The Restricted Ruleset Contest 2 - No Checkpoints (Judge Scores In!)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: 4 me 2 no, & u 2 find out.
Chat Username: Mariogeek2

The Restricted Ruleset Contest 2 - No Checkpoints (Judge Scores In!)

Postby mariogeek2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:17 pm

Hello, Super Mario Bros X Community! Got a new contest for you! Been planning a contest for several months, haven't been able to post one because of all the other contests going on, was going to post this up this Sunday, crap happened, didn't have the time, and it got pushed to today. Tough luck, I guess. But it's been pushed back for too long! So today, my SMBXian brethren, I bring you:

The No Checkpoint Contest!

That's right. A "No Checkpoint" contest! So, what exactly does that mean? Well, in case you're absolutely confused and not able to use context clues, it's a contest where you won't be able to use checkpoints in your levels. I know... shocking. "Well, Mariogeek2, why are you doing this? Why are you using that as the gimmick for your contest?" Well, mostly because I think it would be interesting to see what kind of levels people would be forced to make if they couldn't use checkpoints. No more of these drawn-out, super-long levels (I hope). Instead, short & quick rushes of fun. Here are the rules:

- Violation of the reds mean your level is banned from this contest
- VIolation of the pinks result in a point reduction from your level score

- Your level cannot be made in SMBX 1.4
- Neither the public nor judges can know which level you've made
- No checkpoint NPC in your level (if there is, we'll remove it!)
- No LunaLua tomfoolery that acts as a checkpoint (i.e. bringing the player back to a spot after they've died)
to circumvent the rules because it's not "technically" a checkpoint NPC.

- You must submit the level before the deadline. Failure to submit by 5 days after the deadline (Nov. 5) will result in a disqualification.
- The level must be finished and actually beatable
- Your level must end in a star and have no more than three
- Your level cannot end the game

Judges (if you want to be one, you can reply in this thread or PM me about it):
- MECHDRAGON777
- Mr. Briney
- TheDinoKing
- Just_smbx_fan
- MosaicMario
- PixelPest (Backup)

Participants (Bolded have submitted their level):
Inspirited
Mr. Briney
xDestroy
Musicality_Minister45
RhysOwens
thehelmetguy1
MosaicMario
PixelPest
Hani
Sanct
litchh

SUBMISSION SCORES:

#10 - lvl by Radiance/Mr. Briney - 1/10
Spoiler: show
PixelPest
1/10
This level was very short, likely because the player start position was placed near the end and skipped most of the level. Interesting aesthetical choices that somewhat worked, though even when I moved the player start position back to what I assumed was the start, the level is designed purely based on trial and error; you can't expect the player to jump into a pit to find that the pit isn't there or wait an extensive amount of time for an eerie to be generated, to name a few examples.
#9 - Bullet Bulls*** by Sanct - 3.5625/10
MECHDRAGON777
2/10
I love this level, but it is hard to play the level and it feels mostly spam. At least I found it enjoyable? ...but in reality, just becuase I like something does not mean it is good. For me, I had to run through it fast or my computer would lag. It is also too long of a level for this kind of contest and this type of level. Thanks for the fun time though.

Radiance/Mr. Briney
5.125/10
This level deserves a checkpoint tbh.

It's hard but not too hard that's impossible to beat. At the start point, if you don't move, you'll be killed by a bullet bill. The NPCs feel spammy to me as most of them produces projectiles. I'd suggest removing some of the NPCs that produces projectiles.

Set aside the NPCs and this level is actually good. I appreciated the level as I can feel the airship atmosphere, I'd suggest adding some BGOs inside the ship, though.
#8 - Greenstone Mt by Musicality_Minister45 - 4.4375/10
MECHDRAGON777
5/10
This is an average level that is SMW styled and tries to be YI themed. the main issue with this level is in Zone two where you need to throw a Goomba or Koopa Shell upward to hit a switch to advance. What happens if you destroy all of the enemies, but not hit the switch? The .gif should explain enough. Image I am also against the steep slopes without the PAI for them. Image This final image is just showing why you need to be careful with BGOs and Sizeables. Image

Radiance/Mr. Briney
3.875/10
The green cave tileset doesn't match in overworld and the music. I suggest using a grassy or flowery tileset for the overworld as it matches in the background and the music.

The 64 by 32 slope is very buggy. Once you kick a shell towards it, the shell will go up very high. The character walks very slowly on it while NPCs walk normally on it.

The level is pretty short but not too short to make the player not satisfied on its length.
#7 - Let's break the 4th wall - Inspirited - 4.8375/10
MECHDRAGON777
1/10
Interesting concept, but the SMW cam felt like it ruined it. I wish it had working music though.

Radiance/Mr. Briney
8.675/10
Why every enjoyable levels tends to be short and always leaves the player hanging?

This is an enjoyable one. You can interact with the blocks through the cursor and you can use the cursor to make a way for the player to go through the level. I felt sad that I thought I can use it to interact with NPCs.

Imo SMWCam.lua isn't necessary and just made the level slightly more difficult as it limits the player's vision.

This level explains its gimmick most safely among all the contest levels.

This ended up too short and left me hanging. I expect more things with this gimmick as I play the level (e.g. making a bridge made of switch blocks and let a character walk on it). I suggest making the level longer and add some more gimmicks in it
#6 - Wooden Rise - RhysOwens - 5/10
MECHDRAGON777
5/10
This is an interesting level that had me scared for a glitch that you somehow did not cause. I am impressed on how well you used a mostly vanilla tileset and everything seems to fit nicely together for a forest theme.
#5 - Boomblast Facility - MosaicMario - 5.014666666666667/10
MECHDRAGON777
3.569/10
Nice use for the 2.0 Blocks, but the last part made no sense. I ended up guessing right, but added spikes at the bottom instead of lava made it worse by prolonging the death of the player if they got it wrong. Most players do not want to be killed by a riddle instead of skill. Especially in a level with no checkpoint. The level also felt light on power ups as I only found two.

Radiance/Mr. Briney
6.975/10
I enjoyed this one but it ended up quickly and I also saw some negative things in this level. This level has many cutoffs and all of the cutoffs are in the conveyor belt. As far as I know, there is a graphic for conveyor belt sides. The next one is you should indicate which pipe where the bomb spawns so the player wouldn't be confused. The last one is the exit of the bonus area makes it hard to go back to the main path. For all Mario games (official) that I played, this is the only one that makes the player suffer for going into bonus areas. I can't say it's wrong but I find it weird.

The usage of the TNT blocks made me enjoy the level but it ended too quickly, I am expecting for more challlenging gimmicks(e.g. jumping from one TNT block to another while there's hazard below) through the use of TNT blocks but I was unfortunate.

Remove the cutoffs and make the level longer and you'll have a higher score.

PixelPest
4.5/10
A pretty rompy level with some tight sections and difficulty spikes, as well as poor development of an overused gimmick (throwing bombs to break small brick walls). Some poor design and aesthetical choices, such as backtracking and the use of signs to randomly create a puzzle to tell the player which jump will not kill them (which is just before the star so this makes it increasingly frustrating without a checkpoint) which was incoherent with the fast pace of the rest of the level. The music was an okay fit until it became so upbeat. Overall it just wasn't an enjoyable experience.
#4 - Forest Maze - xDestroy - 5.2625/10
MECHDRAGON777
7/10
This is an interesting level that allows for any character besides Link. I find it ironic how two mistakes are made with the way the land is made. (lower then higher with a hole you can fall though as well as a pipe the player needs to lower.) I would like to note that any character can preform these with a leaf, not just Peach. Image Image

Radiance/Mr. Briney
3.525/10
The thing I appreciated in this level is you can choose which character to play although you'll just play the level in the Level Editor and just change the character in the Test Settings.

There are too many cutoffs in your level, there is also inconsistency on using fill blocks. In the first(?) section of your level, there is a large chunk of land that you'll see that there's different in the fill blocks. If you're using fill blocks, make sure that you use the matching fill block in the right chunk of land/blocks. Also some parts of the level is too cramped and some parts are too open. I am not against about the open parts of your level as the background of your level seems that it happens near outside the forest. I suggest adding more space on the cramped areas.

To me, the sound of your level doesn't fit. Forest Maze music somehow works into the deeper parts of the forest and your level seems it occurs in the outer part of the forest.
#3 - A Hot Propeller Fleeting - litchh - 6.0725/10
MECHDRAGON777
7.57/10
For an auto scroller, it does get clever later on which the difficulty range from easy to progressively more difficult. The only unfair parts in the level were the end when I tried to balance the Propeller block by spin-jumping on the diagonal Podoboos which I was not aware of being spin-jump proof. Also, I need to point out all of the extra Propeller blocks seems a bit odd. How would you even make it that far without a propeller block?

Radiance/Mr. Briney
4.575/10
Let me divide your level into three parts, the first part is the part with line platforms, the second part is the part with lava, and the last part is the part where you jump into a vine then jump again to another vine. The first part is easy and boring. The reason why is you'll only encounter chasing paratroopas. Although chasing paratroopas, it wasn't enough to make it more exciting. I think adding some grinders, parabeetles or some aerial enemies in the first part would make it more challenging. The second part is the reason why your level scored a little bit higher. I felt excited when I was playing this part. The last part is hard. Jumping from vines to vines is already a difficult task then you add some hazards below the vines while the level is scrolling. I think it would be better if you add few platforms in the last part so it would not be too hard and add some enemies too. Although I appreciated how your level flows, from very easy to hard to very hard.

Your level also seems empty. I think it would be better if you add some clouds or scatter the lava falls.
#2 - Typical Lava Level - Hani - 7.2625/10
MECHDRAGON777
7/10
Short reverse auto-scroller that felt like a cartoonish design. It was enjoyable, and I really liked the touch on the firebars.

Radiance/Mr. Briney
7.525/10
I appreciated the level's aesthetics. (I guess it's Hani's level) The addition of toxic fog feels unnecessary as it's very slow and it doesn't add a challenge to the player. I suggest making the toxic fog move faster or adding more NPCs outside the toxic fog.

The level's not too short and also not too long but if you move at the same speed with the toxic fog, it's very long. So if you're planning to make the toxic fog move faster, make sure you'll extend the level as well.
#1 - Buckethead Seascape - PixelPest - 9.2125/10
MECHDRAGON777
9.7/10
This level was spectacular and I saw nothing wrong with it besides it being short. I liked the aesthetics down to the nice and charming gimmick. Wish people used this a bit more; however, the secret star seems a bit mean to get if you make the slightest slipup in destroying NPCs.

Radiance/Mr. Briney
8.725/10
This level is the most enjoyable of all the submissions but it left me hanging. I didn't figure out on how to go up by the sign so I experimented. While I'm on my way stomping on a buckethead Goomba, the bucket popped up and I was shocked. I suggest you use the metal bucket for the first buckethead Goomba so the player can experiment on how these buckethead Goombas will help you throughout the level. I loved how the level flows as it introduces the buckethead Goombas one by one, from wooden to metal to spiked buckets. The level seems too short if you didn't collect all the coins or maybe it's just me wanting to play this level some more. I suggest extending this level and introduce some more buckethead Goombas (e.g. aerial buckethead Goombas).
Okay, that's about it, guys. When you finish your level, just PM it to me. To be a contest judge, you have to have judged at least one level before. And level reviews will be an X/10 score. All judge slots are filled. One final thing:

The Deadline is October 31st!

That is all! Happy designing :D

The contest is over. No more submissions, no more judges, just the results.
Last edited by mariogeek2 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... hp?t=16308

Re: The Restricted Ruleset Contest 2 - No Checkpoints

Postby Radiance » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:37 am

Can I be a judge and a participant at the same time? If yes, then I'll sign up for both.

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:47 am

This tempts me to do a Braid rewind.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:16 am

The bright yellow lines are quite an eyesore. You can easily change that to orange.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

xDestroy
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: shut the fuck up
Current Project: shut the fuck up
Chat Username: BALLS

Postby xDestroy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:36 am

IN
no

Inspirited
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Inspirited » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:06 am

The0x539 wrote:This tempts me to do a Braid rewind.
:O :O :O But wait. That's basically just thousands of checkpoints ^^
Check out my levels!

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mariogeek2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:07 am

Mr Briney wrote:Can I be a judge and a participant at the same time? If yes, then I'll sign up for both.
Sure, man! Guess this means I need to find a backup judge... sigh.
Cedur wrote:The bright yellow lines are quite an eyesore. You can easily change that to orange.
I know. I was trying to find a color that wasn't orange (Because I didn't want to 'rip-off' the Community Contests), and yellow seemed like the next best thing. I'll probably change it.
xDestroy wrote:IN
Okay!
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

Oshi
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: Nothing interesting here, move along
Current Project: Not worth mentioning
Chat Username: Oshi#3433

Postby Oshi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:30 pm

NIN, and this time I WILL submit, even if it is suck.
If you are interested in Mafia, RTD, or DnD, please check out Minigame Plaza. Unfortunately the server has been declining recently, and we would like people like you to join.
godblessamerica21 wrote: when i get mod your ass is grass amigo
projects I support: show

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby RhysOwens » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:49 pm

SIIIGNING UP!

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:32 pm

sure

TDK
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby TDK » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:44 pm

mariogeek2 wrote: I know. I was trying to find a color that wasn't orange (Because I didn't want to 'rip-off' the Community Contests), and yellow seemed like the next best thing. I'll probably change it.
Yellow is one of the worst colours to use for text. I don't see why the CCs using orange would be a reason not to use it, there's a reason why orange was used instead of yellow in those contest.
If you want to not be seen as a CC rip-off, you should make sure that there are no unnecessary harsh rules like disqualification for showing your level.
Also these two rules contradict each other
mariogeek2 wrote: "- You must submit the level before the deadline.
- You must submit your level at least within 5 days after the deadline"
Anyway, I would like to be a judge.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:51 pm

yeah, it should say "at most 5 days". (obviously it's the mechanic introduced in GEx).
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:11 pm

I can be backup and will also consider submitting something

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:27 pm

LLEW I SSEUG LL'I EVIG TI A TOHS

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord)

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mariogeek2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:50 pm

Musicality_Minister45 wrote:NIN, and this time I WILL submit, even if it is suck.
RhysOwens wrote:SIIIGNING UP!
thehelmetguy1 wrote:sure
MosaicMario wrote:LLEW I SSEUG I EVIG TI A TOHS
Signed up!
PixelPest wrote:I can be backup and will also consider submitting something
Okay, great! Thank you so much!
TheDinoKing wrote:Yellow is one of the worst colours to use for text. I don't see why the CCs using orange would be a reason not to use it, there's a reason why orange was used instead of yellow in those contest.
If you want to not be seen as a CC rip-off, you should make sure that there are no unnecessary harsh rules like disqualification for showing your level. Also these two rules contradict each other. Anyway, I would like to be a judge.
The yellow was an idiot move on my part. I'm going to change it ASAP. As for the rule about disqualification for showing your level off publicly, I did it because of the whole "Make sure that judges can in no way be biased" situation. Anyways, about the deadline rules, I tried to set up the rules regarding the deadline so that you would get a point removed for not submitting by the deadline, and would be disqualified for not submitting before 5 days after the deadline. Also, thanks friend! Welcome aboard!

Dr Vivian
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Kelp World 2

Postby Dr Vivian » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:54 am

I'm considering entering.

Just know that someone is going to make a really long level and it will be tedious for having no checkpoints. I just know it.

Oshi
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: Nothing interesting here, move along
Current Project: Not worth mentioning
Chat Username: Oshi#3433

Postby Oshi » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:51 am

Quick question: Why are LunaLua checkpoints a more severe penalty than regular old in-game checkpoints exactly?
If you are interested in Mafia, RTD, or DnD, please check out Minigame Plaza. Unfortunately the server has been declining recently, and we would like people like you to join.
godblessamerica21 wrote: when i get mod your ass is grass amigo
projects I support: show

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mariogeek2 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:29 pm

Dr Vivian wrote:Just know that someone is going to make a really long level and it will be tedious for having no checkpoints. I just know it.
I know. I'm absolutely expecting it. No doubt about it.
Musicality_Minister45 wrote:Quick question: Why are LunaLua checkpoints a more severe penalty than regular old in-game checkpoints exactly?
Because in-game checkpoints are so much more easily removed than LunaLua checkpoints (I'm assuming). The NPC is as easily removed as selecting the Eraser and left-clicking over it. With Lua, it's a matter of finding the lines of code and removing them without screwing up the rest of the code.

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... hp?t=16308

Postby Radiance » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:57 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:With Lua, it's a matter of finding the lines of code and removing them without screwing up the rest of the code.
You could just delete the lua file ask the participant how to remove those checkpoints.

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:23 am

mariogeek2 wrote: Because in-game checkpoints are so much more easily removed than LunaLua checkpoints (I'm assuming). The NPC is as easily removed as selecting the Eraser and left-clicking over it. With Lua, it's a matter of finding the lines of code and removing them without screwing up the rest of the code.
ever heard of ctrl+f?
im bored

Return to “General”