The Restricted Ruleset Contest 2 - No Checkpoints (Judge Scores In!)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Re: The Restricted Ruleset Contest 2 - No Checkpoints

Postby PixelPest » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:33 pm

How is that too big of an episode? Probably wouldn't have more than 40 levels. 20 to 30 would be a more reasonable suggestion.

Also when can we release our levels. TheDinoKing already posted a link to them so can we post them ourselves?

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: 4 me 2 no, & u 2 find out.
Chat Username: Mariogeek2

Postby mariogeek2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 pm

xDestroy wrote:
mariogeek2 wrote:
xDestroy wrote:Can i make the episode please?
I was actually planning on making it. My plans are to make a giant contest episode that's an accumulation of all the contests, probably up to #5. I'm sure we could collab on it, bro! :)
That would be way to big of a episode though, and as well; you should post a episode for the contest before the next contest
PixelPest wrote:How is that too big of an episode? Probably wouldn't have more than 40 levels. 20 to 30 would be a more reasonable suggestion.
Assuming I have the same amount of participants for each contest that I did this one, by the end of #5, I would have 41 levels to deal with. I don't expect that to be too unreasonable. The recent ToB episodes had anywhere in the 70-80 range. Each contest can be a tier, with the 1st contest's level (Yes, just 1 level. I guess people weren't really hyped for the contest.) being the joke/trash tier. Those are my plans, at least. If my future contests get more popular, and the submissions swell, I'll probably cut down on the number of contests for the 1st episode to 3 or 4.
Also when can we release our levels. TheDinoKing already posted a link to them so can we post them ourselves?
Yeah, sure. Go for it!
Spoiler: show
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

xDestroy
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: shut the fuck up
Current Project: shut the fuck up
Chat Username: BALLS

Postby xDestroy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:53 pm

Can we at least see the judging results?
no

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mariogeek2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:17 pm

I'm still waiting on MECHDRAGON777's reviews. After I get those, I'll probably post them.
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:18 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:I'm still waiting on MECHDRAGON777's reviews. After I get those, I'll probably post them.
You have enough judges iirc. Just post them without Mech's since they'll probably take a long time as always

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:59 pm

PixelPest wrote:
mariogeek2 wrote:I'm still waiting on MECHDRAGON777's reviews. After I get those, I'll probably post them.
You have enough judges iirc. Just post them without Mech's since they'll probably take a long time as always
I already submitted. I should have mentioned I was not able to do so til now. I just hope none of the levels were left out. (I just downloaded the nine levels today.)

ImageImageImage

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mariogeek2 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:32 pm

All right! Like Mechdragon said, he's sent the reviews to me. I'm going to post the results soon. Just need to do all the math necessary.

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:23 pm

Guess the math took too long, rip

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord)

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Re: The Restricted Ruleset Contest 2 - No Checkpoints (Judge Scores In!)

Postby mariogeek2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:50 pm

All right guys! The scores are in! And guess what:

PixelPest won!

And, for his prize, he will be getting the exclusive... bragging rights! (Sorry, friend, but I don't have any legitimate prizes :()

Also, I want to thank everyone who contributed to this contest: the participants and the judges. This would be impossible without you guys. And thanks be to the judges for being so patient (I am a horrible contest organizer, I sincerely apologize for any frustration I gave you guys).

That is all. Congratulations, PixelPest!

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... hp?t=16308

Postby Radiance » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:11 am

mariogeek2 wrote:All right guys! The scores are in! And guess what:

PixelPest won!

And, for his prize, he will be getting the exclusive... bragging rights! (Sorry, friend, but I don't have any legitimate prizes :()

Also, I want to thank everyone who contributed to this contest: the participants and the judges. This would be impossible without you guys. And thanks be to the judges for being so patient (I am a horrible contest organizer, I sincerely apologize for any frustration I gave you guys).

That is all. Congratulations, PixelPest!
Can you somehow be more transparent with the results?

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:45 am

as in, what are the scores?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

xDestroy
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: shut the fuck up
Current Project: shut the fuck up
Chat Username: BALLS

Postby xDestroy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 am

oof. i guess no one likes my level
Last edited by xDestroy on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
no

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:04 am

It wasn't explicit but the scores are in the OP

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Radiance » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:14 am

PixelPest wrote:It wasn't explicit but the scores are in the OP
Damn.

Tbh I really expect Inspirited's level win the second place. Congratulations to PixelPest btw

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mariogeek2 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:27 am

PixelPest wrote:It wasn't explicit but the scores are in the OP
Crap. Guess I should've paid more attention when I was posting the results. Sorry :(

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:38 am

it's all good, you had a successful contest in the end
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Tbh, i wasn't expecting to even get into 5th place, i also feel like pixel was a bit too harsh, or not, maybe i just don't like when a review is nothing but negative. But hey, i guess i'm somewhat improving, since i know i can do much better than this, and hopely will next time.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord)

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:37 pm

Mosaic wrote:Tbh, i wasn't expecting to even get into 5th place, i also feel like pixel was a bit too harsh, or not, maybe i just don't like when a review is nothing but negative. But hey, i guess i'm somewhat improving, since i know i can do much better than this, and hopely will next time.
Too harsh? I have you a point more than Mech did. You're lucky too since my original score was lower before I went back and replayed It. My biggest problem was that it just wasn't fun. It was repetitive, poorly developed, and the last puzzle part honestly ruined the whole level. If that section hasn't been there I would've probably given it a 6 or 6.5. I just didn't think there was much to it otherwise and it was just rompy and unoriginal.
Radiance wrote:I didn't figure out on how to go up by the sign so I experimented. While I'm on my way stomping on a buckethead Goomba, the bucket popped up and I was shocked. I suggest you use the metal bucket for the first buckethead Goomba so the player can experiment on how these buckethead Goombas will help you throughout the level. I loved how the level flows as it introduces the buckethead Goombas one by one, from wooden to metal to spiked buckets. The level seems too short if you didn't collect all the coins or maybe it's just me wanting to play this level some more.
Just a few questions.

So you said I should use a metal bucket to start, but why? I feel like wooden is a good start for a few reasons. (1) It forces the player to understand the mechanic and how to work with it before moving on as they have to realize the timing and the height. If they fail another one just spawns and they can try again and get used to the arc. Putting a metal bucket at the beginning just allows them to ride around on it and get to the upper part without really knowing what's going on. (2) It's easier to teach the player about the metal versions second than the wood ones. If they're expecting the bucket to break and they jump on a metal one, nothing bad happens. They may not get the bounce they expect because the bucket doesn't break, but they might realize that in time to jump and have a second chance if not. On the other hand, if a metal one is introduced first and a wooden one second, the player jumps on the wooden one expecting it to be solid but instead it breaks. Then they're no longer able to use that one either and had no means of figuring it out. In general since the level introduces things mostly by experimentation, I though a lot when designing it about what the player needed to learn the mechanics and the order to introduce things based on what they would be expecting and how many chances they get to figure something out.

It also was a short level because I couldn't put a checkpoint in it and wanted to maintain a certain level of difficulty to keep things interesting.

Anyway, I hope to release my level soon, probably tomorrow

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Radiance » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:26 am

PixelPest wrote:
Mosaic wrote:Tbh, i wasn't expecting to even get into 5th place, i also feel like pixel was a bit too harsh, or not, maybe i just don't like when a review is nothing but negative. But hey, i guess i'm somewhat improving, since i know i can do much better than this, and hopely will next time.
Too harsh? I have you a point more than Mech did. You're lucky too since my original score was lower before I went back and replayed It. My biggest problem was that it just wasn't fun. It was repetitive, poorly developed, and the last puzzle part honestly ruined the whole level. If that section hasn't been there I would've probably given it a 6 or 6.5. I just didn't think there was much to it otherwise and it was just rompy and unoriginal.

I'm still baffled by the fact that Mosaic got a higher score than me but he got harsher review.
PixelPest wrote:
Radiance wrote:My review
If they fail another one just spawns and they can try again and get used to the arc.

I didn't know that the Goomba spawns in that place lol. (Maybe I'm too impatient? I restarted the level once I failed to move on.)

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:25 am

Lol I placed a generator there at the beginning so that if you miss once, another Goomba respawn from the pipe.

Also, your level was kinda fun, but oc the start position was wrong so there just wasn't much to it. A lot of the jumps were pretty counterintuitive and the trial and error in this level was really annoying as there were no checkpoints. Also by grabbing an incorrect goal, the player has to wait a while to restart the level. In general it needed better telegraphing of jumps and paths to take, for this setup in a no-checkpoint level, and maybe either less trial and error since checkpoints wouldn't help when you grabbed the wrong goal. Also, the eerie generator was the most annoying thing; it had like a 10-second delay and frustrated me every time

Return to “General”