and Comfort - 10 / 10
WORLD 6 - Suburb and Road - 11 / 11
WORLD 7 - Mechanics and Industry - 3 / 11
WORLD 8 - Glacier and Frost - 2 / 10
WORLD 9 - Flames and Finality - 1.5 / 14
WORLD 10 - Postgame World - 0 / 9

SCREENSHOTS

WORLD MAP
Spoiler: show
Image
WORLD 1
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
WORLD 2
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
WORLD 3
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
WORLD 4
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
WORLD 5
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

----

Download the playable demo.
Mario's Big Journey
0.1 - WORLD 4 DEMO

- Google drive mirror-

----
SPECIAL THANKS
Bionic_Dog
ZHL
BrokenAce255
Squishy Rex
Brian Lee
reghrhre
Last edited by tangeruse on Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 15 times in total.

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6102
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Contact:

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:55 am

tangeruse wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:34 am
SYNOPSIS

Mario and Bowser have decided to make vacation plans on the very same archipelago, on the very same day! As Mario, or as Luigi if you prefer, show Bowser who's boss by laying ruin to his trip!
I think I'm the ONLY guy in the SMBX community who thinks the plot of this episode is GENIUS!!!!!! No really, i like the plot of this episode! ^_^"
Custom mega drive playable sprites
Mario RPG goals (62% completed)
My Pixiv
Best Quotes: show
Danny wrote:
Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:49 pm
No creativeness.

Never released an episode anyway.

Never plan to right now, but maybe in the future.
Idunn wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:26 am
That’s how evolution works, nothing disturbing about it.
I'm autistic & have ADHD

Grand Goomba
Rex
Rex
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby Grand Goomba » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:00 pm

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
tangeruse wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:34 am
SYNOPSIS

Mario and Bowser have decided to make vacation plans on the very same archipelago, on the very same day! As Mario, or as Luigi if you prefer, show Bowser who's boss by laying ruin to his trip!
I think I'm the ONLY guy in the SMBX community who thinks the plot of this episode is GENIUS!!!!!! No really, i like the plot of this episode! ^_^"
Me too. :D
Image
Image

User avatar
goSciu
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 am
Flair: GIMP Master
Contact:

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby goSciu » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:14 am

Ooooooh, I like it. Interesting story, promising screenshots, a lot of progress made so far. I'm looking up for this.
Just a nice guy.

Current project:
Not gonna reveal yet.
I support:
Image
Image

My nickname is read "gos-chyoo" (IPA - 'ɡɔst͡ɕu) and translates into guy (gUy when stylized)

tangeruse
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:32 pm
Flair: https://mspfa.com/?s=28789

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby tangeruse » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:44 pm

Hello! Bumping this thread with some delicious progress!

As of this very moment, World 4 is more or less COMPLETE!
Going to update the OP with a bunch more screenshots.

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Contact:

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby Eri7 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:19 am

I like the new screenshots and also the plot seems interesting as well.

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6664
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby Cedur » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:34 am

I'm excited for this, good luck further on! Will there be a demo eventually?
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

tangeruse
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:32 pm
Flair: https://mspfa.com/?s=28789

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby tangeruse » Tue May 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Episode is now converted to a form that is compatible with SMBX2 beta4. Now with the new timer.lua!

Image

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Contact:

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby Eri7 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:48 am

tangeruse wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:47 pm
Episode is now converted to a form that is compatible with SMBX2 beta4. Now with the new timer.lua!

Image
Nice, are you going to now use the new maglx3 npcs/features?

User avatar
Rhosty
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2579
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:02 pm
Flair: nyā (にゃー)

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby Rhosty » Wed May 08, 2019 5:11 pm

This is looking very good so far
Eri7 wrote:Nice, are you going to now use the new maglx3 npcs/features?
So you didn't read what tangeruse's post said?
tangeruse wrote: Episode is now converted to a form that is compatible with SMBX2 beta4. Now with the new timer.lua!
Image omg zoom is absolute trash, why does my school still use it

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Contact:

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby Eri7 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:15 pm

Eureka wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:11 pm
This is looking very good so far
Eri7 wrote:Nice, are you going to now use the new maglx3 npcs/features?
So you didn't read what tangeruse's post said?
tangeruse wrote: Episode is now converted to a form that is compatible with SMBX2 beta4. Now with the new timer.lua!
That doesn't answer my question since i already read it. I was thinking more like using the new npcs and cool features other than this, i guess i didn't word it better.

tangeruse
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:32 pm
Flair: https://mspfa.com/?s=28789

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby tangeruse » Wed May 08, 2019 10:52 pm

It might. It might not.

User avatar
MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1504
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:43 am

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby MegaDood » Thu May 09, 2019 2:18 am

So the plot is beat up Bowser because he wants to go on holidays? Nice. Also yeah, the screenshots look good, but I do feel a few of the screenshots clash a bit, like the pipes with the background in the water cave level and the ghost house tiles next to the SMB3 grasslands. Perhaps changing the style of a few things would improve this. But overall, it looks nice, well done.
My Project:
Image
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Contact:

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby Eri7 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:24 am

MegaDood wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:18 am
So the plot is beat up Bowser because he wants to go on holidays? Nice. Also yeah, the screenshots look good, but I do feel a few of the screenshots clash a bit, like the pipes with the background in the water cave level and the ghost house tiles next to the SMB3 grasslands. Perhaps changing the style of a few things would improve this. But overall, it looks nice, well done.
Clash is subjective, i think they fit but the colors could be changed a little to fit even more. And if you didn't know, this is called style mixing and could work pretty well or really bad depending on how you use it.

User avatar
Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Posts: 1578
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:59 am
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby Waddle » Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 am

Eri7 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:24 am
MegaDood wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:18 am
So the plot is beat up Bowser because he wants to go on holidays? Nice. Also yeah, the screenshots look good, but I do feel a few of the screenshots clash a bit, like the pipes with the background in the water cave level and the ghost house tiles next to the SMB3 grasslands. Perhaps changing the style of a few things would improve this. But overall, it looks nice, well done.
Clash is subjective, i think they fit but the colors could be changed a little to fit even more. And if you didn't know, this is called style mixing and could work pretty well or really bad depending on how you use it.
No, megadood actually got it right. Clash is when things look jarring next to each other, given the context of the level. Often that will constitute style-mixing but there is definitely a rigid principle for clash that may be applied here.
Image

User avatar
MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1504
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:43 am

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby MegaDood » Thu May 09, 2019 6:50 am

Eri7 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:24 am
MegaDood wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:18 am
So the plot is beat up Bowser because he wants to go on holidays? Nice. Also yeah, the screenshots look good, but I do feel a few of the screenshots clash a bit, like the pipes with the background in the water cave level and the ghost house tiles next to the SMB3 grasslands. Perhaps changing the style of a few things would improve this. But overall, it looks nice, well done.
Clash is subjective, i think they fit but the colors could be changed a little to fit even more. And if you didn't know, this is called style mixing and could work pretty well or really bad depending on how you use it.
Eh true... I got a lot of criticism for clash when I did something similar in my own project... I've sort of been afraid of style mixing after all that... But you're right, it might work well once we play the level for ourselves.
My Project:
Image
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
KBorg64
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:38 pm
Flair: Flair
Contact:

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby KBorg64 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:44 pm

Most of the clash I see is easily fixable. Like the pipes in the cave, or the blocks in that sand level. Simply replace them with other similar objects that match the rest of the level's style (so use graphics from the same game for the most part).
Image

Formerly 64searchman46.

Main Youtube Channel
"The Note Block" Discord server
Discord username: kborg#5607
Switch friend code: SW-0765-3487-6690

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby Enjl » Fri May 10, 2019 2:24 am

64searchman46 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:44 pm
Most of the clash I see is easily fixable. Like the pipes in the cave, or the blocks in that sand level. Simply replace them with other similar objects that match the rest of the level's style (so use graphics from the same game for the most part).
Iunno I kinda dig the aesthetics the way they are. The only thing I'm really wondering about is that entity in the third and fifth screenshot of World 1 is.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

User avatar
KBorg64
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:38 pm
Flair: Flair
Contact:

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby KBorg64 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Enjl wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:24 am
64searchman46 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:44 pm
Most of the clash I see is easily fixable. Like the pipes in the cave, or the blocks in that sand level. Simply replace them with other similar objects that match the rest of the level's style (so use graphics from the same game for the most part).
Iunno I kinda dig the aesthetics the way they are. The only thing I'm really wondering about is that entity in the third and fifth screenshot of World 1 is.
Yeah, overall I like the aesthetics, too. Clash doesn't bother me too much, as long as it's used well.
Image

Formerly 64searchman46.

Main Youtube Channel
"The Note Block" Discord server
Discord username: kborg#5607
Switch friend code: SW-0765-3487-6690

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby Enjl » Fri May 10, 2019 5:16 pm

64searchman46 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:56 pm
Enjl wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:24 am
64searchman46 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:44 pm
Most of the clash I see is easily fixable. Like the pipes in the cave, or the blocks in that sand level. Simply replace them with other similar objects that match the rest of the level's style (so use graphics from the same game for the most part).
Iunno I kinda dig the aesthetics the way they are. The only thing I'm really wondering about is that entity in the third and fifth screenshot of World 1 is.
Yeah, overall I like the aesthetics, too. Clash doesn't bother me too much, as long as it's used well.
That's fair, though I'm not sure if much of what you point out even counts as clash to begin with? Clash implies there's some sort of disconnect between the aesthetics in a level, though a stylistic disconnect within the space of "vanilla graphics" doesn't really stand out I find. The pipes in the cave especially look super normal to me. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think what you pointed out is really harming the aesthetics of the episode.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.


Return to “Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests