The Current Problem with SMBX

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
SBells27
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:23 pm
Flair: Working on a new project right now.
Contact:

The Current Problem with SMBX

Postby SBells27 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:10 pm

I feel like for over the last months or so, I always felt that there was something that felt pretty empty on the SMBX Community. Was it too small? Well maybe, but it isn't exactly the problem here. Don't take this forum post as an attack, or an insult to anything or anyone, this is just my personal opinion and what I felt for almost the entire time I been using SMBX.

So what's the problem? There's very little substance on the overall talk of episodes. While people also enjoy doing levels and gfx, I always saw SMBX mainly as an engine to create your own projects and share it to the community. Problem is, I barely see people give their thoughts on episodes. There's no episode of the year/month or even decade contest around (I mean, if there's a level of the year contest, why not for episodes?), and barely I see people talk about their favorite/least favorite episodes. With the exception of the very old episodes, it seems that there's never really discussion of a popular episode creator, or an episode that is generally generating popularity, interest and talk. Last time that I saw that happen was with SMB0 back in May 2018 which is almost 2 years old at this point. Seems kinda sad to me, since episodes are big projects that generally take months to make, they're basically games being made with the SMBX engine. And there's the SMBX Worlds, which hasn't been updated since... November 2018. Eclipsed has been doing a marathon of beating every single smbx episode, which I do apreciate a lot, but I do still feel like there's a lack of talk in the episodes department.

Also, I'm going to break the elephant in the room here. The community is... ridiculously divided. Not to say the recent versions are bad. I still haven't tried 2.0 so I can't say it's a bad engine, and I know that a lot of people love 2.0, but it has been a version that wasn't able to bring everyone because of its overly different engine. This all started with 38A, which I believe it mainly started to divide the community as a whole because it wasn't made by the same creators. Now this isn't all bad, since 38A still used an engine that was similar to 1.3, so it didn't cause all that much division. But then, out of nowhere 2.0 appeared... using a completely different engine out of nowhere, which again, I'm not saying is bad, but you can't deny the division it cost. Doesn't help that 2.0 was also not made neither by Redigit or by 38A.

What do you think? If there's something I'm missing, tell it down below.
Last edited by SBells27 on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SMBX YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJbYuy ... _z3srbCohQ
Latest Bells's Episode: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25034
(Currently on Hiatus)
Image

User avatar
Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1277
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:18 pm
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:22 pm

SBells27 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:10 pm
But then, out of nowhere 2.0 appeared... using a completely different engine out of nowhere, which is again, I'm not saying is bad, but you can't deny the division it cost. Doesn't help that 2.0 was also not made neither by Redigit or by 38A.
You are aware this is completely the reverse of what happened right?

38A uses a completely different engine, while SMBX2 is an expansion on the original SMBX made by Redigit.

SBells27
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:23 pm
Flair: Working on a new project right now.
Contact:

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby SBells27 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:07 pm

Hoeloe wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:22 pm
SBells27 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:10 pm
But then, out of nowhere 2.0 appeared... using a completely different engine out of nowhere, which is again, I'm not saying is bad, but you can't deny the division it cost. Doesn't help that 2.0 was also not made neither by Redigit or by 38A.
You are aware this is completely the reverse of what happened right?

38A uses a completely different engine, while SMBX2 is an expansion on the original SMBX made by Redigit.
Perhaps I used the wrong word. I meant level editors as a whole.
SMBX YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJbYuy ... _z3srbCohQ
Latest Bells's Episode: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25034
(Currently on Hiatus)
Image

User avatar
Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1277
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:18 pm
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:46 pm

If you're talking specifically about the editors, neither use the original editor. Both use new ones, but 38A was styled after Redigits (including all of its many, many flaws such as the lack of copy and paste and undo functionality), while SMBX2 opted for a more fully-featured editor, allowing for more features with a more streamlined design.

Let's also not forget that PGE has partial support for 38A, and a fair few 38A users also use PGE for editing levels.

I don't think this "division" is as huge as you claim it is, certainly not any more. There was some strange animosity thrown around a few years ago by some bad actors, but generally most people are of the view you should just use what you prefer.

And as for "SMBX2 hasn't been able to bring people together", it's weird to single out SMBX2 for that since 38A hasn't exactly done a better job of "unifying" this apparently "divided" community. Let's also quietly not mention that SMBX2 has a generally larger userbase at the moment (I am not making a value judgement with this statement, just an observation).

I think you've just made a lot of assumptions based on your immediately perception, though they aren't at all accurate.

User avatar
cato
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 am
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression
Contact:

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby cato » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:11 am

I think the biggest problem is the members.

Most SMBX 2013 veterans left/took a break/banned/went to Talkhaus/move on their life etc.
In return, we got some great creators joining making great levels, episodes, Lua stuff and even more.
It isn't a bad thing, but SMBX forums have lost its charm with most of its iconic members gone.

As an additional note dated now, we have a lot of new, yet immature members that vent their frustration on some minor error in all CAPs, that some other members have to deal with them.
I would agree partially about the division. Recently, a guy complained about 2.0 for not having "good stuff" as 38A. I don't really see much discussion about 38A here. Either people asking are the episode 38A or compatibility.

However, SMBX2 does bring people together, we held a lot more contest ( as I know ) than people in 38A. The colour contest, MAGLX3, the GE, the Vanilla contest etc. A lot of forum threads are going to reach 100 pages. Threads in sandboxes are better, just because everyone got to share their opinions and experience with others.
Freedom, Human Rights, Fairness, Democracy, Rule of Law, Righteousness, Courageness, Human Nature, Conscience, Goodwill, Ethics, Beliefs, Hope.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8882
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Enjl » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:34 am

I don't mind the fact that episodes aren't talked about much because they're the reason 90% of the community work on levels in secret that never see the light of day to begin with. Standalone levels are much more important than episodes and you can see the impact not having episodes has on the Mario Maker 2 community, which is a very supportive and cooperative community where most people only spend up to a couple of weeks on any particular project, compared to a couple of years in this community.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

User avatar
Troopa Koopa321
Banned
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:14 am
Flair: egg

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Troopa Koopa321 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:08 am

I partially agree with your post. So far I haven’t seen projects in the projects forum get much attention since I’ve been here for the last couple of months and they are largely ignored or go unnoticed by other members. Sad thing is some of them are actually really interesting and good. Same goes with episodes. It makes me feel kinda bad for the people who put a lot of hard work into there episode for only no one to play it when it’s finished. So I largely agree that people not giving their overall opinions or disussing recent episodes or projects is a problem.

Smbx 2.0,38a both has its advantages and disadvantages and people has there choice to choose one. Smbx2 isn’t a completely different engine because it was built off the original 1.3 version of smbx from what I know. They are all similar because they are all based off the same game. But people should stop arguing which one is better and instead help each other out.
No matter where u go I am watching you.
Image


Interesting projects.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Yoe she
Banned
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:34 pm
Flair: I haven’t played smbx for 3 years....

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Yoe she » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:09 am

Eh. I just think this place doesn’t like new members and newbies.
planned project.
Image

User avatar
Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:22 am

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Reign » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:32 am

Enjl wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:34 am
I don't mind the fact that episodes aren't talked about much because they're the reason 90% of the community work on levels in secret that never see the light of day to begin with. Standalone levels are much more important than episodes and you can see the impact not having episodes has on the Mario Maker 2 community, which is a very supportive and cooperative community where most people only spend up to a couple of weeks on any particular project, compared to a couple of years in this community.
I have the opposite opinion. Mainly because I would most likely never even download a single level to play, it just does not interest me. A full episode with lots of quality levels, that is something I could see myself spending time on. The single thing that makes SMBX better than Mario Maker (for me), is the fact that you can create and play full gaming experiences, aka, episodes.

I very much agree with the OP. Episodes need to get a lot more attention on this site. At the very least the "SMBX Worlds" section should be updated.
Episodes released:

User avatar
Yoe she
Banned
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:34 pm
Flair: I haven’t played smbx for 3 years....

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Yoe she » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:03 am

Reign wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:32 am
Enjl wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:34 am
I don't mind the fact that episodes aren't talked about much because they're the reason 90% of the community work on levels in secret that never see the light of day to begin with. Standalone levels are much more important than episodes and you can see the impact not having episodes has on the Mario Maker 2 community, which is a very supportive and cooperative community where most people only spend up to a couple of weeks on any particular project, compared to a couple of years in this community.
I have the opposite opinion. Mainly because I would most likely never even download a single level to play, it just does not interest me. A full episode with lots of quality levels, that is something I could see myself spending time on. The single thing that makes SMBX better than Mario Maker (for me), is the fact that you can create and play full gaming experiences, aka, episodes.

I very much agree with the OP. Episodes need to get a lot more attention on this site. At the very least the "SMBX Worlds" section should be updated.
Ikr most of the episodes in smbx worlds are all from the old legacy editor and are already about 3-4 years old now or even older, they should pretty much be dated now. New episodes and projects in the forums currently needs to have a chance to shine, especially if you guys want to promote smbx2 so badly. They are just hogging the space for newer creators. Like how is maglx2 still up there?
planned project.
Image

User avatar
Saltlord
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:28 pm
Flair: bruh
Contact:

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Saltlord » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:21 am

The problem with projects is that they simply require an amount of time-investment most people are understandably not willing to commit to. Therefore, the frequency at which episodes are released is very low. It wouldn't make much sense to hold an episode of the month contest when three to four episodes come out in a month.

And recently, there has been more discussion about episodes, as proven by the three threads:
https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... 69&t=25231
https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... 69&t=25233
https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... 69&t=25219

Image

Image


User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6685
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Cedur » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:50 pm

Yeah I'd definitely say update the Episodes tab to contain ALL featured episodes from 2014 and 2017, and eventually resume featured Episodes again in the middle term.
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
Yoe she
Banned
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:34 pm
Flair: I haven’t played smbx for 3 years....

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Yoe she » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:54 pm

Cedur wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:50 pm
Yeah I'd definitely say update the Episodes tab to contain ALL featured episodes from 2014 and 2017, and eventually resume featured Episodes again in the middle term.
I think the episodes from 2014-17 already has had there time. Why not newer ones instead to at least give smbx worlds a fresher start?
planned project.
Image

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8882
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Enjl » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Reign wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:32 am
The single thing that makes SMBX better than Mario Maker (for me), is the fact that you can create and play full gaming experiences, aka, episodes.
I wrote the previous post within like 5 minutes this morning and kind of regret not going more in depth, so I would like to do so now. I'm not trying to change your mind, but I hope you will get a clearer picture of the angle from which I'm coming on this matter.

I very much prefer playing 50 levels that are released on completion over watching 5 episodes with 10/50 levels completed get cancelled and those levels never seeing the light of day. With SMBX2 playing a level is as simple as extracting the zip and double-clicking the level file, which is a very quick procedure. So I sometimes just play random levels people uploaded in my free time after extracting them to the desktop, and deleting the folder when I'm done with it.
On top of that, the episodes that DO make it through are often under heavy pressure from the long time spent on making them, leading to a nonzero amount of those levels either being rushed or outright cut from the initial package (I've cancelled a good dozen episodes myself). So I find standalone levels to often be more rich gaming experiences than an episode. The fact that the latter barely ever has anything tieing the levels together beyond a superficial promise of a plot contributes to that feeling. Of course there are exceptions, but the vast majority of episodes are a string of Mario levels put onto an overworld to join them together (and there's no problem with that).
As for those exceptions... they're great, of course! But part of me also thinks that we would see many more of them if less emphasis was put on episodes in general. The quickest way to learn is by tackling small projects, so someone who made single levels for a few years and worked their way to making a ~15 level episodes will not only have vastly more levels released by the end than someone who started out by making an episode, but the episode will also be of higher quality and has a higher likelihood of even getting finished, because the person knows what they're in for in an episode, because they know their level-making-workflow and the scope of the whole ordeal.

The culture revolving around judging by screenshots and everyone working on-their-own is perpetuated by the secretness in which most episodes are kept, as well as the long development periods (it's 2020 and most feedback I see around is still about visuals). Meanwhile, SMM2 community members encourage each other to upload drafts of their levels for feedback and you'll find levels uploaded to the game that have dozens of revisions because people interact with each other on short-term projects. They even manage to make collabs in a single-player engine without a file-sharing system. Simpleflips has a similar kind of dynamic built around his frequently hosted romhack competitions. The atmosphere is so much more friendly than over here. I wish this community could do the same as it would help alleviate the problem of someone dunking themselves into the cold water of a 60 level episode with the illusion that their first project will be the next big thing. I don't have a solution for this, at least none that works in tandem with the existence of episodes.
At the end of that ramble I would like to point out that a released package of submissions to Level of the Month would fill a similar role to an episode release a month, I think. Even if they're just lvlx files in a folder for you to double-click and play. But de-emphasizing episodes would allow the currently-around-10 standalone levels per month to rise to double, as people who in this reality don't work on episodes might have ideas for levels to make over a weekend or so. And the more levels people release, the more feedback and advice they can get, the more they can share their ideas with others, and the better their releases will become. There isn't too much different between that reality and having one well-made episode worth of content per month, I think.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Aero
Administrator
Posts: 4697
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Aero » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:11 pm

I'd just like to say that featured episodes on the site died with the "Month of..." announcements. It was staff selecting content on an arbitrary time scale. A lot of SMBX staff don't play, or play enough to select content and give it a meaningful showcase. Sometimes there just wasn't anything substantial enough to showcase in a given month, and/or staff couldn't give valuable input on whether to showcase one episode or another. In my view I'm okay with episode showcases as long as it's on the community's pace and not the staff's on some schedule. The episodes and gfx pages are collecting dust though and that is a negative consequence of this. I'd also like to note that each of the site's pages are collections of forum links anyway and that's also something that should probably be changed. Ultimately I don't think the question is going to be on the emphasis of episodes, but rather how can all of the creativity from the SMBX community be showcased and be kept up with? Episode emphasis is part of that but not the whole question. This goes into graphics, code, videos/streaming, etc. I'd like to hear input on that really.

SBells27
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:23 pm
Flair: Working on a new project right now.
Contact:

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby SBells27 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:21 pm

Enjl wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:31 pm
Reign wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:32 am
The single thing that makes SMBX better than Mario Maker (for me), is the fact that you can create and play full gaming experiences, aka, episodes.
I wrote the previous post within like 5 minutes this morning and kind of regret not going more in depth, so I would like to do so now. I'm not trying to change your mind, but I hope you will get a clearer picture of the angle from which I'm coming on this matter.

I very much prefer playing 50 levels that are released on completion over watching 5 episodes with 10/50 levels completed get cancelled and those levels never seeing the light of day. With SMBX2 playing a level is as simple as extracting the zip and double-clicking the level file, which is a very quick procedure. So I sometimes just play random levels people uploaded in my free time after extracting them to the desktop, and deleting the folder when I'm done with it.
On top of that, the episodes that DO make it through are often under heavy pressure from the long time spent on making them, leading to a nonzero amount of those levels either being rushed or outright cut from the initial package (I've cancelled a good dozen episodes myself). So I find standalone levels to often be more rich gaming experiences than an episode. The fact that the latter barely ever has anything tieing the levels together beyond a superficial promise of a plot contributes to that feeling. Of course there are exceptions, but the vast majority of episodes are a string of Mario levels put onto an overworld to join them together (and there's no problem with that).
As for those exceptions... they're great, of course! But part of me also thinks that we would see many more of them if less emphasis was put on episodes in general. The quickest way to learn is by tackling small projects, so someone who made single levels for a few years and worked their way to making a ~15 level episodes will not only have vastly more levels released by the end than someone who started out by making an episode, but the episode will also be of higher quality and has a higher likelihood of even getting finished, because the person knows what they're in for in an episode, because they know their level-making-workflow and the scope of the whole ordeal.

The culture revolving around judging by screenshots and everyone working on-their-own is perpetuated by the secretness in which most episodes are kept, as well as the long development periods (it's 2020 and most feedback I see around is still about visuals). Meanwhile, SMM2 community members encourage each other to upload drafts of their levels for feedback and you'll find levels uploaded to the game that have dozens of revisions because people interact with each other on short-term projects. They even manage to make collabs in a single-player engine without a file-sharing system. Simpleflips has a similar kind of dynamic built around his frequently hosted romhack competitions. The atmosphere is so much more friendly than over here. I wish this community could do the same as it would help alleviate the problem of someone dunking themselves into the cold water of a 60 level episode with the illusion that their first project will be the next big thing. I don't have a solution for this, at least none that works in tandem with the existence of episodes.
At the end of that ramble I would like to point out that a released package of submissions to Level of the Month would fill a similar role to an episode release a month, I think. Even if they're just lvlx files in a folder for you to double-click and play. But de-emphasizing episodes would allow the currently-around-10 standalone levels per month to rise to double, as people who in this reality don't work on episodes might have ideas for levels to make over a weekend or so. And the more levels people release, the more feedback and advice they can get, the more they can share their ideas with others, and the better their releases will become. There isn't too much different between that reality and having one well-made episode worth of content per month, I think.
I think what make episodes special to me has always been the structures of it, and I don't feel like it just relies on a story. New Super Mario Galaxy X for example, isn't just a collection of levels, but an episode that is galaxy-themed, uses an open world 3D mario game structure, and presents an engaging story. Even for simpler episodes like Airship Attack, I feel like it has a lot more value than just enjoying a collection of levels. There are castles in (almost) every world, the worlds have their own theme, and the fascinating concept of the difficulty of the game increasing with every level. There are a lot of episodes that do follow the string of mario levels that are being put in an overworld like you have mentioned, but I do still personally find the idea of episodes more fascinating than stand-alone levels because: A) It's so far the only fangame where you have the freedom to create games (or episodes) on a fangame focused on mario mainly and B) because of the endless creativity that can be put on an episode.
SMBX YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJbYuy ... _z3srbCohQ
Latest Bells's Episode: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25034
(Currently on Hiatus)
Image

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8882
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Enjl » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:36 pm

(this is a response to aero but i took to long in writing it)

Regarding creativity stuff, here are some pointers to other communities that seem to be doing well in this regard:
Smwcentral has an event calendar with contests and events for the year planned out. C3 is basically E3 for SMWcentral, with people showcasing their WIP hacks, levels, sprites, scripts, and releasing demos and content throughout the event. There are various prizes and trophies, too. Here are all the C3s that are archived.
CarlSagan42's Discord Server has a channel for people to post their level codes and get feedback, as well as many channels for level submissions. For a level to be submitted, it must have gone through the feedback process a couple of times. It involves a lot of "If you play my level I play yours and we give each other feedback", which is great at establishing connections.
The aforementioned Simpleflips Romhack Competitions focus on making very short SM64 romhacks themed around specific subjects (creepypasta, reimagining SM64, Story levels, linear levels, ...) and from the videos I gather that there is a lot of collaboration in that, as people help each other out if they're stuck at parts of their entry.
While the talkhaus is a very specific kind of community that often bonds over the comment section of a specific youtuber, I find the idea of the shoutbox somewhat enthralling in perhaps establishing more communication at a non-commital level. Talkhaus and SMWcental also host annual "Mosts" events, where various things/people/games are voted on to get community opinion on what was best (while trying to not be mean-spirited).

Aside from that... just a few thoughts.
1) SMWcentral has extensive guides for all of their tools. We kinda need more guides to help people out who are stuck in the various request sections. Because leaving them shouting into the void is unsustainable, but so is someone becoming the dedicated community asset maker/scripter. A dedicated forum for pre-written guides would help solve the sticky-topic-which-i-cannot-find-anywhere problems. Coupled with guides for the editor, various ways of designing levels, using npc configs, lua, paint.net, audacity, the player calibration tool, the world map editor, etc... and the help and support forum ought to be less sad to maintain.
2) I believe I brought this up a while ago, but in case I haven't: I strongly think that it's worth shifting the focus of our forums towards the progression towards finishing something. This could take the form of splitting the projects forum into subforums for "Episodes", "Levels", and "Other" (music, sprites, scripts, etc...) and encouraging people to get feedback early, and encouraging the people giving feedback to provide new ideas that the level maker could incorporate into the level. Once finished, the threads would be moved, just like how project episodes are at the moment. If we wanna extremely lean into this, the "finished" section could be locked for topics but not for post, requiring even creators who haven't made a WIP thread to go through one round of feedback and interaction.
3) Going hand in hand with the previous point, I think the ability to give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down to specific posts would help re-inforce that encouragement. I don't know what the current status is on supported extensions, however.
4) Participation badges for level of the month. Another extension I know nothing about, but which could game-ify the idea of taking a weekend to work on something small for a little reward.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

SBells27
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:23 pm
Flair: Working on a new project right now.
Contact:

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby SBells27 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:31 pm

Saltlord wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:21 am
The problem with projects is that they simply require an amount of time-investment most people are understandably not willing to commit to. Therefore, the frequency at which episodes are released is very low. It wouldn't make much sense to hold an episode of the month contest when three to four episodes come out in a month.

And recently, there has been more discussion about episodes, as proven by the three threads:
https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... 69&t=25231
https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... 69&t=25233
https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... 69&t=25219
True, but episode of the year could be nice, since choosing from around 30 episodes is a good enough amount. In fact, episode of the year can encourage people to make episodes.
SMBX YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJbYuy ... _z3srbCohQ
Latest Bells's Episode: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25034
(Currently on Hiatus)
Image

Aero
Administrator
Posts: 4697
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Aero » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Enjl wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:36 pm
Aside from that... just a few thoughts.
1) SMWcentral has extensive guides for all of their tools. We kinda need more guides to help people out who are stuck in the various request sections. Because leaving them shouting into the void is unsustainable, but so is someone becoming the dedicated community asset maker/scripter. A dedicated forum for pre-written guides would help solve the sticky-topic-which-i-cannot-find-anywhere problems. Coupled with guides for the editor, various ways of designing levels, using npc configs, lua, paint.net, audacity, the player calibration tool, the world map editor, etc... and the help and support forum ought to be less sad to maintain.
2) I believe I brought this up a while ago, but in case I haven't: I strongly think that it's worth shifting the focus of our forums towards the progression towards finishing something. This could take the form of splitting the projects forum into subforums for "Episodes", "Levels", and "Other" (music, sprites, scripts, etc...) and encouraging people to get feedback early, and encouraging the people giving feedback to provide new ideas that the level maker could incorporate into the level. Once finished, the threads would be moved, just like how project episodes are at the moment. If we wanna extremely lean into this, the "finished" section could be locked for topics but not for post, requiring even creators who haven't made a WIP thread to go through one round of feedback and interaction.
3) Going hand in hand with the previous point, I think the ability to give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down to specific posts would help re-inforce that encouragement. I don't know what the current status is on supported extensions, however.
4) Participation badges for level of the month. Another extension I know nothing about, but which could game-ify the idea of taking a weekend to work on something small for a little reward.
I think these are really good ideas. These would be worth expanding on in a thread under Site Discussion. As for extensions there are few and far between that would be useful. I'm not sure how adding a new stat or badge would help anything even if it did game-ify content creation. Restructuring the forums a bit would go a long way. For instance the H&S forum could be given its own category with a forum for guides, a forum for questions, and it could be established in a way that makes threads easy for others to help with (i.e. separating small FAQs from more technical ones, requiring code/error logs if applicable in the OP). That would probably do a lot, and maybe an extension could smooth things out and not necessarily be a system to rely on. The solved topic extension comes to mind with that.
SBells27 wrote: True, but episode of the year could be nice, since choosing from around 30 episodes is a good enough amount. In fact, episode of the year can encourage people to make episodes.

The question for me is not if it can be done but rather should this be done.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser
Posts: 1955
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: The Current Problem on SMBX

Postby Eclipsed » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:41 pm

Enjl wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:31 pm
At the end of that ramble I would like to point out that a released package of submissions to Level of the Month would fill a similar role to an episode release a month, I think. Even if they're just lvlx files in a folder for you to double-click and play. But de-emphasizing episodes would allow the currently-around-10 standalone levels per month to rise to double, as people who in this reality don't work on episodes might have ideas for levels to make over a weekend or so. And the more levels people release, the more feedback and advice they can get, the more they can share their ideas with others, and the better their releases will become. There isn't too much different between that reality and having one well-made episode worth of content per month, I think.
Really good idea, I'll start making monthly zip files of the levels made during the month.
SBells27 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:31 pm
True, but episode of the year could be nice, since choosing from around 30 episodes is a good enough amount. In fact, episode of the year can encourage people to make episodes.
Speaking of which the reason that level of the month works is that levels are a lot shorter and is viable for making a video showcasing all of the levels. Whereas an episode of the year requires someone to play through every single episode that year and there is not a single person who would do that I can think of. Even if there is, most people aren't going to watch a video that long. The other idea is that some episodes are just thrown out the window for level of the year but that is kind of too blunt for my tastes.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 18 guests