SMBX 2.0 Open Beta

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.
Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: SMBX 2.0 Open Beta

Postby Horikawa Otane » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:31 pm

TheDinoKing432 wrote:
lotus006 wrote:
Pseudo-dino wrote: ^
There is no release date set or announced as of this moment.
it was announced for the last tuesday (not this week but the one before) 1 week earlier but postponed...
but probably this month it should :P , if all will be good, and on when Horikawa Otane will decide :D only her know :P
I'll probably say the update will happen today.
Update won't be happening today, but we're finalizing the last bits of it. I plan to work on it a bunch on Saturday. Really, it depends on what other people are willing to help me out with. I've only got a couple things left that need doing, but if I need to do them myself, it'll take extra time since I also have a lot of other work to do. I don't want to use Red or Kev's time since they're doing more important LunaLua stuff than that (you can thank Red for the awesome PGE testing mode, for example), but other peeps don't seem as interested, so it might just be me.

Anyway, the beta update will be happening, but it's just a matter of when I get around to finishing the two or so major other things I need to do before release.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab

Postby underFlo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:37 pm

NopeNotHappening wrote:
TheDinoKing432 wrote:
lotus006 wrote: it was announced for the last tuesday (not this week but the one before) 1 week earlier but postponed...
but probably this month it should :P , if all will be good, and on when Horikawa Otane will decide :D only her know :P
I'll probably say the update will happen today.
Dumbest thing I've read.
It's been said for WEEKS that "update will come tomorrow".
It won't come out. Ever. It's not even that interesting. Calling this "2.0" is a joke. It's more like a 1.4, AT BEST.
The entire thing should have been written from scratch. This is a joke of a project. Pointless and crap and it's most likely never going to be released anyways.
at least you got the date right this time
im a girl yo

Willhart
Banned

Postby Willhart » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:05 pm

Yeah. I spoke too soon earlier. Sorry about that. The new additions have been really nice though.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Postby Hoeloe » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:20 pm

I feel really guilty about how little I've been able to contribute recently. I'm at a combination of lack of time, energy, and motivation at the moment, which is making it really hard to get anything meaningful done. I hope this will improve in the next few weeks but I really don't know.

Quantix
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantix » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:01 pm

So I've returned from a vacation, and it would appear that I haven't missed anything. Thank God.
viewtopic.php?f=69&p=286856#p286855

Generic Quote Collection:
Spoiler: show
Skant wrote:The egg will fuck you if you don't catch it
rockythechao wrote:f6 is an over-the-counter generic run-of-the-mill store-brand bootleg knockoff f5
some people wrote:The021stYoshiFromThe021stCentury: Who would win, a tophat wearing a tophat, or hoeloe wearing hoeloe?
Hoeloe: yes
glitch4: f6
rockythecomet: that's a trick question
rockythecomet: a top hat wearing a hoeloe
Waffles & Stuff (timocomlita) wrote:No matter what you do, it's impossible to get rid of the impossible.
Petrifying wrote:Piss off with your sex doll SMBX 2.0
Enjl wrote:it puts a twist on classic 4 step level design which i like to call "2 and a half steps backwards design"

Anthony Valle
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Anthony Valle » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:03 pm

Don't worry Horikawa Otane, take your time on the beta update, we'll be waiting...
Read your bible everyday guys!
I support SMBX 1.3.0.1
I support Platformer Game Engine (PGE) by Wolhstand
I support Lunalua by Kevsoft
I support SMBX 2.0 by Horikawa Otane

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Projects In support:

Geometry Dash profile:

Clash of Clans profile:

ArduinoPlatypus
Spiny
Spiny

Postby ArduinoPlatypus » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:58 am

Yeah, I'm waiting for the update to start my first "episode" but there's no need to hurry.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:34 am

Anthony Valle wrote:Don't worry Horikawa Otane, take your time on the beta update, we'll be waiting...
It's going through a lot of testing. There's been a lot of activity on it lately. But even though it's a beta, I don't want to release anything incomplete or broken. Like some character things just don't work or are incomplete. I'm waiting on some things from Hoeloe and arabsalmon/ohmato, but I've also just been FLOODED lately, so I've had to take almost the whole weekend off from working on 2.0

I'm hoping????? to get back to it later this week and finish off the two or three things I personally need to do before we can release.

awesome_gamer
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby awesome_gamer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:07 am

How do you get the new NPCs, blocks, and stuff? I get the launcher and just features from 1.3.0.1.

lotus006
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby lotus006 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:58 am

awesome_gamer wrote:How do you get the new NPCs, blocks, and stuff? I get the launcher and just features from 1.3.0.1.
you need to wait the update of the 2.0, it's not out yet :(
or else if you are a god of lua like Kevsoft or Horikawa Otane or Red you can create yourself :P

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:00 am

awesome_gamer wrote:How do you get the new NPCs, blocks, and stuff? I get the launcher and just features from 1.3.0.1.
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 87&t=12546

migueeel
Rex
Rex

Postby migueeel » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:48 pm

So, as release dates are as trustworthy as an aircraft carrier on batteries, can we get a progress in %? xD
I was there when Link was added, SMBX 2 was announced (it was a joke, including stuff that you'd play as Redigit, you'd have to pay for it, etc), when those two admins banned like half the community...

I'm using the same avatar as back then.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:52 pm

migueeel wrote:So, as release dates are as trustworthy as an aircraft carrier on batteries, can we get a progress in %? xD
Patience %

Mable
Peach
Peach

Postby Mable » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:28 pm

Idk asking for progress in % is lacking patience. Ohhhh you mean the part with the aircraft? I saw much worse things them that.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:23 pm

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:To whom it may concern,

Could you make it so that whenever SMBX shows a layer with a large sprite swap, the game doesn't freeze for a second and end up skipping frames to catch up? Edit: even SMBX 1.3 doesn't do that. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Imaynotbehere4long.
Can you provide an example? Zip up a level and post it on mega and I'll take a look.
Did you ever find a solution for this? I ask because I ran into another problem that SMBX 1.3 doesn't have:
Seriously, what are the benefits of OpenGL? Aside from PNG support and better transparencies, I've only encountered problems with it.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:48 am

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:To whom it may concern,

Could you make it so that whenever SMBX shows a layer with a large sprite swap, the game doesn't freeze for a second and end up skipping frames to catch up? Edit: even SMBX 1.3 doesn't do that. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Imaynotbehere4long.
Can you provide an example? Zip up a level and post it on mega and I'll take a look.
Did you ever find a solution for this? I ask because I ran into another problem that SMBX 1.3 doesn't have:
Seriously, what are the benefits of OpenGL? Aside from PNG support and better transparencies, I've only encountered problems with it.
To the end user, the major benefits are: substantial performance improvements, better hooking for recording software. For the level designer, the benefits include: access to an enormous, and growing, suite of LunaLua functions that allow complex 3d objects, screen filters, particles, and 2d/3d texture manipulation.

There's like literally hundreds of advantages to the OpenGL renderer. No reason for me to go through them all here, but yeah - it's not just one or two things. There is a 0% chance of us moving back.

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:49 am

migueeel wrote:So, as release dates are as trustworthy as an aircraft carrier on batteries, can we get a progress in %? xD
Uhh, close. I'm waiting on one more thing and I have two medium-sized things to write (that I may get to on Sunday or Monday). Then I can release the next beta version.

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:54 am

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Uhh, close. I'm waiting on one more thing and I have two medium-sized things to write (that I may get to on Sunday or Monday). Then I can release the next beta version.
FINALLY! I'm super excited for the next update!
My Project: Coming Soon!
I support
ImageImage Image

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:27 pm

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:
To the end user, the major benefits are: substantial performance improvements, better hooking for recording software. For the level designer, the benefits include: access to an enormous, and growing, suite of LunaLua functions that allow complex 3d objects, screen filters, particles, and 2d/3d texture manipulation.

There's like literally hundreds of advantages to the OpenGL renderer. No reason for me to go through them all here, but yeah - it's not just one or two things. There is a 0% chance of us moving back.
Well, can the "out of memory" bug and large sprite-swap frameskipping be fixed? I want my levels to work in 1.3 as well as LunaLua, as there's still quite a few users who can't (or don't want to) use Lua. Plus, I see no reason why stuff that works in 1.3 can't work in Lua.

Is it at least possible to add a Lua code to make SMBX go back to the old rendering method (similar to what you did for Psychedelic Magnificent Waluigi), just so those types of levels will still work?
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote: Did you ever find a solution for this? I ask because I ran into another problem that SMBX 1.3 doesn't have:

Well, can the "out of memory" bug and large sprite-swap frameskipping be fixed? I want my levels to work in 1.3 as well as LunaLua, as there's still quite a few users who can't (or don't want to) use Lua. Plus, I see no reason why stuff that works in 1.3 can't work in Lua.

Is it at least possible to add a Lua code to make SMBX go back to the old rendering method (similar to what you did for Psychedelic Magnificent Waluigi), just so those types of levels will still work?
1) That fix for Pscyhadelic Magnificent Waluigi isn't actually done yet
2) The 'fix' you propose isn't really possible
3) Even if it was, peeps prefer stable framerates, substantially better performance, and easy video hooking for programs like OBS and Dxtory on levels that don't use LunaLua - you won't get that through a software renderer.

The problem you're having is one of two things.

1) You're loading a png file (specifically a png file) greater than the max resolution your video card can support. Look around and see if you're loading some huge png - convert it to a gif w/ mask and it should fix this. This is a known bug that will be fixed eventually. I'd say this is the most likely situation.

2) There's a problem with your video card - probably a fundamental hardware issue where your video card is borked. Or maybe just your drivers are having issues. I'd recommend a clean reinstall of the drivers first to see if it helps. Then, my recommendation would be to put your video card through some serious tests to see if it's broken. Download furmark and run it for awhile - see if you bluescreen.

If it's number 2, We're not going to severely cripple SMBX 2.0 so that one random computer setup out there with what sounds like a broken piece of computer hardware can run it. My copy of 2.0 recently had serious issues where it would only start when my controller was unplugged. I talked to Kev and Red about it and they helped me figure out that the problem was somehow on my computer's end. So rather than them making a weirdo workaround for this specific weirdo case, I poked around, reinstalled my Xbox One controller drivers, and now it works fine. So this isn't us picking on you - it's really just pragmatism.

Return to “Events and Announcements”