SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby PixelPest » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:09 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:06 pm
Enjl wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:34 am
Ironically, the biggest external thing holding back release right now might be Mario Maker 2, since Nintendo might think we're trying to interfere with their profits and marketing. I say "might", because it's unclear if any delays have to happen because of that, or if we just happen to get release ready by the time that hype and initial sales period have died down (or later). Until that's clear we'll continue working on getting the project into peak condition.
Yeah that is a good point and the longer we wait the more time you guys will have to add more content. 1 quick question. I am hoping that the restrictions on adding new npc's such as enemies will be lifted for beta5 or are you guys just going to leave it as is since there are dummy slots to add more stuff later?
What restrictions are you referring to?

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1392
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Stargard
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Taycamgame » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:44 pm

Mikenakar Games wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:14 am
Any idea why the site for SMBX2 is still down?
The site has been down for a long time now and it's unlikely it will be back up properly for a while. I'm not sure on the specific details but if you want to get the download for SMBX2, there are other places you could get it; i'm not sure where exactly but if you go back a few pages in this thread, there should be a mirror link for it.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Image
Image
Image
Image
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby PixelPest » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:59 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:44 pm
Mikenakar Games wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:14 am
Any idea why the site for SMBX2 is still down?
The site has been down for a long time now and it's unlikely it will be back up properly for a while. I'm not sure on the specific details but if you want to get the download for SMBX2, there are other places you could get it; i'm not sure where exactly but if you go back a few pages in this thread, there should be a mirror link for it.
All of the mirrors are in the OP

MISMASJETU
Goomba
Goomba
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby MISMASJETU » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:30 pm

Nice. But please add propeller mushroom. (like that that was in smbx 1.4.4) It is my favorite power-up

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8741
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Enjl » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:51 pm

MISMASJETU wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:30 pm
Nice. But please add propeller mushroom. (like that that was in smbx 1.4.4) It is my favorite power-up
It's not yet possible for us to add powerups that persist between levels.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

Mikenakar Games
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:43 pm
Flair: YouTuber/Indie Game Promoter/Comedian

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Mikenakar Games » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:31 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:34 am
Ironically, the biggest external thing holding back release right now might be Mario Maker 2, since Nintendo might think we're trying to interfere with their profits and marketing. I say "might", because it's unclear if any delays have to happen because of that, or if we just happen to get release ready by the time that hype and initial sales period have died down (or later). Until that's clear we'll continue working on getting the project into peak condition.
It's my understanding that Nintendo stole the concept of Super Mario Bros X and used a lot of it to create Super Mario Maker. A lot of assets from that game from early on are eerily similar to SMBX. Also didn't SMBX get a cease and desist, for just the development of the core engine when you all seem to be doing is a perfect loophole (add to it not directly update it, genius) just before they released Super Mario Maker?

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6494
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Cedur » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:38 pm

I think it's quite a broad and substanceless claim that Nintendo took direct inspiration from SMBX. Just a multitude of styles to work with is really a coincidence
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4489
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Electriking » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Mikenakar Games wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:31 pm
Enjl wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:34 am
Ironically, the biggest external thing holding back release right now might be Mario Maker 2, since Nintendo might think we're trying to interfere with their profits and marketing. I say "might", because it's unclear if any delays have to happen because of that, or if we just happen to get release ready by the time that hype and initial sales period have died down (or later). Until that's clear we'll continue working on getting the project into peak condition.
It's my understanding that Nintendo stole the concept of Super Mario Bros X and used a lot of it to create Super Mario Maker. A lot of assets from that game from early on are eerily similar to SMBX. Also didn't SMBX get a cease and desist, for just the development of the core engine when you all seem to be doing is a perfect loophole (add to it not directly update it, genius) just before they released Super Mario Maker?
There was never a cease and desist. Nintendo seized the domain for the original website SMBX was hosted on.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

User avatar
Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:18 pm
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Hoeloe » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:24 pm

Mikenakar Games wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:31 pm
A lot of assets from that game from early on are eerily similar to SMBX.
...You are aware that the assets in SMBX were taken from official Mario titles right? That's why they're similar - Nintendo used the original assets. They didn't "steal SMBX", that's ridiculous.

Also no, Nintendo did not file a C&D against SMBX. As has been stated already, they seized the website domain, but took no action against the software itself.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby PixelPest » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:47 pm

Mikenakar Games wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:31 pm
Enjl wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:34 am
Ironically, the biggest external thing holding back release right now might be Mario Maker 2, since Nintendo might think we're trying to interfere with their profits and marketing. I say "might", because it's unclear if any delays have to happen because of that, or if we just happen to get release ready by the time that hype and initial sales period have died down (or later). Until that's clear we'll continue working on getting the project into peak condition.
It's my understanding that Nintendo stole the concept of Super Mario Bros X and used a lot of it to create Super Mario Maker. A lot of assets from that game from early on are eerily similar to SMBX. Also didn't SMBX get a cease and desist, for just the development of the core engine when you all seem to be doing is a perfect loophole (add to it not directly update it, genius) just before they released Super Mario Maker?
As previously mentioned Nintendo can't steal their own assets since they're...theirs. Also MM uses SMB NES, SMB3 NES, SMW, and NSMB which is very different than the selection of SMBX. Also the fact that we're not editing the core engine isn't by choice, we literally can't because we don't have the source code. Also our goal is to not conflict at all with Nintendo's releases and business

Mikenakar Games
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:43 pm
Flair: YouTuber/Indie Game Promoter/Comedian

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Mikenakar Games » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Hoeloe wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:24 pm
Mikenakar Games wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:31 pm
A lot of assets from that game from early on are eerily similar to SMBX.
...You are aware that the assets in SMBX were taken from official Mario titles right? That's why they're similar - Nintendo used the original assets. They didn't "steal SMBX", that's ridiculous.

Also no, Nintendo did not file a C&D against SMBX. As has been stated already, they seized the website domain, but took no action against the software itself.
Which game prior to Super Mario Maker allowed people to fly in a clown coptor as a mount in any level? And I'm not counting the final battle in NSMBWii U.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby PixelPest » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:27 pm

Mikenakar Games wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:23 pm
Hoeloe wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:24 pm
Mikenakar Games wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:31 pm
A lot of assets from that game from early on are eerily similar to SMBX.
...You are aware that the assets in SMBX were taken from official Mario titles right? That's why they're similar - Nintendo used the original assets. They didn't "steal SMBX", that's ridiculous.

Also no, Nintendo did not file a C&D against SMBX. As has been stated already, they seized the website domain, but took no action against the software itself.
Which game prior to Super Mario Maker allowed people to fly in a clown coptor as a mount in any level? And I'm not counting the final battle in NSMBWii U.
Why can't you count the final battle in NSMBU? Nintendo created it, they had all rights to use it however they chose. Again, they can't steal something that's already theirs

User avatar
1di_Scroll
Mouser
Mouser
Posts: 1874
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:28 pm
Flair: C'est la vie... profitez-en!
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby 1di_Scroll » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:57 pm

How is Nintendo supposed to steal things from a fan-game which is based on one of its games? SMM definitely didn't get inspired from SMBX in my opinion, it was a continuation of the SNES' Mario Paint as the Wikipedia article says.

User avatar
MisterZygarde64
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby MisterZygarde64 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:39 pm

Enjl wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:51 pm
MISMASJETU wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:30 pm
Nice. But please add propeller mushroom. (like that that was in smbx 1.4.4) It is my favorite power-up
It's not yet possible for us to add powerups that persist between levels.
Speaking of Power Ups that Persist between levels. When it’s possible to add powerups that persist between levels, I think you should make the Boomerang exclusive to Toad and the Bomb projectiles exclusive to Peach new separate power ups and have Toad and Peach throw hammers like the Mario Bros. I mean why would the Hammer Suit have Toad and Peach throw stuff that aren’t hammers. For having the Boomerang be reworked into a separate powerup, the Boomerang Flower is a no brainer. For Peach’s Bombs? I think something like this could work.
Image
Image

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8741
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Enjl » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:42 pm

MisterZygarde64 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:39 pm
Enjl wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:51 pm
MISMASJETU wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:30 pm
Nice. But please add propeller mushroom. (like that that was in smbx 1.4.4) It is my favorite power-up
It's not yet possible for us to add powerups that persist between levels.
Speaking of Power Ups that Persist between levels. When it’s possible to add powerups that persist between levels, I think you should make the Boomerang exclusive to Toad and the Bomb projectiles exclusive to Peach new separate power ups and have Toad and Peach throw hammers like the Mario Bros. I mean why would the Hammer Suit have Toad and Peach throw stuff that aren’t hammers. For having the Boomerang be reworked into a separate powerup, the Boomerang Flower is a no brainer. For Peach’s Bombs? I think something like this could work.
That would not only break compatibility with older episodes, but also make Toad and Peach less appealing choices for having less things that make them unique. They can't even get on Yoshi.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

User avatar
Teemster2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:56 am

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Teemster2 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:07 am

PixelPest wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:09 pm
Teemster2 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:06 pm
Enjl wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:34 am
Ironically, the biggest external thing holding back release right now might be Mario Maker 2, since Nintendo might think we're trying to interfere with their profits and marketing. I say "might", because it's unclear if any delays have to happen because of that, or if we just happen to get release ready by the time that hype and initial sales period have died down (or later). Until that's clear we'll continue working on getting the project into peak condition.
Yeah that is a good point and the longer we wait the more time you guys will have to add more content. 1 quick question. I am hoping that the restrictions on adding new npc's such as enemies will be lifted for beta5 or are you guys just going to leave it as is since there are dummy slots to add more stuff later?
What restrictions are you referring to?
I was referring to the claims sheet but looking at it again I guess I was wrong. It says to test finished npc's and work on the to do list which I understand. I just forgot what it said and confused myself. Sorry.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Goomba98
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Goomba98 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:24 pm

Any chance you can remove the death animation for falling in a pit, to make it more accurate to official Mario games?

PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby PixelPest » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:58 am

Goomba98 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:24 pm
Any chance you can remove the death animation for falling in a pit, to make it more accurate to official Mario games?
That can be done on a per-level/per-episode basis as needed without much difficulty if you want to make that happen

User avatar
MisterZygarde64
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby MisterZygarde64 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:41 pm

Enjl wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:42 pm
MisterZygarde64 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:39 pm
Enjl wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:51 pm

It's not yet possible for us to add powerups that persist between levels.
Speaking of Power Ups that Persist between levels. When it’s possible to add powerups that persist between levels, I think you should make the Boomerang exclusive to Toad and the Bomb projectiles exclusive to Peach new separate power ups and have Toad and Peach throw hammers like the Mario Bros. I mean why would the Hammer Suit have Toad and Peach throw stuff that aren’t hammers. For having the Boomerang be reworked into a separate powerup, the Boomerang Flower is a no brainer. For Peach’s Bombs? I think something like this could work.
That would not only break compatibility with older episodes, but also make Toad and Peach less appealing choices for having less things that make them unique. They can't even get on Yoshi.
You know. I wish we could get in touch with Redgit so we can get our hands on the source code. I want to know how the suggested changes could break compatibility with older episodes. I think maybe have any changes to Toad and Peach like say letting them slide and ride Yoshi along with my suggested changes be able to be turned off (Have it off by default to be safe) so it won’t break compatibility. That way you could have an episode that splits the Bomb and Boomerang into separate power ups and let Peach and Toad be on equal footing with Mario while having an episode that gives Peach and Toad their old properties.

But I don’t really how the development works so take this with a grain of salt if it’s not possible.

User avatar
1AmPlayer
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 3:36 am
Flair: I'm a hellspawn.
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby 1AmPlayer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:50 pm

MisterZygarde64 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:41 pm
You know. I wish we could get in touch with Redgit so we can get our hands on the source code. I want to know how the suggested changes could break compatibility with older episodes. I think maybe have any changes to Toad and Peach like say letting them slide and ride Yoshi along with my suggested changes be able to be turned off (Have it off by default to be safe) so it won’t break compatibility. That way you could have an episode that splits the Bomb and Boomerang into separate power ups and let Peach and Toad be on equal footing with Mario while having an episode that gives Peach and Toad their old properties.

But I don’t really how the development works so take this with a grain of salt if it’s not possible.
Even if we still be able to gain communication with Redigit now, would he still have the SMBX source code? I mean, it was a long time ago.


Return to “Archives”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron