(New Showcase Video) Bowser's Plan B

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
TheBossCDA
Spiny
Spiny

(New Showcase Video) Bowser's Plan B

Postby TheBossCDA » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:14 am

Game Version: 38A
Projected Release Date: Q1 2018
Worlds: 4
Levels: 16

Hey all, just wanted to present my progress on a project that I've been working on for the past month or so. Feel free to give criticism on what I have so far or ask questions!

EDIT: I've created a new demonstration video that showcases three of the levels in the game. Tell me what you think of it in action!

The Content:
Spoiler: show

World 1 is your typical grassy plains shtick, intentionally following many of the trends that has made Mario great. It will feature traditional tutorial-esque sections and playgrounds for players to play around with their abilities, preparing them for what's ahead.

Level demo:

World 2 is where the real game begins. Levels will begin to become more vast and challenging as you explore this ruin-filled oasis.

Level demo:

World 3 becomes an ambient adventure through an icy enemy-infested island. Discover new power-ups to add to your arsenal as you refine the skills you'll need for the final challenge.

Level demo:

You've reached the Mushroom Kingdom's industrial isle, or World 4. On top of tricky platforming and difficult enemy encounters, you will be dealing with open-ended puzzles if you want to make it to the koopa king himself.

Level demo:

Credits:
Everything custom in this episode was/will be created by me- aside from sprite references from Nintendo, and the music which will of course be credited in-episode unless requested.

Progress:
W1: 25% Complete
W2: 35% Complete
W3: 35% Complete
W4: 20% Complete
Map: 80% Complete
Bonuses: 5% Complete

Misc ideas/questions (Respond at your own volition)
  • Would you be interested in a DKC Funky's Flights esque world setup where progress would have to be made in a world before travel to previous ones is permitted for extra life balance and anti-grinding?
  • How big of a barrier is 38A for episode approachability and why?
  • Aside from world 1 (which is generic for visual narrative purposes), how could the theming of other worlds be diversified?
Last edited by TheBossCDA on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ADMAndrew
Swooper
Swooper

Re: Bowser's Plan B

Postby ADMAndrew » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:59 pm

The idea of the project is great as well as the graphics :) but I do not see a solid story, although it would be interesting to try it :D
I'm working on a wiki to translate SCP info into Spanish, someone would like to help me :roll: Click Me

My actual projects :D :
Peach's Heartache - (WIP-BETA1)
Mario 64 (SMBX Edition) - WIP-DEMO3

xDestroy
Ninji
Ninji

Postby xDestroy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:02 pm

This looks like a AMAZING project, sadly i can't beta test it because its 3&A, but i still highly support it
no

TheBossCDA
Spiny
Spiny

Postby TheBossCDA » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:06 am

ADMAndrew wrote:The idea of the project is great as well as the graphics :) but I do not see a solid story, although it would be interesting to try it :D
Thanks! But don't worry about the story, I've got a few ideas. I just want to put the gameplay first and not spoil anything. When I post progress updates you might get some hints ;)
xDestroy wrote:This looks like a AMAZING project, sadly i can't beta test it because its 3&A, but i still highly support it
Believe me, if there was a way to put all this into 2.0 and use the PGE editor I would. Does 38A not work on your computer?

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Westretroman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:19 pm

I think it works on his computer, it's just that most 1.3ers have distaste for 38A and don't like it for it's bugginess and physics. This project looks cool and the ideas shown are creative.

CoinKillerL
Rex
Rex

Postby CoinKillerL » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:48 pm

looks cool!
Check also out these amazing projects!
ImageImage

TheBossCDA
Spiny
Spiny

Postby TheBossCDA » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Westretroman wrote:I think it works on his computer, it's just that most 1.3ers have distaste for 38A and don't like it for it's bugginess and physics. This project looks cool and the ideas shown are creative.
I don't blame those users, but you have to admit that 38A adds a lot of design possibilities and interesting items to the fray. If I had to start this project over again I'd learn the LunaLua API and make it for 2.0, but I think disregarding anything to do with the version for a few bugs is a bit extreme.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby Electriking » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:44 pm

2.0 is still better though.
Although there is no reason to hate on 38A, unless its the 5438A38A variety, who you can't expect to listen to your suggestions for 1.4. So 2.0 has the edge that your suggestions actually have a chance of making it in, as well as the fact there are more design possibilities woth LunaLua, and by beta 4 just more design possibilities. The problem is that 2.0 and 38A do divide the community by co-existing.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

TheBossCDA
Spiny
Spiny

Postby TheBossCDA » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Electriking wrote:2.0 is still better though.
Although there is no reason to hate on 38A, unless its the 5438A38A variety, who you can't expect to listen to your suggestions for 1.4. So 2.0 has the edge that your suggestions actually have a chance of making it in, as well as the fact there are more design possibilities woth LunaLua, and by beta 4 just more design possibilities. The problem is that 2.0 and 38A do divide the community by co-existing.
It's hard to find a reason why someone couldn't just have both variants downloaded and use each one when applicable. It would be a much bigger problem if there were hundreds of SMBX versions out there that weren't compatible with each other. But yes, 2.0 is objectively the best version out there right now.

Kley
Edge
Edge
Flair: Robot

Postby Kley » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:27 am

CoinKillerL wrote:looks cool!
Try to say a little more next time ;)

TheBossCDA
Spiny
Spiny

Postby TheBossCDA » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Uh oh Mario, now that's what I call a Tropical Freeze.

Edit: New demo video up, tell me what you think!

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Re: (New Showcase Video) Bowser's Plan B

Postby Taycamgame » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:08 pm

This is looking really cool, it would be nice if it was to be longer than 16 levels but i bet it will still be good.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
ImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

TheBossCDA
Spiny
Spiny

Re: (New Showcase Video) Bowser's Plan B

Postby TheBossCDA » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:10 pm

Taycamgame wrote:This is looking really cool, it would be nice if it was to be longer than 16 levels but i bet it will still be good.
I'm going to be packing each individual level with new mechanics and a different graphics motif- should probably be around the length of a classic Megaman game.

xDestroy
Ninji
Ninji

Postby xDestroy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:23 pm

TheBossCDA wrote:Does 38A not work on your computer?
Norton says its a trojan virus, so i cant have it.
no

TheBossCDA
Spiny
Spiny

Postby TheBossCDA » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:53 pm

xDestroy wrote:
Norton is never right about anything... where are you trying to download it from?

xDestroy
Ninji
Ninji

Postby xDestroy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:09 am

TheBossCDA wrote:
xDestroy wrote:
Norton is never right about anything... where are you trying to download it from?
http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=714
no

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby Electriking » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:13 am

xDestroy wrote:
TheBossCDA wrote:
xDestroy wrote: Norton says its a trojan virus, so i cant have it.
http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=714
Yeah, that is a false positive
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Return to “Projects”