Super Community Contest - We have a Winner!

Official community level contests.
TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps
Current Project: A quirky lil episode
Chat Username: Augustus

Re: Super Community Contest - First Results Revealed!

Postby TLtimelord » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:23 pm

In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

Quantix
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantix » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Gonna be honest, I'm more concerned about that background not scrolling right.
viewtopic.php?f=69&p=286856#p286855

Generic Quote Collection:
Spoiler: show
Skant wrote:The egg will fuck you if you don't catch it
rockythechao wrote:f6 is an over-the-counter generic run-of-the-mill store-brand bootleg knockoff f5
some people wrote:The021stYoshiFromThe021stCentury: Who would win, a tophat wearing a tophat, or hoeloe wearing hoeloe?
Hoeloe: yes
glitch4: f6
rockythecomet: that's a trick question
rockythecomet: a top hat wearing a hoeloe
Waffles & Stuff (timocomlita) wrote:No matter what you do, it's impossible to get rid of the impossible.
Petrifying wrote:Piss off with your sex doll SMBX 2.0
Enjl wrote:it puts a twist on classic 4 step level design which i like to call "2 and a half steps backwards design"

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Good to see no SMWAW level designer has gotten tier one.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Electriking wrote:Good to see no SMWAW level designer has gotten tier one.
Or TMGJ designer, but wait, did any TMGJ designer even enter?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

Cancelled...but not forgotten...

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?

Postby Mosaic » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:45 pm

TLtimelord wrote:Image
who made that?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: local guy
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:47 pm

its the level that got last place
im bored

Sux
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Nova Era

Postby Sux » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:47 pm

I definitely don't know to measure the difficulty of my levels, because it's easy to me. I confess I was expecting a low placement, but not so low...Although it's a very rushed level I thought it's decent for be at average level, a 3,9 score is frustrating, I was waiting it around 5, but okay.
After read the reviews seems fair the complaings
I can do a level a thousand times better this, but I haven't enough time neither PC. Is a shit to be on tier 1 for the first time but I was counting with this… I don't take it so serius, but I,ll try a best thing on the next one, maybe on MaGLX.
By the Way, good luck for who is remaing

Yoshi678
Rex
Rex
Current Project: [ERROR 404: PROJECT NOT FOUND]
Chat Username: Yoshi678

Postby Yoshi678 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:10 pm

At the risk of sounding a bit douchey, I knew I wasn't gonna be in tier 1. I only really make objectively bad levels when I don't give myself enough time. But it surprises me that someone went and made a level like Sanctuary Fortress 2 and thought for even one second that a level that long could be executed well. It's just not possible, You can have the best design and graphics ever. But a level that takes an hour to clear is just gonna be...bad.

(I like to forget that I ever took part in the Downwards Level Contest...)

I'm like Sans in a way. Just replace the puns with witty banter and remove the crippling depression. :P

=Contest Results in Order of Participation=
SVLC 2016: 17th/42 (Simple Wood Level - 6.07)
Downwards Level Contest: 6th/6 (*I don't remember the level name or score.) (Currently my greatest failure as a level designer.)
Super Community Contest: ?th/46 (Rhedoht Woods) (Disqualified for broken submission. RIP me. =\)

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:13 pm

patience is a virtue

PROX
Mouser
Mouser
Current Project: Super Mario Fantasy
Chat Username: PROX

Postby PROX » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:18 pm

oooooh man, if not tier 1 then definitely tier 2
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

If it makes sense then it must make dollars

Youtube Channel: ProxyHax O.O

Please do not use my stuff until I release it. Thank you.

Collab Project I'm working on:

My Graphics Pack:

World Map Pack: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20173

Zipper
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: sos
Chat Username: ZipperQR

Postby Zipper » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:13 pm

when's tier 2

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Mosaic » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Zipper wrote:when's tier 2
Quill said tomorrow

And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:18 pm

Waddle Derp wrote:patience is a virtue
sure, and the splitting into tiers is also good to keep up the arc of suspense, but why not, like, 2 tiers a day instead of one?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:19 pm

Well if there were 2 a day people would say "why not 3?"
Jesus is my savior.

Quill
Rydia
Rydia
Current Project: Apocalypse of Foroze...?

Postby Quill » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:27 pm

Sanct wrote:oh for fuck's sake why, even extravaganza didn't force people to wait multiple days
You underestimate how hard it is to get results out, especially when there are seven judges to process the reviews of.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Current Project: TBA ;)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:49 pm

Quill wrote:never make a level again.
...Really?

At this point I really don't know whether if I should continue to make levels or not, and I'm so shocked that I am actually saying this.
Usually I'm a guy who doesn't give up at all, but if only one level I've made is mediocre and four are good with the rest (especially this one) being garbage, I feel like I don't have any chance of improvement 90% of the time.
I want to think of new ideas, but now I feel like the next laughing stock of the community.
I had worked on a part of this for nearly a year, enjoyed it, added the 4-step design, and even looked up so many tips and read some feedback, that now I feel like a soulless failure.
I swear when I look at my SVLC 2016 entry, my City Kirby level, and especially Wasabi Find that I can do better than this.
I feel like I'm mostly damaging this community and wasting people's time when I make levels and to see that I get last really makes me regret ever submitting.
I can learn from my mistake when MaGlx 3 come by in the future, and I swear I am NEVER making a open level again.
I'm so sorry that I've been making smbx look bad with my garbage levels, I only wanted to make something new, they were just never executed right.
Now, I would like to get some reception so I can hopefully improve as the decade concludes, so I can become a good level designer and have a true role in the smbx community's history.
It's nowhere far from me quitting, I actually though hard because now I think it's time for me to ask you guys this:

What am I doing wrong in my levels that's making them look bad, especially when it comes to my thoughts?
If anyone will like to give me some feedback, I'll read, respect and accept every single word on your ideas and opinions.
Yoshi678 wrote:I only really make objectively bad levels when I don't give myself enough time. But it surprises me that someone went and made a level like Sanctuary Fortress 2 and thought for even one second that a level that long could be executed well. It's just not possible, You can have the best design and graphics ever. But a level that takes an hour to clear is just gonna be...bad.
I never thought it can be executed well at all, if you just want to beat it that can easily take up to 5-7 minutes, if it were to be a 100% run then it's technically so.
MosaicMario wrote:
TLtimelord wrote:Image
who made that?
I did, it was supposed to be like that, more or less it was supposed to be a memory challenge to either see it or predict it.
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Spoiler: show
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:53 pm

JupiHornet wrote:Dang it I was hoping to place at least a little bit higher.
Oh well, I'll actually try next time xd
Hey, at least you didn't get last place.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:06 pm

Quill wrote:Either scrap this level style or never make a level again.
That's what you should put emphasis on, Ness, since the judges stated that your level was overly massive and ambitious along with other bugs and errors. I know the feeling, I've started the exact same with Super Mario 63 but I somehow managed to recover and find a better balance (welp, to some extent that I got better scores).
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Yoshi678
Rex
Rex
Current Project: [ERROR 404: PROJECT NOT FOUND]
Chat Username: Yoshi678

Postby Yoshi678 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Ness-Wednesday wrote:At this point I really don't know whether if I should continue to make levels or not, and I'm so shocked that I am actually saying this.
Usually I'm a guy who doesn't give up at all, but if only one level I've made is mediocre and four are good with the rest (especially this one) being garbage, I feel like I don't have any chance of improvement 90% of the time.
I want to think of new ideas, but now I feel like the next laughing stock of the community.
I had worked on a part of this for nearly a year, enjoyed it, added the 4-step design, and even looked up so many tips and read some feedback, that now I feel like a soulless failure.
I swear when I look at my SVLC 2016 entry, my City Kirby level, and especially Wasabi Find that I can do better than this.
I feel like I'm mostly damaging this community and wasting people's time when I make levels and to see that I get last really makes me regret ever submitting.
I can learn from my mistake when MaGlx 3 come by in the future, and I swear I am NEVER making a open level again.
I'm so sorry that I've been making smbx look bad with my garbage levels, I only wanted to make something new, they were just never executed right.
Quill, that was quite uncalled for. I've looked at some of Ness' work before and there are good parts in there. Don't discourage someone from contributing to the game's community and longevity.

Ness, Don't let yourself die on the inside because of a huge failure. I failed before. I scored dead-last in the downwards level contest... out of 6 people... I took a long break from SMBX after. And now I've come back with a level that I have a feeling will be in tier 3 or above. The point is you're no more a laughing stock than I am. We all can improve and the saying goes: "We learn from our failures, not our successes." Thinking of good ideas can be tough, especially with something as subjective as the quality of level design. Open levels require a lot of forethought to be done well but if you keep trying you'll eventually get something we can call "good." All it takes is the correct reaction and adaptation to criticism on top of a bit of creativity as not to feel repetitive in the case of open-ended level design. If you don't want to try open levels for a while then that's fine. But calling quits on it forever won't do you any favours in the longrun. As I've suggested my downwards level design is... well, shit. But I'm no doubt going to try it again at some point so I can become as flexible as I can. We all can improve. Don't give up~

I'm like Sans in a way. Just replace the puns with witty banter and remove the crippling depression. :P

=Contest Results in Order of Participation=
SVLC 2016: 17th/42 (Simple Wood Level - 6.07)
Downwards Level Contest: 6th/6 (*I don't remember the level name or score.) (Currently my greatest failure as a level designer.)
Super Community Contest: ?th/46 (Rhedoht Woods) (Disqualified for broken submission. RIP me. =\)

Zipper
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: sos
Chat Username: ZipperQR

Postby Zipper » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:36 pm

Yoshi678 wrote:
Quill, that was quite uncalled for. I've looked at some of Ness' work before and there are good parts in there. Don't discourage someone from contributing to the game's community and longevity.
Quill wrote:Either scrap this level style or never make a level again.
stop trying to stir shit up, both of you

Return to “Level Contests”