Rolling Hills

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
User avatar
Bob el -IVo
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Rolling Hills

Postby Bob el -IVo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Hello,

This is my first official SMBX level. It can be difficult.
No custom graphics as this is my first level. Please provide feedback!

Screenshots: Download: Thanks! :D

UPDATE: FIXED LINK
Last edited by Bob el -IVo on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Apple!
Apple Who?
Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Apple!
Apple Who?
Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Strawberry!
Strawberry who?
Spoiler: show
Strawberry you glad I didn't say apple? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

User avatar
youngtomlin
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 7:22 pm

Re: Rolling Hills

Postby youngtomlin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:21 pm

Could you please fix the download link. I will then review your level. :D

User avatar
HackPlayer7
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Rolling Hills

Postby HackPlayer7 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:06 pm

The SMB2 cave blocks look out of place, but otherwise I like the use of graphics! It's rare to have a level that uses vanilla graphics. Not that using them is a bad thing, but only mixing vanilla GFXs is rather unique now.
Some project I'm working onto.
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Bob el -IVo
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: Rolling Hills

Postby Bob el -IVo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:08 am

Fixed the download link. Sorry I didn't do it earlier, I posted the link and went to bed XD
HackPlayer7 wrote:The SMB2 cave blocks look out of place, but otherwise I like the use of graphics! It's rare to have a level that uses vanilla graphics. Not that using them is a bad thing, but only mixing vanilla GFXs is rather unique now.
Yeah, I hate having people change the graphics and requiring you to download 15 other files to play their first level :x
Last edited by PixelPest on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged posts
Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Apple!
Apple Who?
Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Apple!
Apple Who?
Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Strawberry!
Strawberry who?
Spoiler: show
Strawberry you glad I didn't say apple? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: Rolling Hills

Postby PixelPest » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:05 am

Bob el -IVo wrote:
Please don't double-post

User avatar
Bob el -IVo
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: Rolling Hills

Postby Bob el -IVo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:11 am

PixelPest wrote:
Bob el -IVo wrote:
Please don't double-post
Sorry I did that.
If I edit the post, do people watching the thread / people who replied to the thread get a notification? I get worried about that.
Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Apple!
Apple Who?
Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Apple!
Apple Who?
Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Strawberry!
Strawberry who?
Spoiler: show
Strawberry you glad I didn't say apple? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

User avatar
Core
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:29 am
Flair: Trans <3 She/her

Re: Rolling Hills

Postby Core » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:53 am

Rolling Eyes
So the first thing i should say about this level, that its actually not that bad for the first level. The only problems for me were: Strange Gameplay, Bad Design, "Bad" usage of mixing styles, no music (idk if this supposed to be like this, or not (im using 38a, but i don't think thats a problem)), and some strange moments..
What moments i mean?

Image

I meant, really, that doesn't fit into the levels. This placement of coins, and those thwomps shouldnt be there at all. You could add some other npcs instand of Thwomps, and you could do a right coin placement.
And the next one is:

Image

Whats wrong there? Well.. When you climb up to the vine, instand of Instant Warp here, there is Door Warp, which isn't right.
And as i said, you could do a good usage of mixing styles, you could do a better design, you could do a better gameplay, and you could set the music for the level, but since its your first level, then i guess its okay (mine first level was a lot of worse :/). Its decent for the first level. I hope your new levels will be better!
Last edited by Core on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join NSMBX's official server! - https://discord.gg/RMYdYfX

PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: Rolling Hills

Postby PixelPest » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:58 am

MyNameIsEric52 wrote:

Image

I meant, really, that doesn't fit into the levels. This placement of coins, and those thwomps shouldnt be there at all.
If they weren't there at all though then it would just be flat and boring. Maybe suggest a better set-up there?

Also unless the level is made with 38A you shouldn't use it to play it has 38A has weird different physics than SMBX

User avatar
Fchez
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:03 pm

Re: Rolling Hills

Postby Fchez » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:44 pm

DESPITE NOT HAVING THE LEVEL REVIEWER ROLE, I HAVE DECIDED TO MAKE A REVIEW REGARDLESS
Review of "Rolling Hills"

Level Design:

This level is basically a random assortment of ideas thrown into a level without any thought. There is a loose gimmick of jumping onto enemies to gain height, but it isn't executed that well. Right off the bat, the level starts with a difficult jump onto a winged goomba, thinking you already know that jumping on them would make you gain height. I would have preferred that you introduced the gimmick first, but okay. After that, you quickly learn a lot of enemies are purposely placed in order of you to hit them and die, making it feel like a terrible mario maker level. Next, there are some vines, which i'm guessing you are trying to twist your gimmick? You can just jump over it anyways.

Image

After some boring platforming sections, there is a random appearance of a running section with the thwomps without any prior warning or teaching the player. Lastly, there is kaizo-style bullet bill platforming and more vines and fire piranha plants, then the level just ends. What terrible level design.

Graphics A E S T H E T I C S:

This level uses vanilla gfx. Not really much to say.

Music Choice:

There is no music.

Creativity:

The level is very generic, and the absence of custom gfx doesn't help. Not saying to always use those but another theme would've been better

Summary:

This level isn't very good. Everything else is okay, but I just can't get past the level design. People might say that "It's a difficult level", but i found it to be mostly boring and uninspired. Like I stated before, this feels like a bad mario maker level.

I'd give it uhhh... 3.5/10...
Last edited by Fchez on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: Rolling Hills

Postby PixelPest » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Fchez wrote:
Spoiler: show
DESPITE NOT HAVING THE LEVEL REVIEWER ROLE, I HAVE DECIDED TO MAKE A REVIEW REGARDLESS
Review of "Rolling Hills"

Level Design:

This level is basically a random assortment of ideas thrown into a level without any thought. There is a loose gimmick of jumping onto enemies to gain height, but it isn't executed that well. Right off the bat, the level starts with a difficult jump onto a winged goomba, thinking you already know that jumping on them would make you gain height. I would have preferred that you introduced the gimmick first, but okay. After that, you quickly learn a lot of enemies are purposely placed in order of you to hit them and die, making it feel like a terrible mario maker level. Next, there are some vines, which i'm guessing you are trying to twist your gimmick? You can just jump over it anyways.

Image

After some boring platforming sections, there is a random appearance of a running section with the thwomps without any prior warning or teaching the player. Lastly, there is kaizo-style bullet bill platforming and more vines and fire piranha plants, then the level just ends. What terrible level design.

Graphics:

This level uses vanilla gfx. Not really much to say.

Music Choice:

There is no music.

Creativity:

The level is very generic, and the absence of custom gfx doesn't help.

Summary:

This level isn't very good. Everything else is okay, but I just can't get past the level design. People might say that "It's a difficult level", but i found it to be mostly boring and uninspired. Like I stated before, this feels like a bad mario maker level.

I'd give it uhhh... 3.5/10...
I'm glad you acknowledged in your review about twisting the gimmick, however in general I'd suggest not having a category called "graphics" and instead one called "aesthetics" like the current official contest, as then you're not just judging whether it has custom graphics or not but how well they're used and the atmosphere is. Also creativity doesn't necessarily depend on custom GFX so I'd be a little careful there

User avatar
Kley
Edge
Edge
Posts: 690
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:00 am
Flair: Robot

Re: Rolling Hills

Postby Kley » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:42 am

Bob el -IVo wrote:
PixelPest wrote:
Bob el -IVo wrote:
Please don't double-post
Sorry I did that.
If I edit the post, do people watching the thread / people who replied to the thread get a notification? I get worried about that.
No, but most people notice. Just add an "Edit:" at the bottom of the post.

Image


User avatar
WildWEEGEE
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 664
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Re: Rolling Hills

Postby WildWEEGEE » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:21 pm

Fchez wrote: Graphics A E S T H E T I C S:

This level uses vanilla gfx. Not really much to say.
I think what pixelpest meant is that you should judge how the level uses the graphics rather than if there was extra graphics.

EX: This level used cave tiles in an overworld section and it clashes with the other tiles which are more meant for overworld use

I have absolutely no idea what my current project is... My interests always seem to shift
I support: show
ImageImage
Looking back at every one of my posts, I cringe, hard, very hard.

User avatar
Bob el -IVo
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: Rolling Hills

Postby Bob el -IVo » Wed May 23, 2018 12:22 pm

Ok, well, this motivated me to not post any more levels and motivated me to not finish my episode :mrgreen:
Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Apple!
Apple Who?
Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Apple!
Apple Who?
Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Strawberry!
Strawberry who?
Spoiler: show
Strawberry you glad I didn't say apple? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA


Return to “Levels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], ThePieSkyHigh and 5 guests