Erik's levels (Larry's Underground Hideout) APRIL 8th!!!

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
Erik
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: none
Chat Username: Ludwig

Erik's levels (Larry's Underground Hideout) APRIL 8th!!!

Postby Erik » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:00 am

Hey everyone! long time no see! I thought I'd pick up an old hobby, now the whole world's in quarantine anyway.
So here's my level! There might even be more as time goes on.

Larry's Underground Hideout

Screenshots
Spoiler: show
Download

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... ideout.zip

Graphic credits:
Larry's Castle tileset - witchking666
Blue cave tileset -Luffy
Cave BGOs - Link
Cave background + Gloombas - Zephyr
SMB3 recoloured SMW spikes, SMB2 vine and SMW coins - legendtony987
Larry sprite - Maribros12
Larry statue - Chad
Thwomp recolour - Natsu
Swooper - Valtteri

If I've missed anyone, please tell

Iggy's Venomous Fortress

Some screenshots
Oh and MECHDRAGON777 did a coinless playthrough of it! Download

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... ah_boi.zip

Graphic credits:
Iggy's Castle tileset - witchking666
Poisoned lava tileset - DarkMecha
Castle doors - Enjl
Iggy sprite - Shocker
Clown car - Legendtony987
Iggy+clowncar - FanofSMBX

As for all of the other stuff, I am truely clueless

Roy's Airship Stronghold

Screens:
MECHDRAGON777's coinless playthrough Download:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nghold.zip

Graphic credits:
SMB3 Airship expanded - Sednaiur
Castle tileset + Roy statue - Chad
Roy sprite - Mariobros12
Skewers - Enjl + Gatete
Koopa Troopas - Diegoxh99
SMB3 Recoloured springboard - legendtony987

If I've missed anyone, don't be shy to point it out
Last edited by Erik on Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Maxjacinto2
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: YNWA
Current Project: The Return of the Shogun, The Minus World
Chat Username: Steeeeeeeeer_

Re: Erik's levels (Iggy's Venomous Fortress)

Postby Maxjacinto2 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:48 am

A very enjoyable level overall! The graphics synergize incredibly well, the difficulty starts ramping up as the levels goes by, yet doesn't make it unfair, the music choice was very good (at first I thought it was going to be weird hearing the factory music in a jungle castle, but it surprisingly fits quite well haha), and the boss was fitting as well, though a bit easy when taking into consideration the rest of the level. If you could make it have a second form of some sorts, that'd be totally delightful. And that reference was quite cool as well lol

Keep up the great work, Erik, what a good level this was!
Check out my upcoming episode: The Return of The Shogun

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 pm

Did you convert the music to .oggs since I last played it yesterday? My download link in my video has them converted to .oggs; just not sure if I saved the .lvlx file before zipping and uploading.
Difficulty 0.5MD
The level had a few Hammer Brothers around the level and Scuttle bugs over poison and note blocks did add up. Often times, the Chasing AI of the Koopas on the Paddle Wheel also often caused issues. Not much else of the level adds to the difficulty though.
Contest Design: 37/50 Creativity: 19/30 Visuals: 14/20 (70/100)
The level is quite fun and first use of Paddle Wheels with line guides I have seen in SMBX so far. The Goomba falling section near the end had an interesting flair and provided a nice final challenge as well. The level might be in due of a third/fourth checkpoint as well for a blind play-though, but not an overly important thing however. The boss was interesting, even if it is breakable with Toad or Peach. (Mario and Luigi can also pull it off with enough time and patience.) The Scuttle Bugs have a tendency to turn around at weird points, but I do not think that is the levels fault, but still makes some points awkward if you are too slow. The use of the Poison also is a nice tone as well that plays in with the visuals nicely. I just do not think Fear Factory works here.
I think I would give this a B+ tier. (Some might call this an A-)

ImageImageImage

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Current Project: The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:25 pm

Wow, you haven't made a level in a while!
This is quite nice for a comeback... I'm hoping to see further improvements on your end!
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Shadow Yoshi, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"A serious joke question" - MECHDRAGON777, 2020

My Project - The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle

Erik
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Erik » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:34 pm

Maxjacinto2 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:48 am
A very enjoyable level overall! The graphics synergize incredibly well, the difficulty starts ramping up as the levels goes by, yet doesn't make it unfair, the music choice was very good (at first I thought it was going to be weird hearing the factory music in a jungle castle, but it surprisingly fits quite well haha), and the boss was fitting as well, though a bit easy when taking into consideration the rest of the level. If you could make it have a second form of some sorts, that'd be totally delightful. And that reference was quite cool as well lol

Keep up the great work, Erik, what a good level this was!
Thanks man! Been a while since I've made anything at all so I'm glad it turned out the way it did! Especially considering I've put out abominations like Ludwig's Malevolent Palace in the past xD. Glad you enjoyed!
MECHDRAGON777 wrote: Did you convert the music to .oggs since I last played it yesterday? My download link in my video has them converted to .oggs; just not sure if I saved the .lvlx file before zipping and uploading.
Difficulty 0.5MD
The level had a few Hammer Brothers around the level and Scuttle bugs over poison and note blocks did add up. Often times, the Chasing AI of the Koopas on the Paddle Wheel also often caused issues. Not much else of the level adds to the difficulty though.
Contest Design: 37/50 Creativity: 19/30 Visuals: 14/20 (70/100)
The level is quite fun and first use of Paddle Wheels with line guides I have seen in SMBX so far. The Goomba falling section near the end had an interesting flair and provided a nice final challenge as well. The level might be in due of a third/fourth checkpoint as well for a blind play-though, but not an overly important thing however. The boss was interesting, even if it is breakable with Toad or Peach. (Mario and Luigi can also pull it off with enough time and patience.) The Scuttle Bugs have a tendency to turn around at weird points, but I do not think that is the levels fault, but still makes some points awkward if you are too slow. The use of the Poison also is a nice tone as well that plays in with the visuals nicely. I just do not think Fear Factory works here.
I think I would give this a B+ tier. (Some might call this an A-)
Thanks for the review man! I have to admit I haven't tested the level with Toad, Peach or Link, but yeah breaking the boss isn't all that hard. As for the music, it kinda works in my head haha.
ShadowStarX wrote: Wow, you haven't made a level in a while!
This is quite nice for a comeback... I'm hoping to see further improvements on your end!
Indeed I haven't! Quite happy it didn't turn out such an abomination as Ludwig's Malevolent Palace =P

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Current Project: The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:38 pm

Erik wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:34 pm
Indeed I haven't! Quite happy it didn't turn out such an abomination as Ludwig's Malevolent Palace =P
At least Mechdragon would've had an easy time doing a coinless run on it.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Shadow Yoshi, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"A serious joke question" - MECHDRAGON777, 2020

My Project - The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:30 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:38 pm
Erik wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:34 pm
At least Mechdragon would've had an easy time doing a coinless run on it.
No, I would not. That level has no power-ups, checkpoint, or coins. Beating that level coinless still requires beating a 40 layer Ludwig over SMB3 Bowser and the entire level in one go damageless... (Checkpoints mentioned only since they inherently they give a mushroom.)

ImageImageImage

Erik
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Re: Erik's levels (Roy's Airship Stronghold) APRIL 2ND!

Postby Erik » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:13 pm

I made a level again! This time it's inspired by a Mario Kart DS course, hope ya guys enjoy! Screens:
Last edited by Erik on Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Re: Erik's levels (Roy's Airship Stronghold) APRIL 2nd!!!

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:29 pm

Difficulty 0.4 MD (4 dMD)
The real difficulty comes from trying to get the star coins with skewers without knowing how to do them. The first one is best done by just throwing a red shell or just plan killing the fire brother first. The second one is just knowing to be penitent; patience is not required, just makes it easier. The third one is just knowing to turn back around after you jump down. The Sledge brothers are also a reason for concern for the player. Being stun-locked is not fun. Though here is a question; why are the burners done in a way where they are of no threat to the player? Not much plays into difficulty though.
Contest Design: 42 Creativity: 23 Aesthetics: 18 (83/100)
This level was GREAT and I liked the use of the brothers. They seem to be more prone to throwing things from the past so that is a nice turn of events. (Either that or the Skewers add just enough wait time to make them a threat.) This was a great balance of the two. The star coins were also balanced nicely, though the waiting of that one skewer needed to get that one star coins is a bit meh. As the level advances, you even introduce Sledge brothers which reminds me why I hated world 4 of the original SMB3. It provides a nice fair challenge. When it comes to the SMB3 Bowser fight, I am glad you made it three hits before each survival set, but the invisible walls on the sides are a tad unfair if one attempted to get Roy to jump in the pit, then you end up with an unfair hit since the wall is invisible. A better way might make the walls crumble away and have spikes on the wall that crumbles away? I have to question why the burners were not used more than they were; sure, they are not a threat to the player in their only appearance, but still feels odd to have them and not use them. Could have spiced up the boss fight a little bit. Speaking of which, if you are not aware of that Roy spawns on the bridges, then it could lead to an unfair hit or even an unfair death if you do not have a power-up.
Erik wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:00 am
Roy's Airship Stronghold
Download:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nghold.zip
Graphic credits:
SMB3 Airship expanded - Sednaiur
Castle tileset + Roy statue - Chad
Roy sprite - Mariobros12
Skewers - Enjl, I think
Koopa Troopas - Diegoxh99
SMB3 Recoloured springboard - legendtony987

If I've missed anyone, don't be shy to point it out
Skewer's are made by Gatete AND Enjl and imported by me. Credit should be to Gatete and Enjl.

ImageImageImage

Erik
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Erik » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:39 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:29 pm

Difficulty 0.4 MD (4 dMD)
The real difficulty comes from trying to get the star coins with skewers without knowing how to do them. The first one is best done by just throwing a red shell or just plan killing the fire brother first. The second one is just knowing to be penitent; patience is not required, just makes it easier. The third one is just knowing to turn back around after you jump down. The Sledge brothers are also a reason for concern for the player. Being stun-locked is not fun. Though here is a question; why are the burners done in a way where they are of no threat to the player? Not much plays into difficulty though.
Contest Design: 42 Creativity: 23 Aesthetics: 18 (83/100)
This level was GREAT and I liked the use of the brothers. They seem to be more prone to throwing things from the past so that is a nice turn of events. (Either that or the Skewers add just enough wait time to make them a threat.) This was a great balance of the two. The star coins were also balanced nicely, though the waiting of that one skewer needed to get that one star coins is a bit meh. As the level advances, you even introduce Sledge brothers which reminds me why I hated world 4 of the original SMB3. It provides a nice fair challenge. When it comes to the SMB3 Bowser fight, I am glad you made it three hits before each survival set, but the invisible walls on the sides are a tad unfair if one attempted to get Roy to jump in the pit, then you end up with an unfair hit since the wall is invisible. A better way might make the walls crumble away and have spikes on the wall that crumbles away? I have to question why the burners were not used more than they were; sure, they are not a threat to the player in their only appearance, but still feels odd to have them and not use them. Could have spiced up the boss fight a little bit. Speaking of which, if you are not aware of that Roy spawns on the bridges, then it could lead to an unfair hit or even an unfair death if you do not have a power-up.
Thanks for the review man! I actually though about removing the burners too, but didn't pay further attention to actually doing it haha. As for the boss, I'm pretty new to making bosses that are not the vanilla AI with Bowser statues in the arena so there's probably room for a lot of improvement in that.

thegameseum
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: non binary (they, them)
Current Project: a secret project, which is currently on hold for now.
Chat Username: pdizzle

Postby thegameseum » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:27 am

That was a pretty enjoyable level overall. Definitely easier than Iggy's Venomous Fortress, but still has a good level of challenge to it. The star coins were fun to get too. However, the boss suffers the same fate as Iggy, that being is that Roy is really easy compared to the rest of the level. Still a fun level, though. I quite liked it.
Image Image
walker guy

I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

(GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

I support:
ImageImage

Erik
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Erik » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:52 am

thegameseum wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:27 am
That was a pretty enjoyable level overall. Definitely easier than Iggy's Venomous Fortress, but still has a good level of challenge to it. The star coins were fun to get too. However, the boss suffers the same fate as Iggy, that being is that Roy is really easy compared to the rest of the level. Still a fun level, though. I quite liked it.
Thanks man! I might improve the bosses later on to make them a bit more challenging.

Erik
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Re: Erik's levels (Larry's Underground Hideout) APRIL 8th!!!

Postby Erik » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:54 pm

A new level!!!
Larry's Underground Hideout

Screenshots
Download

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... ideout.zip

Graphic credits:
Larry's Castle tileset - witchking666
Blue cave tileset -Luffy
Cave BGOs - Link