How did you discover SMBX?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

How did you discover SMBX?

Postby HeroLinik » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:07 pm

The title says it all, really. And yes, that is a question that shows up as part of your profile, however the answers given are still relatively brief, so I'd love to see some of the more detailed means of how you discovered SMBX, in addition to this.

So yeah, how did you initially discover SMBX?
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Re: How did you discover SMBX?

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:53 pm

I discovered SMBX by looking through the library of Mario fan games until mid-2013, until the laptop I was using broke down

Bloxxerstudios
Rex
Rex
Current Project: Secret

Postby Bloxxerstudios » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:42 pm

This was in early 2010 at the least.. Maybe 2011? Whenever SMBX was first gaining traction. It was way back. But I was using my old 90's Computer in the Basement. A computer so old and dirty that it hummed and heated up easily. But I loved it; cause it could play YoYo Games. Especially games from the Sandbox. But I especially loved the Mario Games. Remember Mario and the Seven Pearls...? Yeah, I doubt anyone does but me.

So one day, while looking on Youtube for Mario stuff, I found this crazy game called SMBX. Obviously I immediately downloaded it, and it was one of the games that could run well on that old, broken down PC I used. I've been using it ever since :b

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:53 pm

Random youtube recommendation, like many of users here
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Scroll
Mouser
Mouser
Flair: C'est la vie... profitez-en!
Current Project: The Quest of the Dark Stars
Chat Username: Scroll#7903

Postby Scroll » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:26 pm

I posted my story in other thread, but this time I will be more detailed.

When Super Mario Maker for 3DS was announced, I got a lot of interest in making Mario levels. It was my dream back then to get the game in my 3DS, but the economy situation in my country was causing trouble (well, it's still a huge problem nowadays)

My mom promised me I would get the game someday. Meanwhile I started to look around the internet for some similar games for computers, and I found quite a lot of ones. This was in December 2016, I can't believe it's been almost 4 years!

At first, none of the games I found were as cool as MairoMaker. It was loyal to the original SMM game, and had a lot of neat levels made by the community. I kinda miss those times, in fact I think I might download it again later to have some fun lol

Of course I also found about SMBX as the most famous SMM fangame, but the editor was a quite hard to use for me, so I just didn't like it and discarded it.

In January 2017, I found about Mario Editor, and I definitely loved it because of the lots of features it had and how easy it is to use. I had a lot of fun with it around first half of 2017, but in late summer vacation I decided to give a try to SMBX again.

Back then I was very unfamiliar with the uncompatibility and differences between SMBX 1.3 and 1.4, so I started to use 1.4 cause I thought it was the most updated version (I had no clue of SMBX2 existence back then). I found a lot of bugs and problems with 1.4, but I kept it anyway. I was confused with the editor so I looked up a tutorial in YouTube. The tutorial was recorded on SMBX 1.3, and that's where I noticed 1.3 and 1.4 were different engines. I tried 1.3 and it was much better, I had a lot of fun with it the whole Christmas 2017. Later I found about SMBX2 but it couldn't run to its full potential in the computer I had back then.

SMBX was now my favorite fangame. I had doubts choosing between Mario Editor and SMBX, but since I started to engage with SMBX community I then forgot about ME (I still play it sometimes though). In July 2018 I finally got SMM for 3DS, I liked it but it wasn't as great as I expected for a lot of reasons, so I kept using SMBX. It's my favorite game since then and I've had a lot of amazing experiences with it and its community.

My current computer (which I got in December 2018) is still not powerful enough to run SMBX2, but I think I might get a new decent one sometime soon.

So, there you go. That's my whole story with SMBX. I didn't know it would be this long, I guess I got inspired lol

EDIT: Just removed some dumb stuff from the post I regret saying
Last edited by Scroll on Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saltlord
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: bruh
Current Project: vibin'
Chat Username: Saltlord#3269

Postby Saltlord » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:25 pm

YouTube recommendation during Mario Maker 1's pre-release phase. Although I was quite hyped for that game, I didn't have a Wii U at the time (nor do I have one now), so upon 'discovering' this free alternative, I immediately downloaded SMBX.

mechamind
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Flair: You can set your mind to it!

Postby mechamind » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:49 pm

I had been hopping around various types of games during spare time in high school, including Mario fan gaming. I hopped between various games in order, including a game called "Monolith's Mario", Super Mario Flash 1, and Syobon Action. A while after graduating, I hopped from an IWBTG playthrough to an SMB1 ROM hack, then to TSRP2 and various other SMW hacks. Eventually...

...I found out about SMBX 1.2 in 2009 through YouTube, and I got curious about updates as SMBX felt superior to what I had seen before. Unfortunately, the channel where I found the video playthrough was suspended in 2011, so there's not much else I can work with other than trying it for myself in early 2010. Boy, was I happy to see it get more publicity later on.
Enjl wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote: Should I be offended or proud? XD hahaha
oh my god did you just ping everyone again
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 48&t=13185

Mechamind is on YouTube! - mechamind90 (or my alternate channel)
Setting up elsewhere too - http://www.mechamind.com (plus my forum)

The upper echelon of pixel art? (If you didn't know, I like these games too.)
Click for My DX-Ball 2 playlist or My Rival Ball playlist

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Current Project: TBA ;)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:34 pm

I came in a little late, but I discovered SMBX between late 2013-early 2014. Mostly through [REDACTED]'s videos on SMBX episodes (most of these being Tower of Bias and boss rushes).
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Spoiler: show
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Current Project: The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:57 am

I used to watch a Mario Forever youtube channel called "Daniel's Game Vault" and then he made a let's play of The Invasion 2 & The Great Empire.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Shadow Yoshi, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"A serious joke question" - MECHDRAGON777, 2020

My Project - The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:20 am

I actually found it through the original https://www.supermariobrothers.org site when looking for a fan game. No clue how I found the site though. It was back before August of 2010 though.

ImageImageImage

Jumper
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: Ripping SMW Assets in my free time / (Attempting to) make a fan-game / Within The Castle Walls

Postby Jumper » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:33 am

I don't remember how I got into SMBX, but if I had to guess, it was most likely from MFGG.net (they have a list of Affiliates), and this was back when before 1.3 was released.
Supported Projects: show
thehelmetguy1 wrote: True rules of SMBX:
1-SMB3 graphics ftw
2-SMB3 graphics are the answer to life
3-If you don't use SMB3 graphics you don't know how to make levels
4-SMB3 graphics are the most important thing to have in your level
5-SMB3 graphics were so loved that someone said they were overrated and this person died 1337 times and became a SMB3 graphic. We could make a religion out of this.

SergioZen25
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby SergioZen25 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:44 pm

I don't really remember since I found out a long time ago, played the episodes that came with it and forgot about its existance for some time.
Somehow, youtube recomended me a video about it and I thought it was something new (well, at least the update was, since it was probably 1.3 the last time I played SMBX), then after playing the default episodes, I remembered everything.
Now, for the first time, I'm trying to make some levels, since the new editor feels a lot better to make things on.

Amine Retro
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Chat Username: Bench-kun

Postby Amine Retro » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:52 pm

softonic
my signature
i support: show

MarioLover64
Blooper
Blooper

Postby MarioLover64 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 pm

A certain video by [ REDACTED] on bad level design

SupahKupah
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Chat Username: Supah#8437

Postby SupahKupah » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:51 am

I googled Mario editors and I found a page to download SMBX.
A new group in Facebook for SMBX, this group is in spanish language

Si entiendes esto, es porque hablas español, tenemos canal de Discord de SMBX, en la que puedas compartir tus cosas!
https://discord.gg/fyVV83Z

Dragon0307
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Flair: All Hail Kamek
Current Project: Something for Beta 4

Postby Dragon0307 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:01 am

I found it on SMWCentral as an afiliate link... while trying to learn how to hack NSMBWii. I started with 1.3.0.1 even though Beta 3 was out, although I later installed it on a seperate device.
This ForumPost® is the intellectual property (IP) of Kamekverse LTD. All rights reserved.
UNAUTHORIZED USAGE IS VIABLE FOR CRIMINAL CHARGES ON THE GROUNDS OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
ForumPost® is a registered patent of Kamekverse LTD.
And WHY are all the best episodes in the Projects section?

Nichijou Critic
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: SMWC to SMBX (MyGFXPack)

Postby Nichijou Critic » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:39 pm

i was minding my own bussiness with Super Mario Flash then some guy in xat recommended me SMBX

all he said about it was "it's SMF but better" and that caught my attention
I remember it so you don't have to? i guess...

Return to “General”