Mafia Discussion

The popular forum game that separates the good from the bad, the strong from the weak, and the loose-cannon cops from the slightly schizophrenic. That's all after we figure out who's who, of course.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
HeroOfRhyme
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:47 pm

the game is like, over so yeah its fine. Im psyched for M32 though and im extremely disappointed in how my game turned out.
[08:20:23] <SleepyKitty> AeroMatter, typing /ignore *!*@* will let you block curtain people CTCP'ing you
[08:20:32] <SleepyKitty> so for an example
[08:20:36] <Marinite> curtain
[08:20:40] <Apex> curtain
[08:20:43] <AeroMatter> curtain

Hi Yuki

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:46 am

If you know beforehand that you're going to be temporarily inactive, let the host know (and your teammates as well, in case).
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: I've defeated humor

Postby Sancles-Chan » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:05 am

I hope I actually get to host this time
I go by She/Her for everyone.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:41 pm

I actually have a mystery game for this next sign up.

ImageImageImage

HeroOfRhyme
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:09 am

I think Sanct will win.
[08:20:23] <SleepyKitty> AeroMatter, typing /ignore *!*@* will let you block curtain people CTCP'ing you

Hi Yuki

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:12 am

HeroOfRhyme wrote:I think Sanct will win.
Honestly, if I lose the Host sign ups for the 10th time, I will hope he wins. (I won them once, and it got locked becuase of not enough people [9/16])

ImageImageImage

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps
Current Project: A quirky lil episode
Chat Username: Augustus

Postby TLtimelord » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:24 am

It wouldn't hurt if we had some harsher penalties for people who aren't active. Something like game bans or as Epicmafia does, "vegging out" where if a person doesn't do anything for a single phase, they die.

Quite honestly, the amount of inactivity that goes on by particular users is downright unacceptable and the only reason they get away with it is because they're part of the few people that sign up for the games. If we can hardly muster up enough people for games every time and then we have chronic issues of inactive players after that, we should start seriously considering putting mafia on a hiatus or shutting it down for good.

Games aren't being played properly because of so many inactive players and they're ruining it for everyone. We honestly need to start choosing options soon, and more likely than not most/all of our options are not ones we like.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:28 am

TNTtimelord wrote:It wouldn't hurt if we had some harsher penalties for people who aren't active. Something like game bans or as Epicmafia does, "vegging out" where if a person doesn't do anything for a single phase, they die.
Haven't we had this discussion many times in the past and nothing has come of it?
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:15 am

I'd be pretty down for requiring people to post at least one per phase or risk punishment (or just death). That could be potentially successful, or at worst show that we need to put the game on hiatus.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:11 am

Pseudo-dino wrote:I'd be pretty down for requiring people to post at least one per phase or risk punishment (or just death). That could be potentially successful, or at worst show that we need to put the game on hiatus.
I agree with this.

ImageImageImage

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:25 am

Whoa ... okay, I'm obviously down with kicking people from the game who are unheraldedly inactive for long (2 days +), but I nowhere see that we might need to put the game on hiatus ...

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

HeroOfRhyme
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:22 am

I believe if a person is inactive unless a reason is given beforehand for more than a single cycle they should die for inactivity. Its basically like any other game that boots you for being inactive ingame online.

But I can see mafia being put on hold for now seeing the obvious lack of activity. It is great that users like ShadowStar and Lukas joined but they didnt play right and were mostly inactive. (I saw ShadowStar edit a post for example)

Hi Yuki

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:39 am

Apparently there's sometimes not much to talk on nights or even days if we're lacking leads and it would be the reverse of the medal if we get many posts that just say "I'm still here", "obligate message to show activity" etc.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:44 pm

Supershroom wrote:Apparently there's sometimes not much to talk on nights or even days if we're lacking leads and it would be the reverse of the medal if we get many posts that just say "I'm still here", "obligate message to show activity" etc.
Only post I tend to make on night one is

"Obligatory I am <Insert color> message."

So yeah, it helps and does not at the same time.

ImageImageImage

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:59 pm

What's actually the precise meaning of the rule "Role PM must not be directly discussed but you can discuss your role itself"?

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Postby Pseudo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:22 pm

It means you're not supposed to use your role PM as potential proof of who you are (because of knowing the specific wording of the role PMs or similar, you could confirm your identity as a townsperson among other townspeople or whatever). It usually doesn't matter anyways since most hosts list the role PMs in the game's first post to prevent this kind of abuse (and the rule is disabled in mystery games where discussing role PMs is actually paramount).

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:50 am

Pseudo-dino wrote:It means you're not supposed to use your role PM as potential proof of who you are (because of knowing the specific wording of the role PMs or similar, you could confirm your identity as a townsperson among other townspeople or whatever). It usually doesn't matter anyways since most hosts list the role PMs in the game's first post to prevent this kind of abuse (and the rule is disabled in mystery games where discussing role PMs is actually paramount).
What do you mean by "paramount"?

ImageImageImage

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Postby Pseudo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:31 pm

^
extremely important, one of the main things you have to do in a mystery game

- a spam account, 2016

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:29 am

Here's something I'd like to make abundantly clear about games that involve players with votes not counting.

To have an insta happening, you need >50% of all available votes, not voters. So, if you have 14 players remaining and one of them doesn't have his votes counted, there's only 13 votes avaiable, so with 7 votes you already get an insta. However, it was often handled like you would need 8 votes for an insta just because 14 players are alive, and thus an insta was delayed and one of the 8 people voting would have to be the one with votes not counting. That's mathematically incorrect and it can sometimes indeed make an essential difference on the course of the game.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:33 am

However, those calculations would also give information about Mafia roles having been used (assuming there's a role that nullifies a player's vote). If there's 14 players but you get an insta w/ 7 votes, the town knows that this Mafia role is still alive. I feel like there's no definitive way to do that since both have their problems.
im a girl yo

Return to “Mafia”