What is the BEST cheat code?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Idunn
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: Robotic
Current Project: Super Mario Forces Timeline
Chat Username: Name you never find

Re: What is the BEST cheat code?

Postby Idunn » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:51 am

Animebryan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:23 am
If getting to a certain point over & over in your level is that tedious & difficult, then wouldn't other players feel the same way? Maybe if its that difficult, you should tone down the difficulty? Also, if the level causes softlocking or is 'garbage', why not just stop playing the level & get a hold of the lever designer & give them feedback on how flawed their level is. Not only all that, but having to replay your level over & over again is how you keep your skills sharp.

I make difficult levels myself & I never use cheat codes. I play my levels just as any other fair player would. If my level is so difficult that even I can't beat it reliably, despite playing it the way its designed, then its high time I toned it down.
You sound mad because people told you reason why cheats can be useful.

Of course as a creator yourself you should beat the level you made without cheats duh, but imagine in a contest that a judge cannot score a level because he couldn’t complete it since it’s way too difficult. That’s where the cheats come in.

You can also give the Level Designer Feedback if you had to cheat because the level softlockef you or something, doesn’t mean you gotta stop playing it.

Also this is a Singleplayer Game mostly atm and some people want to have fun.
Things i support!
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

cato
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression
Current Project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Chat Username: Cato

Postby cato » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:27 am

Animebryan wrote:
If getting to a certain point over & over in your level is that tedious & difficult, then wouldn't other players feel the same way? Maybe if it's that difficult, you should tone down the difficulty? Also, if the level causes soft locking or is 'garbage', why not just stop playing the level & get a hold of the level designer & give them feedback on how flawed their level is. Not only all that, but having to replay your level over & over again is how you keep your skills sharp.

I make difficult levels myself & I never use cheat codes. I play my levels just as any other fair player would. If my level is so difficult that even I can't beat it reliably, despite playing it the way its designed, then its high time I toned it down.
Maybe you should play Clashes of Generations without cheatcodes.
That way you will understand the importance of cheatcode on playing "others" levels, instead of relying the creator in testing the level themselves.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:00 am

Animebryan wrote:
If getting to a certain point over & over in your level is that tedious & difficult, then wouldn't other players feel the same way? Maybe if its that difficult, you should tone down the difficulty? Also, if the level causes softlocking or is 'garbage', why not just stop playing the level & get a hold of the lever designer & give them feedback on how flawed their level is. Not only all that, but having to replay your level over & over again is how you keep your skills sharp.

Cheat codes exist in video games for the purposes of testing. Sometimes you only want to test a specific area of a level. If said area takes place 2 minutes into the level, then playing through those 2 minutes of level normally every time is going to get time consuming very quickly, and make the process of building your level/game take much longer, hence you would want to employ methods of skipping to the area you specifically wanting to test. In SMBX, that can be done by using cheat codes, moving the start point or starting from a checkpoint/warp. Following proper testing procedure does involve playing your game from start to finish and ideally getting others to test it as well.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:07 am

Animebryan wrote:Not only all that, but having to replay your level over & over again is how you keep your skills sharp.

props to you if you don't get frustrated from plenty of deaths. I don't have infinite free time on playing episodes, so if I'm badly stuck in a level and don't want to waste time, I sometimes decide to "cheat" by editing the level and adding a powerup or warp or something. (more reliable than cheating and using redigitiscool)

and yeah if the level is badly designed then the creator should be given feedback of course, but that's not always trivially possible, especially when it's a part of an episode.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Animebryan
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: Need help!
Current Project: Star of Darkness

Postby Animebryan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:19 pm

Idunn wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:51 am
Animebryan wrote:

You sound mad because people told you reason why cheats can be useful.

Of course as a creator yourself you should beat the level you made without cheats duh, but imagine in a contest that a judge cannot score a level because he couldn’t complete it since it’s way too difficult. That’s where the cheats come in.

You can also give the Level Designer Feedback if you had to cheat because the level softlockef you or something, doesn’t mean you gotta stop playing it.

Also this is a Singleplayer Game mostly atm and some people want to have fun.
In what way did I sound mad? Me thinks you presume too much. I can understand using cheats for testing, I'm just more hardcore & old fashioned about testing my levels the way a fair player would play them. As for judging a level, if I were a judge & couldn't beat someone's level because it was too difficult within, say 30 tries, then I would would stop playing the level & give my ratings for the level, with a low score or 0 for difficulty.
Need serious help with Lua based features :(

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:51 am

Goddamn, I mean even if you give up on a level that doesn't mean the level sucks. With that take about difficulty score revealed I think I wouldn't wanna see you judge levels.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Postby Eclipsed » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 am

Animebryan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:19 pm
I can understand using cheats for testing,
No, you should never use cheat codes for testing since that literally defeats the entire purpose of testing the level.
Imagine someone using shadowstar to pass through most of the level and then they don't notice that a certain section is actually impossible and stuff like that.
Moreover, if you're using cheats because you don't want to do a certain part of a level again, there's clearly something wrong with the level such as lacking enough checkpoints or that section just being obnoxious.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:19 am

Eclipsed wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 am
No, you should never use cheat codes for testing since that literally defeats the entire purpose of testing the level.
Imagine someone using shadowstar to pass through most of the level and then they don't notice that a certain section is actually impossible and stuff like that.
Moreover, if you're using cheats because you don't want to do a certain part of a level again, there's clearly something wrong with the level such as lacking enough checkpoints or that section just being obnoxious.
There's a difference between the initial tests of a level, and other kinds of testing, like for example testing an episode. You seem to be conflating the two.

I've been testing my episode for the past week and like I alluded to in a previous post, it's a waste of time to play dozens of levels if your objective is to see if the game's progression flags are being set correctly after each level's completion, or if you wanna see if something in a certain area spawned correctly, or if you wanna see if your collectibles are registered correctly. I have 7 save files so far, some of which are dedicated to bug-hunting, some of which have become obsolete, some are still stuck on level 1 because I tested the intro, and some of which I just ran through with mylifegoals and theessenjls to check certain progression flags. If I played every level every time, half the bugs would probably remain unnoticed and I would've only been able to do a quarter of the testing (optimistically).

Besides, even for testing levels, cheats are perfectly fine. One cheat I always use is a very subtle one called "moving the start position to the area I want to test". Using this cheat has no bearing on whether the level will be tested in full later, all it does is improve the testing speed.

So overall the legitimacy of the cheat depends on your objective. Testing, having fun, overcoming a tedious obstacle... None are inherently bad.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Idunn
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: Robotic
Current Project: Super Mario Forces Timeline
Chat Username: Name you never find

Postby Idunn » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:22 am

Animebryan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:19 pm
In what way did I sound mad? Me thinks you presume too much. I can understand using cheats for testing, I'm just more hardcore & old fashioned about testing my levels the way a fair player would play them. As for judging a level, if I were a judge & couldn't beat someone's level because it was too difficult within, say 30 tries, then I would would stop playing the level & give my ratings for the level, with a low score or 0 for difficulty.

Yeah that wouldn’t be fit for a level judge tbh, might auswelle replace said judge with someone who beats the level and gives it a fair score despite it’s difficulty.
Things i support!
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Postby Eclipsed » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:42 pm

Enjl wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:19 am
There's a difference between the initial tests of a level, and other kinds of testing, like for example testing an episode. You seem to be conflating the two.
I think you're misunderstanding the point of my post. I was referring to testing a single level, not an episode. I haven't even mentioned testing an episode at all in my post. However, your discussion testing an episode is really useful.
Also, I should've made it more clear I was referring to the initial few tests of a level. (and using cheat codes to skip a portion because the author themselves finds it to obnoxious is a bad thing. They should be fine playing it once or twice more, if they're not there's clearly something wrong with the level). I wasn't referring to testing something for the 10th time in completion since that's just ridiculous.

Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:42 pm
Enjl wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:19 am
I think you're misunderstanding the point of my post. I was referring to testing a single level, not an episode. I haven't even mentioned testing an episode at all in my post. However, your discussion testing an episode is really useful.
Also, I should've made it more clear I was referring to the initial few tests of a level. (and using cheat codes to skip a portion because the author themselves finds it to obnoxious is a bad thing. They should be fine playing it once or twice more, if they're not there's clearly something wrong with the level). I wasn't referring to testing something for the 10th time in completion since that's just ridiculous.
I agree! It's better to test your own single level without cheat to check if it has errors or not, or if the level is unfairly difficult or not. About test other levels, if it has any errors or is unfairly difficult, the cheat will be good in these moments. Using a cheat for fun is nice too. (imo)

↓↓ Hey! Check my new episode! Thanks :) ↓↓

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:45 pm

Oh, by the way, a common occurrence where I use donthurtme are excessive multi-phase boss fights that drag all the more every time you die.

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:39 pm

I tend to avoid cheats unless I am testing a level I made or someone else has made. Usually when I am given multiple WIP builds, or when I have started to get into the twentieth plus test. The cheats I tend to use for testing include: theessenjls, ahippinandahopping, shadowstar, donthurtme, speeddemon, showframerate, imtiredofallthiswalkimg illparkwhereiwant, liveforever, and the like. I however always give a level/episode a fair shot and either beat it legitimately or not at all.

ImageImageImage

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:49 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:ahippinandahopping

jumpman is so much easier to type (and that's quite the reason it was created xd)

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:21 pm

Cedur wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:49 pm
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:ahippinandahopping

jumpman is so much easier to type (and that's quite the reason it was created xd)
Believe this or not, I have misspelled "jumpman" more times than I have misspelled "ahippinandahopping". I ussualy use "theessenjls" though since it also contains "shadowstarx" as a cheat.

ImageImageImage

Return to “General”