Site Discussion Thread

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:08 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:Can't we have a level & project forums just for the 38A users? :idea: :idea: :idea:
I think a rule where someone must state what version their level/project/episode is using would be a better idea.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Zha Hong Lang
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:41 am

People already state when they're using 38A, but if a rule for that doesn't exist yet it could be useful for future users.

In the meantime, i'd like this statement I made earlier addressed:
Zha Hong Lang wrote:Could the level reviewer application thread be changed from a global announcement into a sticky on the level forum?
(formerly Jayoshi, Luigi, Luigi.net)

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:47 am

Also, it's kinda weird how none of the level reviewers have made a review yet afaik.

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Radiance » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:09 am

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=19569
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=19680
I reviewed 2 levels already if you're not aware.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:27 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:Also, it's kinda weird how none of the level reviewers have made a review yet afaik.
They are not obligated to, other than former level judges. The rank is just supposed to indicate that you can ask these people about good level design.
arcade999 wrote:The world page still shows featured 2014 episodes, wich are truly outdated, and it is just looking wierd and cringy. At least, by the same occasion, show featured episodes from all the years, otherwise, I don't really see the point. :|
Featured episodes were abandoned after 2014 so they don't exist for 2015, 2016 and early 2017. It's actually good to have them back; you can't properly close the gap.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:57 pm

That's actually not quite true, there were featured episodes into 2015 that just weren't added to the SMBX Worlds page for some reason.
Jesus is my savior.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Snessy the duck » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:20 am

HenryRichard wrote:That's actually not quite true, there were featured episodes into 2015 that just weren't added to the SMBX Worlds page for some reason.
Shouldn't those be added to the worlds page too? I mean, why not?

arcade999
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby arcade999 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:07 am

I feel like a lot of new users are not actually reading the rules and are unconciously violating them by making threads with no screenshots, posting on the wrong forum, making useless threads, insulting and stuff. This is not occasionnal, but almost EVERYTIME a new user show up. They are most of the time kiddos, which are obviously attracted because of the website being about mario. I don't know you guys, but I think it is starting to get really irritating. It would be great if something could be done aigains't that.
check out my (shitpost) youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fkps ... oRYc6XtNxQ
check out my discord server: https://discord.gg/nAjhRGb
check out my forum: http://arcade999forum.freeforums.net/
StickGuyGamez wrote:BRING ME BACK TO PENIS
Super Nick Bros X wrote:bruh
RTisBack wrote:Jesus christ isn't a lord/god you piece of human with no brain, and i mean that allah is the only one god.
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
arcade999 wrote:do using ms paint make me a bad human being?
No. It makes you a great veteran and someone who deserves respect...

unless you use Windows 7 paint
Noodle wrote:Danny is a crapposter. (I was in school when I typed this)
Snessy the duck wrote:
Electriking wrote:What the fuck is going on with this topic?
I have no idea. This guy honestly seems like a bot.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:11 am

well, you can't prevent them from showing up and making attention grabs or garbage posts. These users don't stay anyway in most cases. If anything it's most annoying for the staff who have to deal with them and their posts. I usually stay chill about it and have a silent laugh. Also, don't underestimate the amount of benign users who join (and hopefully stay).

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Radiance » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:32 am

arcade999 wrote:I feel like a lot of new users are not actually reading the rules and are unconciously violating them by making threads with no screenshots, posting on the wrong forum, making useless threads, insulting and stuff. This is not occasionnal, but almost EVERYTIME a new user show up. They are most of the time kiddos, which are obviously attracted because of the website being about mario. I don't know you guys, but I think it is starting to get really irritating. It would be great if something could be done aigains't that.
As you've said they're unconsciously violating rules. If they've been notified that they broke a rule, chances are they'll be conscious that there are rules and read and follow the rules, or ignore the mods. Be worried more on the users who already stayed longer and still violating the rules. Although it's the new users' fault why they didn't read the rules, it would be better if they're punished less harsh than those who already read the rules imo.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Cedur wrote:
Snessy the duck wrote:Also, it's kinda weird how none of the level reviewers have made a review yet afaik.
They are not obligated to, other than former level judges. The rank is just supposed to indicate that you can ask these people about good level design.
I'm not entirely sure who's on that list and I'm kinda curious as to who is.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:57 pm

> check the month of october thread or search "find a member - sort by rank"

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:04 pm

Cedur wrote:> check the month of october thread or search "find a member - sort by rank"
Yeah, yeah, thanks. Jupihornet also told me.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

xDestroy
Ninji
Ninji

Postby xDestroy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:04 pm

arcade999 wrote:I feel like a lot of new users are not actually reading the rules and are unconciously violating them by making threads with no screenshots, posting on the wrong forum, making useless threads, insulting and stuff. This is not occasionnal, but almost EVERYTIME a new user show up. They are most of the time kiddos, which are obviously attracted because of the website being about mario. I don't know you guys, but I think it is starting to get really irritating. It would be great if something could be done aigains't that.
PREACH
no

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby Electriking » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:08 am

I guess a problem could be that they expect the rules to be similar to that of other forums (so stuff like not posting NSFW/illegal content, no drama/flaming, no racism, no disrespecting others etc) content and don't want to waste time reading what they believe they already read before. In the case of projects they probably assume it would be simply stuff like post constructive criticism only or don't post innapropriate project, which while these are true, means they miss any unique rules they would not come accross or assume they exist due to them being abnormal. I think the mods would have to find a way of trying to get the rules grab a new user's attention, posssibly by having them displayed at the top of the forum rather than in a topic (assuming phpBB allows it of course) or having some password system to access it which would be visible in the rules (though this could be counterproductive and discouraging if we force new users to jump through too many hoops just to access a forum, though the old levels forum had something similar where you had to read the rules and request permission in the topic to post in the forum). But just having them in a topic won't really grab the attention of a new user who believes it contains stuff they already read. Although hopefully they do go and read the rules upon realisation they have broken an obscure rule like the screenshot rule.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Oshi
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: This account is dying

Postby Oshi » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:57 pm

For the "Screenshoots Required" rule for projects, shouldn't there be some exceptions? Like, say, somebody has barley any progress, and has nothing to show off.
Don't expect me to post here often, if at all.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that this isn't supposed to happen.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab

Postby underFlo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:46 pm

Musicality_Minister45 wrote:For the "Screenshoots Required" rule for projects, shouldn't there be some exceptions? Like, say, somebody has barley any progress, and has nothing to show off.
In that case, a project thread wouldn't have much use since it couldn't represent the project well.
im a girl yo

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby Electriking » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Musicality_Minister45 wrote:For the "Screenshoots Required" rule for projects, shouldn't there be some exceptions? Like, say, somebody has barley any progress, and has nothing to show off.
That is kind of the reason for the screenshot rule, it is so that people have already made substantial progress when make the project thread.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:49 am

Electriking wrote:I guess a problem could be that they expect the rules to be similar to that of other forums (so stuff like not posting NSFW/illegal content, no drama/flaming, no racism, no disrespecting others etc) content and don't want to waste time reading what they believe they already read before.
That's definitely not why we get garbage threads; either you know that rules differ from forum to forum and you check out the rules before joining, or you decide to not bother about rules at all, or you decide to be a hit-and-runner and troll once for a laugh and never come back anyway. There's surely also some amount of users who say "oh I didn't know that" but I think this amount is relatively small and it's also their own fault.
Electriking wrote:I think the mods would have to find a way of trying to get the rules grab a new user's attention, posssibly by having them displayed at the top of the forum rather than in a topic
I would expect most users to look over the already existing project threads before making their own. The rules thread is one sticky out of only three, you can't really overlook it. Mostly I see people with correct threads; people who know that they need screenshots but say "I'll deliver them later on"; and, again, garbage posters who aren't put off by any rules or lines. I nevertheless think that a red "forum rules bar" on top is advisable.

With that being said, I see it many times that people make serious "what" replies to blatant trolls or noobs. Too much simpleheartedness and gullibility.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:39 am

When will the eggs rank disappear from this April's event?

Return to “Archives”