SMBX 2.0 Open Beta

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.
loop13
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: I mainly play Celeste nowadays
Current Project: failing English IV
Chat Username: loop13uh

Re: SMBX 2.0 Open Beta

Postby loop13 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:08 am

I am hyped for this update. Great work.
Hello, I make a lot of typos
specific people know my whereabouts though

my wifi is as useful as a brick

im more active on discord

:idea: I'm not (completely) dead; I rarely talk because I usually have nothin to say; I'll talk when I actually have a comment I want to make, or if someone asks me somethin...

nostalgia is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

anything before 2020 is most likely me being a weirdo or an idiot.

andreepika11233
Spiny
Spiny

Postby andreepika11233 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:22 am

FanofSMBX wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote: That's perfectly understandable. If you guys will be working on new NPCs soon, would I be able to request additional NPCs from DKC. Some enemies could be a great addition to SMBX for how unique and different they are as compared to normal Mario enemies.
Very possible. With the new cast, I know we're planning on doing some Megaman enemies like Mettools and stuff.

I'll consider DKC enemies - would you mind suggesting some in particular? And providing a video reference of their mechanics?

I would need that since I don't really know DKC. All my experience from that series is Let's Playing a DKC knockoff and playing the second one for like an hour. So I have no idea which enemies are 'iconic' or mechanically interesting or whatever.
Will it have the Spine (gray hubcap) from Heavy and Metal?
I don't see a game with Heavy and Metal as it's title when I google "heavy and metal video game", and so what is Heavy and Metal?
Spoiler: show
"noot! noot!" - Pingu the penguin
I support.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:56 am

andreepika11233 wrote: I don't see a game with Heavy and Metal as it's title when I google "heavy and metal video game", and so what is Heavy and Metal?

andreepika11233
Spiny
Spiny

Postby andreepika11233 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:04 am

Hoeloe wrote:
andreepika11233 wrote: I don't see a game with Heavy and Metal as it's title when I google "heavy and metal video game", and so what is Heavy and Metal?
Ok, its a smbx 2.0 megaman level then.
I support.

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Украинец
Current Project: RL
Chat Username: h/hnumbers

Postby h2643 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:20 am

andreepika11233 wrote:Ok, its a smbx 2.0 megaman level then.
There's also a Game Boy emulator in the last part of raocow's MaGLX2 playthrough.

Angelus
Bit
Bit

Postby Angelus » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:48 pm

I'm sorry for bringing this question here, but I've been trying to understand a thing: which version of SMBX should I use? 1.3 or this one (2.0)? If so, 1.3 is no longer used by the community, or...?

andreepika11233
Spiny
Spiny

Postby andreepika11233 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:55 pm

Angelus wrote:I'm sorry for bringing this question here, but I've been trying to understand a thing: which version of SMBX should I use? 1.3 or this one (2.0)? If so, 1.3 is no longer used by the community, or...?
Its still used, but once smbx 2.0 reaches to its final stages, it will be no longer be used anymore.
I support.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:00 pm

Angelus wrote:I'm sorry for bringing this question here, but I've been trying to understand a thing: which version of SMBX should I use? 1.3 or this one (2.0)? If so, 1.3 is no longer used by the community, or...?
I think the big thing now is SMBX 1.3.0.1 + LunaLua now. Since a lot of people have issues installing it though, you can just install this and not use the new features (characters and Starman) since they're a little glitchy, since it comes with LunaLua built in. After the next update comes, PGE and SMBX 2.0 will be the thing. Horikawa has stated that SMBX 1.3.0.1 (the Legacy Editor) isn't active by default since PGE will have its engine working, so it's probably best to download 2.0 Beta so you can get used to PGE

The Thwomp King
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Super Mario Country

Postby The Thwomp King » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:03 pm

PixelPest wrote:
I think the big thing now is SMBX 1.3.0.1 + LunaLua now. Since a lot of people have issues installing it though, you can just install this and not use the new features (characters and Starman) since they're a little glitchy, since it comes with LunaLua built in. After the next update comes, PGE and SMBX 2.0 will be the thing. Horikawa has stated that SMBX 1.3.0.1 (the Legacy Editor) isn't active by default since PGE will have its engine working, so it's probably best to download 2.0 Beta so you can get used to PGE
This might've been answered already too, but how much will be lost when we all switch over to 2.0? Like will all the graphics be usable still as well as all levels?

Check out my current project, Super Mario Country:

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:11 pm

The Thwomp King wrote:
PixelPest wrote:
This might've been answered already too, but how much will be lost when we all switch over to 2.0? Like will all the graphics be usable still as well as all levels?
From what I've seen I'm pretty sure everything is compatible (levels, physics, Lua, etc.) in 2.0 and the PGE engine, in addition to new blocks, NPCs, and characters that are actually built in

lotus006
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby lotus006 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:28 am

PixelPest wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote:
PixelPest wrote: I think the big thing now is SMBX 1.3.0.1 + LunaLua now. Since a lot of people have issues installing it though, you can just install this and not use the new features (characters and Starman) since they're a little glitchy, since it comes with LunaLua built in. After the next update comes, PGE and SMBX 2.0 will be the thing. Horikawa has stated that SMBX 1.3.0.1 (the Legacy Editor) isn't active by default since PGE will have its engine working, so it's probably best to download 2.0 Beta so you can get used to PGE
From what I've seen I'm pretty sure everything is compatible (levels, physics, Lua, etc.) in 2.0 and the PGE engine, in addition to new blocks, NPCs, and characters that are actually built in
One thing I'm scared about lost Legacy editor after the new update, if we lost the legacy editor we will not can anymore play live in the editor when modify level seamless than PGE built in editor ? we will need to launch the normal engine each time ? that will be a shame :(

I know PGE start to approach the same quality of playability in testing level but there is a percentage of almost the same as the legacy ?

Lyrin
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Lyrin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:51 am

lotus006 wrote:One thing I'm scared about lost Legacy editor after the new update, if we lost the legacy editor we will not can anymore play live in the editor when modify level seamless than PGE built in editor ? we will need to launch the normal engine each time ? that will be a shame :(

I know PGE start to approach the same quality of playability in testing level but there is a percentage of almost the same as the legacy ?
PixelPest wrote:After the next update comes, PGE and SMBX 2.0 will be the thing. Horikawa has stated that SMBX 1.3.0.1 (the Legacy Editor) isn't active by default since PGE will have its engine working, so it's probably best to download 2.0 Beta so you can get used to PGE
this literally means PGE will have the SMBX level editor testing engine
I frequent IRC, so if I'm needed just go there!
[18:23:21] <Reflet> and image loaded
[18:23:24] <Reflet> is that...
[18:23:31] <Reflet> a uh
[18:23:35] <Reflet> sandwich?
[18:24:25] <Lyrin> what
[18:25:10] <Reflet> it looks like they're fucking a sandwich
[18:25:17] <Reflet> or a taco

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:08 am

Lyrin wrote:
lotus006 wrote:One thing I'm scared about lost Legacy editor after the new update, if we lost the legacy editor we will not can anymore play live in the editor when modify level seamless than PGE built in editor ? we will need to launch the normal engine each time ? that will be a shame :(

PixelPest wrote:After the next update comes, PGE and SMBX 2.0 will be the thing. Horikawa has stated that SMBX 1.3.0.1 (the Legacy Editor) isn't active by default since PGE will have its engine working, so it's probably best to download 2.0 Beta so you can get used to PGE
this literally means PGE will have the SMBX level editor testing engine
Well, the same capabilities, but I'm pretty sure that it's built and configured as its own engine

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:20 am

PixelPest wrote: Well, the same capabilities, but I'm pretty sure that it's built and configured as its own engine
You're not quite correct. The PGE Engine is a thing, and it is an engine built from the ground up, but it's nowhere near ready for release.

What will be released in 2.0 is a way of running the SMBX engine directly from PGE, so you don't have to have the legacy editor open in order to test levels.

CristiX56
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: Extreme Boss Rush

Postby CristiX56 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:57 am

Questions: Will there be more npcs (except angry sun and magikoopa) or any bosses,New Powerups? (frog suit or somethin)?
I dont know what PGE Editor can do...
Someone can fix the dayum errors that i have at SMBX 2.0 Extract?
(Errors start,after 3 minutes IT GOES AT 4000!!!!?? AND MUCH MORE) as i see PGE FILES,Textures,and others may be the problem since when i downloaded latest version of SMBX 1.3 i havent having this errors,someone must fix it,maybe in next BETA
New in Smbx,Pro on level editor
Current Progress:
Extreme Boss Rush
Mario Badest nightmare
Luigi Strikes back! (inspired by Toad Strikes Back)
I dont have a last one Choose one : Wart Takeover or Koopalings for the Past and Future

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:08 am

CristiX56 wrote:Questions: Will there be more npcs (except angry sun and magikoopa) or any bosses,New Powerups? (frog suit or somethin)?
The NPC question has been answered before on this page or the previous. Powerups are none of our concern right now.
(Errors start,after 3 minutes IT GOES AT 4000!!!!?? AND MUCH MORE) as i see PGE FILES,Textures,and others may be the problem since when i downloaded latest version of SMBX 1.3 i havent having this errors,someone must fix it,maybe in next BETA
What software do you use to extract 2.0?
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: 狐エンジニア
Current Project: Moondust (PGE Project)
Chat Username: Wohlstand#4881

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:46 am

CristiX56 wrote:Questions: Will there be more npcs (except angry sun and magikoopa) or any bosses,New Powerups? (frog suit or somethin)?
(Errors start,after 3 minutes IT GOES AT 4000!!!!?? AND MUCH MORE) as i see PGE FILES,Textures,and others may be the problem since when i downloaded latest version of SMBX 1.3 i haven't having this errors,someone must fix it,maybe in next BETA
PGE Editor can do much more than original SMBX Editor:
- Multi-selection (like most of regular vector graphical editors)
- History manager (undo/redo your recent actions)
- Clipboard! (you can copy/cut/paste sets of elements)
- Various styles of placing: Brush (like in original SMBX Editor), Line, Circle, Rectangle, Flood-filling. Also overwriting mode which allows you to replace collided elements
- Multi-document interface which allows you to open multiple files at same time
- Ability to save any older file formats (to play same files on old SMBX versions)
- Many useful automatization things such a remover of junk duplicated vine NPC's which are resulted because bug of original SMBX Editor, automatic fixer of lazily-made masks, etc.
- Zoom in/out
- Latest versions are has a grid support
- Safe flood-filling not only blocks: BGO's and almost any world map elements. (If you accidentally filled open space, filling process will be aborted after 4 seconds (to don't crash because memory overflow), and you just can undo your mistake and try again)
- Debugger has customizable counter of elements, and it showing more detailed info about elements. Also works for world map!
- PGE Editor allows placing unlimited elements, and it will warn you when you will save SMBX-64 file format about limit exiting rather crashing like SMBX Editor.
- Has no dumb bugs such a world map editing bug with custom sceneries
- Supports exporting of the huge images from your levels and world maps
- All created warps are shown in special list, and you can jump between placed points
- Right mouse button results a context menu with a lot of features needed in editing process (some properties)
And many other things you will found just while digging a menus, tool-boxes, tool-bars, and big manual which contains description of every feature in the PGE Editor
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

kojimkj
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Idk

Postby kojimkj » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:01 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
(Errors start,after 3 minutes IT GOES AT 4000!!!!?? AND MUCH MORE) as i see PGE FILES,Textures,and others may be the problem since when i downloaded latest version of SMBX 1.3 i haven't having this errors,someone must fix it,maybe in next BETA
- Rest
For me PGE is better than SMBX normal editor, I joined SMBX.org some time ago, but before that, I played SMBX for a long time.

AND I'M TIRED OF LEVEL EDITING CRASHES

now has computer :)

My GFXs:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

cool gif by snessy the duck

Mario_and_Luigi_55
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Super Mario Bros Adventure

Postby Mario_and_Luigi_55 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:05 pm

kojimkj wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:
- Rest
For me PGE is better than SMBX normal editor, I joined SMBX.org some time ago, but before that, I played SMBX for a long time.

AND I'M TIRED OF LEVEL EDITING CRASHES
Well, it's preety annoying if SMBX crashes because you replaced random scenery and you're trying to save the map :|. Everyone is tired of that. And probably that's why PGE exists

My best levels:
Goomba Lands - 5/10
Stars of the trees - 5.5/10
Koopa Cave - 3.42
Green Grass Hill - 3.42
Grassy Valley - 5.47

Anthony Valle
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: Legend of the Golden Shrooms

Postby Anthony Valle » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:55 pm

I guess SMBX 2.0 update will be ready in sometime in July or August or at the end of June, depending on the time it takes to be done. But in the next release and future releases everything will be much easier, that to place npcs, characters and i guess some other functions, lua is not required, excellent work Horikawa Otane!
All of you have a happy day, Ok.
Read your bible everyday guys!
I support SMBX 1.3.0.1
I support Platformer Game Engine (PGE) by Wolhstand
I support Lunalua by Kevsoft
I support SMBX 2.0 by Horikawa Otane

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Projects In support:

Geometry Dash profile:

Clash of Clans profile:

Return to “Events and Announcements”