Nova Level Contest 2 (It begins!)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts

Re: Nova Level Contest 2 (It begins!)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:09 pm

Yeah, I feel it would be better if the first rule generally stated to keep the player at 1hp excluding mounts. There are ways to "powerup" the player without giving them any health boost. Is the glance of a single super mushroom going to get the creator disqualified?

There's a portion of the wording that feels somewhat sensical, but also a portion that needs a bit more clarification. Specifically: What items are allowed without breaking the rules, besides "No powerups, but mounts are still allowed?"

It only seems like mounts and starman are available when there are other items that can fit in the line (such as the items from Enjl's post like P-Balloon and Mini Mushroom).
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Spoiler: show
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:29 am

again, I have zero idea how there's a P-balloon and mini-mushroom in the game. Probably some scripted NPC pack?

Also that part of "mounts are allowed" happened in a rush while Eclipsed was also absent. I mean you all get the gist of "no powerups" so I'd be very glad if you don't look out for loopholes, or go without mounts.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:31 am

Well that clarified nothing.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby Electriking » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:40 am

Cedur wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:29 am
again, I have zero idea how there's a P-balloon and mini-mushroom in the game.
I have zero idea how an item not being in the game invalidates its use as an example to describe specific scenarios.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:08 am

The deadline is extended by two weeks. (That's going to be the only extension!)

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

MrDoubleA
Bit
Bit

Postby MrDoubleA » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:47 pm

The submission period is officially over.

Hi. I'm not very active on the forums.
(MrDoubleA#3124 on Discord)

rooms.lua - Quick respawn & Celeste-styled rooms
simpleLayerMovement.lua - For all your custom layer movement needs!
MrDoubleA's NPC Pack
Are you a mouse?
I support: show

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:48 pm

I counted through the submissions. It's 37 submissions, right?

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:22 pm

Cedur wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:48 pm
I counted through the submissions. It's 37 submissions, right?
Outside of the Main Graphics Folders
17 lvlx files
4 lvl files
Inside of Graphics Folders
19lvlx
1 lvl
Total
41 levels.
Search for lvl and lvlx files in t he pack but click "Search again in sub folders" (or whatever the German equivalent is)

ImageImageImage

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 pm

Knowing for a fact that Waddle did not submit, this looks sketchy as hell.

It's way too specific to not be ripping off Waddle's level. And since the creator definitely knows about the level, it seems a little disrespectful to try and piggyback off the name.

Is this allowed? I thought "not intentionally copying others' level names" was kinda filed under "common decency".
Of course I could be wrong, but to determine that I would like to see the level and for the creator to explain how the name was chosen.

Sidenote: A similar case maaay be made against that name referencing airship attack. I'm not too focused on that one, though, because one is already an incredibly well-known episode, and the other is a level where the author couldn't even be bothered to spell correctly.

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:34 pm

Enjl wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 pm
Knowing for a fact that Waddle did not submit, this looks sketchy as hell.

It's way too specific to not be ripping off Waddle's level. And since the creator definitely knows about the level, it seems a little disrespectful to try and piggyback off the name.

Is this allowed? I thought "not intentionally copying others' level names" was kinda filed under "common decency".
Of course I could be wrong, but to determine that I would like to see the level and for the creator to explain how the name was chosen.

Sidenote: A similar case maaay be made against that name referencing airship attack. I'm not too focused on that one, though, because one is already an incredibly well-known episode, and the other is a level where the author couldn't even be bothered to spell correctly.
I know it is not common decency to hand out levels to people early, but I thought I would look into it as I did not see that myself when I got the levels. It does not appear to be using assets from Waddle's level, or at least from what I can remember, but I only opened the Graphics folder and not the .lvlx file itself.

ImageImageImage

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:25 am

The author contacted me and explained the inspiration for the name and it happened to be the exact same pun that was made in Waddle's name, which is an incredibly specific coincidence I didn't think would be the case. So, to clarify, there's no copying going on and the levels exist purely separate from one another. The overlapping name situation is quite funny since they pretty much both copy the same song name, but at least the plural "s" serves as a separator between them hah.
I apologize for my harsh tone and judgement from earlier.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:19 pm

It should be fine. Glad it was cleared up though.

ImageImageImage

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:34 pm

Hey as a heads up. In the final copy of the episode, some levels are changed to be easier and less frustrating to play.
As a result, please keep in mind the reviews refer to these levels before the changes so if something doesn't match up that's why.
Also, I've went through all of the levels once. I'm going to go through the levels again at a later point when they're less fresh in my mind. I'm being fairly lenient with judge scores this contest.

Return to “General”