Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Official community level contests.
User avatar
bossedit8
Banned
Posts: 6846
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:35 pm
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3
Contact:

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby bossedit8 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Willhart wrote:It's invisible if the level does not use it. Levels without it can be played normally.
Oh, ok. Thank you for your Info.

I still do not want on LunaDLL to have a thing for the next event.

User avatar
SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby SnifitGuy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:27 pm

bossedit8 wrote:
Willhart wrote:It's invisible if the level does not use it. Levels without it can be played normally.
Oh, ok. Thank you for your Info.

I still do not want on LunaDLL to have a thing for the next event.
If a level is playable without LunaDLL, I think it should be allowed, but the use of LunaDLL can't count towards the final score. That allows people to use LunaDLL while still having a similar score to everyone else without LunaDLL.

User avatar
Mabel
Rex
Rex
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:56 am

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby Mabel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:40 pm

its like im reading SMWC in 2008 or something holy shit lol.

OK, imma say this once. Just because a level uses Lunadll does not automatically make it better than one that does not use it. A truly good desinger will still outdo a scrub luna user who thinks his fancy gimmick is gonna give him the win. Its just like SMW and the people who use ASM, there are levels that slap ASM on top of a level and completely ruin it. I can see the same happening for up and coming moon users who think using luna is a free pass on making the level behind it good.(also remember that if a level does not use it it will still be completely playable)

As long as the next contest does not make Luna part of the scoring or making it a requirement, its fine. Even if you nothing to do with it you should at least get it working(if the next update is packaged with it it'll be working out of the box anyway so you can just ignore it from that point on)
Image

User avatar
Darkonius Mavakar
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1686
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:45 pm
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Current Project: Dormiveglia
Contact:

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:29 am

Mabel wrote:its like im reading SMWC in 2008 or something holy shit lol.

OK, imma say this once. Just because a level uses Lunadll does not automatically make it better than one that does not use it. A truly good desinger will still outdo a scrub luna user who thinks his fancy gimmick is gonna give him the win. Its just like SMW and the people who use ASM, there are levels that slap ASM on top of a level and completely ruin it. I can see the same happening for up and coming moon users who think using luna is a free pass on making the level behind it good.(also remember that if a level does not use it it will still be completely playable)

As long as the next contest does not make Luna part of the scoring or making it a requirement, its fine. Even if you nothing to do with it you should at least get it working(if the next update is packaged with it it'll be working out of the box anyway so you can just ignore it from that point on)
i agree with everything you said, like.
why the fuck are you guys being "scared" by lunadll?
Image
My latest SMBX episode
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =36&t=1805

Please stop stealing all the assets made for Delightful Adventure specifically, thanks.

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64
Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/Z8Z68EHJ

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://twitter.com/DormivegliaGame

Axiom
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:23 pm
Current Project: learning C through PSP game programming

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby Axiom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:47 am

Darkonius Mavakar wrote:i agree with everything you said, like.
why the fuck are you guys being "scared" by lunadll?
im not scared, like i said before I have no interest in learning it
what am I??? doing

- Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses Unity Remake
- Florida Van Man YouTube Channel, where I DIY repair Sprinter vans.
- 3 small games in development

User avatar
RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Posts: 4985
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 am
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby RudeGuy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:53 am

Luigifan2010 wrote:im not scared, like i said before I have no interest in learning it
Okay. So why Luna.DLL shouldn't be allowed in the contests?
im bored

User avatar
Megar
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 714
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby Megar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:42 am

it's hardly an smbx contest if we have mod things
it's like doing a sonic 1 race but someone has a hack where you can spindash
disgusting

User avatar
DarkMatt
Banned
Posts: 1144
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby DarkMatt » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:41 am

Are you kids seriously acting like lunadll is illegal steroids?
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

User avatar
Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby Bomber57 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:47 am

DarkMatt wrote:Are you kids seriously acting like lunadll is illegal steroids?
I never said that, I would just rather avoid it.
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

~<3 TNT

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

Axiom
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:23 pm
Current Project: learning C through PSP game programming

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby Axiom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:59 am

Christian07 wrote:
Luigifan2010 wrote:im not scared, like i said before I have no interest in learning it
Okay. So why Luna.DLL shouldn't be allowed in the contests?
have you read any of my previous posts jesus christ
what am I??? doing

- Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses Unity Remake
- Florida Van Man YouTube Channel, where I DIY repair Sprinter vans.
- 3 small games in development

User avatar
zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2718
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 pm
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy
Contact:

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby zioy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:04 pm

I think that LunaDLL should be allowed in CC9, but ONLY if 1.3.0.2 (LunaDLL update) has come out already. Honestly, I don't have it right now, and I don't necessarily plan on learning it, but I would like to play ToB8 differently than the earlier Tower of Biased installments. As in, I'd rather play levels with LunaDLL gimmicks (example: custom Hammer Bros) than not, but I don't think using it should be required, or judged separately (unless a truly new and interesting gimmick using complex Lunacodes is used and is noteworthy).

User avatar
FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser
Posts: 3876
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby FanofSMBX » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Judging from a lot of opinions, I think there should be no events, NPC codes, custom graphics, or custom music allowed. If somebody doesn't want to learn how to use them it would be unfair!

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

Spoiler: show
SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
Spoiler: show
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!


User avatar
Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby Valtteri » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:16 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:Judging from a lot of opinions, I think there should be no events, NPC codes, custom graphics, or custom music allowed. If somebody doesn't want to learn how to use them it would be unfair!
Your sarcastic remarks aren't helping anyone.
Image

Axiom
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:23 pm
Current Project: learning C through PSP game programming

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby Axiom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:29 pm

you know what, im just gonna quote my talkhaus post seeing as how that clarifies alot of my thoughts
raocow wrote:Honestly, I just think that some pillars of the smbx are just afraid of change after using sbmx for so many years and I honestly believe that a little part of them are afraid of getting 'upstaged' or something just as stupid.
i see where you're coming from with this, it's not necessarily that I'm afraid of lunadll but i'm worried more for new users. i'm sure its not hard to master but it can be very confusing, i'm thinking of a younger self looking at some of the lunadll stuff and thinking to myself "wow this would be confusing as fuck to a 12 year old".

but then the argument of "a truly good level designer would be able to outdo a lunadll". that's true and again, i see where (mabel) was coming from there on the forum (but he didn't have to say it so rudely jesus), depending on who the judges are they could easily be biased towards lunadll levels or something like that.

i just think its too soon, we don't even have that many lunadll levels on the forum in the first place and afaik only one major lunadll graphics pack.

my thoughts: wait until cc10 when at that time, 1.3.0.2 (i never even knew about this till recent) will be released and its more widespread and people have more experience with it
and even if right this second 1.3.0.2 was released, I still think its not enough time for everyone to learn their way around hence why I think lunadll should be put off till the next contest.
what am I??? doing

- Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses Unity Remake
- Florida Van Man YouTube Channel, where I DIY repair Sprinter vans.
- 3 small games in development

Chad
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:22 pm

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby Chad » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:53 pm

The problem with LunaDLL is that a lot of people still can't even so much as install it, which completely blocks them off from the extra level editing capabilities that it has. It does end up giving LunaDLL users an advantage, and the difference between forbidding that as opposed to things like events and custom graphics is that everyone is capable of using those. They are native elements of SMBX, so regardless of level editing knowledge or skill, anyone can learn and experiment with them.

If some versions of 1.3+ could use custom graphics and others couldn't for some reason, and fixing it wasn't as simple as just getting a new download, I'd be all in favor of having the contests just be vanilla graphics only. But since every instance of SMBX can do it, the playing field is level as far as that's concerned.

Once 1.3.0.2 comes out, I'll be totally in support of including LunaDLL in the contests because everyone can have it at their fingertips. But while there are still people that are unable to mess with it, it would create an imbalance in terms of the tools each person has to work with.
I'm not active too much on the forums anymore, but my PM inbox is available if you need anything.

Also, I make Super Mario Maker levels sometimes! (Don't mind the awful NNID.)

Axiom
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:23 pm
Current Project: learning C through PSP game programming

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby Axiom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Chad wrote:The problem with LunaDLL is that a lot of people still can't even so much as install it, which completely blocks them off from the extra level editing capabilities that it has. It does end up giving LunaDLL users an advantage, and the difference between forbidding that as opposed to things like events and custom graphics is that everyone is capable of using those. They are native elements of SMBX, so regardless of level editing knowledge or skill, anyone can learn and experiment with them.

If some versions of 1.3+ could use custom graphics and others couldn't for some reason, and fixing it wasn't as simple as just getting a new download, I'd be all in favor of having the contests just be vanilla graphics only. But since every instance of SMBX can do it, the playing field is level as far as that's concerned.

Once 1.3.0.2 comes out, I'll be totally in support of including LunaDLL in the contests because everyone can have it at their fingertips. But while there are still people that are unable to mess with it, it would create an imbalance in terms of the tools each person has to work with.
pretty much what i was trying to say but i guess i worded it wrong or something idk
with the way i trip over the engrish language i might as well be swedish or some shit xd
what am I??? doing

- Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses Unity Remake
- Florida Van Man YouTube Channel, where I DIY repair Sprinter vans.
- 3 small games in development

User avatar
Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby Bomber57 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:52 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:Judging from a lot of opinions, I think there should be no events, NPC codes, custom graphics, or custom music allowed. If somebody doesn't want to learn how to use them it would be unfair!
Oh quit jerking it to LunaDLL.

Besides, most users literally cannot get it to work no matter what.
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

~<3 TNT

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

SMBXxer
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby SMBXxer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Bomber57 wrote:
FanofSMBX wrote:Judging from a lot of opinions, I think there should be no events, NPC codes, custom graphics, or custom music allowed. If somebody doesn't want to learn how to use them it would be unfair!
Oh quit jerking it to LunaDLL.

Besides, most users literally cannot get it to work no matter what.
Not bossedit8, or Little Boo, or, a lot of people.
Might be working on an episode maybe.



<Joey> you want a dickpic
<Quill> "Let it go." Anna says as Elsa cums

leif_erikson
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:23 pm
Current Project: DON'T PM me. Post your questions in the help thread so that others may benefit from the answers.
Contact:

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby leif_erikson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:08 pm

Still, I think lunadll shouldn't be allowed in this main level contest because very few people know how to use it fully.

The problem is, it's a competition. It's not very sporting to add a niche thing few people understand into a competition. Just stick to other projects which allow lunadll if you want to use it, or start another contest (chocolate contest).

By the way, this whole idea has already existed for 5+ years in SMW hacking. They're called "vanilla" contests, where you can't use any addons and can only deal with basic SMW hacking. Contests in which you can use IPS patches and ASM hacks are called "chocolate" contests.
DON'T PM me. Post your questions in the help thread so that others may benefit from the answers.

User avatar
Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:50 am
Flair: I've defeated humor

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby Sancles-Chan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:37 pm

Lunadll doesn't even work for some people so even if they wanted to use it they can't (me for example)
Image
I go by She/Her for those who aren't aware yet.


Return to “Level Contests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests