Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
User avatar
teh_supar_hackr
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:38 pm
Contact:

Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby teh_supar_hackr » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:41 am

I've been wanting to see if I could make a rom hack of a 2d Mario game to see if I could replace the levels with ones from the Invasion 2 episode of SMBX. I was mainly thinking using SMW seeing as that has had some very advanced and cool mods. I think this is possible seeing as the invasion has around 53 levels, and around 15 pipe warp stages, and 6 bonus stages. Most things in the episode have been put in SMW hacks like the enemies, bosses, and others, and am wanting to know how much of the game can be ported in SMW. I have zero experience of Lunar Magic, and haven't used the block changer program that adds new clocks to SMW. If there are any SMW hackers that can maybe help me with this, that's be much appreciated. I did'int know where to post this, and this seems like the best place as it's about porting an episode from SMBX to SMW. I was going to have it edit stages from Mario All-Stars, but there are no tools to make custom stages other than an old DOS program to port SMB1 stages from an NES version to the SNES All-Stars version.

edit: I think that it can be posibble, with a few changes here and there. If anyone wants to help with this project, that'd be cool.

I've uploaded a gameplay video of what I have done so far on my other channel for now.
Last edited by teh_supar_hackr on Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6705
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby Cedur » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:26 am

Do you want to port it to SMW exactly 1:1, including both graphics and mechanics? Say, is it imaginable to port all of the SMB2 mechanics?
Last edited by Cedur on Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
UnoffThrower
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby UnoffThrower » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:26 pm

Cedur wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:26 am
Do you want to port it to SMW exactly 1:1, including both graphics and mechanics? Say, is it imaginable to port all of the SMBX2 mechanics?
Well Mario's Mystery Meat did all kinds of crazy things (Like making an earthbound fight and remaking U.N Squadron) while still staying within the SMW engine so I wouldn't doubt that remaking The Invasion 2 exactly 1:1 would be possible.

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6705
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby Cedur » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:57 pm

*fixed typo, I meant to write SMB2
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8890
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby Enjl » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:02 pm

Biggest problem is resolution and aspect ratio. It'll probably play comparable to how the GBA remakes of the DKC games felt, where sometimes you just had to do blind jumps.
2nd big problem: section size. SMW can't natively do sprawnling sections that extend far along both axes. I'm aware of a script that works around that, but I don't know its name or how complicated it is.
3rd problem: a level in SMBX is not equivalent to a level in SMW. A level in SMW is comparable to a section in SMBX. So if the 50 levels from TI2 use 4 sections on average (assuming each section is short enough to fit into a SMW level), they would fill up 200 level slots, so the size might be tighter than you anticipate.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

User avatar
Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1983
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:50 am
Flair: I've defeated humor

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby Sancles-Chan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:43 pm

Enjl wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:02 pm
2nd big problem: section size. SMW can't natively do sprawnling sections that extend far along both axes. I'm aware of a script that works around that, but I don't know its name or how complicated it is.
This is actually available in lunar magic from the get-go, so this is a non-issue
She/Her
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImage

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8890
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby Enjl » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:28 pm

Sancles-Chan wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:43 pm
Enjl wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:02 pm
2nd big problem: section size. SMW can't natively do sprawnling sections that extend far along both axes. I'm aware of a script that works around that, but I don't know its name or how complicated it is.
This is actually available in lunar magic from the get-go, so this is a non-issue
Oh, it is? I haven't used the newer versions, so that might be it. Very cool, regardless. Thanks for letting me know.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Ginger_Gamer_64
Goomba
Goomba
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 7:49 am

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby Ginger_Gamer_64 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:52 pm

teh_supar_hackr wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:41 am
I've been wanting to see if I could make a rom hack of a 2d Mario game to see if I could replace the levels with ones from the Invasion 2 episode of SMBX. I was mainly thinking using SMW seeing as that has had some very advanced and cool mods. I think this is possible seeing as the invasion has around 53 levels, and around 15 pipe warp stages, and 6 bonus stages. Most things in the episode have been put in SMW hacks like the enemies, bosses, and others, and am wanting to know how much of the game can be ported in SMW. I have zero experience of Lunar Magic, and haven't used the block changer program that adds new clocks to SMW. If there are any SMW hackers that can maybe help me with this, that's be much appreciated. I did'int know where to post this, and this seems like the best place as it's about porting an episode from SMBX to SMW. I was going to have it edit stages from Mario All-Stars, but there are no tools to make custom stages other than an old DOS program to port SMB1 stages from an NES version to the SNES All-Stars version.
Kinda mabye possible, i dont really know, i was also wondering, mabye theyll add invasion 2 on smb2?

User avatar
Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2202
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby Murphmario » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:39 pm

Enjl wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:02 pm
Biggest problem is resolution and aspect ratio. It'll probably play comparable to how the GBA remakes of the DKC games felt, where sometimes you just had to do blind jumps.
2nd big problem: section size. SMW can't natively do sprawnling sections that extend far along both axes. I'm aware of a script that works around that, but I don't know its name or how complicated it is.
3rd problem: a level in SMBX is not equivalent to a level in SMW. A level in SMW is comparable to a section in SMBX. So if the 50 levels from TI2 use 4 sections on average (assuming each section is short enough to fit into a SMW level), they would fill up 200 level slots, so the size might be tighter than you anticipate.
The best idea for the third would probably be to put certain sections into one section that's seperated by a wall. That way, you're wasting less sections.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

User avatar
CJ_RLushi
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:39 pm
Flair: Intention is what matters

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby CJ_RLushi » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:46 pm

This seems like a really fun challenge to do actually, and in the screen crunch problem I think this just would be fixed by adapting the level layout to the smaller SMW one
My episode lol:
Image

User avatar
UnoffThrower
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby UnoffThrower » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:50 pm

CJ_RLushi wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:46 pm
This seems like a really fun challenge to do actually, and in the screen crunch problem I think this just would be fixed by adapting the level layout to the smaller SMW one
Or by implementing a script that zooms out the camera.
I'm not too skilled at rom hacking but somebody is ought to have made it.

User avatar
Destiny
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:40 pm
Flair: Giving up on every project since 2013 :D
Contact:

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby Destiny » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:52 pm

The fun part is working with the limitations. You would have to adapt some levels to fit the smaller screen and make some levels shorter, but that would be the cool part of a hack like this, because I wouldn't play it if it was a 100% identical remake of the original.


UnoffThrower wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:50 pm
Or by implementing a script that zooms out the camera.
I'm not too skilled at rom hacking but somebody is ought to have made it.

But that wouldn't look good, because since you can't increase the resolution, zooming out would make pixels disappear. It would look kinda like this:


Image
Last edited by Destiny on Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image

User avatar
UnoffThrower
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby UnoffThrower » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Destiny wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:52 pm
UnoffThrower wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:50 pm
Or by implementing a script that zooms out the camera.
I'm not too skilled at rom hacking but somebody is ought to have made it.
But that wouldn't look good, because since you can't increase the resolution, zooming out would make pixels disappear. It would look kinda like this:
Image
Maybe somebody made a script that prevents the pixelization, I'll have to search later.

User avatar
Destiny
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:40 pm
Flair: Giving up on every project since 2013 :D
Contact:

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby Destiny » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:11 pm

UnoffThrower wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:06 pm
Destiny wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:52 pm
UnoffThrower wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:50 pm
Or by implementing a script that zooms out the camera.
I'm not too skilled at rom hacking but somebody is ought to have made it.
But that wouldn't look good, because since you can't increase the resolution, zooming out would make pixels disappear. It would look kinda like this:
Image
Maybe somebody made a script that prevents the pixelization, I'll have to search later.
The only way to prevent pixelization would be increasing the SNES internal resolution, which would require a specific emulator with changes to the actual hardware emulation and wouldn't even work properly.
Image

User avatar
UnoffThrower
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby UnoffThrower » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:58 pm

Destiny wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:11 pm
UnoffThrower wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:06 pm
Destiny wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:52 pm


But that wouldn't look good, because since you can't increase the resolution, zooming out would make pixels disappear. It would look kinda like this:
Image
Maybe somebody made a script that prevents the pixelization, I'll have to search later.
The only way to prevent pixelization would be increasing the SNES internal resolution, which would require a specific emulator with changes to the actual hardware emulation and wouldn't even work properly.
But it could be possible, I mean, there are certain NES emulators that can run This rom hack so who knows?

User avatar
Destiny
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:40 pm
Flair: Giving up on every project since 2013 :D
Contact:

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby Destiny » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:23 pm

UnoffThrower wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:58 pm
But it could be possible, I mean, there are certain NES emulators that can run This rom hack so who knows?
That has nothing to do with anything I said and not even with SMW hacking. You CAN change the resolution but it doesn't work properly yet. But the point isn't if it's possible or not, the point is, it's an unecessary amount of work and a waste of time.

As CJ_RLushi said, you can just adapt some level layouts to the smaller screen. Not a big deal. What is the point of making a 1:1 remake anyway?

If you still insist, good luck coding your own emulator then.
Image

User avatar
teh_supar_hackr
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby teh_supar_hackr » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:53 am

Destiny wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:23 pm
UnoffThrower wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:58 pm
But it could be possible, I mean, there are certain NES emulators that can run This rom hack so who knows?
That has nothing to do with anything I said and not even with SMW hacking. You CAN change the resolution but it doesn't work properly yet. But the point isn't if it's possible or not, the point is, it's an unecessary amount of work and a waste of time.

As CJ_RLushi said, you can just adapt some level layouts to the smaller screen. Not a big deal. What is the point of making a 1:1 remake anyway?

If you still insist, good luck coding your own emulator then.
What I plan to do is shorten some of the stages to fit within the limits of SMW. This remake of the episode (or would it be considered demake?) would probably not be EXACT to the original levels of The Invasion 2, but many of them I feel can work as levels in SMW that are already at a decent size like the first level, and bonus stages are the only thing I can think of, but know theres more. As for those levels that are too long, I could do something like cut it up to small sections that does'int completely stop you in an awkward way.

User avatar
Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2202
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby Murphmario » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:01 am

Also, how will you handle the moving layers? As far as I'm aware there's no way to make them accurate to SMBX.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

User avatar
teh_supar_hackr
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby teh_supar_hackr » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:15 am

Murphmario wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:01 am
Also, how will you handle the moving layers? As far as I'm aware there's no way to make them accurate to SMBX.
Not sure, I'll get there once I get there I guess. This is mainly trial and error for me.

User avatar
Destiny
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:40 pm
Flair: Giving up on every project since 2013 :D
Contact:

Re: Would The Invasion 2 Episode In Super Mario World be possible to do?

Postby Destiny » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:18 pm

teh_supar_hackr wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:53 am
What I plan to do is shorten some of the stages to fit within the limits of SMW. This remake of the episode (or would it be considered demake?) would probably not be EXACT to the original levels of The Invasion 2, but many of them I feel can work as levels in SMW that are already at a decent size like the first level, and bonus stages are the only thing I can think of, but know theres more. As for those levels that are too long, I could do something like cut it up to small sections that does'int completely stop you in an awkward way.
That entire reply was to UnoffThrower btw

But yeah, that's pretty cool. I only see a couple of levels being problematic because of their size or mechanics, like Pwnhammer (level15) and Pwnhammer Duece (level25).
Image


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests