Can anyone recommend me any good episodes?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
joelcanciones
Rex
Rex

Can anyone recommend me any good episodes?

Postby joelcanciones » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:21 pm

Are there any good episodes made since 2019 untill now? Thanks in advance.

King Mario
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Chat Username: Guardian

Re: Can anyone recommend me any good episodes?

Postby King Mario » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:42 pm

I can gladly give you a list of Episodes that you'll probably like.

SMBX2B4:
Super Mario Zeal (Demo)
Trouble On Purple Planet
SM Signal Interferance
Subcon Hearts

Other:
The Restoration (This was actually made in 2016 but I think you'll end up liking it anyway. Also you may fall in love with some of the music.)
SM2DUX
The Crystal Orbs
Mario's Episode (Made with SMBX 1.0, probably compatible with any Version.)
My Demo For My B3 Project, Mario And Luigi's Crusade

Good Older Episodes, Just in Case:
Reign Of The Gatekeepers
The Great Empire 1-3 (Basically the Trilogy)
Super Mario Star Expedition

NOT Recommended:
The Great Empire X

Also I believe you'll probably like to play my 3-level Demo for my B4 project when it comes out. It will have an interesting game-play objective, and I'm making sure to play-test my levels before I release them for others. I think you're going to like it.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:31 am

I don't really agree with this being a list of "good episodes".

Eclipsed says Subcon Hearts is just meh and only good to kill time.
The Crystal Orbs is pretty much alright but not outstanding.
You also suggest a 1.0 episode, which can't be good in any way (1.0 basically had nothing).
TGE 1-3 is some classic nostalgia.

Some noteworthy entries of recent episodes:
- Unknown68's Epic Quest (a very large episode with many NSMBWii references, still under polishing but pretty good to go already)
- A SMBX Episode by SPEEDIE (had a lot of fixes, should be p good to go)
- New Super Mario Bros DS Remastered by Bottle_of_Water
- Bestified The Power of Style by Sancles (another installment of Sancles' series of "troll" episodes (trolls done in a good way))
- The Gloaming Realm by Daring Tombstone

EDIT: why does nobody ever mention Mystic Atlus
Last edited by Cedur on Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

cato
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression
Current Project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Chat Username: Cato

Postby cato » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:56 am

Consistent list of good episodes:

Super Mario Star Expedition, Mario Classic, Airship Attack, Restoration, Gloaming Realm, The New World 2, Mix World 2, Tower of Biased series (late-game levels), Reign of the Gatekeeper, Super Mario Galaxy X, Luigi Fight the Mushroom Kingdom, Apocalypse of Froze, New Great Castle Adventure, Super Talking Time Bros, Yoshi's Archipelago

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Postby Eclipsed » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:11 pm

cato wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:56 am
Consistent list of good episodes:

Super Mario Star Expedition, Mario Classic, Airship Attack, Restoration, Gloaming Realm, The New World 2, Mix World 2, Tower of Biased series (late-game levels), Reign of the Gatekeeper, Super Mario Galaxy X, Luigi Fight the Mushroom Kingdom, Apocalypse of Froze, New Great Castle Adventure, Super Talking Time Bros, Yoshi's Archipelago
Also, they requested episodes that were made past 2019

1 - Super Mario Star Expedition is not a good episode, a lot of it is unnecessary switch hunts and the post game levels are actually not well designed
2 - Mario Classic is fine and shapes up decently well
3 - Airship Attack is made by a person banned from the forums who we don't want their stuff promoted as a result of what they did. Please stop talking about this episode
4 - Restoration is not a good episode. The author says that the episode is not really good. Why don't you recommend their newer episode which is of much higher quality?
5 - Gloaming Realm is a fine episode, it feels a bit like a tech demo
6 - The New World 2 is fine, however some of the levels don't function properly. Recommend stuff that actually works. It's getting an update though.
7 - Mix World 2 is not a good episode. A lot of the levels were basically boiled down to hit a switch, wait for something to move. Moreover, a lot of the secret star placements were really cryptic for no reason and placed in bad locations
8 - Tower of Biased Series late-game levels are not good. A lot of the judging was literally biased during the late-game and as a result bad levels got pushed to the forefront due to voting for friends' levels
9 - Reign of The Gatekeeper really is not a good episode, the late game devolved into haphazard enemy placements and was almost nearing enemy spam.
10 - Look at 3, that same person made a third of this game.
11 - Luigi's Fight For The Mushroom Kingdom is not a good episode. The issue with that one is that each world felt like one level that was really dragged out. And as a result dodging enemies during late game felt really repetitive especially since you basically had to wait every 3 screens.
12 - Apocalypse of Foroze isn't a good episode due to the fact that 90% of the secret stars are replaying the level again, which pads out the gameplay without adding anythng new. The other 5% is collecting random collectibles which wastes a bunch of time finding them and the other 5% is getting a powerup from another level when that powerup should be in the level itself. There's literally a dev exit in the world 2 pyramid because the author himself did not feel like playing the level again while testing.
13 - New Great Castle Adventure only has good levels late-game. The stars in this episode were put in really obscure locations that were not reasonable at all, so in essence the secret exits makes this episode worse.
14 - Super Talking Time Bros is not a good episode. It's just a bunch of generic SMB3 levels and is really nothing special. Unless you meant to say 2 and 2.5
15 - Yoshi's Archipelago is literally the only episode that's really good in your list.

Added in 21 minutes 42 seconds:
King Mario wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:42 pm
I can gladly give you a list of Episodes that you'll probably like.

SMBX2B4:
Subcon Hearts

Other:
SM2DUX
The Crystal Orbs

Good Older Episodes, Just in Case:
Reign Of The Gatekeepers
The Great Empire 1-3 (Basically the Trilogy)
1. They asked for episodes that were made after 2019 and subcon hearts has a bunch of obnoxious maze levels that severely degrade the quality of the episode
2. This episode doesn't function properly, it needs like 3-5 patches to work
3. Crystal Orbs is literally just a worse version of invasion 2. A lot of the levels were based off of invasion 2, and the designer made them worse.
4. This is alright for a first episode but its not really something that I'd recommend
5. The Great Empire 1-2 is a bunch of simple short smb3 levels that are really nothing special and are just generic. The Great Empire 3 is not a good episode, each level has 5 stars and multiple times you have to beat sections of a level you already did to get another one. There's literally one level where you have to beat an 2 minute section 8 times to 100% it. Moreover, a lot of the secret stars are literally just falling down random pits or clipping through walls. Moreover, there's parts of the episode unnecessarily hidden in way out of the way locations in the main hub.

Added in 2 minutes 29 seconds:
Cedur wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:31 am
I don't really agree with this being a list of "good episodes".

Some noteworthy entries of recent episodes:
- Unknown68's Epic Quest (a very large episode with many NSMBWii references, still under polishing but pretty good to go already)
- A SMBX Episode by SPEEDIE (had a lot of fixes, should be p good to go)
- New Super Mario Bros DS Remastered by Bottle_of_Water
- Bestified The Power of Style by Sancles (another installment of Sancles' series of "troll" episodes (trolls done in a good way))
- The Gloaming Realm by Daring Tombstone

EDIT: why does nobody ever mention Mystic Atlus
1. Do you know when Epic Quest will finish it's update. I'd like to take a look at some point.
2. Did this episode actually finally fix all the issues it had? or are there still random lua crashes.
3. I have no opinions either way about this episode
4. The last 2 options are decent and I agree with them.
5. Mystic Atlus is not a good episode. A lot of the levels legitimately have haphazard placements and in fact some of the very first levels in that episode are from when stageleft first designed in smbx without a grasp on level design. So 3 of the 9 worlds are just levels with random blocks scattered around. No one mentions this episode because it's not good and he knows parts of the episode aren't that great.

Added in 4 minutes 45 seconds:
joelcanciones wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:21 pm
Are there any good episodes made since 2019 untill now? Thanks in advance.

Since no one actually answered this question by talking about episodes that were made before 2019 and including a bunch of mediocre episodes in their responses, Here's my List:
All of these have a rating of a 6 or above.
1. The Gloaming Realm (has to use beta 3)
2. Trouble From Purple Planet (there's a bug in the engine not the episode's fault that might make the 2nd level not playable)
3. Super Mario Signal Interference
4. A SMBX Episode (if it functions properly)
5. BetterifiVed - Subtle Subtitle + The Dimension Master's Lament

Added in 53 seconds:
As a bonus: you should really play this:
Bestified The Power of Style by Sancles

You'll feel really accomplished after you play it.

Idunn
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: Robotic
Current Project: Super Mario Forces Timeline
Chat Username: Name you never find

Postby Idunn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:29 am

I disagree on the part of people including "mediocre episodes"

Some of them are in the good category to me but that’s your opinion on them.

I remember that TGE Trilogy was one of the most liked episodes made by Knux, it’s a true classic.
Things i support!
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:41 am

Eclipsed wrote:Do you know when Epic Quest will finish it's update. I'd like to take a look at some point.

Unknown told me that he's on an infinite hiatus with updating the episode. I left his server bc there was nothing happening in it. Kind of a stupid move bc now I lost access to my betatesting notes; I hope he's around to let me back in.
Eclipsed wrote:2. Did this episode actually finally fix all the issues it had? or are there still random lua crashes.

I dunno, I need to figure it out myself eventually.

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:54 am

In Epic Quest? That's in Peach's Castle right at the beginning ...

computerfan0
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: Edosipe?
Current Project: Firing in spurts.
Chat Username: computerfan0

Postby computerfan0 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:48 am

Eclipsed wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:41 pm
3 - Airship Attack is made by a person banned from the forums who we don't want their stuff promoted as a result of what they did. Please stop talking about this episode
cough, cough Novaverse.

Seriously though, there are still Novaverse banners everywhere on the forums, despite the creator being banned. Him leaving the project (less than a month ago) doesn't change the fact that he is banned. Meanwhile, the episode you mention was released years ago and is definitely no longer worked on, yet we should stop talking about it?
(GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
computerfan0's Backloggery
computerfan0 on Reddit
computerfan0 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 21125827641 8:11 pm
quoting myself, why

Idunn
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: Robotic
Current Project: Super Mario Forces Timeline
Chat Username: Name you never find

Postby Idunn » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:47 am

computerfan0 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:48 am
Seriously though, there are still Novaverse banners everywhere on the forums, despite the creator being banned. Him leaving the project (less than a month ago) doesn't change the fact that he is banned. Meanwhile, the episode you mention was released years ago and is definitely no longer worked on, yet we should stop talking about it?
Lemme clear something up here.

The Airship Attack Episode is ONLY created by the one dude who got banned for personal reasons!

The Novaverse isn't something OWNED by ONE Guy, i also heard that the Novaverse is being reworked because said banned person left SMBX and the Novaverse.

THe Novaverse again, has multiple people leading it like LGL and Cedur, while again Airship Attack was by ONE and ONLY ONE guy who we shouldn't speak of and THEY also left SMBX because there hasn't been anything new from SMBX on their Channel!!
Things i support!
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:20 am

computerfan, you know why bossedit was banned, so I hope you can see the difference.
Though I hope the community learns to distinguish between persons and creations ... like, Airship Attack is not indecent in itself, so why pretend that it doesn't exist? why not pretend that it was made by someone anonymous?

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:57 am

computerfan0 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:48 am
Eclipsed wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:41 pm
cough, cough Novaverse.

There's a difference being banned for toxicity and talking behind people's back and being banned for doing something that probably trespasses in the territory of doing something that people would not forgive you for at all.

cato
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression
Current Project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Chat Username: Cato

Postby cato » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:31 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:57 am
There's a difference being banned for toxicity and talking behind people's back and being banned for doing something that probably trespasses in the territory of doing something that people would not forgive you for at all.
Can't we just forget all that happened? It has been 5 months since that happened and he came back eventually. He learnt and changed himself (I hope), and probably became a better person doing YT stuff. His fans seem unknown to the issue, let keep it at that.

Sure, he did something unforgivable, and probably give him a lot of trouble to throw his past away. That thing is a one-time thing, while toxicity is a thing that keeps happening in everyone's daily life. It is something that keeps building up constantly until it snaps. Thankfully, he didn't do it multiple times before he was caught. That thing is unforgivable, but what's more unforgivable is that people keep saying what he did, even though it is not okay to talk behind someone's back.

It is not a simple witch-hunting, where we judge people over one single thing black and white. And every time people mention him/his works, the first thing we know is that he did the thing. It has been 5 months, and we are still talking about it just because Airship Attack was a good episode to play, and that's the impression of people viewing that simple episode. We are talking to a person, not a computer screen, and we don't even get the full picture and his side of the story.

Please, stop using what they did wrong to overthrow their achievements down to the deepest void. It is tiring, and it is unforgivable to keep talking about it.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:41 pm

cato wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:31 pm
Eclipsed wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:57 am
Ping
You literally have no idea what happened, which is part of the issue. This is something that if happened would kick you out of any community that finds out about it. In essence, people have agreed to let him be on youtube, but we prefer not to mention him on the forums.

Return to “General”