Contest Judge Applications (winners announced!)

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.
AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby AirSeus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:13 pm

I have applied
Whattup folk, I've been here for quite a while, around 10-11 years to be exact (I know, blows my mind too). I went by 45324 different names in the past before finally settling on this one. Luigi, Bowser123, Zupermariobros, IzIcy, AirSeus/AirSoos.

Have a nice day.

Rhosty
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: person who constantly changes their avatar
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Rhosty » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:28 pm

IzIcy wrote:I have applied
Good luck m8. I'm sure that I won't have any chance against you guys but good luck anyways.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:00 pm

practicalshorty014 wrote:
IzIcy wrote:I have applied
Good luck m8. I'm sure that I won't have any chance against you guys but good luck anyways.
Same here guys, it's good to feel like something I wouldn't expect happens out of my mind.
Good luck to everyone else who's applying!
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Spoiler: show
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

Cedur
Bowser
Bowser
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:52 am

Any rough deadline for the application?

Either way, it feels strange and too much of controversy if one judge scores a level 7.5 and another scores it 1.5. Such extreme differences should be balanced out a bit, shouldn't they. Faulty reasoning on judging can happen. And if you don't behave like a child, discussion on that shouldn't be a bother for you.

A rubric would obviously help to avoid that someone overestimates graphics or penalizes a level too harshly for being just a little bit difficult. Has this been a serious issue before? Do you think it's simpliest to split the ten points into, let's say, 6 for gameplay and 4 for the rest (graphics, plot, music etc)?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:07 am

Supershroom wrote:Either way, it feels strange and too much of controversy if one judge scores a level 7.5 and another scores it 1.5. Such extreme differences should be balanced out a bit, shouldn't they. Faulty reasoning on judging can happen. And if you don't behave like a child, discussion on that shouldn't be a bother for you.
Wow, if only you were around when I made my previous posts in this topic adressing everything about this sentence and giving solutions.
Supershroom wrote:6 for gameplay and 4 for the rest
eh.
I'm actually a pretty big fan of how VLDC9's rubric looked, personally:
30 - Design (difficulty curve, execution of idea, length, fun factor)
20 - Creativity (is something new presented? ideas, visual and gameplay details)
10 - Aesthetics (visuals, music, polish, etc)
Though I think the numbers themselves here are rather high and splitting it 5/3/2 if a match to 10 is necessary can be done, else I'd suggest just halving them.
Thing with rubrics is is that the sections should be clear and defined, to prevent one category from bleeding into another or one aspect overtaking an entire category. "Gameplay" as a category sounds like it completely overlooks the technical aspects of design, as well as how the level's core idea is executed, potentially causing those aspects to bleed into the "rest" category or awkwardly trying to fit in somewhere.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Mirror of all my content and collaborations on IPFS: QmZKzVJAsD6dE2tTHEb58XEmsNLzrW2MVsTtW7HWLAAcCC

Aristo
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: they/them

Postby Aristo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:11 am

Supershroom wrote:Either way, it feels strange and too much of controversy if one judge scores a level 7.5 and another scores it 1.5. Such extreme differences should be balanced out a bit, shouldn't they.
That's what there's multiple judges for. At the end all the scores are added up and divided by the number of judges. It's called an average. That way one bad judge doesn't have the final say. And unless a judge is Wraith Adamknight and gives completely questionable scores, the results even out.
Run before you walk, fly before you crawl.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:13 am

Aristocrat wrote:
Supershroom wrote:Either way, it feels strange and too much of controversy if one judge scores a level 7.5 and another scores it 1.5. Such extreme differences should be balanced out a bit, shouldn't they.
That's what there's multiple judges for. At the end all the scores are added up and divided by the number of judges. It's called an average. That way one bad judge doesn't have the final say. And unless a judge is Wraith Adamknight and gives completely questionable scores, the results even out.
To add to this, as long as a judge can reasonably justify their thoughts on a level, their score is valid. Even if it sticks out. However, as i have mentioned in a previous post, to avoid misjudging the judges should communicate to each other during judging. That way a judge won't dock points for missing, say, a midpoint which they didn't think exists.

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Mirror of all my content and collaborations on IPFS: QmZKzVJAsD6dE2tTHEb58XEmsNLzrW2MVsTtW7HWLAAcCC

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: Mark your calendars.

Postby Sancles-Chan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:03 pm

How many judges are you actually looking for? It wasn't specified anywhere.
She/Her

Unidentified
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Unidentified » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:27 pm

Aristocrat wrote:That way one bad judge doesn't have the final say. And unless a judge is Wraith Adamknight and gives completely questionable scores, the results even out.
Or Quill

Mivixion
Panser
Panser

Postby Mivixion » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm trying to not specify too much since I want the application to be open-ended as possible. Applications will probably end in the next few days to catch any stragglers or people who might be revising very well written applications

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: Mark your calendars.

Postby Sancles-Chan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:49 pm

so the number depends on the number of good applications is what I'm getting
She/Her

Mivixion
Panser
Panser

Postby Mivixion » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Sanct wrote:so the number depends on the number of good applications is what I'm getting
maybe maybe not

Rhosty
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Rhosty » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Mivixion wrote:
Sanct wrote:so the number depends on the number of good applications is what I'm getting
maybe maybe not
The staff might pick people on a first come, first serve basis, but I really think the most persuasive applications will be picked, rather than the first ones.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Mivixion wrote:
maybe maybe not
The staff might pick people on a first come, first serve basis, but I really think the most persuasive applications will be picked, rather than the first ones.
Your goal for a contest is to pick good judges, picking based on a first come first served basis is gonna lead to some wacky times in judging.

Mivixion
Panser
Panser

Postby Mivixion » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:02 am

Applications are now closed. The winners will be announced soon™

Cedur
Bowser
Bowser
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:07 am

Mivixion wrote:Applications will probably end in the next few days
WHAT? Going by this everyone would assume that there's still two or three days left, and I would have been done already if I knew that you would close it already today.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:20 am

Supershroom wrote:
WHAT? Going by this everyone would assume that there's still two or three days left, and I would have been done already if I knew that you would close it already today.
Early bird gets the worm I guess. They probably had a large enough sample size already to choose from if it's closed already. Good luck to everyone who applied

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:30 am

Supershroom wrote:
"Applications will close in a few days" should be a signal for you to hurry up.

Rhosty
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Rhosty » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:39 am

Mivixion wrote:Applications are now closed. The winners will be announced soon™
XD, why did you trademark your post? When might they be announced? Saturday?

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:41 am

Mivixion wrote:Applications are now closed. The winners will be announced soon™
XD, why did you trademark your post?
It's some kind of meme.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

Return to “Events and Announcements”