SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
snoruntpyro
Pokey
Pokey

Re: SMBX 2.0 Beta 3

Postby snoruntpyro » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:39 pm

Amyrakunejo wrote: I understand all that, but why add other characters from other games beforehand? I mean, there's reasons, I'm sure. I'd like to know these reasons.
To put it bluntly, it's because the management of the original 2.0 was a mess and had oodles of terrible decisions based around it. Now that the project has shifted focus from trying to just vomit garbage into the MaGLX2 postgame to actually, you know, making a new version of SMBX, we're going to focus on stuff normal people that don't know code will put in their levels.
Spoiler: show

Amyrakunejo
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: Philosophical, Pagan, Anarchist Lady Fair Gamer

Postby Amyrakunejo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:58 pm

snoruntpyro wrote:It's because the management of the original 2.0 was a mess and had oodles of terrible decisions based around it. ...
I hear that. Seems like anything worthwhile these days just ends up a big pile of 'What the f*ck was I thinking!?'

Life...why are you so cruel?
Amyrakunejo, Femme Fair Gamer, Bassist, Vocalist, In-Your-Face Screamer, Gynesexual
And at night she whispers, Ride the Wind, never comin' back 'til I touch the midnight sun...

"Is there really a choice for us, or are we always, sometimes monsters?"

What my POTATO PC can run with little to no issues:
SMBX 1.3, SMBX 2 Beta 3, RM2000/2003/XP/VX/VX Ace
What it struggles with:
NSMBX, SMBX 2 Beta 4, RMMV

AceTrainerJim
Goomba
Goomba

Postby AceTrainerJim » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:23 pm

I have a question about a couple specific NPCs from the claim sheet. While looking through it, I saw that the Blurp and SMW Bowser Statue are supposed to be among the new NPCs included. Considering that both of them already exist in SMBX, how will the "new" ones be different from the "old" ones?

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby Electriking » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:25 pm

AceTrainerJim wrote:I have a question about a couple specific NPCs from the claim sheet. While looking through it, I saw that the Blurp and SMW Bowser Statue are supposed to be among the new NPCs included. Considering that both of them already exist in SMBX, how will the "new" ones be different from the "old" ones?
I guess they are different types. There is a type of Bowser statue in SMW that jumps. Not sure what will be different for the blurp though.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:28 pm

AceTrainerJim wrote:I have a question about a couple specific NPCs from the claim sheet. While looking through it, I saw that the Blurp and SMW Bowser Statue are supposed to be among the new NPCs included. Considering that both of them already exist in SMBX, how will the "new" ones be different from the "old" ones?
The AI in SMBX is inaccurate. Blurps act nothing like in SMW, SMBX's bowser statue is buggy and the fire isn't spinjumpable.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby The0x539 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:30 pm

Enjl wrote:
The AI in SMBX is inaccurate. Blurps act nothing like in SMW, SMBX's bowser statue is buggy and the fire isn't spinjumpable.
To add to this, the existing ones will be unchanged, but put away in a "don't use these" section of the item boxes. Redigit actually did this once, with the SMW beached blue koopa.

TDK
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby TDK » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:06 pm

The0x539 wrote:
Enjl wrote:
To add to this, the existing ones will be unchanged, but put away in a "don't use these" section of the item boxes. Redigit actually did this once, with the SMW beached blue koopa.
Speaking of buggy NPC, is a fixed version of the unused airship piece part of the plan.

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:37 pm

But how can anyone know that the blurps are buugy? We haven't tested it yet.
SMBX 2.0 β4 is here!!! How about 2.0 β5?
ImageImage
Meepyglobix wrote:DON'T SAY "38A??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
Image Thanks Pixelpest!!!!

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:48 pm

FUCK. YES
FUCK. HELL. YEAH
FUCKING. ok i guess you already got it.
I also hope they fix the bug that makes LuaTester crash.

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby The0x539 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:17 pm

thehelmetguy1 wrote:I also hope they fix the bug that makes LunaTester crash.
What bug?

Tiger Festival
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Tiger Festival » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Legend-tony980 wrote:Oh my god. More and more NPCs are gonna be added into the game? That means every NPCs from Super Mario All-Stars games and Super Mario World will be there, along with the capability of adding custom NPCs of our own, right? I'm really looking forward for beta 4! I've seen Engl's post and I'm so glad Chargin' Chucks are finally gonna make the cut!
PixelPest wrote:
Legend-tony980 wrote:
I love the bow and arrow ideas. Probably wouldn't be too difficult either
I'm so glad you do too bro. As a matter of fact, there is another new update for Link's sprites today:
New sprites were added within it. Some sprites that were already featured in this sheet were fixed.

I would love to see him finally being capable of performing the Spin Attack. He can also do that if he were to Spin Jump.

Link really needs a lifting ability too. He's the only one unable to do so. And he also has a better Jump sprite there too.
OMG is Link going to get this nice overhaul for the next beta? OMG this is awesome. :D

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby The0x539 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:22 pm

Tiger Festival wrote:OMG is Link going to get this nice overhaul for the next beta? OMG this is awesome. :D
Almost definitely not, as much as I want him to. I know it'd be tough to do, and I'm not sure overhauls for pre-existing (MLPTL) characters are even on the table for basegame. There's a SMB2 character overhaul thing, subcon.lua, that rockythechao's working on, maybe someone (please not me) could partner up with Legend-tony for something similar, but who knows, and it'd have to be very good (compatible with all the content already in the game) to make it into 2.0 basegame.

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:25 pm

So it seems the new winged NPCs will be their own NPC instead of having a Wing NPC like SMM?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:10 pm

Holy crap, this looks amazing!

While watching the snake blocks section, I had an idea that probably wouldn't work with the mechanics.
It's a snake block puzzle, but you are stick inside of glass pipes and must keep moving so you don't fall out.
My Project: Coming Soon!
I support
ImageImage Image

Tiger Festival
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Tiger Festival » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:59 pm

The0x539 wrote:
Tiger Festival wrote:OMG is Link going to get this nice overhaul for the next beta? OMG this is awesome. :D
Almost definitely not, as much as I want him to. I know it'd be tough to do, and I'm not sure overhauls for pre-existing (MLPTL) characters are even on the table for basegame. There's a SMB2 character overhaul thing, subcon.lua, that rockythechao's working on, maybe someone (please not me) could partner up with Legend-tony for something similar, but who knows, and it'd have to be very good (compatible with all the content already in the game) to make it into 2.0 basegame.
Thanks for crushing my hopes and dreams :cry:

rixithechao
Pokey
Pokey

Postby rixithechao » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:55 am

The0x539 wrote:
I don't recall naming it that but okay sure :P

The Doki Doki Pack will be an episode with a bunch of lua, graphic swaps and editor config tweaks to serve as a framework for more authentic SMB2-style episodes, and I'm working on porting some of the stuff from that to a set of SMB2 costumes. If there's going to be any additions/changes to Link's mechanics they should probably be via a costume as well. And for the record, I do think a costume for Link with the bow, spin attack, etc. would be pretty rad, but it would indeed be a lot of work to code and I'm in no rush to make it myself either.
Some people just cannot avoid the ads on MediaFire, even with both common sense and popup blockers. It's always a good idea to provide an alternate download link with an ad-free file host such as Dropbox or Google Drive.

Also play Bug Fables, the devs have confirmed that they got their royalties from Dangen and the game is really freaking good.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:51 am

TheDinoKing wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
Enjl wrote: The AI in SMBX is inaccurate. Blurps act nothing like in SMW, SMBX's bowser statue is buggy and the fire isn't spinjumpable.
Speaking of buggy NPC, is a fixed version of the unused airship piece part of the plan.
Yeah, it would be awesome to have a lakitu cloud.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:12 am

rockythechao wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
I don't recall naming it that but okay sure :P

The Doki Doki Pack will be an episode with a bunch of lua, graphic swaps and editor config tweaks to serve as a framework for more authentic SMB2-style episodes, and I'm working on porting some of the stuff from that to a set of SMB2 costumes. If there's going to be any additions/changes to Link's mechanics they should probably be via a costume as well. And for the record, I do think a costume for Link with the bow, spin attack, etc. would be pretty rad, but it would indeed be a lot of work to code and I'm in no rush to make it myself either.
There was also a discussion about making characters as a whole a bit more modular, allowing features (for example, Wario's shop) to be enabled or disabled by the level/episode maker. If we do go down that route, adding extra abilities to the vanilla 5 is more feasible, as they'll be optional and won't interfere with existing levels compatibility.

Dr Vivian
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Dr Vivian » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:42 am

This is all very exciting!

Really looking forward to trying out these new NPCs! I just recently made a level full of fake Chargin' Chucks (Football Chucks replacing Hammer Bros, Hoppin' Chucks replacing Fighter Fly's etc.) but now I can make a Chargin' Chuck level for real! Finally make some Mario Sports themed levels...!

I see the plan is to focus on SMB1,2,3 and World, which makes sense, but I wonder about Yoshi's island...?
But with that list of like ONE HUNDRED new NPCs, that's a lot to look forward to!

I don't see Frogsuit in that list, power-ups are NPCs, but they are also their own thing, right? And there's only like one slot left? Any progress in expanding power-up slots?

Also, if costumes in the future can have extra effects, that would be really cool.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:04 am

Dr Vivian wrote:This is all very exciting!
Really looking forward to trying out these new NPCs! I just recently made a level full of fake Chargin' Chucks (Football Chucks replacing Hammer Bros, Hoppin' Chucks replacing Fighter Fly's etc.) but now I can make a Chargin' Chuck level for real! Finally make some Mario Sports themed levels...!
I see the plan is to focus on SMB1,2,3 and World, which makes sense, but I wonder about Yoshi's island...?
But with that list of like ONE HUNDRED new NPCs, that's a lot to look forward to!
I don't see Frogsuit in that list, power-ups are NPCs, but they are also their own thing, right? And there's only like one slot left? Any progress in expanding power-up slots?
Also, if costumes in the future can have extra effects, that would be really cool.
We don't have a means of adding powerups yet, so those are a thing for maybe the full release of 2.0. No promises, though.
Expanding the NPC array now is a trivial task of changing two numbers. You might see it go up to 500 or so later today :p
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Return to “Archives”