Game Concept Thread

The popular forum game that separates the good from the bad, the strong from the weak, and the loose-cannon cops from the slightly schizophrenic. That's all after we figure out who's who, of course.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Re: Game Concept Thread

Postby Pseudo » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:32 am

Yeah lynch immunity is kind of dumb. Not only does it make a day phase completely irrelevant, but it also immediately reveals the person as the lynch-immune role, which gives them guaranteed allies very quickly. Like Spinda said, night immunity is a better mechanic.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:45 pm

Lynch immunity would be cool for verifying people in games with herrings (e.g. Miller) and paintings where inspection results aren't as trustable.

Hyperme
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Hyperme » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:01 pm

Stupid theme game idea for 10 victims players.

And Then There Were None

10 persons of dubious moral character have been invited to an island. But not all are who they seem. One of these persons is the nefarious U. N. Owen, whom murders people. One of them is also an evil demon or something and wants to die by the hand of the mob.

Those Members of the Public whom Possess Moral Character:

The Judge - May use their high standing as a person of justice to prevent a lynch. They cannot save themselves, nor the same person twice.
The Police Officer - May determine the moral character, or 'colour' of a person, during the night.
The Doctor - May protect those who would otherwise be struck down at Night, preventing them from dying. Cannot protect himself, nor can he protect someone two nights in a row.

Those Members of the Public whom possess Moral Learnings

The Priest - Person of religious learning, whom possess no power other than their voice.
The Tailor - Without materials, this person possess no power other than their voice.

Those Members of the Public whom possess Moral Failing

The Soldier - May choose to strike down his fellows at Night, killing them. Should he kill an innocent, the horror of his crimes will compel him to abandon violence.

Those Members of the Public, as seen above, must root out the true evil amongst them.

Those Villians whom possess Evil Hearts

U. N. Owen - A notorious serial killer. Has struck before, leaving ten dead upon a remote isle. May kill one victim per night. Knows the identity of The Demon, but cannot strike it down due their own moral failings. Wins when all others aside from The Demon are dead before them.

The Demon - A foul creature from the Netherworld. Trapped in both human form and the wrong genre, only false justice by lynching will free it. This ensures victory for The Demon, and brings ruin upon everyone else. Cannot be killed by U. N. Owen.

A few ideas mixed in here. The Town faction is everyone but U. N. Owen and The Demon, who are a flavoured Serial Killer, and Jester respectively. The idea of the SK knowing but being unable to harm the Jester is something I think is interesting. Vigilante being red I'm not so sure about. Perhaps if he loses his kill, he should become a green.

Comments welcome since this setup may be dubious.

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:58 pm

I made some changes to my idea.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

Cancelled...but not forgotten...

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:00 am

Hyperme wrote:U. N. Owen
Is that a a refernce to "Flandre Scarlet from Tōhō since her theme was called "U. N. Owen was her?" And it is a poppular one. I believe she is also known for those thing, hehe!

ImageImageImage

Hyperme
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Hyperme » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:55 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Is that a a refernce to "Flandre Scarlet from Tōhō since her theme was called "U. N. Owen was her?" And it is a poppular one. I believe she is also known for those thing, hehe!
no

The reference is the game title!

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:11 am

Hyperme wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
no

I can not believe I did not catch the title of the Magia game was ine of Flandre Scarlet's Spell cards, sorry. Looks decent, but I can not distinguish all of the teams the way it is laid out...

ImageImageImage

Hyperme
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Hyperme » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:34 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Hyperme wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote: Is that a a refernce to "Flandre Scarlet from Tōhō since her theme was called "U. N. Owen was her?" And it is a poppular one. I believe she is also known for those thing, hehe!
no

I can not believe I did not catch the title of the Magia game was ine of Flandre Scarlet's Spell cards, sorry. Looks decent, but I can not distinguish all of the teams the way it is laid out...
I am bad at wordings. The game isn't a Touhous reference, it's a reference to And Then There Were None, a book. About murderings. Which the Touhou also references.

Game has three factions - U. N. Owen, The Demon, and Those Members of the Public.

(Although to be accurate to the book, all 10 roles should be under 'Those Members of the Public whom possess Moral Failings', and one player is randomly pick to be U. N. Owen.)

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:18 am

Kind of a bit different than the usual Mafia games. What do you think?

M__: Continental Shift

Back in time a while ago there were Cavepeople. After a great earthquake, their world is changed. In a new, adventure-filled land they must face challenges of Bad Fortune that come along Good Fortune counteractions who all take on human form to cast a lynch vote each day.

The Bad Fortunes
Disastrous Weather: Can kill one of the Cavepeople each Night. Knows a list of valid targets.
Poison Berry Guide: Can lead one of the Cavepeople to a bush of tasty looking poison berries each Night. Knows a list of valid targets. If the target is visited by any other Cavepeople that Night, the visitor will die.
Confused Primate: Can drag off one of the Cavepeople each Night to raise it as a prehistoric gorilla. Knows a list of valid targets. The target is silenced for the next Day as they are no longer present, but manages to escape the next Night.
Ook Glook Tree: Can dump some sticky ook glook on one of the sleeping Cavepeople each Night. Knows a list of valid targets. The target will have their colour changed to Red, Blue, Purple, or Green for the following Day and Night Phases (Ook Glook Tree’s choice).

The Good Fortunes
Winds-That-Blow-Away-Bad-Weather: Can choose either Red, Blue, Purple, or Green each Night. If the target of Disastrous Weather is of that colour, the effects of Disastrous Weather are negated. The Ook Glook Tree does effect this ability. Knows a list of valid targets.
Ermph: A small dwarven creature somewhat related to the Cavepeople found in their new land. He can give one of the Cavepeople a present each Night that will allow them to use their ability twice the following Night. Knows a list of valid targets. If the target is a normal Caveman, the Voodoo Caveman, or the Caveminstrel, their lynch vote will count as two the following Day.
Intelligent Hole: Can swallow up one of the Cavepeople each Night and protect them from harm by the Bad Fortunes but also from investigation by the Intuitive Caveman or the Ooga Boogaloo Tree and any gift-giving by Ermph. Knows a list of valid targets.
Ooga Boogaloo Tree: The good counterpart of the Ook Glook Tree. Can discover the true colour of one of the Cavepeople each Night. Knows a list of valid targets. Not affected by the Ook Glook Tree.

The Cavepeople
Miraculous Caveman: Can bring any player back from the dead once per game (over the course of a Night phase).
Intuitive Caveman: Can discover the colour of a player each Night.
Creative Caveman: Can post an anonynous message that will be displayed at the end of each Night.
Influential Caveman: Can change another player's lynch vote to a vote of the Influential Caveman’s choice once each day period.
Caveminstrel: Thinks he's special, but most of the Cavepeople can actually sing.
Caveman
Caveman
Caveman
Caveman
Caveman

Psychotic Caveman: May choose to kill any player each Night. If he kills any combination of up to two Good Fortunes and Cavepeople by any time during the game he automatically dies the following Night.
Voodoo Caveman: Might actually be bringing the bad luck to the rest of the Cavepeople.

Game Mechanics
Cardflip: The colour of players will be revealed upon death but can by influenced by the Ook Glooking of the Ook Glook Tree.
Bad Misfortune Win Condition(s): Kill all Cavepeople or outnumber both the Cavepeople and Good Fortunes.
Good Fortune Win Condition and Cavepeople Win Condtion: Eliminate all of the Bad Misfortunes.
Intelligent Hole: If the target of any ability is a player “consumed” by the hole, the player may choose another player to use their ability on.
Good Fortunes Safeguard: Maximum once each phase, the remaining Good Fortunes at that time can PM the host and identify exactly who the other Good Fortunes are (do not need to know the ability of each person, just that they are a Good Fortune). If they are correct, each Night for the rest of the game, the Good Fortunes may decided on one person to prevent being nightkilled each Night.
Bad Fortunes Nightkill: The Bad Misfortunes do not have a general Nightkill as they do not know who each other are at the beginning of the game. However, maximum once each phase, the remaining Bad Fortunes at that time can PM the host and identify exactly who the other Bad Fortunes are (do not need to know the ability of each person, just that they are a Bad Fortune). If they are correct, each Night for the rest of the game they may decide on one additional person to nightkill in addition to the Disastrous Weather's ability.
Last edited by PixelPest on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:04 am

If we're down to 1 Bad Fortune, all or most of the Good Fortunes are still alive, and the Cavepeople have been completely eliminated, does the Bad Fortune team win?

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:10 am

Joey wrote:If we're down to 1 Bad Fortune, all or most of the Good Fortunes are still alive, and the Cavepeople have been completely eliminated, does the Bad Fortune team win?
Yes, because there are no more Cavepeople to inflict Good nor Bad Fortunes on.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:53 pm

Added and fixed some stuff for my game above. Any comments?

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:51 pm

PixelPest continues to grind them out:

Mafia __: Cyborg-ian Nights

Cyborgs are dragging off random people and turning them into more robots. As the town diminishes, will there ever be a good ending? Is there someone else who could help?

The Cyborgs
Normal Mafia win conditions.
Commander Borg
Immune to nightkills. Can decide with his cohorts to kill or abduct a player each Night. Can only abduct a player and turn them into a Borg every three Nights. That player becomes a Borg and learns the identities of the others, but loses the ability they had if they were a special. (Can wait longer if they choose but cannot save an abduction for later.)

(Borg)
Can decide with his cohorts to kill or abduct a player each Night. Can only abduct a player and turn them into a Borg every three Nights. That player becomes a Borg and learns the identities of the others, but loses the ability they had if they were a special. (Can wait longer if they choose but cannot save an abduction for later.)

The Town
Normal Town win conditions.
Helpful Hacker Bot
Can choose a player each Night. They will be able to see all messages sent by and received by their target for the duration of that Night.
Sheriff
Can choose a player each Night to find out their colour.
Gunner
Can choose a player each Night to kill. If he kills a Town member, his role will be publicly revealed.
Carbon Ninja
Can choose a player each Night to prevent from being abducted or killed.
Executive
Lynch vote counts as 2.
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie

Tinkerer
Doesn't know he's the Tinkerer.

The Third Party
Delusionist
Wins if the Town wins, unless hit by an ability, then he steals victory at the end of the game if he can remain alive until that time. Can choose a role of a Town member, dead or alive, and use that ability and colour as his colour and ability each Night. (The other player still keeps their colour and ability). If he has any ability used on him, he will become psychotic and his ability changes to a nightly kill.

Mechanics
- Cardflip: Roles will be revealed upon death.
- Town members and the Delusionist cannot use their abilities N1.
- No Borgs at the beginning of the game (only the Commander Borg).
Last edited by PixelPest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hyperme
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Hyperme » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:09 am

Cult + Mafia combination with lynchproof member is almost certainly unbalanced. Unless they get found out early on, both the Gunner and Delusional Programmer could be dead before the identity of the Commander Borg is found.

Public alliances are dead, since conversion is available. This is good or bad, depending on how you feel about such things.

Not sure about Delusional Programmer, but I don't really like the concepts involved.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:49 am

Thanks for the feedback. Modified a few things such as changing lynch immunity of the Commander Borg to nightkill immunity and a few other things to try to balance it a bit.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:52 am

What happens if the Delusional Programmer reprograms a Mafia member?

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:06 am

The Mafia members are the only ones who can be reprogrammed. The Delusional Programmer will know who the targets that have been killed or converted are, however he will not be able to know whether his target is killed or converted, so there will be a chance of failure.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:10 am

If a Mafia member is reprogrammed, the town will win. I would advise against any roles that allow Mafia members to switch to town roles, because those people can take their knowledge of who is Mafia directly to the town.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:42 am

Joey wrote:If a Mafia member is reprogrammed, the town will win. I would advise against any roles that allow Mafia members to switch to town roles, because those people can take their knowledge of who is Mafia directly to the town.
Never thought about that. Thanks for bringing it up. Changed his role a bit.

Hyperme
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Hyperme » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:16 pm

Since the Delusionist starts as Town, there's no reason for them to paint people. That just screws up the Sheriff, who that point is on their side. I guess they could paint themselves to flip to weird SK mode, but that makes things harder for them.

Return to “Mafia”