SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Tiger Festival
Swooper
Swooper

Re: SMBX 2.0 Beta 3

Postby Tiger Festival » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:08 am

Hoeloe wrote:
rockythechao wrote:
The0x539 wrote: Almost definitely not, as much as I want him to. I know it'd be tough to do, and I'm not sure overhauls for pre-existing (MLPTL) characters are even on the table for basegame. There's a SMB2 character overhaul thing, subcon.lua, that rockythechao's working on, maybe someone (please not me) could partner up with Legend-tony for something similar, but who knows, and it'd have to be very good (compatible with all the content already in the game) to make it into 2.0 basegame.
I don't recall naming it that but okay sure :P

The Doki Doki Pack will be an episode with a bunch of lua, graphic swaps and editor config tweaks to serve as a framework for more authentic SMB2-style episodes, and I'm working on porting some of the stuff from that to a set of SMB2 costumes. If there's going to be any additions/changes to Link's mechanics they should probably be via a costume as well. And for the record, I do think a costume for Link with the bow, spin attack, etc. would be pretty rad, but it would indeed be a lot of work to code and I'm in no rush to make it myself either.
There was also a discussion about making characters as a whole a bit more modular, allowing features (for example, Wario's shop) to be enabled or disabled by the level/episode maker. If we do go down that route, adding extra abilities to the vanilla 5 is more feasible, as they'll be optional and won't interfere with existing levels compatibility.
If you add those extra animations (such as jumping and swimming) and extra abilities (such as lifting,holding,Yoshi riding) You'll have my total gratitude and respect from here on out.
Spoiler: show

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby The0x539 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:57 am

Matt_The_Slime wrote:Holy crap, this looks amazing!

While watching the snake blocks section, I had an idea that probably wouldn't work with the mechanics.
It's a snake block puzzle, but you are stick inside of glass pipes and must keep moving so you don't fall out.
Well, hitting a non-registered block when inside a clear pipe sends you bouncing back the way you came, and you *should* still be able to alter the speed at which you travel through clear pipes even when it's a 2.0 API...

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:39 am

The0x539 wrote:
thehelmetguy1 wrote:I also hope they fix the bug that makes LunaTester crash.
What bug?
The one when Yoshi eats a key, the game crashes. that bug.
Enjl wrote:
Dr Vivian wrote:This is all very exciting!
Really looking forward to trying out these new NPCs! I just recently made a level full of fake Chargin' Chucks (Football Chucks replacing Hammer Bros, Hoppin' Chucks replacing Fighter Fly's etc.) but now I can make a Chargin' Chuck level for real! Finally make some Mario Sports themed levels...!
I see the plan is to focus on SMB1,2,3 and World, which makes sense, but I wonder about Yoshi's island...?
But with that list of like ONE HUNDRED new NPCs, that's a lot to look forward to!
I don't see Frogsuit in that list, power-ups are NPCs, but they are also their own thing, right? And there's only like one slot left? Any progress in expanding power-up slots?
Also, if costumes in the future can have extra effects, that would be really cool.
We don't have a means of adding powerups yet, so those are a thing for maybe the full release of 2.0. No promises, though.
Expanding the NPC array now is a trivial task of changing two numbers. You might see it go up to 500 or so later today :p
Hype train has been activated.
Last edited by JupiHornet on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMBX 2.0 β4 is here!!! How about 2.0 β5?
ImageImage
Meepyglobix wrote:DON'T SAY "38A??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
Image Thanks Pixelpest!!!!

Legend-tony980
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Legend-tony980 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Tiger Festival wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:
rockythechao wrote: I don't recall naming it that but okay sure :P

The Doki Doki Pack will be an episode with a bunch of lua, graphic swaps and editor config tweaks to serve as a framework for more authentic SMB2-style episodes, and I'm working on porting some of the stuff from that to a set of SMB2 costumes. If there's going to be any additions/changes to Link's mechanics they should probably be via a costume as well. And for the record, I do think a costume for Link with the bow, spin attack, etc. would be pretty rad, but it would indeed be a lot of work to code and I'm in no rush to make it myself either.
There was also a discussion about making characters as a whole a bit more modular, allowing features (for example, Wario's shop) to be enabled or disabled by the level/episode maker. If we do go down that route, adding extra abilities to the vanilla 5 is more feasible, as they'll be optional and won't interfere with existing levels compatibility.
If you add those extra animations (such as jumping and swimming) and extra abilities (such as lifting,holding,Yoshi riding) You'll have my total gratitude and respect from here on out.
I would also love to be able to add extra animations and also being able to customize our characters however I see fit, that's perfect too. As long as it's easier to do so. Also, Wohlstand has taken some of the Link sprites and attempted to add it in his configure pack. :)

Also, in response to the costume for Link with the Bow, Spin Attack (also a Spin Jump move), Hookshot, etc., I'm not too sure about the concept of actual costumes which he has access to those items or abilities exclusively but what I had in mind was that they are actual items that Link can simply grab and hold them, use them (Bows & Arrows is limited to 10 arrows), throw them when no longer needed. But they can either be like how Link keep bombs and use them whenever he wants or simply grabable items like I suggested or like in Four Swords/Four Swords Adventures where Link finds items on altars and pick up only one item at the time and/or put the item back. Those are just what I suggest. But costumes on the other hand, I admit those are good ideas, that is if each costumes have unlimited access to Bows & Arrows (infinite arrows), Hookshot or Longshot (use it and put away anytime) and Spin Attack (a little bit longer and able to move left to right and maybe Beam Link is the right candidate).

Another SMB2 costume possibility, that is if the characters are able to do the Somersault/High Jump technique, but that's just another suggestion of mine. Unless, that's what you planned to do...? :idea:
Here is the link to my Upgraded Super Mario Bros. 3-Styled Graphic Pack Download

Also, go check out my DeviantArt account where most of my image submissions are found.

I'm currently working on Link's sprites tho:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:13 pm

We're not modifying the main 5 characters to maintain as much backwards compatibility as possible. That's why we're working with costumes.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby The0x539 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:47 pm

Legend-tony980 wrote: I would also love to be able to add extra animations and also being able to customize our characters however I see fit, that's perfect too. As long as it's easier to do so. Also, Wohlstand has taken some of the Link sprites and attempted to add it in his configure pack. :)
How on earth would we even go about making it easier?

snoruntpyro
Pokey
Pokey

Postby snoruntpyro » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:20 pm

The whole gang is finally here!

(not pictured: bouncing and splitting chucks shaking before they activate. eaten by 30 fps ;-;)

Also, fyi - if anyone wants frequent updates on SMBX 2.0 activites, discodehaus has the whole dev channel of smbx 2.0 public for viewing and the devs there, including myself, post frequent gifs and screenshots of enemy progress.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby Electriking » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:23 pm

I noticed there is a new checkpoint on the claims sheet, how is this different to the already existing checkpoint?
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:29 pm

King of Eterity wrote:I noticed there is a new checkpoint on the claims sheet, how is this different to the already existing checkpoint?
multiple midpoints are supported natively with no coding involved

loop13
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: I mainly play Celeste nowadays

Postby loop13 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:30 pm

King of Eterity wrote:I noticed there is a new checkpoint on the claims sheet, how is this different to the already existing checkpoint?
I am guessing that you can put in more than one and they all work.
Hello, I make a lot of typos
specific people know my whereabouts though

my wifi is as useful as a brick

im more active on discord

:idea: I'm not (completely) dead; I rarely talk because I usually have nothin to say; I'll talk when I actually have a comment I want to make, or if someone asks me somethin...

nostalgia is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

anything before 2020 is most likely me being a weirdo or an idiot.

Tiger Festival
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Tiger Festival » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Legend-tony980 wrote:
Tiger Festival wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:
I would also love to be able to add extra animations and also being able to customize our characters however I see fit, that's perfect too. As long as it's easier to do so. Also, Wohlstand has taken some of the Link sprites and attempted to add it in his configure pack. :)

Also, in response to the costume for Link with the Bow, Spin Attack (also a Spin Jump move), Hookshot, etc., I'm not too sure about the concept of actual costumes which he has access to those items or abilities exclusively but what I had in mind was that they are actual items that Link can simply grab and hold them, use them (Bows & Arrows is limited to 10 arrows), throw them when no longer needed. But they can either be like how Link keep bombs and use them whenever he wants or simply grabable items like I suggested or like in Four Swords/Four Swords Adventures where Link finds items on altars and pick up only one item at the time and/or put the item back. Those are just what I suggest. But costumes on the other hand, I admit those are good ideas, that is if each costumes have unlimited access to Bows & Arrows (infinite arrows), Hookshot or Longshot (use it and put away anytime) and Spin Attack (a little bit longer and able to move left to right and maybe Beam Link is the right candidate).

Another SMB2 costume possibility, that is if the characters are able to do the Somersault/High Jump technique, but that's just another suggestion of mine. Unless, that's what you planned to do...? :idea:
THAT gets me hyped and excited.I totally look forward to Link becoming a better character.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Enjl wrote:
multiple midpoints are supported natively with no coding involved
To expand on this, the new checkpoint NPC basically replaces the old one, but it's now hooked into multipoints natively, so multiple checkpoints are now supported with none of the awkwardnesses that multipoints introduced. Hopefully in future we'll be able to expand it so you can place entrance points and such, too.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:06 pm

The boys are back in town.

loop13
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: I mainly play Celeste nowadays

Postby loop13 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Enjl wrote:Image
No kidding! :mrgreen:
Seriously, those are awesome. What is up with the baby Yoshis on the bottom of the screen though?
Hello, I make a lot of typos
specific people know my whereabouts though

my wifi is as useful as a brick

im more active on discord

:idea: I'm not (completely) dead; I rarely talk because I usually have nothin to say; I'll talk when I actually have a comment I want to make, or if someone asks me somethin...

nostalgia is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

anything before 2020 is most likely me being a weirdo or an idiot.

Gunslinger
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby Gunslinger » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Jayce 777 wrote:
No kidding! :mrgreen:
Seriously, those are awesome. What is up with the baby Yoshis on the bottom of the screen though?
Demon baby yoshis.

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:41 pm

Oh man chargin chucks!
Are you guys gonna add the whistle chuck?
My Project: Coming Soon!
I support
ImageImage Image

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby Electriking » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Can you change the stomping speed of the sumo bros?
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:54 pm

is the pink yoshi the balloon baby yoshi and is the blue yoshi the bubble baby yoshi?
SMBX 2.0 β4 is here!!! How about 2.0 β5?
ImageImage
Meepyglobix wrote:DON'T SAY "38A??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
Image Thanks Pixelpest!!!!

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby The0x539 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Matt_The_Slime wrote:Oh man chargin chucks!
Are you guys gonna add the whistle chuck?
Without Rip Van Fish or Super Koopas, what would they do?

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Oh man, hype gets bigger each time

Return to “Archives”