Cape Feather V1.0 w/ Custom GFX!

This is the place for discussion and support for LunaLua and related modifications and libraries.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Tempest
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: not here
Current Project: making sprites on srb2 discord
Chat Username: Tempest (Krimps)

Cape Feather V1.0 w/ Custom GFX!

Postby Tempest » Tue May 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Wow, this took quite some time, but here it is! :D

As the title reads, it's the Cape Feather powerup from SMW! It's nowhere near perfect, especially the physics, but I'm pretty sure it's enough for a V1.

Changelog(?): show
Features:
Thanks to HenryRichard, the cape powerup is a separate entity (NPC-49) and doesn't replace other powerups! Yee
Many custom cape sprites for (almost) each animation!
With the cape, the player can press the run button to do a spin that damages enemies and breaks certain blocks.
Holding the jump button mid-air will make the player fall slowly.
If you run for a while until your arms are out, you can hold the jump button to fly up for some time.
If you hold the run button while flying up, the player will use the cape as a parachute.
The code is an API. Instructions on how to use will be down below.
Custom cheat: needafeather (self-explanatory)
Works with wingman... Sort of.

When flying/parachute:
If you press the opposite direction you're facing every now and then you can gain some height.
Holding the opposite direction faced will make the player fall slowly.
Alternatively, holding the direction you're facing will make the player start diving down, then press the other direction to go even higher.
You won't get hurt if you get hit.
Hitting the ground while diving will cause a small earthquake.

Known issues:
Player one only.
Mario/Luigi only.
Some warp glitchyness.
Cape may disappear sometimes.
Cape duplicates when standing on an NPC.
Does not persist between other levels/world map.
Feather may duplicate in reserve box if next to another one.
The controls while flying are slightly wonky (when pressing the opposite direction).

(wow did you see that curve ^)
TL;DR you can fly.

How to use: extract the .rar on a level/episode folder. If you're using the API on a single level, create a .lua file called "lunadll.lua", if you're using the API on an episode folder, create a .lua file called "lunaworld.lua". Then copy and paste this into the file:

Code: Select all

local capeFeather = API.load("capeFeather")
That's it!
Also, in the .lua you can toggle random generation with this:

capeFeather.randomGen(true)
Or

capeFeather.randomGen(false)
When set to true, each Super Leaf in the stage you're using the powerup in has a 1/4 chance of turning into a Cape Feather (includes ? blocks).

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/pbevfppuo ... empest.rar

If you have any suggestions for a new powerup, tell me, and I will try to make it.

Credit to HenryRichard for the separate entity part, thanks man! :D
Credit to MoW for the cape parachute sprites and the cape color pallete.
I'm guessing MoW is short for something, but I couldn't find what it means. :?

Goodbye! See ya next time!

GIVE CREDIT IF USED.
Last edited by Tempest on Tue May 08, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a brazilian dude who likes videogames!
Spoopy: show
http://pokemon.alexonsager.net/92/91
*insert stupid undertale reference here*
I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in YOUR signature.
Eli Oliver (new account) wrote:hamster pipe zone?
Does anyone even know what :mrgreen: means
I Support: show
Neoteric Super Mario Bros.
viewtopic.php?t=20457
Mario and the Missing Shine Sprites

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Cape Feather V1.0 w/ Custom GFX!

Postby Enjl » Tue May 08, 2018 5:27 pm

Nice attempt but I suggest playing Super Mario World
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Tempest
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Tempest » Tue May 08, 2018 5:42 pm

Enjl wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:27 pm
What do you mean?
I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in YOUR signature.
viewtopic.php?t=20457

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue May 08, 2018 5:50 pm

Tempest wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:42 pm
Enjl wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:27 pm
What do you mean?
This plays nothing like the cape feather aside from being able to swipe and pull back/divebomb. The speed is completely unbalanced, allowing the player to rise infinitely:
https://imgur.com/Z8PuxGm
While the flight doesn't allow the player to change direction and keep going by pressing run in midair and turning around.
Also visible in that gif is the spinfly maneuver. Or rather, the lack thereof. In Super Mario World, spinjump had a unique flight to it. Flying while holding an item used it, too...
...yeah.
Also the windup is waaaay too long. In Super Mario World you can eventually get flight from scuttling back and forth on a 6 block wide platform. Also I got stuck for a sec there:
https://imgur.com/119U42Z

This level package is a bit of a mess as well (unrelated to powerup but it's painfully obvious how little this was tested). The level is not built for flight for 90% of the time, has some embarassing super koopas:
and has a warp that literally crashes the game:

https://youtu.be/Cr4PFuk65Zw

Here's a video showcasing the techniques I mentioned:

https://youtu.be/hOjaFfGDIAE
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Tempest
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Tempest » Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm

Enjl wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:50 pm
This plays nothing like the cape feather aside from being able to swipe and pull back/divebomb. The speed is completely unbalanced, allowing the player to rise infinitely:
https://imgur.com/Z8PuxGm
Yes, I am aware of that. I tried many counters to add a delay after each rise, but they only made the code worse.
Enjl wrote:
While the flight doesn't allow the player to change direction and keep going by pressing run in midair and turning around.
Oh, I actually forgot about that, my bad.
Enjl wrote:
Also visible in that gif is the spinfly maneuver. Or rather, the lack thereof. In Super Mario World, spinjump had a unique flight to it. Flying while holding an item used it, too...
...yeah.
I WAS going to add the spinjump function (because it's kinda of simple, just adding the holdingFly counter when 0x50 is true), but I didn't think it would be that necessary.
Enjl wrote:
Also the windup is waaaay too long. In Super Mario World you can eventually get flight from scuttling back and forth on a 6 block wide platform. Also I got stuck for a sec there:
https://imgur.com/119U42Z
What? Of course the windup is going to be different. SMW physics are different from SMBX. Try flying with the Super Leaf by "scuttling back and forth".
Also, you can just, y'know, stop holding the jump button.
Enjl wrote:
This level package is a bit of a mess as well (unrelated to powerup but it's painfully obvious how little this was tested). The level is not built for flight for 90% of the time, has some embarassing super koopas:
and has a warp that literally crashes the game:

https://youtu.be/Cr4PFuk65Zw
Yes, the level is bad. It's not supposed to be good, do you think I'd spend a lot of time making a good level when it's not even the main focus of the thread? It's quite obvious I'm not a level designer.
I also saw the backward koopas and I didn't try to fix it because they're not supposed to be the main focus.
Yes, the warp crashes the game. If you actually read the topic correctly, the level is just for testing (in my own world folder I have the exact same level called "lua testing"), not to give the player an eyegasm. At this point, it just feels like you're running out of things to "criticise".
Enjl wrote:
Here's a video showcasing the techniques I mentioned:

https://youtu.be/hOjaFfGDIAE
I already know most of that, here we go:

Flying with item: was going to cancel the 0x114 animation but forgot, my bad this time.
Spinjump flight: you already mentioned this before, why again? Will add another update eventually.
Spinjump with item: this isn't even related to the cape, it's just SMW physics. You can't spinjump with an item. Might as well rewrite SMBX to your liking.
Divebomb: doesn't kill enemies but already causes earthquake.
Slide after falling: I did try to add this but failed.
Cape turn with alt run: I actually didn't know about that, gonna add next update.
Releasing mid-flight: I didn't test that.
Backwards: I had that at some point but it looked really dumb. Believe me.

Also, I don't actually play a lot of SMW, so I'm not really familiar with physics.
If you actually saw the other topics, you probably would have realized that usually the V1s are just to see if people like the idea, if yes, further improvements will be made. If not, I'll leave the project behind.

For me, that reply is basically just telling me that some minor problems are affecting your OCD, except for some major problems that WILL be fixed if possible. A lot of these arguments are telling me about the flight physics, even though SMBX is obviously different (example: in SMW, you go from a little fast to max speed instantly when running).

Overall, I appreciate you telling me some glitches and bugs that I should fix, but
Enjl wrote:
This level package is a bit of a mess as well (unrelated to powerup but it's painfully obvious how little this was tested).
Maybe you could help by actually telling people how to do stuff correctly. I know how to flip sprites & stuff, but imagine I'm a newbie in graphics. Just saying "this is bad" doesn't help people on how to improve.
viewtopic.php?t=20457

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Tue May 08, 2018 7:02 pm

If you're not familiar with the source of the content you're designing as you mentioned you should probably familiarize yourself with it. Sure this is SMBX but it should at least resemble the physics of the source somewhat accurately. Also if you're giving people something to test with you should make it of reasonable quality, as having a warp that crashes the game and poorly made super koopas kinda takes away from the whole experience. Also you stated you know what's wrong. Enjl doesn't have to explain as if you're a newbie at graphics since you said you're not and you've put together these sheets. Maybe get a little better at taking criticism since half of your post is just complaining about it when Enjl obviously took a fair amount of time to put this together to help improve your power-up

Tempest
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Tempest » Tue May 08, 2018 7:38 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:02 pm
If you're not familiar with the source of the content you're designing as you mentioned you should probably familiarize yourself with it. Sure this is SMBX but it should at least resemble the physics of the source somewhat accurately. Also if you're giving people something to test with you should make it of reasonable quality, as having a warp that crashes the game and poorly made super koopas kinda takes away from the whole experience. Also you stated you know what's wrong. Enjl doesn't have to explain as if you're a newbie at graphics since you said you're not and you've put together these sheets. Maybe get a little better at taking criticism since half of your post is just complaining about it when Enjl obviously took a fair amount of time to put this together to help improve your power-up
I get it that he/she is just trying to help, and I appreciate that. I did play some SMW to get a feel of how the cape works, I just didn't play it enough to know every single thing about it, like how you can turn with alt run, and I did say I messed up there. If I knew the level I was posting needed to be very good quality I wouldn't even have posted it in the first place, because I know it's bad. I do understand what criticism is and that it's not a personal offense etc. It just felt that a big portion of what was being said was kinda... obvious? I don't know how to put it into words, but I do understand that the physics need to be close to the original source (like the flight ability, that I have to say I really messed up), I just think that it would look kinda awkward to make the running/windup physics for the feather to be sooo close to the original to the point it would make a big difference from the Super Leaf, even though they are basically the same in that context.

I'm gonna reupload the .rar without the "embarassing" level. Happy?
viewtopic.php?t=20457

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Uhh....what exactly is going on here?

also are you familiar with booleans because it seems like the code would benefit greatly from using them instead of needlessly using 0 and 1

Tempest
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Tempest » Tue May 08, 2018 9:14 pm

The0x539 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:41 pm

also are you familiar with booleans because it seems like the code would benefit greatly from using them instead of needlessly using 0 and 1
OH MY GOD
I can't believe I forgot to take that out
I used that value to test the randomGen function to see if it was actually working but I forgot to delete it :D Guess it's an easter egg now.

At one point I thought of using booleans (true or false) but I also thought it would make the code unnecessarily long, but I guess that's still an option for a future update.

i still can't believe i forgot to edit that out i'm laughing so hard
viewtopic.php?t=20457

Ryaa
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Revelation X (Webcomic)
Chat Username: Ryaa

Postby Ryaa » Tue May 08, 2018 9:29 pm

I have some notes about the cape feather if you are interesting in fixing this
Pronounced like "Rai-ah"

Tempest
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Tempest » Tue May 08, 2018 9:34 pm

Ryaa wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:29 pm
I have some notes about the cape feather if you are interesting in fixing this
I think I will make an update sooner or later to fix the physics, animations, etc. Might take some time though.
viewtopic.php?t=20457

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Tue May 08, 2018 9:46 pm

Tempest wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:14 pm
The0x539 wrote:

OH MY GOD
I used that value to test the randomGen function to see if it was actually working but I forgot to delete it :D Guess it's an easter egg now.

At one point I thought of using booleans (true or false) but I also thought it would make the code unnecessarily long, but I guess that's still an option for a future update.

Using Boolean values is not just more readable (makes sense to use them) but also shorter than using 1s and 0s

Tempest
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Tempest » Tue May 08, 2018 9:50 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:46 pm
Tempest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:

OH MY GOD

Using Boolean values is not just more readable (makes sense to use them) but also shorter than using 1s and 0s
Makes sense, it's just that I'm more familiar with integers than booleans
viewtopic.php?t=20457

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby The0x539 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:17 pm

Tempest wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:50 pm
PixelPest wrote:
Tempest wrote:

OH MY GOD

they're literally the concepts of truth and falsehood
i am unclear as to, if someone understands the idea of a boolean, how they can be anything but completely familiar
I mean it's not like this is lambda calculus or something

Tempest
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Tempest » Tue May 08, 2018 11:31 pm

The0x539 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:17 pm
Tempest wrote:
PixelPest wrote:

i am unclear as to, if someone understands the idea of a boolean, how they can be anything but completely familiar
When I was still starting to understand LunaLua I would sometimes turn FIELD_BOOLs into FIELD_WORDs without realizing that would mess up some stuff, then I kinda started doing that almost all the time until I realized I could use bool again and here we are
viewtopic.php?t=20457

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby The0x539 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Tempest wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:31 pm
The0x539 wrote:
Tempest wrote:

When I was still starting to understand LunaLua I would sometimes turn FIELD_BOOLs into FIELD_WORDs without realizing that would mess up some stuff, then I kinda started doing that almost all the time until I realized I could use bool again and here we are
but they're your Lua variables, they have nothing to do with mem calls

Teemster2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Teemster2 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:20 am

Tempest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
Tempest wrote:

I think you made a very nice attempt at a power up. While it may need some work at least you tried and you will never know how you will be at something until you try. I'm not sure if the dev team is working on this power up so if you perfect it maybe they can add it to beta4? Good try and keep up the hard work.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Wed May 09, 2018 2:33 am

Teemster2 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:20 am
so if you perfect it maybe they can add it to beta4?
I don't think they could. It isn't possible to add power-ups to the base-game yet.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Tempest
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Tempest » Wed May 09, 2018 11:50 am

The0x539 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:41 pm
Tempest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:

but they're your Lua variables, they have nothing to do with mem calls
Yes, but the thing I'm trying to say is that I got used to integers, so usually the first thing that comes to mind when setting a variable is a number. I will use booleans in the future.
Teemster2 wrote:
Tempest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:

I think you made a very nice attempt at a power up. While it may need some work at least you tried and you will never know how you will be at something until you try. I'm not sure if the dev team is working on this power up so if you perfect it maybe they can add it to beta4? Good try and keep up the hard work.
Thank you, but I doubt they would add any of my stuff to Beta 4, there's a bunch of glitches, none of them work for player 2 and I'm pretty sure the dev team is already working on it. I sure will try to perfect it as much as I can though!
Electriking wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:33 am
Teemster2 wrote:
so if you perfect it maybe they can add it to beta4?
I don't think they could. It isn't possible to add power-ups to the base-game yet.
Yeah, and the main problem is that you lose the powerup after exiting a level. :?
viewtopic.php?t=20457

MrVaderSpino
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Spino's Journey 1.4.4(38A) Progress is 15.25% before post a Forum.
Chat Username: KingBillSeeker666

Postby MrVaderSpino » Thu May 10, 2018 2:16 am

I ever having suggested by Super Mario World.
Making Custom Levels Already Soon...
I Waiting in SMBX2 beta 4..
i am Currently Participating In Other Projects
Spoiler: show
Spoiler: show
My Quotes In SMBX.
GforGoomba wrote:Are you sure removing slopes is cool?
Meepyglobix wrote: DON'T SAY "Banned My Acount??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
iphtechnologies wrote:NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2.7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
Neo Super Mario World X is Expensively in largest File is 2.7GB? Are your cannot Download they because Expensive Stored in Too Many Files?
Does Having Wasting Time...

Return to “LunaLua”