Legacy vs PGE

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Re: Legacy vs PGE

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:37 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:16 pm
SparrowWithASword wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:56 am
> 4. ... it sucks that you can't access battle mode from it as far as I'm aware).
Since recent time, PGE Editor can launch battle mode with SMBX-38A and TheXTech engines. But still, SMBX2 doesn't support that. At the same time, SMBX2 have a broken two-player game support.
This is disingenuous at best.

SMBX2 does have battle mode and multiplayer, exactly as they existed in 1.3. However, since newer features of the engine aren't guaranteed to work well in battle mode (as well as battle mode's general incompleteness), you can only access it via the old 1.3 menu.

Multiplayer works just fine, but SMBX2 characters may not function correctly. Older characters and other SMBX2 things should function just fine.

Wiimeiser
Bit
Bit
Flair: What?

Postby Wiimeiser » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:18 pm

In my experience, legacy autoscroll is virtually useless in SMBX2, and it's much better to use Luna.lua for stuff like that.

Also, I've observed warps in PGE sometimes changing, but only if I save and reload when one doesn't have all available points placed. And even then, it just deletes said warp and shifts the numbers over. Maybe it's just me.

The only 1.3 to 2 incompatibility I've experienced is with inter-level warps, and even then it's fixable just by specifying the file extension.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:38 pm

Wiimeiser wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:18 pm
Also, I've observed warps in PGE sometimes changing, but only if I save and reload when one doesn't have all available points placed. And even then, it just deletes said warp and shifts the numbers over. Maybe it's just me.
Yup, it does that. A warp is a warp. You can't have one with only half.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:49 pm

Wiimeiser wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:18 pm
In my experience, legacy autoscroll is virtually useless in SMBX2
To be totally fair, it hasn't changed. It was virtually useless in 1.3, too.

Fuyu
Wart
Wart

Postby Fuyu » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:52 pm

I have spent over 20 minutes reading a thread expecting to see legitimate points and came out disappointed.

I can see where you're coming from. Like all of us, you've become used to 1.3 UI and you have a hard time moving on. I used to be skeptical about the UI change, but once I got used to the new one there was no doubt in my mind I would never open the legacy editor ever again, unless for nostalgia which I have yet to do even once.

Also, something I would like to point out, which apparently nobody has yet, is that the problem with testing the level not responding has always been a problem for some. In my case when trying to test levels in the legacy editor the whole thing would stop responding and I was forced to task-manager-close the entire thing losing a lot of progress. I don't mean to beat around the bush, but if you prefer legacy then use it, but do keep in mind that PGE will always be here in case you change your mind.

chuckster
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: formerly the socially naive idiot theloaflord

Postby chuckster » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:51 am

thinking from a logical standpoint: it’s pge. in smbx only 3 things limit what you can do - the smbx engine’s limitations, the editor’s limitations, and your imagination. when you have the choice between 2 different editors - with one that grants more creative freedom than the other - you know the one that breaks previously encountered limitations is the superior one - especially in a game reliant on the creativity you express through editors.

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: 狐エンジニア

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:33 am

Hoeloe wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:37 pm
This is disingenuous at best.
I guess, I had to explain incorrectly: yeah, they are works, however, as you explained, newer (over than SMBX64) features won't work properly (with no glitches) in two-player or battle modes.
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:09 am

Just asking, will there be basegame improvements for autoscroll in later versions?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Return to “General”