10 Years of SMBX

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

10 Years of SMBX

Postby Danny » Fri May 03, 2019 11:23 pm

This year, in 2019, SMBX is officially 10 years old, which is quite a length of time to be around for any online community. This community has gone through several major leadership overhauls, site changes, and pivotal events over its lifetime, and yet it's still alive and kicking, something I wouldn't have been able to believe would happen back in the day, and yet here we are. We may have had our ups and downs, but when things were all said and done, I'm glad to have been part of this community for as long as I have been, it has given me friends who have lasted about as long as the community, people I can share my bonds and interests with, a deep interest in video game development and digital art, and solid memories built off of in-jokes from years gone by that still somehow hold up their tattered comedic value when brought up at just the right moment.
It's crazy to think of all the past users that used to frequent this place and where they are now in their lives and how much 10 years has changed them, and it's even crazier to think that there are still new people coming brand new to this community. I've been amazed at the progress made on SMBX 2.0, something we wouldn't even have expected back in 2011-2012, and it's bittersweet to think of the reactions the community would have had to this back all those years ago.

With that said, how have your experiences with SMBX and the community been? Do you have any particularly prominent memories from the past years? Has the SMBX community made major impacts on your life in any way? Have you made longstanding friendships with members or members past? And what are your hopes and prospects for the future of the community? I'd love to hear what you've got to say.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Happy new decade
Current Project: Rosalina's Satellite (yet again)
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Re: 10 Years of SMBX

Postby Scroll » Fri May 03, 2019 11:40 pm

I have been on this community for one year now, and my experiences have been great, I have been discussing on the Discord groups (or at least a few of them lol), I'm now a judge in a contest, I have been in a few events, I help with some little projects and I also have my own one which has good reviews so far, and although I don't even have much time on this community, I've made friends, like ThePieSkyHigh, LGLMAKING, PopYoshi, and other people that has supported me and vice versa. I'm excited about what's to come with SMBX2, like a lot of people does, in the most recent build there were such a lot of things that catched my attention

I'm surprised of the fact that a fangame community has survived 10 years now, it's something that a lot of people would feel proud about. I hope it keeps like that for many more years.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Current Project: Producer of the Novaverse
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:22 am

The smbx community has been a blessing and a curse at the same time, it has been a blessing because I found friends, I found people who genuinely support me and I found people with similar interests, the curse part is that because of this community, I want to always improve and be active with it, work on million projects and put a lot of time into them so I can stand out from the crowd of users and prove my value as a creator and most importantly, gain the respect of fellow creators through my hard work and dedication. So in short words, bittersweet at the moment.

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Postby Rhosty » Sat May 04, 2019 2:58 am

I've known of SMBX for years, but I've only been on the forums for about 3. I've started to get to know the people here more, and it feels great.

MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Sat May 04, 2019 7:14 am

Wow, 10 years old... I've been with SMBX for as long as I can remember. Sure, I only joined a few years ago, but these were the times where I didn't even know what a forum was... I remember at my old school, everyone would crowd around the computers when someone brought in a new game on USB. One of my friends once brought SMBX... And that was how I discovered it. I made levels for years, none that I'd like to share, but those were the simpler times. SMBX really did inspire creativity in me, and it helped bring me and one of my close friends together, due to this common interest. It was only until a few years ago that I decided to join the forums, try new versions of SMBX and begin my current project. There I joined contests, events and helped out with other projects. Thank you SMBX, and to all those on the forums who helped me feel comfortable in this small community.
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Oshi
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: Nothing interesting here, move along
Current Project: Not worth mentioning
Chat Username: Oshi#3433

Postby Oshi » Sat May 04, 2019 12:25 pm

It's been about 4 or 5 years since I have first got accustomed to SMBX, though I do remember leaving for a bit once to focus on other things. Around this time, I was about 10 or 11, but I didn't join the forum until I was like 11 (I might have an unconfirmed earlier account but I have some doubts). I don't remember being active much at all at first for whatever reason, I don't know why, but it was around 2017 that my activity skyrocketed (when I changed my name to Musicality). One of the biggest things I did was make my webcomic, Quality Journeys, but I also made and played a few levels (I actually had plans to make my own episode!). This also carried into 2018, but I started to make the switch to Discord that year (and a little bit of 2017 too), and it was honestly one of the best decisions I ever made. OFF TOPIC TIME but I met whole new groups of people and I started to actually get engaged, I also, surprisingly, found the closest friend I ever had.

One thing I do miss however is the so-called "veterans" of SMBX, the community just feels smaller without them. Though there are still some around, they are far in-between. But I'm glad that we are still going strong here, even picking up new members, and I hope with SMBX 2.0 we will become that community again.
If you are interested in Mafia, RTD, or DnD, please check out Minigame Plaza. Unfortunately the server has been declining recently, and we would like people like you to join.
Spoiler: show
godblessamerica21 wrote: when i get mod your ass is grass amigo
projects I support: show

KingBowser24
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Master Procrastinator
Current Project: Tamara's Quest: Remastered Edition
Chat Username: EvilKingBowser

Postby KingBowser24 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Damn, ive been into SMBX since 2010 but didnt join these forums until 2015. Crazy that it has been that long already!

Ill be honest until i found these forums I thought SMBX was completely dead, since i knew it was originally taken down by Nintendo and such

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 pm

days of boiling activity, days of boredom, days of shakeup, days of thrill, days of turmoil and drama, days of reconciliation, days of adventures while playing, days of deaths while playing, days of shitty bugs, days of great stuff ... thank you, SMBX and the community, my life would be perceptibly more boring without you.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

KBorg64
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Flair
Current Project: GFX Pack
Chat Username: kborg

Postby KBorg64 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:22 pm

Wow, 10 years. I've technically been here for 4 years (which is crazy tbh), but I've only been extremely active within the past year or so. Before then, I would be here in random, short bursts. I honestly wish I would've been active here for all 4 years, but I've changed as person in just a few short years, and I probably would've done a lot of stupid stuff back in 2015. In a way, I'm glad I'm here now as I've matured more, but wish I could of experienced the community back then. Both are conflicting thoughts, I know, but that's just how I feel. Anyway, cheers to 10 years of SMBX!

EDIT: Also, we should really do something for SMBX's 10 year anniversary. Perhaps the SLAM collab could be that special event?

Formerly 64searchman46.

Main Youtube Channel
"The Note Block" Discord server
Discord username: kborg#5607
Switch friend code: SW-0765-3487-6690

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Scroll » Mon May 06, 2019 9:28 pm

64searchman46 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:22 pm
EDIT: Also, we should really do something for SMBX's 10 year anniversary. Perhaps the SLAM collab could be that special event?
Yes probably! And maybe the MaGLX3's results too, I don't know

KBorg64
Pokey
Pokey

Postby KBorg64 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:33 pm

VanillaDude wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:28 pm
64searchman46 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:22 pm
Yes probably! And maybe the MaGLX3's results too, I don't know
Either or both would be amazing for the anniversary! Honestly, a bunch of projects this year are looking amazing, and this year is just great in general for SMBX. Coincidence? Probably...

Formerly 64searchman46.

Main Youtube Channel

MarioLover64
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby MarioLover64 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:12 pm

That moment you realize PvZ is also celebrating its 10th

KBorg64
Pokey
Pokey

Postby KBorg64 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:17 pm

MarioLover64 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:12 pm
That's also crazy. :shock:

Formerly 64searchman46.

Main Youtube Channel

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Scroll » Tue May 07, 2019 12:06 pm

MarioLover64 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:12 pm
Minecraft too

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Rhosty » Wed May 08, 2019 9:20 pm

People have really changed a lot in these couple of years, that's crazy

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Current Project: Producer of the Novaverse
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:37 am

Eureka wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:20 pm
People have really changed a lot in these couple of years, that's crazy
Yeah especially these past 2-3 years, big stuff like the 38A community being accepted here, the new standarts on level design, maglx3/beta 4 and a lot more stuff have happened which changed the community by a lot and i am sure we are not stopping here.

Core
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: Trans <3 She/her

Postby Core » Thu May 09, 2019 5:13 am

Wait it's 10 years finally? Ohh my. I feel myself old.
Join NSMBX's official server! - https://discord.gg/RMYdYfX

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu May 09, 2019 4:23 pm

I wouldn't know how it felt being a part of the whole SMBX community, since I joined it in the 2nd half of the fan game's lifespan.... But let's hope for another 5 years of fun! :D
(Mega Drive GFX Pack coming soon)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD.

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Rhosty » Sat May 11, 2019 9:22 pm

Well if people suddenly stop posting on the forums, I can always go on Discord.

thegameseum
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: h
Current Project: a secret project, which is currently on hold for now.
Chat Username: TheGameseum

Postby thegameseum » Sat May 11, 2019 9:57 pm

I remember when I first discovered smbx. I was probably 8 or 9 and the first smbx video I saw was "What Not to Make in SMBX" by Bossedit8. I was fascinated by it, and really wanted to download it, but my family had a dumb mac, which can't run .exe files, and I didn't even know what that was at the time. Just recently, I got my very own windows 7 laptop that I could do any thing I wanted on. I saw a wide open opportunity to download smbx, and I downloaded and immediately started playing. It felt like I was meeting a childhood friend when I played.
Image Image
walker guy

I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

(GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

I support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

Return to “General”