Game Concept Thread

The popular forum game that separates the good from the bad, the strong from the weak, and the loose-cannon cops from the slightly schizophrenic. That's all after we figure out who's who, of course.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: Game Concept Thread

Postby Unidentified » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:32 pm

You could try to add an extra special or buff Alucard's ability

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Though i thought you were talking about my game, do you think that it looks balanced?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

Cancelled...but not forgotten...

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

Megar
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Megar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:16 am

Buffed Alucard and adjusted flavour text, keep it coming
disgusting

Megar
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Megar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:13 am

Added new roles!!
disgusting

loop13
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: I mainly play Celeste nowadays
Current Project: failing English IV
Chat Username: loop13uh

Postby loop13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Honestly Megar, I really like your game. It is very innovative with Richter with the cardflipping red if striking an ally.
Hello, I make a lot of typos
specific people know my whereabouts though

my wifi is as useful as a brick

im more active on discord

:idea: I'm not (completely) dead; I rarely talk because I usually have nothin to say; I'll talk when I actually have a comment I want to make, or if someone asks me somethin...

nostalgia is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

anything before 2020 is most likely me being a weirdo or an idiot.

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?

Postby Mosaic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Maybe i shouldn't say this, but why does everyone have to ignore my game? Feedback is all i ask, even a "looks good" would be okay.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:04 pm

MosaicMario wrote:Maybe i shouldn't say this, but why does everyone have to ignore my game? Feedback is all i ask, even a "looks good" would be okay.
I could have swore I already gave a pretty simple review, but the heart mechanic and digging mechanic will really slow the game down unnecessarily. It kind of butchers the concept of Mafia slightly for the sake of a damage system and weird item system, and it seems fairly unbalanced. Also, having random chance in a game of Mafia is usually turned down for the sake of being rather sporadic and giving a lack of certainty.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Mosaic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Danny wrote:I could have swore I already gave a pretty simple review, but the heart mechanic and digging mechanic will really slow the game down unnecessarily. It kind of butchers the concept of Mafia slightly for the sake of a damage system and weird item system, and it seems fairly unbalanced.
How so?
Danny wrote: Also, having random chance in a game of Mafia is usually turned down for the sake of being rather sporadic and giving a lack of certainty.
It's been done before though.

And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:23 pm

MosaicMario wrote:
Danny wrote:I could have swore I already gave a pretty simple review, but the heart mechanic and digging mechanic will really slow the game down unnecessarily. It kind of butchers the concept of Mafia slightly for the sake of a damage system and weird item system, and it seems fairly unbalanced.
How so?
It requires multiple day/night cycles to get anywhere significant, where typical Mafia games only require one.
MosaicMario wrote:
Danny wrote: Also, having random chance in a game of Mafia is usually turned down for the sake of being rather sporadic and giving a lack of certainty.
It has, but that doesn't mean it's good.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Mosaic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Danny wrote:
MosaicMario wrote:
How so?
It requires multiple day/night cycles to get anywhere significant, where typical Mafia games only require one.
MosaicMario wrote:
It has, but that doesn't mean it's good.
Maybe i didn't explain in enough detail, but the heroes do get a collaborative nightkill ALONG with taking away hearts, they don't need items to do so either. also, lynching does still happen, it does still have the regular things that get the game moving, could you explain what slows it down?

And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:02 am

MosaicMario wrote:M??: The 8-Bits Take Over Subcon

Cardflip
19 Players
New Heart Mechanic
Lynching is Mandatory
Role Usage is Optional
Each player can go digging in a garden for an item each night(more info below)

After having had saved Subcon, the land of dreams from wart awhile back, Mario, Luigi, Peach, And Toad decide to pay subcon a visit, only to find that Wart has returned and has taken it over! They realize that to save Subcon once again, they’ll need to collaborate to take out members of the 8-bits one by one to get subcon back. But it seems that Wart won’t be handing it Back so easily. Meanwhile, a lone subcon tries to get subcon back to normal themselves, while also looking for help.

The Heroes
The Heroes get a collaborative nightkill, along with that they can also each attack another of the 8-bits each night, taking a heart from them under most circumstances

Mario: starts with 5 hearts, can check how many hearts a player has left each night. However, that player will be alerted that they were inspected.
Luigi: Mario’s brother, twice in the game he can go on to alert so that anyone that seeks to attack him, he’ll grab their projectile and throw it back at them, inflicting the damage on them that he would have originally taken.
Peach: She can distract a member of the 8-bits each night, disabling their ability.
Toad: Twice in the game, during either day or night, can switch out the next Subspace Mushroom a player picks up for a poison mushroom which will cause whoever picks it up to lose a heart rather than get their health extended and fully restored.

The 8-Bits

Wart: Starts with 5 Hearts, is able to shoot bubbles at a player each night, taking away two of their hearts, if a vegetable is thrown at him on a night his mouth is open, he loses a heart.
Mouser: Can give a player a bomb each night.
Tryclyde: Thanks to having three heads, they can watch a player and learn who visited them each night.
Inspector Guy: Can Inspect a player each night to learn their color.
Mystic Ninji: every other night, he can give someone a subspace potion.
Shopkeeping Ninji: Can hide someone inside their shop each night, protecting them from harm and abilities that
night phase. Once in the game, they can lock all ways in to protect themselves from any kind of interaction with others. They start with 3 veggies,
but each time they protect someone, they must give them one of their veggies or other items.
Shy Guy: Regular Townie, each start with one veggie
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Nice Guy: Acts a bit too nice for being one the bad side so they flip as blue. Thinks their a regular shy guy.
Beezo: Could be mistaken for a subcon, so flips as Gold. Knows they are the Beezo.

Third Party

Subcon:
They are able to attack someone each night, taking away a heart. If any of the heroes target them, they’ll be recruited on the side of the Heroes. They can alternately inspect someone. They start with 4 Hearts.

Win Condtions
The Heroes: have an equal, or higher amount of heroes left than 8-bits and win alongside the third party.
The 8-Bits: Eliminate all the heroes and the Third party
Third Party: Win alongside the heroes or by being the last player standing.

Game Mechanics
Spoiler: show
Heart Mechanic
Each player starts the game with three hearts(with a few expections), the way it works is that you’ll be notified on how many hearts you lost at the end of a night phase. If a player has one heart left, their lynch vote won’t count, if their heart count reaches 0, then they die. They can pick up a subspace mushroom to fully restore their hearts and increase their maximum hearts by one. The max number of hearts is 5.

Digging Mechanic
Each night, all players can choose to go digging in a garden, with several different outcomes, this is the chance of each outcome:
Finds a veggie – 65%
Finds a bomb – 20%
Finds a Heart – 10%
Finds a Subspace Potion – 5%
Items
Subspace Potion
Sends you to subspace.

Subspace Mushroom
You’ll grab this while in subspace and gain one extra heart in max capacity and have your health fully replenished.

Bomb
You can blast a player with this, taking away two hearts.

Veggie
You can throw this at a player, taking a heart from them.

Heart
Replenishes a heart point
Personally, I like the concept and would love every to try it. I do not like the probability however. If the items were better done, this would be perfect. Also, nice way to make the town the bad guys like Waddle Derp did in the game he hosted. (As the Mafia and even third party are good guys.)

ImageImageImage

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Mario & Luigi: Quest of Fear

Re: Game Concept: Terror is in Every Corner.

Postby Witchking666 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

M39+ Terror is in every corner

In a desert far away there are a group of Terrorists. After their government fell they took control of the land. They have been forcing the locals to follow their rediculously strict religious rules at the punishment of death. The military was sent to resolve the conflict. However, something weird started happening. Even though the number of terrorists dropped rapidly, it seemed like the number of kills only became higher. Eventually the military figured out what was going on. An unknown warlord was recruiting people and using them to take control of the land himself. The soldiers, now trapped in two armed conflicts suddely had to deal with an even bigger threat to their lives.

Terrorists
-Captor: Can take someone hostage every night, roleblocking and inspecting them at the same time. Can only do this on the same player once.
-Suicide bomber: Can kill someone in a suicide attack once during the game. If someone is protecting the targetted player at night they will die too.
-Sadist: May use extreme violence on the mafia's kill victim twice throughout the game. Making them cardflip Black.
-Propagandist: May broadcast a message through the host every night. The message is indistinguishable from the journalist's.

The Military:
-General: May perform one of the following abilities every night: Inspect, Protect, Kill and Roleblock. They cannot use the same ability twice in a row. Due to their high rank the general has a unique cardflip colour.
-Spy: Can use a drone to find out someone’s cardflip colour every night.
-Journalist: May broadcast a message through the host every night. The message is indistinguishable from the Propagandist’s.
-Rogue: Can kill someone without authorization every night, if they kill an innocent, they will lose their ability and cardflip red for a single night.
-Medic: May visit another player every night. Protecting them from death.
-Dissector: Can anatomize a dead player and learn their exact role every other night.
-Executioner: May once during the game either cancel the lynch or host a second one.
-Corporal: Lynch vote counts double.
-Soldier: Nothing special, can cast a lynch vote.
-Soldier:
-Soldier:
-Soldier:
-Soldier:
-Hated Soldier: A Soldier with a bad reputation. Thinks he is a regular soldier
-Outsider: A Soldier from a different unit, the other soldiers don’t trust him that much. Thinks he is a regular soldier.

Third Party:
-Warlord: May kill a player every night. If for some reason or another the kill attempt fails the target’s alignment and cardflip colour will be changed into that of the Warlord. The Warlord’s recruits will keep any ability they had before their conversion except for the the Sadist and the medic, they will lose their abilities. The General is immune to conversion by the Warlord. The Warlord cannot be nightkilled by anyone but the suicide bomber. The Warlord and his recruits win by being the last man/men standing or by outnumbering the town.
Additional Information: show
*All ability usage is optional
*If someone gets roleblocked they will be notified.
*If a kill attempt failed it will be announced to the public even if the failed kill attempt resulted in conversion by the warlord.
Role-specific information: show
*The Suicide Bomber's kill cannot be stopped by any means. Not even by nightkill immunity.
*The Propagandist and the Journalist's message can only contain up to 250 characters long and cannot contain fake death messages.
*The General cannot self-protect.
*The Medic can self-protect.
*If the executioner decides to host a second lynch the day will be extended by 12 hours, after that the night will go on as usual.
*Although unlikely, if the Suicide bomber and the Warlord target the same player while that player is protected. The Suicide Bomber's kill will be prioritized over the warlord's recruitment.

I made this game together with ShadowstarX. Feedback and critisism is, as always, greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Witchking666 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:26 am, edited 7 times in total.
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.
Bill Hicks.

Check out my stuff:
Image.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Current Project: The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Wait I forgot to ask this in private before but why are the Journalist and the Propagandist one-time use abilities if I may ask? They're usually able to do stuff every night.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Shadow Yoshi, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"A serious joke question" - MECHDRAGON777, 2020

My Project - The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:33 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:Wait I forgot to ask this in private before but why are the Journalist and the Propagandist one-time use abilities if I may ask? They're usually able to do stuff every night.
This is to prevent clutter in the phase change messages. Would you advice me to make them able to do it every night instead?
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.
Bill Hicks.

Check out my stuff:
Image.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:36 pm

witchking666 wrote:
ShadowStarX wrote:Wait I forgot to ask this in private before but why are the Journalist and the Propagandist one-time use abilities if I may ask? They're usually able to do stuff every night.
This is to prevent clutter in the phase change messages. Would you advice me to make them able to do it every night instead?
Yes, they usually have the ability every phase change.

ImageImageImage

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:44 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
witchking666 wrote:
Should I lower the character limit to 100 then?
Bill Hicks.

Check out my stuff:
Image.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:00 pm

witchking666 wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
witchking666 wrote: This is to prevent clutter in the phase change messages. Would you advice me to make them able to do it every night instead?
Should I lower the character limit to 100 then?
The current game uses 250, and that is still a bit hard to use. You should know what I am talking about, look at the night two phase change and look at how that uses around 240-250 characters with a 250 limmit. 100 is not enough. Also, on Youtube messages during live streams, I rarely stay under 100 characters myself. So yeah, limmit should be more than 100, but should be there or you may get a book during a phase change. If I was the Journalist, I may end up writing five paragraphs, haha.

ImageImageImage

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Mosaic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:44 pm

I'd really like you to respond, but which should i submit in the M39/40 Host signups? The Subcon one, Ace Attorney one(Plan on overhauling it to make it actually fun), or Slime one?

And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels

Rhosty
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: squid kid
Current Project: waiting on nintendo switch
Chat Username: Koopastea #8422

Postby Rhosty » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:12 pm

MosaicMario wrote:I'd really like you to respond, but which should i submit in the M39/40 Host signups? The Subcon one, Ace Attorney one(Plan on overhauling it to make it actually fun), or Slime one?
The Subcon one seems to interest me the most.

loop13
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: I mainly play Celeste nowadays
Current Project: failing English IV
Chat Username: loop13uh

Postby loop13 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:32 pm

practicalshorty014 wrote:
MosaicMario wrote:I'd really like you to respond, but which should i submit in the M39/40 Host signups? The Subcon one, Ace Attorney one(Plan on overhauling it to make it actually fun), or Slime one?
The Subcon one seems to interest me the most.
This. Nuff said.
Hello, I make a lot of typos
specific people know my whereabouts though

my wifi is as useful as a brick

im more active on discord

:idea: I'm not (completely) dead; I rarely talk because I usually have nothin to say; I'll talk when I actually have a comment I want to make, or if someone asks me somethin...

nostalgia is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

anything before 2020 is most likely me being a weirdo or an idiot.

Return to “Mafia”