Game Concept Thread

The popular forum game that separates the good from the bad, the strong from the weak, and the loose-cannon cops from the slightly schizophrenic. That's all after we figure out who's who, of course.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Re: Game Concept Thread

Postby Mosaic » Mon May 23, 2016 6:43 pm

Mosaicmario wrote:If you are being serious, then your basically saying just because their's a meme in it it totally changes it.
SomeRandomGuy wrote:*there is, not their's, and yes, I am being serious, and if you want me to change it I will.
Not saying you have to change it, but i would prefer if you did change it to something else.

I have two ideas:

Flying/Levitating Doge
Magical Doge

Do those sound better?
Last edited by Mosaic on Mon May 23, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

Cancelled...but not forgotten...

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

SomeRandomGuy
Bit
Bit
Current Project: 404 Project Not Found

Postby SomeRandomGuy » Mon May 23, 2016 6:43 pm

Yes, I'll do that. Better now?

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?

Postby Mosaic » Mon May 23, 2016 6:46 pm

SomeRandomGuy wrote:Yes, I'll do that. Better now?
yeh

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Mon May 23, 2016 8:18 pm

SomeRandomGuy wrote:
I'd highly discourage you from using a random death mechanic for the Doge Overlord. Also, the idea of lynch immunity every two Nights doesn't seem like a very good ability since it would be automatically used. I'd recommend automatic Nightkill immunity or just changing the role completely. The Third Party roles are also an awful colour and the abilities seem kind of useless. Limiting ability usage to once every two or three Nights for more than just one person can make the game boring when few abilities are used each Night. They should also be able to kill someone every Night just to keep the game moving instead of per two. The Town roles give the Town pretty much no chance. There's no Sheriff, Vigi, or any classic roles that are really needed. Instead, all of the roles involve reviving players, but never giving players any chance to gain intel through a Sheriff role for example. This game just looks like it would be extremely boring and seems to have gotten even worse since you modified it last

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Mon May 23, 2016 8:47 pm

Also, SomeRandomGuy, you have to participate in a few Mafia games before you can host. I would recommend not bothering with posting game concepts until you've played the game.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Mon May 23, 2016 8:51 pm

Joey wrote:Also, SomeRandomGuy, you have to participate in a few Mafia games before you can host. I would recommend not bothering with posting game concepts until you've played the game.
I already mentioned that, Joey. You may not want to bug him about it since he didn't take it well the last time I told him

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Mon May 23, 2016 8:58 pm

i cant read

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Mon May 23, 2016 9:06 pm

Joey wrote:i cant read
It's okay
Last edited by PixelPest on Mon May 23, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:53 pm

My game concept gives you the ability to go right to the last level. However, by exploring the areas outside of the final level you can find equipment to make it easier to beat. Therefore allowing you to play at your own pace.

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

Spoiler: show
I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Mon May 23, 2016 9:55 pm

Artemis008 wrote:My game concept gives you the ability to go right to the last level. However, by exploring the areas outside of the final level you can find equipment to make it easier to beat. Therefore allowing you to play at your own pace.
This thread is for Mafia games, not SMBX games. It's in the Mafia subforum for a reason

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:40 am

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 80#p217356

Any thing for the game I kept trying to host for a year now?

ImageImageImage

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Tue May 24, 2016 6:38 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 80#p217356

Maybe you're not getting any feedback because you've been trying to host it for so long. You haven't really changed it much since then and it seems pretty good, so I think there just isn't any feedback left to give you and people would rather critique newer games that have little critique than an older game that's already been approved by Game Masters

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue May 24, 2016 6:39 pm

PixelPest wrote:

Maybe you're not getting any feedback because you've been trying to host it for so long. You haven't really changed it much since then and it seems pretty good, so I think there just isn't any feedback left to give you and people would rather critique newer games that have little critique than an older game that's already been approved by Game Masters
Thing is, no one votes for it, and no one in the community besides the game masters have commented on it.

ImageImageImage

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Tue May 24, 2016 7:59 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
I think people find it too complicated. Although it's a good game it seems like it would be too much of an effort to play

Hyperme
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Hyperme » Wed May 25, 2016 2:29 pm

This game has way too much going on. With up to five teams and two third party roles, it's going to be incredibly hard to track things. Most roles do at least two things, nobody knows anything, and at any point anything you do know could become useless. Also Yuyuko Saigyouji's grave ability is way to risky to use unless she knows her entire team, what with the 'friendly fire = instant loss'.

Also, I have no idea what
When Inspecting a Teammate, will appear the team color, but if inspected by someone of the wrong team, will be colored default (same for nightkills and lynches.)
means. This is probably bad. It seems like a role ability, not a rule.

More importantly, this game is going to be a nightmare to host. Yukari means you have to reassign roles. Three times. Even if you don't include dead players or use the full role list in a limited game, it's going to be a pain. It's also not the most useful of abilities, since if Yukari knows any of her team members, it's actively harmful. It also has the cult problem on steroids, where changing a player's win condition can be kind of screwy.

Time Orbs are a straight up bad idea. Phases need to last some multiple of 24 hours, since that's the only way to ensure you'll be available to administrate phase changes on time. Even three or four being used at once could completely screw up the game's schedule.

No obvious game breaking strategies jump out at me, but that's probably another effect of the complexity of the game.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:09 pm

Hyperme wrote:

This game has way too much going on. With up to five teams and two third party roles, it's going to be incredibly hard to track things. Most roles do at least two things, nobody knows anything, and at any point anything you do know could become useless. Also Yuyuko Saigyouji's grave ability is way to risky to use unless she knows her entire team, what with the 'friendly fire = instant loss'.

Also, I have no idea what
When Inspecting a Teammate, will appear the team color, but if inspected by someone of the wrong team, will be colored default (same for nightkills and lynches.)
means. This is probably bad. It seems like a role ability, not a rule.

More importantly, this game is going to be a nightmare to host. Yukari means you have to reassign roles. Three times. Even if you don't include dead players or use the full role list in a limited game, it's going to be a pain. It's also not the most useful of abilities, since if Yukari knows any of her team members, it's actively harmful. It also has the cult problem on steroids, where changing a player's win condition can be kind of screwy.

Time Orbs are a straight up bad idea. Phases need to last some multiple of 24 hours, since that's the only way to ensure you'll be available to administrate phase changes on time. Even three or four being used at once could completely screw up the game's schedule.

No obvious game breaking strategies jump out at me, but that's probably another effect of the complexity of the game.

In order:

Instant Loss means the Team uses, so she (the user) has to remember what they know as team mates, and select only users she knows are not team mates.
What you quoted is for finding team members easier. Every role that has "inspection" has that...
Yukari's ability changes role, not team.
Time Orbs' concept is from Touhou 8. I should change them to change time in either direction, right?

Does that sum up the list of issues. Thank you for doing that.

ImageImageImage

Hyperme
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Hyperme » Wed May 25, 2016 4:34 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote: In order:

Instant Loss means the Team uses, so she (the user) has to remember what they know as team mates, and select only users she knows are not team mates.
What you quoted is for finding team members easier. Every role that has "inspection" has that...
Time Orbs' concept is from Touhou 8. I should change them to change time in either direction, right?

The problem with the instant losing for killing a teammate is that the ability is only safe to use if you know all your team members. It's also not clear how the loss happens - do all of Yuyuko's teammates die, or can they just not win anymore.

Inspections always working on teammates is okay I guess, and makes things slightly less confusing.

Yukari changing roles but not teams is still a massive pain to administrate. Also it's somewhat confusing to change role, but retain your original role's win condition.

Time Orbs are bad because a sufficient amount of them can change the deadline to the middle of the night. Meaning you won't be able to do host things, which can cause issues. It's probably worth changing their effect to something like altering the lynch threshold, or providing a single use of doctor/roleblocker type powers.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:15 pm

Hyperme wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote: In order:

The problem with the instant losing for killing a teammate is that the ability is only safe to use if you know all your team members. It's also not clear how the loss happens - do all of Yuyuko's teammates die, or can they just not win anymore.

Inspections always working on teammates is okay I guess, and makes things slightly less confusing.

Yukari changing roles but not teams is still a massive pain to administrate. Also it's somewhat confusing to change role, but retain your original role's win condition.

Time Orbs are bad because a sufficient amount of them can change the deadline to the middle of the night. Meaning you won't be able to do host things, which can cause issues. It's probably worth changing their effect to something like altering the lynch threshold, or providing a single use of doctor/roleblocker type powers.
How does the role change count as confusing the players?

I do not believe I have any character role that is a "roleblocker" but I can make using a time orb allow someone to use a "limited ability" an extra time?

Also, Yuyuko's team is mostly Ghosts, Half Ghosts, and Shinigami, so that is the reason for immune to night kills. Lynches are more like banished to the Netherworld (where Yuyuko and Youmu reside). (Touhou Lore helps I guess.) (Reason why Yuyuko has that post-grave ability) and a few others do. When One of them (Team Netherworld) is lynched, they will still be considered "Dead". (I just realized how many characters relate to death, or the passing into the after life...creepy).
Youmu Konpaku - Half Ghost Gardener of Hakugyokurou
Yuyuko Saigyouji - Ability of Manipulating Death and her species is "Ghost" Lives in the Palace: Hakugyokurou
Kaguya Hourisan and Fujiwara No Mokou's Immortality
Shikieiki Yamaxanadu -
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Eiki_Shiki,_Yamaxanadu wrote:OCUPATION
Eiki is a yama who belongs to the Ministry of Right and Wrong located at Hell.[1] Although there are many yamas, Eiki is the one in charge of Gensokyo. She, like the other yamas, holds the Cleansed Crystal Mirror that lets them look into a person's past, learn anything they want to know about him/her, and then use that knowledge to make fair judgements.

Eiki does have work breaks, but even during these she doesn't pass up chances to lecture people in the hope that they will change for the better and so she won't have to send them to Hell. For people with particularly bad karma, she will go directly to that person to warn them, sometimes by exaggerating the punishment that they would receive. It's implied that youkai tend to avoid her because of this habit.

Eiki was not always the Yamaxanadu. According to Komachi in Oriental Sacred Place, she was originally a jizou statue, who received enough faith to gain divine powers, and was promoted.
Medicine Melancholy - Deals with Poisons
Komachi Onozuka - Think of the River-woman in Greek Mythology, and the Shinigami from Deathnote.
Either way, Thanks for the feed back.

ImageImageImage

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Mosaic » Wed May 25, 2016 5:20 pm

Does anyone have any feedback to give on the game I posted?

And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:27 am

MosaicMario wrote:Decided to try something different, what do you think?

The Wizard of Darkness

Cardflip
17 Players
Role Usage is optional
Each night, 5 random players have the ability to visit someone

The Dark Wizard & Cursed Mythical Creatures

Dark Wizard: Can choose what color they flip as at the beginning of the game, and they are also immune to nightkills.
Basilisk: Anyone that visits them during the night phase will die, unless they have a mirror.
Black Dragon: Can take someone to their cave every night phase, disabling their ability that night phase, and also destroying any items they have.

The Good Wizards & Good Mythical Creatures

Knowledgeable Wizard: Can find out the color of someone each night
White Dragon: Can protect someone during the night phase, and if that player is targeted, they’ll die instead.
Mirror Wizard: Can give someone a mirror every 2 nights.
Orb Wizard: Can give someone a X2 Orb each night to make their lynch votes permanently count as 2 unless destroyed by the Black Dragon.
Dragon Duo: Knows who the other dragon is, and can discuss with they who to set ablaze, killing them, if one of them dies, they can’t choose a kill target anymore
Dragon Duo
Regular Wizard: No special abilities
Regular Wizard
Regular Wizard
Regular Wizard
Regular Wizard

Magic Studier: Knows they're the Magic Studier
Witchery Student: Knows they're the Witchery Student

Third Party

Witch:
They can set a spell on a player each night and select a word atleast 6 letters long, and if the that player says that word the next day phase they’ll die. They also have nightkill immunity.

ITEMS
Mirror
If you have this item, if you visit the basilisk, you won’t die, but you’ll be silenced.

X2 Orb
If your given this item, your lynch votes will count as two, unless it’s destroyed by the Black Dragon

Revival Potion
3 Random Players are given revival potions that they're not aware they have, anyone that visits them will get the potion. If more than one person visits someone with a potion in one night, then it’s randomized. Whoever has this potion can revive a player, but if the Witch gets it, they can reverse it's effect and kill someone during a night phase.
I personally like it, but the Witch should be addressed as "She" since typically, Witches are female, and Warlocks are male Witches. I see nothing wrong with this except that the revival potion is awkward. How do you know when you get it? Can one of the original three use the potion if they want? Who dies instead of the White Dragon protects them?

Edit: What do you think of mine then?

ImageImageImage

Return to “Mafia”