SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Quantumenace » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Might just want to double-check that that address doesn't affect anything else, cheat engine says that address gets loaded by 4 instructions, but all of them seem clearly tied to player movement.

I also found the address used by the combo score multiplier for v:harm(HARM_TYPE_NPC), which will farm 1-ups if you keep using that and don't reset it. I'd assume you already know this but the address is:

mem(0x00B259E8,FIELD_DWORD)+0xAC24

just before the first NPC entry.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:41 pm

That's actually really useful. I'm so glad you found that one

rednaxela
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby rednaxela » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:13 pm

Quantumenace wrote:Could you add the acceleration factor of slippery blocks to Defines?

The relevant memory addresses are
0x402518,FIELD_DFLOAT (the default is 4, don't make it 0 or a divide by zero error is likely)
0x4026B0,FIELD_DFLOAT (the default is 3, it should always be 1 less than the first value or you'll get weird acceleration)

The default cuts your acceleration by a factor of 4. Changing these values with mem: appears to work correctly, you can even make them less slippery than normal blocks, though there'll be some weird jitter if the first value is 0.5 or less. The only obvious problem is that it doesn't reset those values to the default until you restart the program.
Here's the thing... Values in the 0x40______ memory range are very special and are not variables...they're constants from the VB6 compiler, and they're de-duplicated such that everywhere in the code referencing that one floating point number points to that same location in the 'constants' memory.

What this means is.... changing that doesn't just change a physics parameter in one aspect of the engine... it changes EVERY place in all of vanilla smbx that uses the particular floating point number that that memory location is normally set to.

As such, it is very highly likely to have numerous side effects. So... generally shouldn't be changing 0x40______ memory region things like that unless either:
A) are 100% okay with the notion there are likely side effects even in areas of the engine very unrelated to what you're trying to change. The 0x40______ constant values this is especially the case for.
B) or, someone takes the time to examine all references to that constant in the ASM and confirm no side effects exist (unlikely, though possible)

I don't have time to search the ASM right this moment for that one, it might be fine... but the 0x40______ memory region is extra dangerous that way and generally unsuitable for Defines fields
Long signatures are ungood.

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:37 pm

Whoops. I should have tested with a more complicated map, there's other things that use it too. Would it work to change the instructions to access a safer address then?
The ones that are the most relevant to slippery acceleration appear to be:

smbx.exe+59B269 - DC 0D B0264000 - fmul qword ptr [smbx.exe+26B0] { [3.00] }
smbx.exe+59B27E - DC 35 18254000 - fdiv qword ptr [smbx.exe+2518] { [4.00] }

There might be more, but i'm clearly not well-versed in this.

rednaxela
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby rednaxela » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Quantumenace wrote:Would it work to change the instructions to access a safer address then?
In the case of SMBX2 I recommend against patching instuctions outside of LunaLua Core, as there's a risk it may conflict with future code patching by LunaLua Core. Hmm... I'm thinking soon I'll make some adjustments to allow those settings to be changed and use different values per character too.

Also, I'm not sure those two instructions are the only ones for that meaning technically, will have to check. Lots of the player physics code is copy-pasted between cases for certain characters, in particular Link and Luigi tend to have a lot of special cases, more so than the rest.
Long signatures are ungood.

MisterZygarde64
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby MisterZygarde64 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:00 pm

So in SMBX2 You share powerups. I don't really like it since it causes me to lose Yoshi.

Hoeloe
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Hoeloe » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:02 pm

That's a bug that I plan to fix as soon as the tech is there.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:00 am

MisterZygarde64 wrote:So in SMBX2 You share powerups. I don't really like it since it causes me to lose Yoshi.
What do you mean? I haven't noticed power up "sharing", whatever that is.

It is given that x = 5. What is the value of y?

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Electriking » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
MisterZygarde64 wrote:So in SMBX2 You share powerups. I don't really like it since it causes me to lose Yoshi.
What do you mean? I haven't noticed power up "sharing", whatever that is.
When you switch characters, the power-up transfers to the character you switch to, which is a 2.0 bug.
Signatures are overrated

Super Luigi Bros
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Super Luigi Bros » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Alright, so this is a upgrade from SMBX 1.3.0.1. I'm assuming, so you have my attention.

Disclaimer: I am a random guy on the internet and I want everything I say to be taken light-heartedly.

SMBX 2.0 Review!!

Initial trailer: This trailer looks (and sounds) amazing, and is very well crafted, for many reasons it is perfect for upgrades/sequels or whatever you want to call this. I love the trailer and made me hype when I first saw it on YouTube. But was the game worth the wait? Well...

Level Editor: This is the first thing I wanted to check out, as it seemed to be a lot more efficient than Redigit's old one. Well, (don't hurt me) it kinda sucks. Several buttons are just Mario blocks or pictures and I have no idea what they're for since there are no labels, and when I click sometimes they don't work. (I tested the mouse on all 3 spare mice I had, and the problem still occurred. The way you sorted the settings for the level itself (blocks, items, music, etc) also blows. Sometimes the music won't preview as well. But the thing that really bugged me, was the level test. It starts up an entirely new window, which I thought was weird enough, it takes like 2 minutes to load! I am on 500 gig windows 10 and it still took 2 minutes. But the way to place down the items in the actual level? well, it isn't as smooth as 1.3.0.1., but it works. The way you save the level is just interesting, that is all I will say.

Menus, setup, etc: Just like the level editor, this is where the game falls flat, it is literally just like 1.3.0.1., no extra options or anything, just slower. But, the way the folder is when you download it is very well labeled and sorted, again, just like 1.3.0.1. was. Also, custom sprites don't work for me, idk why.

Gameplay: So, you think I hate SMBX2 by now, correct? Well, maybe I hate everything else, but the most important part of a game, the gameplay itself, is PERFECT!!! The gravity is much more traditional instead of being floaty like in 1.3.0.1., the music doesn't glitch at all, and run at a very smooth fps. The pre downloaded worlds are all very fun to play through, and have some decent replay abilities, but the best part of SMBX2 is Mario Challenge. HOLY MOTHER OF CHEESE, it is so fun and addicting!! All the different playable characters and costumes, the awesome bosses and level you play through, the setting you can make, it is all so charming and fun, well designed and perfect, it reminded me of Mario Maker's 10 Mario challenge, except this, is 100 times better, and is probably the only reason I would play smbx2.

So, SMBX2 is not perfect, but... Okay, I don't like it all. The playable characters require blocks, it adds almost nothing to the level editor besides some random Kirby and other stuff I don't recognize, the game itself is extremely bare bones, and I don't really see why I should play this instead of 1.3.0.1., considering that one is much more well made. The level editor is a total bust, and I think you should create the application yourself instead of using some online tool. I will most likely skip this one, as I just like 1.3.0.1. more, and is just more well made and welcoming. If you want a good SMBX sequel, consider 1.4.

Well, reviews have to give scores, don't they? Okay fine. I think that SMBX2 has great potential, even though it feels extremely unpolished. I applaud you for building a game that stands extremely well on it's own, but when compared to 1.3.0.1., it really just isn't good.
So, I will give SMBX2 5.6/10.

And if you developers are reading this, don't take anything offensively, this game is good work, but needs loads of improvement. And if somebody calls me a stupid idiot for a negative review? Well, this is just an opinion, so don't hate on me, please.

Wow, this is long. You know, all the characters in this whole paragraph is 3847.
Image Let's a go! Let's a go!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:03 am

I'm not taking things offensively, but I will point some things out and must ask you to elaborate on others:
Super Luigi Bros wrote:Several buttons are just Mario blocks or pictures and I have no idea what they're for since there are no labels
You can hover over each button for context, or check out the "Edit" and "View" menus at the top for a description.
Super Luigi Bros wrote:and when I click sometimes they don't work
Which ones in particular? Please send a screenshot with the faulty buttons highlighted.
Super Luigi Bros wrote:The way you sorted the settings for the level itself (blocks, items, music, etc) also blows
There is a level itembox and a tileset itembox. We recommend using the tileset itembox. You can create your own tilesets with it and access previously made ones like in the legacy editor. I have updated all tileset itembox tilesets for the upcoming beta 4, though: http://horikawaotane.com/smbx/blog/2017 ... -cleaning/
Super Luigi Bros wrote:Sometimes the music won't preview as well
You have to click the music note at the top and make sure the volume slider next to it isn't all the way to the left. As long as you have music in Section Settings selected then it should be no issue. It's nice to be able to turn off music from time to time.
Super Luigi Bros wrote:It starts up an entirely new window, which I thought was weird enough
It's more flexible. Lets you edit the level as you find issues with it during testing. Better than constantly exiting out of testing.
Super Luigi Bros wrote:it takes like 2 minutes to load! I am on 500 gig windows 10 and it still took 2 minutes
HDD space has no influence on editor load times. Processor speed and RAM play a role. Also, the initial startup opens the engine. Every subsequent test will load much faster.
Super Luigi Bros wrote:But the way to place down the items in the actual level? well, it isn't as smooth as 1.3.0.1., but it works
It's significantly faster if you get used to it. If you're very familiar with 1.3's editor, that might take a few days, though.
Super Luigi Bros wrote:The way you save the level is just interesting, that is all I will say
CTRL + S?
Super Luigi Bros wrote:The gravity is much more traditional instead of being floaty like in 1.3.0.1.,
We haven't touched gravity at all.
Super Luigi Bros wrote:the music doesn't glitch at all, and run at a very smooth fps
I don't think we did anything in this regard either! Maybe SDL Mixer X helps with music, though...
Super Luigi Bros wrote:I should play this instead of 1.3.0.1., considering that one is much more well made
This uses 1.3 under the hood. It's the same engine but with extra features. We cut literally nothing. Except some glitches.
Super Luigi Bros wrote:Well, reviews have to give scores, don't they?
Misconception. It's a matter of taste. The score should always be made clear, though.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Mirror of all my content and collaborations on IPFS: QmZKzVJAsD6dE2tTHEb58XEmsNLzrW2MVsTtW7HWLAAcCC

Super Luigi Bros
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Super Luigi Bros » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:22 am

Hey, I see you replied, I tried everything you told me, and all those things you told me, well, I still prefer 1.3.0.1. but you did help me fix some minor issues I had. Are you sure you never tweaked the gravity? it feels different, but that may just be me. In 1.3.0.1. the music sometimes stopped, and then quickly sped up very fast and then normal. this never happened to me even though I played it for roughly 4 hours. What I meant was 1.3.0.1. seems less complicated and I am much more used to.

I will change my score to 7.6/10 though, what you told me changed my mind. still using the 1.3.0.1. editor though, lol. By the way, are 1.3.0.1. levels compatible with 2.0?
Image Let's a go! Let's a go!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:25 am

Super Luigi Bros wrote: I will change my score to 7.6/10 though, what you told me changed my mind. still using the 1.3.0.1. editor though, lol. By the way, are 1.3.0.1. levels compatible with 2.0?
Yep. Same engine, so compatibility is kept.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Mirror of all my content and collaborations on IPFS: QmZKzVJAsD6dE2tTHEb58XEmsNLzrW2MVsTtW7HWLAAcCC

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Electriking » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:29 am

Super Luigi Bros wrote:Are you sure you never tweaked the gravity? it feels different, but that may just be me.
It feels the same to me. Maybe it is related to performance, as 2.0 runs better than 1.3.
Signatures are overrated

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:58 am

Enjl wrote:
Super Luigi Bros wrote: I will change my score to 7.6/10 though, what you told me changed my mind. still using the 1.3.0.1. editor though, lol. By the way, are 1.3.0.1. levels compatible with 2.0?
So why are some episodes that are playable on 1.3.0.1 and 2.0 recommended to play on the older version of the two?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:59 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Enjl wrote:
So why are some episodes that are playable on 1.3.0.1 and 2.0 recommended to play on the older version of the two?
Can you show some examples of that? I don't see any reason why

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:25 am

One example would be Reign of the Gatekeepers - It says it is recommended for 1.3.0.1 but is also playable on 2.0.
Is there any reason why 1.3.0.1 episodes would run worse on 2.0?

Radiance
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish
Pronouns: he

Postby Radiance » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:43 am

Maybe SMBXpanded blocks are the reason why some levels need 1.3.0.1 instead of SMBX2. Idk for the Reign of the Gatekeepers, though.

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:08 am

SMBXpanded is the only possible reason but then that's not really 1.3

luigismansion9000
Goomba
Goomba

Postby luigismansion9000 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:05 am

i cant get my wired xbox360 controller to work... do you have any suggestions?... i prefer to not use Xpadder or anything like that if i can get away with it... Thanks :)

Return to “Archives”