Game Concept Thread

The popular forum game that separates the good from the bad, the strong from the weak, and the loose-cannon cops from the slightly schizophrenic. That's all after we figure out who's who, of course.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Doesntpostverymuch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: Resting
Chat Username: Doesntpostverymuch

Re: Game Concept Thread

Postby Doesntpostverymuch » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:21 pm

i'm still coming up with a better game then the one involving flour.
i'm not very good at level design, please be specfic and tolerant of my ingorance.
Spinda wrote:by honestly I mean honestly
Try to guess what this next one means out of context
Supershroom wrote:Yeah, let's not please push on it this hard and then we'll get it hopefully.
Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
TLtimelord wrote:"Cunt" was a bit aggressive, my bad
thehelmetguy1 wrote:
MosaicMario wrote:People may as well stop submitting since this game's going to win either way.
I made the next one by accident
PixelPest wrote:Have you actually looked at how long
Witchking666 wrote:Ooh werewolves!
Approved!
I am highly autistic and get into misunderstandings easily. I also have ADHD.

What are you doing still looking at my post? scroll down to the next one!

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:23 pm

OK here is a new game that I came up with:

M36: Dog Almighty
-Cardflip
-Ballot Box voting

Mafia Dogs
Wolf: Can kill one dog per night
Defensive Dog: Can cover up the death of a dog by the wolf, making that death not announced
Stealthy Dog: Once per game, can target one of his teammates to relieve them of any lynch votes. These are then divided placed any other random dogs in any opposing team
Dog?: Cardflips green when inspected or killed. Also, lynch votes made by this dog count as 2

Friendly Dogs
Guard Dog: Can protect 1 dog per night
Sniffer Dog: Can inspect 1 dog per night
Young Sniffer: Will become the Sniffer Dog if the Sniffer Dog is killed
Bone Dog: Possesses the power bone and can use it kill a dog on the first night. After night 1, passes it to the first dog that visits him and becomes a regular dog
Dog: Just a normal dog
Dog
Dog
Dog
Dog
Dog
Dog

Independant Dog
Greyhound: Immune to nightkills and can kill any one dog that visits him on the following night. He is the only dog who is aware of who visited him. Wins by being the last dog remaining

Items:
Power Bone: The dog that possesses this can kill another dog on the night it has it. After that night, the first dog that visits him the following day will obtain it. Cannot be used after the first night of possession, even if he did not use it

Notes:
  • If you visit a dog during a day, you won't be allowed to visit another dog the day after
  • If multiple dogs visit the current Bone Dog on the same day, then the first dog that chose to visit gets the bone. This is only to make the game deterministic
  • If the Stealthy Dog tries to relieve a dog with no votes on him, he will be able to try again, until he targets a dog that is voted on.
Role PM examples: show
Will be posted soon
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:16 pm

What is this obsession with dogs? Otherwise, it seems like a pretty basic game, I like the shifting vigilante mechanic with the power bone.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Paper
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Paper » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:02 pm

M#: Hot Potato

A basic Mafia game with an explosive twist.
  • 16 players
  • Regular lynching
  • Nobody knows anyone else except for the Mafia, who all know each other
  • Miller/Millwright know they're miller/millwright
  • Vig loses his ability the next night if he kills an innocent
  • Basically normal game play mechanics, except for the third party and item (after roles list)
ROLES:

Mafia:
Godfather
Mafioso
Mafioso
Mafioso
Outnumber the town and kill the third party.

Town:
Sheriff
Vigilante
Doctor
Doublevoter
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Miller
Millwright
Kill all Mafia members and the third party.

Third Party:
Serial Bomber: Can distribute bombs (see below) to players throughout the game during any phase. Can only distribute a bomb if another bomb isn't active. Can detonate an active bomb remotely if the bomb has gone longer than 3 phases without killing someone. Can't properly kill on his own, but can't be night-killed either.
You're the last one, complete the mission. Be the only one left.

ITEM:

Bomb: If someone is in possession of a bomb, when it detonates, them and anyone who visits them will die, (unless the doctor saves them, then only the doctor will die). The person receiving the bomb WILL be alerted that they've received one the following phase, and has that phase to give it to another person before they explode. Hence, "Hot Potato." The person giving the bomb won't be disclosed to the receiver.
Bombs will detonate IF:
  • The one possessing the bomb doesn't give it to someone else.
  • The one possessing the bomb is killed.
  • The Serial Bomber detonates it himself.
One thing I can't decide is whether or not the bomber should know to whom his bombs are being passed around to.
Steam:
Spoiler: show
YouTube Channel: Twitch Channel:

Electriking

Postby Electriking » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:26 am

Syndrilevosse wrote:What is this obsession with dogs?
It is supposed to be a game where you play as dogs.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Inspired by a discussion on page 5/6 of the Mafia 35 thread...

Mafia 36+: Democracy Now!
Cardflip - 17 players

The Mafia
Godfather
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia

The Town
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Miller

- This game lacks blue roles. Instead, each night, the players vote for two players via ballot box: one to save, as if they were protected by the doctor, and one to inspect, revealing that player's color to the entire game at the beginning of the next day. These votes can be faked in the thread, and the mafia is allowed to vote as well.
- Lynching works as usual.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Pseudo wrote:Inspired by a discussion on page 5/6 of the Mafia 35 thread...

Cardflip - 17 players

The Mafia
Godfather
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia

The Town
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Miller

- This game lacks blue roles. Instead, each night, the players vote for two players via ballot box: one to save, as if they were protected by the doctor, and one to inspect, revealing that player's color to the entire game at the beginning of the next day. These votes can be faked in the thread, and the mafia is allowed to vote as well.
That is a great game, I can not believe one plan I had turned into a good game that you made...

ImageImageImage

Electriking

Postby Electriking » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Cardflip - 17 players

The Mafia
Godfather
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia

The Town
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Miller

Ooh that is a nice concept :)

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: I've defeated humor

Postby Sancles-Chan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Cardflip - 17 players

The Mafia
Godfather
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia

The Town
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Townsperson
Miller

I feel like the godfather role would be slightly overpowered in this game especially
I go by She/Her for everyone.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:57 pm

^
Maybe the Godfather could show up as red when inspected then?

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: I've defeated humor

Postby Sancles-Chan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:58 pm

yeah that could be a balance factor.
I go by She/Her for everyone.

Paper
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Paper » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Pretty dope game idea Psuedo. It's kinda bare bones for what it is, but since it uses an unfamiliar mechanic, it might have to be that way to introduce players to it for the first time. Nice work!

Speaking of unfamiliar mechanics, anyone care to critique my Hot Potato Mafia game?
Steam:
YouTube Channel: Twitch Channel:

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:09 am

PaperPlayerX wrote:Pretty dope game idea Psuedo. It's kinda bare bones for what it is, but since it uses an unfamiliar mechanic, it might have to be that way to introduce players to it for the first time. Nice work!

Speaking of unfamiliar mechanics, anyone care to critique my Hot Potato Mafia game?
I personally like your game. Not much to say on it though.

ImageImageImage

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:55 am

A little gimmicky game I was testing out to see the effects of multiple cardflip colors. This game isn't designed to confused everyone with the role colors luckily, though it will put the seer roles to good use, and should hopefully encourage teamwork since the Mafia could be any color.

The Ultimate Conspiracy
-Cardflip
-Public votes
-17 players

An underground criminal organization calling themselves the Conspirators have been planning to create the ultimate conspiracy that the town's own government dealt with the murder of their former mayor, when it was in actuality the criminal organization looking for the people to overthrow the government so they could reign over the town.

As a quick note on the cardflip mechanics of this game, if you are inspected, your color shows up as whatever your color is, or whatever it has changed to (in the case of the Stolen Identity or the Painter). But if you die, your actual color is revealed, which is the color you started the game with (as defined in the role's description).

The Conspirators
The Conspirators collaborate each night on a target they will take down (night kill). The Conspirators win if they equal or outnumber the amount of living Townsfolk, though they lose if all of their members have been killed.
  • The Stolen Identity - Cardflips black upon death. Whenever the Conspirators' successfully take down a target, your color becomes that player's color.
  • The Seductress - Cardflips purple upon death. Can seduce a player each night to reveal their role color to you.
  • The Hacker - Cardflips red upon death. Each night, you may target a player. In the following day phase, that player's lynch votes do not count.
  • The Painter - Cardflips yellow upon death. Each night, you may paint a player the color of your choice, that player's color becomes the chosen color. Color choices are purple, green, red, yellow, blue, and black. When you are killed, all living players that have been painted by you go back to their original role color.
The Townsfolk
The Townsfolk must take down the Conspirators each night one-by-one with only the aid of the overly-secretive and currently-questionable government.
  • The Agent - Cardflips blue upon death. Each night, you may choose a target to night kill, though you lose this ability for a single night if you kill a Townsfolk. Once throughout the entire game, you can forgo your night kill to come forth and reveal your role during the night. On the following day phase, all players may lynch for two targets as opposed to one.
  • The Spy - Cardflips blue upon death. During the night, you may inspect a player, revealing their color to you.
  • Witness Protection Officer - Cardflips green upon death. During the night, you may protect a player from being visited.
  • Townie - Cardflips green upon death. Each night, may visit a player to learn the names of every person that also visited that player during the same night.
  • Townie - Cardflips green upon death. Each night, may visit a player to learn the names of every person that also visited that player during the same night.
  • The Vigilante - Cardflips red upon death. Each night, you may choose a target to night kill, though you lose this ability permanently if you kill a Townsfolk.
  • Realist - Cardflips purple upon death. Your color can not be changed. In contact with the other Realist.
  • Realist - Cardflips purple upon death. Your color can not be changed. In contact with the other Realist.
  • The Estranged - Cardflips black upon death. You think you're a normal Townie, but you're not quite sure. Your color changes to the color of the person you last visited, though you are not aware of this.
  • The Whistleblower - Cardflips yellow upon death. You act as a normal Townie, however you know that you are the Whistleblower. When you die, in your death message, there is the information on a random visitation chosen from either the night you died (if you were night killed) or the previous night phase (lynched).
Note: The visitation information given to the public during the Whistleblower's death would describe each individual person that visited another person during the night. As an example:
Ex. 1 wrote:<Player 1> visited <Player 2> in the middle of the night!
or, in the case of multiple visitations to the same player:
Ex. 2 wrote:<Player 1>, <Player 2>, <Player 3>, and <Player 4> all visited <Player 5> in the middle of the night.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Doesntpostverymuch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Doesntpostverymuch » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:58 am

A concept i had was someone (an npc) had been murdered and all the rest of the players were trying to figure out who the killer is before they kill everyone
i'm not very good at level design, please be specfic and tolerant of my ingorance.
Supershroom wrote:Yeah, let's not please push on it this hard and then we'll get it hopefully.
thehelmetguy1 wrote:
MosaicMario wrote:People may as well stop submitting since this game's going to win either way.
Approved!

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Doesntpostverymuch wrote:A concept i had was someone (an npc) had been murdered and all the rest of the players were trying to figure out who the killer is before they kill everyone
I mean, that's generally the plot of Mafia in the first place?

Doesntpostverymuch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Doesntpostverymuch » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:23 pm

It's more of a mystery type thing, as in mystery novel, not mystery game.
thehelmetguy1 wrote:
Approved!

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:01 am

As a solar eclipse draws closer, the Moon Cultists set out to conquer the Sun Temple once and for all.

The game focuses on the idea that the Sun specials can use some of their abilites during the day, whereas the Moon Cultists are more night-oriented.

The Moon Cult

Moon Acolyte = Cannot be nightkilled.
Twilight Priest = Can choose one of two abilities each night: Can learn a player's color, but that player will be alerted.
Alternatively, he can block someone's role for a day.
Moon Beast = the Moon Beast can go into alert mode every other night, killing anyone who seeks to kill him.
Dark Artist = Can paint a player's color to make it look as if they are part of the Moon Cult.

The Sun Temple

Sun Acolyte = Cannot be nightkilled.
Sun Golem = Can shine his light onto a player during the day phase to reveal he is the Sun Golem.
However, at night he must recharge and is unable to speak.
Luminous Shaman = Can incinerate a person with fiery magic every night. If he kills a fellow Sun cultist or Temple
Protector, he will be unable to kill the night afterwards.
Sun Augur = Can inspect a player during the day, learning their color.
Glimmering Guard = Can protect a player for one night.
Temple Protector = No special ability. Can cast a lynch vote.
Temple Protector
Temple Protector
Temple Protector
Temple Protector
Temple Protector
Lunatic = Same as Temple Protectors, but are in contact with eachother.
Lunatic

The Followers of the Eclipse

Enchanter of the Eclipse = Is immune to nightkills. Can kill a person every night. When he targets a Lunatic, they will become Eclipse Disciples.
Eclipse Disciples = Now part of the third party. If the Enchanter is killed, the Lunatic who was first recruited will take
his role.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:09 am

Waddle Derp wrote:Image

As a solar eclipse draws closer, the Moon Cultists set out to conquer the Sun Temple once and for all.

The game focuses on the idea that the Sun specials can use some of their abilites during the day, whereas the Moon Cultists are more night-oriented.

The Moon Cult

Twilight Priest = Can choose one of two abilities each night: Can learn a player's color, but that player will be alerted.
Moon Beast = the Moon Beast can go into alert mode every other night, killing anyone who seeks to kill him.
Dark Artist = Can paint a player's color to make it look as if they are part of the Moon Cult.

The Sun Temple

Sun Golem = Can shine his light onto a player during the day phase to reveal he is the Sun Golem.
Luminous Shaman = Can incinerate a person with fiery magic every night. If he kills a fellow Sun cultist or Temple
Temple Protector
Temple Protector
Temple Protector
Temple Protector
Temple Protector
Lunatic

Enchanter of the Eclipse = Is immune to nightkills. Can kill a person every night. When he targets a Lunatic, they will become Eclipse Disciples.
Eclipse Disciples = Now part of the third party. If the Enchanter is killed, the Lunatic who was first recruited will take
his role.
This game looks great, but it makes me fell to much like Seija, AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

ImageImageImage

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Mario & Luigi: Quest of Fear

Postby Witchking666 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Waddle Derp wrote:Image

The Moon Cult

The Sun Temple

Temple Protector
Temple Protector
Temple Protector
Temple Protector
Temple Protector
Lunatic

his role.
This shit is dope man! One thing, how long does it take for the Sun Golem to recharge?
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.
Bill Hicks.

Check out my stuff:
Image.

Return to “Mafia”