SMBX Level of Month: August 2018 (Congratulations to 55Jedat555 for winning Level of the Month With Interview)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.

Which level do you believe should win the first ever level of the month

Green Grassy Plains by Toadette012
3%
Fight Against Goomba by computerfan0
3%
Castle Bleck by Blacknight94
No votes
Goomba Stomp Challenge by glitch4
3%
Desert Dreams by Xilore_Inaba
22%
Lakitu Madness by 55jedat555
6%
Wet Swooper Cave by 55jedat555
No votes
Frustration by 55jedat555
22%
August Flying Gods by MyNameIsEric52
9%
3D Showcase by GforGoomba
9%
Fire Fields by CJTheNewbie
3%
Flower Fields by CJTheNewbie
3%
Mushrooms in the Sky by CJTheNewbie
6%
Sweet Sweet Plains by CJTheNewbie
6%
Hidden Desert Oasis by CJTheNewbie
3%

Total votes: 32
Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

SMBX Level of Month: August 2018 (Congratulations to 55Jedat555 for winning Level of the Month With Interview)

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:49 am

Hello, I'm MyNameIsEric52, and this is my new contest idea that I tried to realize most of the time. You and I, users, will be selecting a level for the month. For example, in this one, you will vote for a level of August. I'll explain the idea of contest below:

Idea of Contest

For this month, a video that showcases all of the levels will be provided and after doing so a person can vote for all the levels they think deserve to be level of the month. After doing so, the level with the most votes will win.

Rules

• Levels must be made in the month of question.
  • Levels made by 2 or more people is allowed.
  • Do not submit votes if you have not checked all of the levels.
  • The level can be any version, and Lua is allowed.
  • Your download link of your level should work.
  • No judges. Users can vote for the level of month and for as many levels they want.
  • The winner is the level that got most of votes.
  • Try not to be biased.
  • Contest ends at 12th September.

Q&A

- Outdated, Currently not allowed to change section
Spoiler: show
Q: So there's nothing stopping anyone from voting for their friend's level without having played any of the submissions? Or voting for the "best level they played out of the 50% they did play" when what they played was the worse half of the submissions?
A: Don't worry. The rules are getting updated, and the "biased votes" won't happen i think.
Q: Also doesn't "Level of the Month: September" imply that the submissions were all released throughout the month of September? Like, I wouldn't call a contest held in April 2020 "Level of April 2020" when I restrict submissions to be only levels from November 2017. That contest should be called "Level of November 2017" even if the contest is held far later, since the focus is on the levels and their submission period. Level of the Month used to work exactly like that. LotM August was voted on after August was over to select the best level from August.
A: Alright, you're right here.

Level List

My Discord Nickname:

Chorpe#2611

Special Thanks to:

Eclipsed
Also, some info here: i will upload a link to a poll site at 1st september.

Sponsor Servers

SMBX Episode Projects - 204 Members
SMBX Server List - 90 Members
SMBX Speedrunning - 83 Members
The Novaverse - 82 Members
Eclipsed's Moon Base - 28 Members

Interview:

1) What was your main source of inspiration for making Frustration?

2) Kaizo levels are difficult, regarding that what do you think was your hardest challenge for that level?

3) Do you have any future level plans for smbx in the future?

4) Regarding the difficulty of the levels has there been anything cut out because it was just too difficult?

55jedat555
1) Probably the original Kaizo Mario World series by Takemoto. A few parts of the level were directly inspired by levels from those three ROM hacks.
2) What I struggled with the most while playtesting was undoubtedly the vertical Kaizo Pit at the end of the level, which I thought about taking out, but never did in the end. Not that I regret it, of course.
3) I have a larger-scope project in the works, as well as some other standalone levels, some of which are also Kaizo.
4) Yes, quite a bit in fact. What probably experienced the biggest change was the platforming beneath the munchers part in the first half. Originally, all of the cement blocks were note blocks, so there was no steady ground throughout that entire segment, and there was a Snifit that would shoot bullets, which made the whole thing even worse. After losing my mind I decided to reshape that part to what it is now.
also, may i ask what is the purpose of this?
Last edited by Eclipsed on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 37 times in total.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: SMBX Level of Month: September (Deadline at 1st September)

Postby Enjl » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:55 am

So there's nothing stopping anyone from voting for their friend's level without having played any of the submissions? Or voting for the "best level they played out of the 50% they did play" when what they played was the worse half of the submissions?

Noooot convinced that the results would properly determine the "most beloved level of the month" if the contest can be griefed so easily. How do you plan on enforcing any of these rules?

Also doesn't "Level of the Month: September" imply that the submissions were all released throughout the month of September? Like, I wouldn't call a contest held in April 2020 "Level of April 2020" when I restrict submissions to be only levels from November 2017. That contest should be called "Level of November 2017" even if the contest is held far later, since the focus is on the levels and their submission period. Level of the Month used to work exactly like that. LotM August was voted on after August was over to select the best level from August.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Re: SMBX Level of Month: August 2018 (LOM Contest)

Postby PixelPest » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:47 am

Also by allowing levels of any version you're less likely to have voters play all of the levels before voting

FireyPaperMario
Toad
Toad
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:32 am

Sounds like you need BOTH 38a & SMBX 2.0 Beta 3 to even enter this contest! :o
Custom mega drive playable sprites
Mario RPG goals (62% completed)
My Pixiv
Best Quotes: show
Danny wrote:
Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:49 pm
No creativeness.

Never released an episode anyway.

Never plan to right now, but maybe in the future.
Idunn wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:26 am
That’s how evolution works, nothing disturbing about it.
I'm autistic & have ADHD

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 am

Enjl wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:55 am
So there's nothing stopping anyone from voting for their friend's level without having played any of the submissions? Or voting for the "best level they played out of the 50% they did play" when what they played was the worse half of the submissions?
Why can't you just let people have fun? Not everything has to be met supercritically and idealistic. Also, I'm helping Eric with some parts of his setup right now but not pushing anything. If this doesn't run well, just let him learn from why it doesn't run well.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:43 pm

is this basically a "featured level" equivalent?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Core
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: Trans <3 She/her

Postby Core » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Cedur: Well, something like this.
Join NSMBX's official server! - https://discord.gg/RMYdYfX

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:20 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 am
Enjl wrote:
Why can't you just let people have fun? Not everything has to be met supercritically and idealistic. Also, I'm helping Eric with some parts of his setup right now but not pushing anything. If this doesn't run well, just let him learn from why it doesn't run well.
Short fuse much? Let me elaborate...

Proofing yourself against exploits will prevent situations where unforseen circumstances ruin the fun for everyone.

What I would do is provide youtube videos of every submitted level on the day voting starts, because it's obvious that not everyone can be bothered to download a dozen levels and play them in 2 different engines. With the levels which aren't as good, watching them is also more fun than playing them, so if you're concerned about people having fun, such a rule might be something to have a closer look at.

To improve the outcome I would also not accept submissions but instead automatically nominate every level submitted that month, to give every level of that month a fair shot in the showdown.

To prevent griefing I would advertise it as much as possible. The previous points play into this as well. This kinda thing works best if you rob people of as little time as possible. Youtube videos are a smaller time investment than downloading and playing levels. Being able to see thumbnails of levels piques interest and might get people to stick around for longer and cast a vote.

Lastly, I would remove "levels per person" limits and allow people to vote for their own levels. Why? Cause if you advertise it well enough and manage to catch people's interest, the number of genuine votes will outweigh any friend group trying to push a level towards victory. From what I can gather, you want a representation of public opinion. If someone whose level is in here gathers 5 otherwise inactive members to vote for him, your countermeasure would be to preemptively bring in as many inactive, unbiased people of your own as possible and style your event appealing enough so they cast a vote on their own.

tl;dr loosen the rules and advertise this to the best of your efforts
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Enjl wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:20 pm
Eclipsed wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 am
Enjl wrote:
Short fuse much? Let me elaborate...
You should have just posted possible solutions to the problems you saw in the first place. Since what you posted as an elaboration are really solid points and ideas.

EternalDebris
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby EternalDebris » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:02 am

I'll join, btw the ''Level Of Month'' title makes it more exctiting and fun imo

(don't forget to add me as a contestant!!)

(。◕‿◕。) ~(˘▾˘~) \ (•◡•) /

Muh Favorite Quotes
Sanct: oh my god i made the perfect amount of stairs i am jesus christ
SmoruntPyro: if you don't like kirby, you have no life
Danny: Let me give you some constructive criticism: What the hell
TheKingOfBoos: ...Dude, u think ur President?!...
My Quote: text faces are my speciality...!
I support:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ 幸せな願い!

KIRBY IS LIT AND LEGIT FAM

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Postby Pseudo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:08 pm

First post has been reassigned to Eclipsed per request.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Level of Month: August 2018 (LOM Contest - MASSIVE OVERHAUL)

Postby Eclipsed » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:01 pm

After talking to Eric, I have updated the first post to what the new structure of the contest should look like.

Hello, I'm MyNameIsEric52, and this is my new contest idea that I tried to realize most of the time. You and I, users, will be selecting a level for the month. For example, in this one, you will vote for a level of August. I'll explain the idea of contest below:

Idea of Contest

For this month, a video that showcases all of the levels will be provided and after doing so a person can vote for all the levels they think deserve to be level of the month. After doing so, the level with the most votes will win.

Rules

• Levels must be made in the month of question/
  • Levels made by 2 or more people is allowed.
  • Do not submit votes if you have not checked all of the levels.
  • The level can be any version, and Lua is allowed.
  • Your download link of your level should work.
  • It would be nice, if you would choose the right folder format:
  • No judges. Users vote for the level of month.
  • The winner is the level that got most of votes.
  • Don't be biased.
  • If you submitted the level to contest, then you should vote for the level too (not yours), or your level will be disqualified.
  • Contest ends at 12th September.

Q&A

Q: So there's nothing stopping anyone from voting for their friend's level without having played any of the submissions? Or voting for the "best level they played out of the 50% they did play" when what they played was the worse half of the submissions?
A: Don't worry. The rules are getting updated, and the "biased votes" won't happen i think.
Q: Also doesn't "Level of the Month: September" imply that the submissions were all released throughout the month of September? Like, I wouldn't call a contest held in April 2020 "Level of April 2020" when I restrict submissions to be only levels from November 2017. That contest should be called "Level of November 2017" even if the contest is held far later, since the focus is on the levels and their submission period. Level of the Month used to work exactly like that. LotM August was voted on after August was over to select the best level from August.
A: Alright, you're right here.

Level List

My Discord Nickname:

Chorpe#2611

Special Thanks to:

Eclipsed
Also, some info here: i will upload a link to a poll site at 1st september.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:42 pm

"the 'biased votes' won't happen i think"

Why not?

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:06 am

PixelPest wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:42 pm
"the 'biased votes' won't happen i think"

Why not?
That was from Eric's post. I just didn't know how to deal with modifying his QNA section. I never got complete permission to change the QNA section and he's not here currently. You should ask him that not me. But I have access to announcement channels for 6 different discords 2 of which with 25 SMBX members+, 3 80+ SMBX member discords, and 1 200+ member SMBX discord's announcement channels, all with a fair share of different people, that I can use to ask people to vote in this event after gaining permission to do so. Basically the point below V, I just don't have permission to change the voting for your own level isn't allowed rule.
Enjl wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:20 pm
Lastly, I would remove "levels per person" limits and allow people to vote for their own levels. Why? Cause if you advertise it well enough and manage to catch people's interest, the number of genuine votes will outweigh any friend group trying to push a level towards victory. From what I can gather, you want a representation of public opinion. If someone whose level is in here gathers 5 otherwise inactive members to vote for him, your countermeasure would be to preemptively bring in as many inactive, unbiased people of your own as possible and style your event appealing enough so they cast a vote on their own.
Last edited by Eclipsed on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:05 am

Eclipsed wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:06 am
1 200+ member SMBX discord's announcement channels, all with a fair share of different people, that I can use to ask people to vote in this event after gaining permission to do so.
That one isn't for use at your own leisure.

Also you are the owner of the thread so I don't see why you can't answer those kinds of questions

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Eclipsed » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:12 am

PixelPest wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:05 am
Eclipsed wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:06 am
1 200+ member SMBX discord's announcement channels, all with a fair share of different people, that I can use to ask people to vote in this event after gaining permission to do so.
That one isn't for use at your own leisure.
So, Pixel misinterpreted this as the main smbx discord, when I meant the projects discord.
PixelPest wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:05 am
Also you are the owner of the thread so I don't see why you can't answer those kinds of questions
While I would like to update the QnA the issue with that is while I am the owner of the thread, but it's not my contest that I initiated to run so I can't answer the QnA on his behalf. I'm just taking over for him for the voting phase. I told him I was going to update the rules to make it more clear. Not once did he mention the QnA should be updated or I was explicitly or implicitly given permission to do so. We both agreed to overhaul the idea of the contest and the format.

Added in 1 hour 40 minutes :
Re: SMBX Level of Month: August 2018 (LOM Contest - MASSIVE OVERHAUL+4 NEW SPONSOR SERVERS)
Here is all of our currently sponsor servers

Sponsor Servers

SMBX Episode Projects - 204 Members
SMBX Server List - 90 Members
The Novaverse - 82 Members
Eclipsed's Moon Base - 28 Members

Added in 7 hours 8 minutes 44 seconds:
Re: SMBX Level of Month: August 2018 (LOM Contest - MASSIVE OVERHAUL+A FIFTH SPONSOR SERVER)
We now have our 5th and probably final sponsor for this contest: SMBX Speedrunning - 83 Members preferred to get all 6 on board by 5/6 ain't bad at all.

Eclipsed
Mouser
Mouser

Re: SMBX Level of Month: August 2018 (LOM Contest - VOTING STARTS - VIDEO OUT)

Postby Eclipsed » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:29 pm

Here is the video for this contest, you may vote for any levels you want, any amount you want, and in any way you want so vote for all levels you think should win level of the month.

Squp
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: i can touch all three of my noses with my tongue!

Postby Squp » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:34 am

I can’t tell if this features all the levels released in August or a select few. Also, I noticed you can vote for more than one level.
About the ‘level of the month: September’ thing, it is quite a misnomer. As it was said earlier, it’s not a compilation of levels released in September, it’s a compilation from August. I would suggest that you do change that.
I also think that you should embed links into the level names.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:44 am

So we don't get to download them? Just watch 30 minutes of them being played? It would be useful if you linked the levels. Also I won't be voting since I can't play the 38A ones.

In the rules it says if you vote for your own level you get disqualified...how can you tell that? Also still no answer to how you (or Eric) intended to remove bias since I don't think the rules were ever updated

Return to “General”