Site Discussion Thread

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:45 pm

Because it wasn't included in the software itself before, I had to add it in (I think with an extension). The forums won't experience any significant changes, no.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:56 pm

Just in case any of you haven't seen, GhostHawk, Aristo, and PixelPest have been promoted to moderators. Don't go too crazy, guys!!! :mrgreen:

Additonally, JupiHornet, Squishy Rex, and Mivixion are no longer moderators. We wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Lucky guys, must have made a good influence on the community to gain mod rank (And ofcourse a lot of maturity was needed, so well done!). I wish you luck with this role, it isn't easy at times but stay with it!
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:45 pm

Demoted mods aren't a big deal since only one of them wasn't incredibly inactive.
But promoting mods is a big deal. Good luck GhostHawk, Aristo and Pixel! May you be great moderators for this forum!

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:07 pm

GhostHawk was already a moderator here though. :|
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Aristo
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: they/them/don't refer to me
Chat Username: Aristo

Postby Aristo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:28 pm

no one said you cant promote people again if theyve previously been mods
Of course you need to believe in things that aren't real. How else can they become?

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:19 am

But people like me who are mature enough to use that sort of power appropriately never get the chance to do so, which is unfortunate. I mean, if Donald Trump became the President of the USA, then surely I could stand a chance at becoming a mod on these forums. I mean, I may not know a lot about Lunalua or everything to do with SMBX, but I am a responsible person and I do know right from wrong. Dreams don't always come true though, but who knows?
(Sorry if this sounds harsh and I don't mean to offend anyone or anything, it is just a thought I had and you don't need to take it completely seriously, lol)
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Aristo
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: they/them/don't refer to me
Chat Username: Aristo

Postby Aristo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:25 pm

By saying that, you're implying that GhostHawk isn't mature enough to handle being a mod (also nice humble brag about being mature, that really underlines how mature you are).
Personally, I'd like if we could get rid of the notion that there is a set amount of moderator slots and that people who are promoted to staff roles "take away" the opportunity to get promoted from other people. (I know how dumb this sounds after just being promoted.)
But seriously, GhostHawk has done nothing but good for the community in the past few months, and there has been talk of promoting her to moderator for ages. I honestly don't know why anyone acts surprised.
Of course you need to believe in things that aren't real. How else can they become?

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:29 pm

I understand all that, and I'm happy enough that I got the privilege of being a level reviewer recently. Just want to know if there would be any chance of having a role like that ever. But congratulations goes to you three for making it to this point, you really do deserve it. You've been really helpful to the community and have acted responsibly, so well done on that!
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:15 pm

There is not a set amount of mods but still a limited one by nature. It makes sense because every forum admin in the world will confirm you that 1) it's not good to have an overly large percental amount of staff among the active userbase and 2) too many cooks spoil the broth and if you have 10 mods then everyone will start loafing because their individual performance becomes indistinct. In our case, we've gained three new active mods, which is enough to handle regular maintenance and organization.

You're a great active member no doubt, but as long as the staff is stable and functional, not every well-behaving member needs to become a mod eventually. This applies for many forums and many administrator positions as well. By experience, some mods become inactive and new mods are added within some cycles that can be as long as a few months or two years, dependingly. Your only influence on gathering the position is through your general behaviour. You can't make predictions of "in half a year or a year I'll definitely become mod". Maybe there will be an open moderator application eventually, then of course you can try. Just enjoy yourself in the community and have fun.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Cedur wrote:There is not a set amount of mods but still a limited one by nature. It makes sense because every forum admin in the world will confirm you that 1) it's not good to have an overly large percental amount of staff among the active userbase and 2) too many cooks spoil the broth and if you have 10 mods then everyone will start loafing because their individual performance becomes indistinct. In our case, we've gained three new active mods, which is enough to handle regular maintenance and organization.

You're a great active member no doubt, but as long as the staff is stable and functional, not every well-behaving member needs to become a mod eventually. This applies for many forums and many administrator positions as well. By experience, some mods become inactive and new mods are added within some cycles that can be as long as a few months or two years, dependingly. Your only influence on gathering the position is through your general behaviour. You can't make predictions of "in half a year or a year I'll definitely become mod". Maybe there will be an open moderator application eventually, then of course you can try. Just enjoy yourself in the community and have fun.
That's very good advice. I wasn't directly asking to become a mod, but rather just wondering what it takes to become one. I mean i'm glad these 3 were chosen, so yeah, I do wish you guys luck with handling the community and hope that 1 day you'll even become admins too!
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:03 pm

It's not really something that should be dreamed about. The "fun" part is everything that can be done ITT, and the rest is managing reports and intervening in issues. There's no slots for implementing good changes and helping the community.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:09 pm

GhostHawk wrote:There's no slots for implementing good changes and helping the community.
Are you saying that no-one is allowed to do these things, or anyone can because there aren't special slots for being helpful?
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Anyone can.

chuckster
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: formerly the socially naive idiot theloaflord
Current Project: smw stuff

Postby chuckster » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:34 pm

Asking to become moderator is probably the worst way to become a moderator.

There isn't anything too exciting, I've been one before on others forums. I think the only reason people desire moderator is because everyone literally bows to the moderators.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:44 pm

Yeah i don't really want to be a mod, since it means so much hard work, being active often etc. But it does sound like a nice experience. Anyway we have gotten off topic here, so let's get this back on track:
Will this site eventually get a modern remaster; e.g. looks more futuristic (idk), tabs at the top that stay with the top as you scroll down, etc.
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:20 am

A mockup would help in giving that suggestion some weight. I think it would be both really cool and really hated by many people if the forums used a new modern theme. Idk if the top thing you suggested is possible on phpbb tho.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

chuckster
Ninji
Ninji

Postby chuckster » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:05 am

Enjl wrote:A mockup would help in giving that suggestion some weight. I think it would be both really cool and really hated by many people if the forums used a new modern theme. Idk if the top thing you suggested is possible on phpbb tho.
I love our forum design as is.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:35 am

The worst thing for me is the fact that when you use the search feature to find a post, topic etc., you cannot use words that are smaller than 3 letters.
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

chuckster
Ninji
Ninji

Postby chuckster » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:41 am

Taycamgame wrote:The worst thing for me is the fact that when you use the search feature to find a post, topic etc., you cannot use words that are smaller than 3 letters.
D O Y O U K N O W H O W M U C H I N T E R N A L P A I N T H A T S E A R C H B A R H A S C A U S E D M E ?

Return to “Archives”